• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The misguided attacks on ACLU for defending Neo-Nazis" - The Intercept/Greenwald

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

How is it that so many other countries are able to make hate speech laws that aren't abused but it isn't possible for the U.S.?

A rare moment of agreement with Greenwald.

People calling for the erosion of free speech protections in the midst of the fucking Trump administration are so misguided I don't even know where to begin.

"this will strengthen their movement" uh did y'all miss the literal March of Nazis on a US city? Like even a decade ago that's unthinkable.

Pretty sure they already were strengthened.

It's baffling. I don't get how people can just throw away their principles on this, about fucking Milo no less. The ACLU has defended worse people, for decades, but this twerp seems to push people over the edge? I don't get it.

And what's the solution? Are people seriously advocating giving the current administration authority to determine what hate speech is? The fucking president just 'both sides' a literal white nationalist rally. Who do people think is going to be most affected by the Trump administrations restrictions of speech?

so do nothing because nothing can be done? kind of insulting to say people should just accept being treated like shit because nothing can be done about it.

lol @ folks so eager to hand over their rights to the Republican controlled government.

what do you think will happen? life will become regimented? you can already see what unfiltered free speech looks like (ya know terrorists running over people over statues of slave owners). we can already see what criminalizing hate speech does in other countries (surprise, life isn't a gulag)

Lynn616

Are you serious?

Am I serious about breaking down someones ideas and engaging in point for point debate? Yes. You dont agree?

Would you disagree that yesterday's neo-nazi rally contained neo-nazis?

I saw pictures of a Nazi flag and people doing the Nazi salute. So I would assume that those people supported Nazi ideals. I would disagree that everyone at the rally was a Nazi.

Glass Rebel

Hindsight is 20/20 but hate speech laws (and other measures) should have been put in place ages ago. It's going to take decades to undo the damage.

lol @ folks so eager to hand over their rights to the Republican controlled government.

Exactly. People are incredibly short sighted.

If you give up your rights in order to get rid of groups you don't like, as soon as the next administration (or current in this case) comes along they can use those same laws to oppress you.

Mechazawa

Yeah maybe not, but they could have prevented yesterday from happening and a good chunk of his support.

Sure, but you're missing the point that I'm making. If you want to put restrictions on free speech, you're going to have to change the power structure of things like the presidency because right now we have a Trump figure with broad and far reaching powers that can make appointments to things like the justice department, who are currently attempting to twist wording and precedents to fuck us.

Par Score

I won't post the whole article because it's long, but Greenwald - as so often - is completely right. The ACLU doesn't defend these nazi's shitheads because they agree with them, but because the ACLU wants to uphold the law, which means that even nazi shitheads get to spout their shit.

Don't like that? Well, change the laws then. Americans are always so proud of the First Amendment, but that also means nazis get to march and spout their hate. I don't like nazis (I despise them, they're scum), but your (I'm not American) laws defend their rights to speak out loud. That's the only thing the ACLU is protecting and upholding: citizen's rights

If the law works in the favour of Nazis, then it's a shit law.

If the ALCU is going to defend a shit law on principle, then their principles are shit and so are they.

Fuck Nazis, and fuck the ALCU.

Nikodemos

How is it that so many other countries are able to make hate speech laws that aren't abused but it isn't possible for the U.S.?
Unfortunately for the US, the nazis control portions of the government right now. Having them of all people draft anti-hate speech laws would result in disaster. They need to be removed from their positions and only afterwards have a bunch of strong anti-hate laws enacted.

Lol @ folks so eager to allow terrorist organizations to continue their slow march to advance their goal of murdering minorities with impunity like the good old days.

You sleep on these mofos if you want. Good old moderates. There for us as always lol...

depressedmetfan

Neo Member
I agree with freedom of speech but if people are going to say whatever they want, they should be prepared to suffer any backlash they receive.

In other words, if Nazis want to spread their hate, others should have the right to shut them up.

Because there isn't a judge in the country that would interpret European speech laws being legally possible anymore than European gun laws would be possible here without amending the constitution

KevinRo

This thread is all fucked. The people in here have selective hearing and reasoning. The best post is the typical European trying to implore how broken America is.

What is even worse is how people can't see free speech being impeded on when it comes to their agenda. Politics is great. No, human introspection is great.

The most insane thing is these same people were salivating with the fact that they could silence talk show radio hosts a few years ago yet somehow they backtrack on this issue. Mindblown.

A rare moment of agreement with Greenwald.

People calling for the erosion of free speech protections in the midst of the fucking Trump administration are so misguided I don't even know where to begin.

I think you need to get rid of the Trump administration before you look into hate speech laws.
Well yes that would be the plan. Trump would never even make a no nazi law so I'm not sure why you guys are entertaining the idea that this bill is gonna happen under him.
Am I serious about breaking down someones ideas and engaging in point for point debate? Yes. You dont agree?
If someone is doing a nazi salute while wearing a swastika armband and marching with swastika flags they are a nazi and don't deserve a fair debate.

Exactly. People are incredibly short sighted.

If you give up your rights in order to get rid of groups you don't like, as soon as the next administration (or current in this case) comes along they can use those same laws to oppress you.

we can point to countries that, ya know, make these illegal and they seem to be doing very well. but that doesn't fit your narrative.

JB1981

If the law works in the favour of Nazis, then it's a shit law.

If the ALCU is going to defend a shit law on principle, then their principles are shit and so are they.

Fuck Nazis, and fuck the ALCU.

How old are you for real? Have you exposed yourself to even the most basic US law courses?

Toxi

Banned
I don't think the ACLU went against their stated principles by fighting for the right of white supremacists to march at Charlottesville. They just highlighted that their absolutist principles aren't always for the public good. Whether you support them is up to you.

Three people are dead and many more injured. They wouldn't have been if this rally didn't happen. Period. Allowing people who adhere to an inherently violent ideology to publicly assemble led to violence, and will continue to lead to violence in the future. Again, up to you whether that is an acceptable price to pay.

dlauv

How come Nazi protesting rallies aren't considered "hate speech," which we have laws against? Wouldn't the ideology behind Nazism and white supremacy be inherently hateful?

Like, the reasoning.

There should be no mistaking what Nazis will do when they are allowed to rally as speech. A torch is not speech, a tower shield and a baton is not speech. Rifle squads are not speech. The ACLU should recognize that these are what constitutes a Nazi rally, not speech.

Greenwald is a Nazi sympathizer.

samn

If we're not prepared to uphold the law even when it is fucking agony to do it then it was never really a law in the first place, and we should stop pretending we ever cared about it.

I don't think the ACLU went against their stated principles by fighting for the right of white supremacists to march at Charlottesville. They just highlighted that their absolutist principles aren't always for the public good. Whether you support them is up to you.

Three people are dead and many more injured. They wouldn't have been if this rally didn't happen. Period. Allowing people who adhere to an inherently violent ideology to publicly assemble led to violence, and will continue to lead to violence in the future. Up to you whether that is an acceptable price to pay.

Heinous people can lawfully protest. LAWFULLY.

They did not this weekend.

Let's not conflate lawful, constitutionally protected forms of protest - even from fucking disgusting scum of the earth - with the events of this weekend. Let's not start banning lawful protest because of a brazenly unlawful one.

Let's not conflate lawful, constitutionally protected forms of protest - even from fucking disgusting scum of the earth - with the events of this weekend. Let's not start banning lawful protest because of a brazenly unlawful one.
Then maybe the ACLU should stop pretending they protected a lawful protest yesterday.

molnizzle

we can point to countries that, ya know, make these illegal and they seem to be doing very well. but that doesn't fit your narrative.

Do those countries elect leaders like Trump? With bigots like Jeff Sessions in charge of their Justice department? With an administration that would love nothing more than to surpress the freedom of the press and disseminate all news through government propaganda?

Do you trust a Republican congress to enact these laws in an acceptable manner? It's nice to want things, but we live in the real world. The right to free speech is more important now than ever. It needs to be protected because of leaders like Trump.

How come Nazi protesting isn't considered "hate speech," which we have laws against?

Like, the reasoning.

Because it's still technically an opinion until they make a specific threat to a specific person

The argument is that it's the difference between "It would be great if someone brought a bomb on an airplane", being protected where as getting on an airplane and screaming "I have a bomb", is not.

FZeroRacer

Neo Member
The ACLU needs to accept that yes, it is partially their fault that a woman lies dead because of neo-nazi aggression. They need to not deflect and act like the criticism is misguided or act like people aren't rightfully pissed off.

If they're going to follow their principles to the full extent then they need to accept the consequences.

Toxi

Banned

This protest was 100% lawful until it wasn't. It is lawful to protest while carrying torches and rifles and wearing riot gear. It is lawful to rally for violent ideologies.

But it's not like the moment that someone does something unlawful, they're instantly kicked into the police station. This protest was clearly a situation that would lead to unlawful violence, and by the time people could do anything about it three people were dead and dozens injured.

shoelacer

Banned
so do nothing because nothing can be done? kind of insulting to say people should just accept being treated like shit because nothing can be done about it.

I'm saying that handing the keys over to the Trump administration because the ACLU is defending Milo is dumb and reactionary. The ACLU have defended the free speech rights of the KKK for almost a century now. Like it or not, they have the right to spread their garbage, and the ACLU have always been on the side of defending that right. This isn't some groundbreaking precedent, and turning on them over this is juvenile.

JABEE

My problem with this is our country has a history of persecuting political agitators like communists and anarchists. The first half of the twentieth century was filled with anti-sedition movements and calls against hyphen Americans for bringing over their radical ideas.

They should be roundly criticized. “America-First” and “Fascism” is an idea that should be denounced by our public officials. The problem is our elected officials, the people who represent us, not talking and acting against discrimination, fascism, and hate.

The ACLU defending the constitution is not promoting monsters, it is our neighbors and their elected officials promoting and standing by white supremacists.

Kenai

What is the ACLU doing to make up for yesterday? Or are they continuing to double down? I don't think there's an answer that is both "good" and "realistic" regarding hate speech laws in this country, but people died yesterday and the ACLU were complicit in giving those people a platform. So I repeat: what are they doing to make up for yesterday?

BajiBoxer

Banned
Who gets to say what a terrorist is? Dangerous road you go down there. If you put in a restriction or law in place that can be at the users whim, you will find it stretches far beyond what you think it will stop.
Nazis slaughtered millions of people. The KKK has used physical violence, including murder, to push their racist agenda for over 100 years. They were terrorists before Al-Qaida was even a thought in someone's mind. Not sure where the slippery slope is here. We already take out terrorist cells.

LionPride

Banned
People have the right to say whatever the fuck they want, much like how I have the right to tell em to shut the absolute fuck up

Toxi

Banned
It bears mentioning that the reason why the city wanted to relocate the site of the protest, a motion the ACLU fought against, was public safety concerns.

I don't know why someone hasn't floated a constitutional amendment to ban Nazi-related hate speech, symbolism, and imagery.

The ACLU, which I support, should get on lobbying for that.

Vice

In the current climate, if free speech was restricted it wouldn't be the neo Nazis punished by the Trump administration.

The symbols may be banned but it's not like the underlying ideology is gone. The AFD exists.

And got absolutely irrelevant in record time. They can't even get 10% anymore. As soon as everyone was aware that they contained nazi elements that they wouldn't drop they started tanking.

The NPD exists too. Hate speech laws don't erase nazis, but they're doing a good job on containing the spreading of such ideology.

Do those countries elect leaders like Trump? With bigots like Jeff Sessions in charge of their Justice department? With an administration that would love nothing more than to surpress the freedom of the press and disseminate all news through government propaganda?

Do you trust a Republican congress to enact these laws in an acceptable manner? It's nice to want things, but we live in the real world. The right to free speech is more important now than ever. It needs to be protected because of leaders like Trump.

well, we did elect Harper and got rid of 'em.

we all live in the real fucking world. you act like the government is going to put the country into lockdown and super China censorship levels -- they fucking will not even if they're republican. sure, it won't be 100% perfect but its a god damn start. so this "real world" shit doesn't work because other countries do it just fine and they still go through the dirty laundry phases. it's about conditioning the country to realize this shit isn't OK and usa isn't doing that.

the right to free speech has got you into this mess. your country is by law giving these groups the right to speak, insult, intimidate, and act against people. even if you want to defend these people out of "principle" you're misguided because obviously your principle sucks if its allowing this to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom