• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The misguided attacks on ACLU for defending Neo-Nazis" - The Intercept/Greenwald

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
well, we did elect Harper and got rid of 'em.

we all live in the real fucking world. you act like the government is going to put the country into lockdown and super China censorship levels -- they fucking will not even if they're republican. sure, it won't be 100% perfect but its a god damn start. so this "real world" shit doesn't work because other countries do it just fine and they still go through the dirty laundry phases. it's about conditioning the country to realize this shit isn't OK and usa isn't doing that.

the right to free speech has got you into this mess. your country is by law giving these groups the right to speak, insult, intimidate, and act against people. even if you want to defend these people out of "principle" you're misguided because obviously your principle sucks if its allowing this to occur.

I appreciate what you're trying to say.

But you're disregarding the fact that the lawmakers that are in place right now, would have say over what is "hate speech." When the bill goes through Congress, it is going to have been touched by many people who aren't going to have all of America as beneficiaries of the law. "Hate speech" could end up being this nebulous, open-ended definition that hurts, more than it helps. Actions could be defined as hate speech. Intent could be defined as hate speech. And just so you know where my bias lies, as a PoC, I am pretty sure that it will be used against folks who look like me. Because bending the knee during the National Anthem could be considered hate speech, to some.

How does hate speech laws or ACLU being against this particular protest prevent a Nazi/White supremacist from getting into a car and running people over? Generally speaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom