• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most logical NX control innovation for Nintendo ?

BowieZ

Banned
Honestly I think everyone having their own personal handheld which acts as a console controller is the most logical step forward. Bring your controller to other people's houses and have it automatically sync in and you get points for playing with friends or something.

The controller itself being a widescreen but you can flip it sideways (portrait mode) to switch into double screen mode (e.g. to accommodate DS or 3DS virtual console) or use the TV plus full controller normally as top and bottom screens.

(The issue here is button placement so they just need to come up with a clever solution so that whether you're holding it normally (landscape) or sideways (portrait), you have access to relevant buttons. This could potentially be achieved with some sort of dynamic haptic feedback hotspots design, for example.)

kirby_fox

Banned
Fully expecting just cross play, and the console working with your phone better than other apps have.

Not an expensive controller included, instead it'll utilize what you already own.

oni-link

I honestly just want an affordable console with a standard controller and robust and well stock virtual console where your games are tired to your account not your system, and no more shitty 50Hz PAL versions, it's 2016, this shouldn't be an issue

I don't think innovation in control input will help them, no one really wants that, and even if it's fantastic it won't help them shift units, they won't repeat the success of the Wii, there is no market for a dedicated gaming system aimed at anyone but the hardcore, and the hardcore don't like gimmicks

If you want to see Nintendo sell more than 10m units of their next system then you have to hope they don't faff around for a 3rd generation in a row, can you really see them flopping with a 2nd system in a row and then staying in the console market?

They need a niche, and I think they'll have better luck trying to innovate with software, it's what they're good at, they've never been that good with hardware

Honestly I think everyone having their own personal handheld which acts as a console controller is the most logical step forward. Bring your controller to other people's houses and have it automatically sync in and you get points for playing with friends or something.

I expect that will be part of it. Even the wii remote was designed with controller portability in mind hence being able to store Mii data inside.
Here I think you'd optionally be able to use handhelds as console controllers and the new control scheme can be fully supported by the handheld.

RK128

The controller will be a devices you attach to your arms, legs and ears. And you move the character based on sensors and a camera hooked up to the system/TV! If you get attacked or hit in the game you get a shocked and if you die in the game, the shock is stronger. Immersive gaming everyone!
That was a joke, but wouldn't be surprised if that really happens XD!

- - - - - - - - -

To be serious, I'm not expecting much with the controller. It will be a Wii U Pro Controller with some extra features (L/R being scroll-able click wheels, small touch screen in the center of the controller).

They will try to pitch the system towards gamers this time out, so hopefully they ensure the controller is more in line with the PS4/X1.

benedictm

Banned
Its very sweet everyone keeps saying that you don't want a gimmick just a simple controller but that's not the question.

There WILL be some sort of gimmick, it will almost certainly be control related so roll with it.

A gamepad, really. Like the pro controller. Putting bumpers on the bottom of the pad, like the steam controller, would be pretty cool. I can't play with fingers on all triggers at once, it's uncomfortable.

Galava

On the home console i see ver hard to accomplish without strapping two cameras to your face, but in the handheld, having the face close to the device, two cameras on top of the screen could do the trick.

But I don't think Nintendo would make his console a lot more expensive just to add an eye tracking system.

What if it was more about camera view rather than aiming? you still use a controller to aim weapon or actually move?

The main problem would still be the same.

Hopefully this quickly edited image of jacksepticeye's playthrough of Vanguard V illustrates the problem better:

xWdILBK.jpg

The green laser lines show the rough directions in which his eyes are currently looking. If you'd put yourself in his shoes (and head), you'd realize he's covering a very large screen area with his gaze, maybe even larger that a cinema screen.

If he was actually looking at a 2D screen like a TV, he'd have to make these extreme head movements but still keep his eyes strained to look at a fixed point where the screen actually is, which defeats the purpose of certain interactive actions, others would still work, but it's still not ideal I think.

I think the gimmick will be smartphone integration through gameplay. Think Zelda Four Swords Adventures, where instead of needing GBAs and link cables you can just connect your smartphone wirelessly. The "Wii Sports/Nintendoland" game for NX could easily revolve around this concept (and amiibos, of course).

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
The only gimmick I want is that the controller actually looks like something someone could hold comfortably in two hands.No 3 arm controller like the N64,no 2 pices of stick like the Wii and no brick like the Wii U.I would be completely satisfied if the just re release the GameCube controller with the new system or copy and paste the X360/XB1 controller.

Arulan

Well, seeing as how the Steam controller is perhaps the most significant controller innovation in 20 years, I'd say start with that. Valve tends to be fairly open when it comes to sharing research, assuming legal action would stand in the way.

It would be great for consoles to adopt it (or something similar) if for nothing else than to relieve the hampering of game design and user-interface design by traditional dual-analog controllers.

Pinky

Banned
I honestly just want an affordable console with a standard controller and robust and well stock virtual console where your games are tired to your account not your system, and no more shitty 50Hz PAL versions, it's 2016, this shouldn't be an issue

I don't think innovation in control input will help them, no one really wants that, and even if it's fantastic it won't help them shift units, they won't repeat the success of the Wii, there is no market for a dedicated gaming system aimed at anyone but the hardcore, and the hardcore don't like gimmicks

If you want to see Nintendo sell more than 10m units of their next system then you have to hope they don't faff around for a 3rd generation in a row, can you really see them flopping with a 2nd system in a row and then staying in the console market?

They need a niche, and I think they'll have better luck trying to innovate with software, it's what they're good at, they've never been that good with hardware

The bolded is quite the assumption. I do want innovation in controller inputs. However, the innovation needs to be clear and effective from the get go. Whatever Nintendo has up their sleeve needs to make sense to gamers the moment they see it. No confusion or question about what the innovation brings to the table. It needs to click instantly and make the gamer go "Ahhhhhhh, okay! I get it!" That's why Wii was such a success. As much as I love the Wii U gamepad, it failed to achieve this. Many thought and still believe to this day that it's an add-on for the Wii. That and Nintendo, outside of a few titles, has failed to really justify the need for such a controller.

Nintendo certainly can have Wii-like success again, but the innovation behind NX has to click and offer something very enticing and desirable to gamers.

You say core gamers don't like gimmicks, but shouldn't we wait and see what the gimmick or hook behind NX is before we jump to conclusions? Gimmicks are not bad if they work and offer something effective. People need to stop assuming that "Gimmick=Automatically Bad".

Hopefully this quickly edited image of jacksepticeye's playthrough of Vanguard V illustrates the problem better:

xWdILBK.jpg

The green laser lines show the rough directions in which his eyes are currently looking. If you'd put yourself in his shoes (and head), you'd realize he's covering a very large screen area with his gaze, maybe even larger that a cinema screen.

If he was actually looking at a 2D screen like a TV, he'd have to make these extreme head movements but still keep his eyes strained to look at a fixed point where the screen actually is, which defeats the purpose of certain interactive actions, others would still work, but it's still not ideal I think.

Track IR is based on this concept, but I guess it's usually used with a big desktop screen filling a wider fov than an average tv would.

orioto

Good Art™

xWdILBK.jpg

That's really interesting actually i didn't think about that. It seemed to me i was doing really subtle movement with my head while playing, but maybe not at all... For it to work on a tv, you would need to have something subtle enough so you barely move your head, just changing the orientation. But maybe that's just a calibration thing and it's totally doable.

oni-link

The bolded is quite the assumption. I do want innovation in controller inputs. However, the innovation needs to be clear and effective from the get go. Whatever Nintendo has up their sleeve needs to make sense to gamers the moment they see it. No confusion or question about what the innovation brings to the table. It needs to click instantly and make the gamer go "Ahhhhhhh, okay! I get it!" That's why Wii was such a success. As much as I love the Wii U gamepad, it failed to achieve this. Many thought and still believe to this day that it's an add-on for the Wii. That and Nintendo, outside of a few titles, has failed to really justify the need for such a controller.

Nintendo certainly can have Wii-like success again, but the innovation behind NX has to click and offer something very enticing and desirable to gamers.

You say core gamers don't like gimmicks, but shouldn't we wait and see what the gimmick or hook behind NX is before we jump to conclusions? Gimmicks are not bad if they work and offer something effective. People need to stop assuming that "Gimmick=Automatically Bad".

I'm not even saying they're bad, I'm saying the market doesn't want them, kinect is generally not really wanted, or even advertised anymore, pointer controls are dead, the Wii U sold poorly, no one else is evening bothering with second screen gaming

Meanwhile, everything with a standard control or kb/m is doing better than ever, more PC gamers are using a gamepad than ever, consoles are selling at record numbers

Gimmicks are fine, just not if you want to sell a console to gamers, and if you want to sell a console to non gamers, good luck with that, everyone has a smart phone now, it's not 2006 anymore, they can't replicate the Wii with more gimmicks

That's really interesting actually i didn't think about that. It seemed to me i was doing really subtle movement with my head while playing, but maybe not at all... For it to work on a tv, you would need to have something subtle enough so you barely move your head, just changing the orientation. But maybe that's just a calibration thing and it's totally doable.

I brought this up in the locked NX thread, but Pixart (Nintendo' partner for the Wii Remote IR camera) was working with Google and Amazon on Head Tracking for AR. Nintendo have also considered something very similar if someone wants to dig up that "3D Viewing on 2D Display" patent.

My idea was to mount a camera or beacon on top of a headset, so that you kill two birds w/ one stone: voice chat and head tracking.

The only gimmick I want is that the controller actually looks like something someone could hold comfortably in two hands.No 3 arm controller like the N64,no 2 pices of stick like the Wii and no brick like the Wii U.I would be completely satisfied if the just re release the GameCube controller with the new system or copy and paste the X360/XB1 controller.

Whats funny about your statement is that the Wii controller / nunchuck combination is arguably one of the most comfortable controllers ever. I could often play a game with my arms at my sides in the laziest position I could find. What exactly was uncomfortable about that?

Thraktor

If we're going with crazy input speculation, I'm going to put my money on 3D slide pads.

Regular slide pads have received a bit of a bad rap based on the 3DS, where it has a smaller range of movement than people are used to with analog sticks. This is a limitation of the handheld form-factor, though, rather than an inherent limitation of slide pads, which could be implemented with pretty much whatever range of movement a manufacturer desires (and arguably have a larger practical limit on range of movement than analog sticks, due to the fact that increased lateral movement doesn't also need to be matched by an increased radius of vertical movement). An evolution of slide-pads, though, could theoretically give us something that sticks couldn't: true 3D input.

Basically, take a slide pad as used on the 3DS or the early Wii U controller prototypes, and then add a mechanism where the player can push the pad in towards the controller by a centimetre or two to add analog Z-axis control. Increase the X and Y axis movement for good measure and you've got a fully 3 dimensional analogue input mechanism. Take this hastily shopped image as an example:

3dslidepad.png

It would follow Nintendo's history of introducing new input mechanisms for character movement:

1983 - Famicom - D-Pad (two-dimensional digital input)
1996 - N64 - Analog Stick (two-dimensional analog input)
2016 - NX - 3D Slide Pad (three-dimensional analog input)

To be honest the way I'm imagining it it would probably be as awkward as holy hell to actually use, but at least it would be pretty damn interesting to see games try to make use of it.

Track IR is based on this concept, but I guess it's usually used with a big desktop screen filling a wider fov than an average tv would.

Yep, it depends on the size of the screen and its distance. As I said, Track IR works, but it's a bit limited to what you can actually do and how you do it. Then again, so is VR, it all depends on what you want to do.

I guess the subtler the movement, to more precise sensors needed, and even then there will still be more error on the player's part and less precision because all of our natural motion is very wobbly, stuttery and pulsating (hence the "shaky cam effect" etc.). You actually have that calibrated sensitivity when using Track IR, it's just that I fear that very subtle head movements and limiting precision kind of defeat the purpose of why you'd be using head tracking in the first place, it just wouldn't be as functional and as effective. Makes it even worse if the Nintendo NX maybe has to give identical experiences on a console and handheld etc. Still though, I might be exaggerating a bit since I haven't had much experience with Track IR nor VR, but I still think it would be a significant hurdle.

orioto

Good Art™
I guess the subtler the movement, to more precise sensors needed, and even then there will still be more error on the player's part and less precision because all of our natural motion is very wobbly, stuttery and pulsating (hence the "shaky cam effect" etc.). You actually have that calibrated sensitivity when using Track IR, it's just that I fear that very subtle head movements and limiting precision kind of defeat the purpose of why you'd be using head tracking in the first place, it just wouldn't be as functional and as effective. Makes it even worse if the Nintendo NX maybe has to give identical experiences on a console and handheld etc. Still though, I might be exaggerating a bit since I haven't had much experience with Track IR nor VR, but I still think it would be a significant hurdle.

At least we could reasonably hope for Nintendo to have a really dedicated tech with perfect optimization (hardware and software wise). After all Proton Pulse or Vanguard V are done by one guy and they are done for something different (a headset). If Nintendo would work on this particular tech i'm suggesting, they would optimize it wayy more for the purposed usage.

Rodin

A regular controller with a 4.5" 540p screen in the middle, scrollwheel bumpers and that head-tracking thing you're talking about in the op.

At least we could reasonably hope for Nintendo to have a really dedicated tech with perfect optimization (hardware and software wise). After all Proton Pulse or Vanguard V are done by one guy and they are done for something different (a headset). If Nintendo would work on this particular tech i'm suggesting, they would optimize it wayy more for the purposed usage.

I mean sure, there's always room for optimization and innovation, although this kind of control technology (head tracking) has been done way before Vanguard V, even Track IR has existed since the early 2000's I think, and I'm sure there have been other more clunky solutions in the past. That is to say, there's might be a limit to what can be done, because fundamentally, the very principle of using head tracking for a 2D screen is problematic by its very nature. On the other hand, it's precisely why it works so well in VR (and AR), because it's natural for that medium.

I could be wrong of course and someone like Nintendo might find a sweet spot to make it all work reasonably well.

Sophisticated dual wii mote that has the full functionality of a regular pad + more.

I don't think they should go with screens again because it's barely used or needed. The only way I see them using a screen is if it's a console-handheld hybrid.

I don't want another gimmicky console from them, just a powerful core machine with excellent software. But with Nintendo they could do anything.

Well, Nintendo is a buyer (probably the largest IIRC) of Sharp's free form display, and filed a patent using the technology. So for example when playing Mario Kart you can a steering wheel controller with a screen in it or something like that. That to me sounds like a "Nintendo Idea" that they would keep close to their chest.

If we're going with crazy input speculation, I'm going to put my money on 3D slide pads.

Regular slide pads have received a bit of a bad rap based on the 3DS, where it has a smaller range of movement than people are used to with analog sticks. This is a limitation of the handheld form-factor, though, rather than an inherent limitation of slide pads, which could be implemented with pretty much whatever range of movement a manufacturer desires (and arguably have a larger practical limit on range of movement than analog sticks, due to the fact that increased lateral movement doesn't also need to be matched by an increased radius of vertical movement). An evolution of slide-pads, though, could theoretically give us something that sticks couldn't: true 3D input.

Basically, take a slide pad as used on the 3DS or the early Wii U controller prototypes, and then add a mechanism where the player can push the pad in towards the controller by a centimetre or two to add analog Z-axis control. Increase the X and Y axis movement for good measure and you've got a fully 3 dimensional analogue input mechanism. Take this hastily shopped image as an example:

3dslidepad.png

It would follow Nintendo's history of introducing new input mechanisms for character movement:

To be honest the way I'm imagining it it would probably be as awkward as holy hell to actually use, but at least it would be pretty damn interesting to see games try to make use of it.

Did you see those weird ShokacPot things? the video I linked to is in the freeform patent thread.

Pinky

Banned
I'm not even saying they're bad, I'm saying the market doesn't want them, kinect is generally not really wanted, or even advertised anymore, pointer controls are dead, the Wii U sold poorly, no one else is evening bothering with second screen gaming

Meanwhile, everything with a standard control or kb/m is doing better than ever, more PC gamers are using a gamepad than ever, consoles are selling at record numbers

Gimmicks are fine, just not if you want to sell a console to gamers, and if you want to sell a console to non gamers, good luck with that, everyone has a smart phone now, it's not 2006 anymore, they can't replicate the Wii with more gimmicks

If you're saying gimmicks aren't necessarily bad, why would you assume that gamers don't want them at all? If something comes along that can be implemented well and effectively revolutionize the way we play games, why would gamers not want that? The touchpad on the DS4 is a gimmick. Core gamers didn't tuck their tails and run when they saw it. It serves its purpose and doesn't hinder the traditional aspects of the controller.

Like I said earlier, I love the Wii U gamepad, but Nintendo failed to clearly sell the idea to the masses. The gamepad is pretty much a traditional input device, but the screen couldn't convince the majority of gamers why its inclusion was warranted or needed.

As for Wii levels of success never happening again, I still think this position is quite close-minded. The Wii sold around 100 million units and it followed right behind Nintendo's worst selling console. All I'm saying is that anything can happen. NX's gimmick/hook has to deliver the goods and knock it out of the park. It could be the most amazing thing we've ever seen and it could be the worst idea ever conceived. Until we know what is, there are no absolutes.

C-Sword

I have no problem with them bringing back the Wii-U Pro controller and make minor changes to it. They'll need something to scan their Amiibos. They should avoid making too many different controllers.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Whats funny about your statement is that the Wii controller / nunchuck combination is arguably one of the most comfortable controllers ever. I could often play a game with my arms at my sides in the laziest position I could find. What exactly was uncomfortable about that?
I never liked it and unless it was mandatory I quickly switched to a Classic Controller Pro every time I was allowed.

Perhaps I'm to rigged to the old fashion way but I was not a fan of having to precisely point at the screen as if I was holding a TV remote or to hold/move the controller in a certain way because the game required the gyroscope to move a certain way.

The only 3 games I truthfully enjoy so much that it made me forget I was being forced to put up with a controller design I didn't like was Metroid Prime 3,No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2 but outside of those I dreaded the games that forced me into this controller scheme and to this day I still haven't played Skyward Sword for this very reason.

I almost just want motion++. I kind of missed having a motion-based console this gen, and thought it would have been cool if the Wii U was just a more powerful Wii with better motion controls.

Wii U GamePad has an 8-axis motion controls. Its motion capabilities are dope! Play Nintendo Land, or Splatoon, or Zelda remakes.

I never liked it and unless it was mandatory I quickly switched to a Classic Controller Pro every time I was allowed.

Perhaps I'm to rigged to the old fashion way but I was not a fan of having to precisely point at the screen as if I was holding a TV remote or to hold/move the controller in a certain way because the game required the gyroscope to move a certain way.

The only 3 games I truthfully enjoy so much that it made me forget I was being forced to put up with a controller design I didn't like was Metroid Prime 3,No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2 but outside of those I dreaded the games that forced me into this controller scheme and to this day I still haven't played Skyward Sword for this very reason.

FYI: you don't have to point the Wii Remote to TV in Skyward Sword (well, you have, but only once before the game starts). It runs purely on gyros without any IR pointer functionality.

3dslidepad.png

Implementing a pressure-sensitive button into the sliding disc-thing would work for adding a Z-axis, and make it a little less awkward whilst keeping it compact. However, there always comes the issue of tactility when it comes to pressure- sensitive buttons.

Thraktor

Did you see those weird ShokacPot things? the video I linked to is in the freeform patent thread.

That's actually pretty interesting, I just watched the video now. There are a couple of issues with it:

1. I can't imagine gamers used to analog sticks being all that happy with squishy foam button things instead. 3D slide pads at least have the same kind of tactile feedback people are used to.

2. It doesn't actually give that great a degree of 3D movement. To go right you need to actually press the foam down on its right side, and any analog lateral movement would effectively have to be implemented as deeper presses of the foam. This prevents the use of deep presses as a Z-axis in every case except for pressing the very centre of the foam.

Implementing a pressure-sensitive button into the sliding disc-thing would work for adding a Z-axis, and make it a little less awkward whilst keeping it compact. However, there always comes the issue of tactility when it comes to pressure- sensitive buttons.

The issue with a pressure-sensitive button is that your Z-axis then has a completely different method of interaction (and range of movement, which in turn limits the sensitivity) than your X and Y axis. In essence it would end up being used like the clicking ability of modern sticks, just with a small degree of analogue interaction.

Top Bottom