• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most logical NX control innovation for Nintendo ?

bman94

My dream tech regardless of what area it's applied to is close to that. "Hard light" holograms, if at all possible at any point in time, would change so much of society it seems funny to consider the tech premiering in video games.

Augmented reality, through the use of lightweight glasses, could be a nice proof of concept though.

I don't necessarily think it's funny to see that tech premiering in games. When 3D got really popular it wasn't possible to use 3D TVs without those expensive glasses. Nintendo was able to do real glasses-less 3D and then was able to improve on the concept. It amazes me that more companies haven't tried to do glasses-less 3D screens.

I like the split controller idea. Basically a more advanced Wii remote and nunchuk setup. An analogue on each controller, button parity with traditional controllers, but the controller can snapped together at the middle or separated for more versatile motion controls.

Pinky

Banned
I like the split controller idea. Basically a more advanced Wii remote and nunchuk setup. An analogue on each controller, button parity with traditional controllers, but the controller can snapped together at the middle or separated for more versatile motion controls.

I always liked this idea and felt it was the natural evolution of the Wii concept. I love the Wii U gamepad, but what you're describing would've been my choice for Wii's successor.

That's actually pretty interesting, I just watched the video now. There are a couple of issues with it:

1. I can't imagine gamers used to analog sticks being all that happy with squishy foam button things instead. 3D slide pads at least have the same kind of tactile feedback people are used to.

2. It doesn't actually give that great a degree of 3D movement. To go right you need to actually press the foam down on its right side, and any analog lateral movement would effectively have to be implemented as deeper presses of the foam. This prevents the use of deep presses as a Z-axis in every case except for pressing the very centre of the foam.

The issue with a pressure-sensitive button is that your Z-axis then has a completely different method of interaction (and range of movement, which in turn limits the sensitivity) than your X and Y axis. In essence it would end up being used like the clicking ability of modern sticks, just with a small degree of analogue interaction.

Yeah it's pretty weird tech, though I don't know if they need to apply as much pressure as it looks like. I agree that slidepads would be best for seperating input of the third axis, moreso than analog sticks.

Thraktor

Yeah it's pretty weird tech, though I don't know if they need to apply as much pressure as it looks like. I agree that slidepads would be best for seperating input of the third axis, moreso than analog sticks.

The issue with 3D slide pads would be how you design the actual pad in order to make sure players can move along the X and Y axes without having to push down on the stick for grip. They'd need, at a minimum, a concave surface on the slide pad, and probably a lip around the side (like on PS4 sticks, but probably more pronounced).

I like your ideas. Eye control in particular would be awesome.

Personally, I just want them to keep third party developers in mind. I'm all for originality, as long as it's not intrusive or mandatory.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Eyebrow tracking is one of those features we'll wonder how we did without.

Just imagine raising your eyebrows to make Mario jump, or to have Link swing his sword. It'll be lightning in a bottle all over again.

notaskwid

Decent sales on their digital games would be something.

Also, the handheld is the controller, it will be released first and even if you buy the console, you won't be able to use it unless you have the handheld (sold separately or in a bundle).

Pif

Banned
A normal controllerlike the PS4 and a partnership with Oculus for both the headset and Oculus Touch controllers.

Pif

Banned
Or this:

6a0120a5580826970c01a73df4e0e1970d-pi

Together: a regular controller
Split: next gen wiimote and nunchuck
Wii U Mode: Using NX handheld attached in between as a second screen. Allows Wii U BC.

Give me this, minimum of 3.2 Tflpos machine and handheld up to snuff in 2016.

Drop Pokemon on both as soon as possible.

Banned
Or this:

6a0120a5580826970c01a73df4e0e1970d-pi

Together: a regular controller
Split: next gen wiimote and nunchuck
Wii U Mode: Using NX handheld attached in between as a second screen. Allows Wii U BC.

Give me this, minimum of 3.2 Tflpos machine and handheld up to snuff in 2016.

Drop Pokemon on both as soon as possible.
1401913528231.png

You're going to be very disappointed and that split controller with the screen is ugly as fuck.

Top Bottom