• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mummy: Demastered announced (WayForward, PC/consoles)

Like every Wayforward game, it looks like it'll have great pixel graphics. Hopefully unlike most Wayforward games it actually has intriguing level design and not just generic blocky platforming that looks like it came from a rightfully forgotten NES game.

emgeejay

What the fuck. This looks amazing. If movie tie-in games just become excuses for indie devs to lovingly and explicitly rip off Castlevania: SotN I am here for it

Oh, it's actually coming for switch too, nice.
This looks good. It being a Metroidvania makes it even better.
I trust WayForward that they can pull this off.

So, let me get this straight. An old-school Metroidvania with dark horror themes. It has an apparently deep weapon system where everything can be upgraded. It has a Dark Souls-on-drugs kind of mechanic where if you die, your character turns into a zombie which you have to beat with another agent to reclaim the lost equipment. And it's gonna be pretty hard, too. And it's coming to the Switch as well. Honestly, this looks and sounds totally awesome. I'm in.

redcrayon

https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/9/25/16353996/mummy-demastered-wayforward-universal-monsters

Ivansmith admits those familiar vibes didn’t happen by mistake. “Our thought was, ‘Let’s take these pieces of Castlevania, and these pieces of Metroid and these pieces of Contra, and try to make them all work together as [their] own thing.’

Nice article on Polygon about this. Essentially a spiritual sequel to Aliens: Infestation on DS. I like the sound of the death mechanics- when your agent falls, you have to hunt down the Wight of your previous self (complete with upgrades) and kill it to get your gear back!

I'm definitely picking this up now.

Timu

So, let me get this straight. An old-school Metroidvania with dark horror themes. It has an apparently deep weapon system where everything can be upgraded. It has a Dark Souls-on-drugs kind of mechanic where if you die, your character turns into a zombie which you have to beat with another agent to reclaim the lost equipment. And it's gonna be pretty hard, too. And it's coming to the Switch as well. Honestly, this looks and sounds totally awesome. I'm in.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/9/25/16353996/mummy-demastered-wayforward-universal-monsters

Nice article on Polygon about this. Essentially a spiritual sequel to Aliens: Infestation on DS. I like the sound of the death mechanics- when your agent falls, you have to hunt down the Wight of your previous self (complete with upgrades) and kill it to get your gear back!

I'm definitely picking this up now.
This really sounds amazing!

M3d10n

WayForward have amazing pixel artists, their games are often well polished and have good working mechanics, but I always get the feeling they don't have enough level designers and always end up compromising somewhere.

Santar

I'm cautiously optimistic about this.
It looks amazing, as expected of Wayforward when they do pixel based art, but so did Thor and that was not a great game at all to me.
Alien Infestation also looked nice but didn't play very well, so stiff and lifeless I thought.
I just really hope this plays as well as it looks visually because Wayforward absolutely can make great games!

I'm down.

Bummed me out how Aliens Infestation was forgotten about on the DS. That game was pretty neat. It would have been great to see that get a console/PC release like this Mummy title.

I love the idea of having to fight off your upgraded agents to get them back into your group and the art style is ace. Will buy as long as it reviews well. Probably won't play for a while as I've just finished metroid and the next metroidvania I want to play is Axiom Verge

Noogy

Man that's some really fantastic pixel art and animation.

I'm down.

Bummed me out how Aliens Infestation was forgotten about on the DS. That game was pretty neat. It would have been great to see that get a console/PC release like this Mummy title.

Same here, Infestation remains my favorite Alien game. I'd love for them to revisit that sometime.

Slime

Banned
So they used the license as an excuse to finally make the perfect, literal distillation of Metroidvania.

Looks awesome.

HotHamBoy

Hype Get.

The Mummy Demastered uses a Halo-inspired arms system that allows you to carry a limited selection of the weapons and subweapons you’ve collected at any given time. In order to swap weapons, you need to find one of the arms depots scattered around the map and change your loadout.

“You can carry two additional weapons at a time, and if you die while carrying those ... well, if you want those weapons again, you need to hunt down your undead self and retrieve them,” Ivansmith says.

Punishment for failure takes a different form: Your fallen comrade becomes corrupted by Ahmanet and joins the armies of the undead, meaning you’ll be forced to destroy him. It’s not that simple, though, because the newly zombified hero literally is you, and possesses all the skills and upgrades your avatar did upon dying.

redcrayon

This is out on Tuesday. Seeing as Amazon haven't ordered enough copies of Fire Emblem Warriors and so my copy seems to be stuck in limbo, I think I'll pick this up to tide me over.

HotHamBoy

This is out on Tuesday. Seeing as Amazon haven't ordered enough copies of Fire Emblem Warriors and so my copy seems to be stuck in limbo, I think I'll pick this up to tide me over.

Oh damn, I was looking for a release date!

Shit, I hope it's good. For $20 I hope it's also decently long or at least has good replay value.

Don't have a Switch and sad it isn't on Vita :(

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
What about them? They've made a bunch of really cool 2D games. I'd imagine this one's like their underrated Alien: Infestation on DS.

I don't get the name though, what the hell does Demastered mean? A Remaster is making something look better than the original. Demastered is...making it look worse? Worse than what? The shitty movie it's apparently based on? I mean it looks great based on the screenshot?

Unless they somehow make the game play worse than the movie...

Top Bottom