• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mummy |OT| A New World of Gods and Monsters

I'm embarrassed to admit but I also thought the 2000s Mummy films were the originals. I had no idea there were many others until this weekend when I was mocked in the NBA Finals thread.

Anyway this new Mummy movie looks interesting and it's impressive that Tom Cruise hasn't aged in the last 20 years. He probably gained an extra 30 years after he sucked all the life out of Katie Holmes. She now looks like she's 70.

I think he will become the good hero Mummy.

Oh..well that's what the trailers imply.. does this mean the films are going to be creating titular characters who go up against Dracula or something

I'm not familiar with historic Universal crossovers tbh, I should do some research.

Tom_Cody

I'm in the theater waiting for my screening to start at 7:45 EST. Tom Cruise plus the cast & crew are here for Q & A before the film starts.

I'll post my impressions here once it's finished.

Just saw it. It's GOOD. It's not great and the first 20 minutes are AWFUL, but then it sort of becomes this quirky, enjoyable blockbuster. The designs are awesome and a lot of the horror REALLY works.

A fun time and I went in with zero expectations.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just saw it. It's GOOD. It's not great and the first 20 minutes are AWFUL, but then it sort of becomes this quirky, enjoyable blockbuster. The designs are awesome and a lot of the horror REALLY works.

What was awful about the first minutes ?

Interesting to hear that there actually is a horror element. Can you expound on that?

How much does it try to set up the universe?

I have a feeling Cruise is just contracted for this film and is going to die at the end of it.

How off am I?

Very off.

Interesting to hear that there actually is a horror element. Can you expound on that?

How much does it try to set up the universe?

There are horror elements, especially the Mummy herself and her "minions", that are really freaky and creepy, especially in how they move around. I liked the Mummy character overall.

It definitely feels like Iron Man 1 in terms of setting up a universe, in fact there were numerous times where I felt like I was watching a Marvel movie, so take that as you will.

zeemumu

I just want more Benny. Love that actor

Benny played a slimy underling in another hammy monster movie

Van_Helsing_poster.jpg

He was Igor

Very off.

There are horror elements, especially the Mummy herself and her "minions", that are really freaky and creepy, especially in how they move around. I liked the Mummy character overall.

It definitely feels like Iron Man 1 in terms of setting up a universe, in fact there were numerous times where I felt like I was watching a Marvel movie, so take that as you will.
Is there any truth to the speculation that
Cruise isn't "Nick Morton", but is, or related to in some way, Van Helsing
?

Is there any truth to the speculation that
Cruise isn't "Nick Morton", but is, or related to in some way, Van Helsing
?

No. If he is, it sure as hell isn't mentioned here. The character's future is going to be....interesting.

I thought Cruise might end up being
Dorian Grey
, an action hero version at least, how close am I?

Not close.

So should I watch standard version or real d 3d version?

I saw it in 3D. Pretty neat but nothing mind blowing.

yodandy

Just saw this. Expected garbage from the trailers and was pleasantly surprised. Agree with the other poster that the humor in this movie is really hit or miss. A lot of the early stuff between Cruise and Jake Johnson is so bad, but the later stuff is better. The antagonist was cool. Crowe was OK but yea, expected more from his "other side". The female character was meh.

Good CG (after seeing that first trailer, whew). Cruise is an action hero as per usual. I think this movie could have done real well around Halloween cause the mummys minions were loud and pretty intense. The whole screening was screaming (much to my annoyance).

I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. Id give it a B. What's next after this again?

Happy to answer any questions. Will post some spoilers once I'm off mobile. Maybe tmr.

kevin1025

Banned
Just saw this. Expected garbage from the trailers and was pleasantly surprised. Agree with the other poster that the humor in this movie is really hit or miss. A lot of the early stuff between Cruise and Jake Johnson is so bad, but the later stuff is better. The antagonist was cool. Crowe was OK but yea, expected more from his "other side". The female character was meh.

Good CG (after seeing that first trailer, whew). Cruise is an action hero as per usual. I think this movie could have done real well around Halloween cause the mummys minions were loud and pretty intense. The whole screening was screaming (much to my annoyance).

I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. Id give it a B. What's next after this again?

Happy to answer any questions. Will post some spoilers once I'm off mobile. Maybe tmr.

Bride of Frankenstein in February 2019.

duckroll

This Saturday might not be a mistake after all.... maybe.

Toa TAK

Banned
Damn I was expecting a dumpster fire, but the early impressions exceeded that.

At worst, I've got American Made to look forward to.

kevin1025

Banned
These early impressions are surprising. I barely had low expectations for this.

If this does well, I wouldn't be surprised if they fast-track something for late 2018

With the cast that they have, I think it could be huge at any time of year! Fall would be great. And they have Bill Condon, who seems to work pretty fast once filming starts.

KyleCross

I enjoyed the most recent movies, Frasier was great, why doesn't he get work anymore?
What I always heard was: His wife divorced him and he has to pay her a ridiculous alimony. In order to support his kids and the alimony he took on questionable roles that led to his star power withering with the whole experience mentally draining him.

How true that all is I do not know, just repeating what I heard.

Apparently the review embargo lifts Wednesday at noon.Just looking over Twitter and the responses seems fairly positive. But the people that don't like it, really fucking hate it.

scarlet

Just finished. I think it was fine, nothing spectacular but very enjoyable.

They removed the scream LOL.

Edit: Cruise, Mummy and Crowe were great, girl was okay, I don't like Johnson.

Humor was alright, until
ghost johnson,
so annoying

Top Bottom