• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The National - Sleep Well Beast |OT| The genius we've been waiting years for

Icolin

Banned
Embarking on my first listen now. Will return in about 24 hours with impressions because I'm going on a bunch of flights, and I want to give myself sometime for this to sink in before inevitably praising the hell out of it.

SD-Ness

As expected, I love this album.

Pitchfork - 8.0; first National album since Alligator not to get bnm

Glowing review, but, in terms of scores, which are presumably not determined by the individual reviewer, Pitchfork continues to seem like they're really looking for a new direction in 2017.
I've read Pitchfork (almost) every day for at least a decade. But its "scoring system" is a fucking joke sometimes. This should be BNM.

...yet it somehow makes the arbitrarily defined "8.0" range.

More generally, I actually hate the idea of scoring any sort of subjective medium -- books, music, films, tv, games, etc. -- it's just a misleading, vague, imprecise way of assessing art.

Anyway, fucking awesome. Can't wait to see them live in a month!

Soma

I really enjoyed High Violet but I felt like Trouble was a huge snooze-fest.

The singles leading up to this were pretty promising so I'm looking forward to hearing the album in full.

dmshaposv

As expected, I love this album.

I've read Pitchfork (almost) every day for at least a decade. But its "scoring system" is a fucking joke sometimes. This should be BNM.

...yet it somehow makes the arbitrarily defined "8.0" range.

More generally, I actually hate the idea of scoring any sort of subjective medium -- books, music, films, tv, games, etc. -- it's just a misleading, vague, imprecise way of assessing art.

Anyway, fucking awesome. Can't wait to see them live in a month!

Numeric scores are outdated for subjective medium.

Pitchfork should adopt double toasted style of ratings -

Better than sex, full price, matinee, rental, some ol bullshit, fuck you!

Maridia

Numeric scores are outdated for subjective medium.

Pitchfork should adopt double toasted style of ratings -

Better than sex, full price, matinee, rental, some ol bullshit, fuck you!

It wouldn't help anything. You'd just have a bunch of glowingly reviewed albums getting rated "full price".

In 2017, Pitchfork's problem isn't that the writers are unenthusiastic, or that the scoring system is myopic; it's that they're unwilling to use their recommendation system, and insist on scoring albums on a scale of 1 - 8, except in very particular circumstances.

It's a problem of editorial direction; there seems to be a mandate that certain genres are just played out and can't score beyond a certain threshold. I hope that they can settle on what's next and start scoring accordingly, because I'm a huge fan of of their reviews (particularly of the variety of material that they review), and it's hard to process what's recommended without a reliable scoring system.

BlueWord

First impression is that this is the best since Boxer, about on par or maybe a little better than High Violet.

I will say I think I preferred The Lights/Kingston to I’ll Still Destroy You, but it’s mostly just the electronic flourishes bookending the same song.

WriterGK

I just started ''Nobody Else Will Be There'' starts really good. If anyone is having doubts. The National grows everytime you listen extra to it :)

Mogwai

Walk it Back is a really interesting track. The sampled speech and the outro is just wow.

I've always loved Boxer and Alligator but never really connected with High Violet nor Trouble Will Find Me. Even after just a couple of listens, the new album feels like it has some of that spark that made me love Alligator/Boxer.

Danielsan

I can always rely on The National for a fantastic album. Already listend to the live version and the previously released 4 songs and I'm now making my way through the entire album.
I already loved Guilty Party and The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness, and Day I Die has really grown on me. Just got through Walk it Back and it's fantastic as well.

It's not that at all. It's a very chill album with mainly just one "rocker" song.

I'd say Trouble Will Find Me was much more chill than this though. They are experimenting more with guitar work and their drum beats, even synths. I mean, this isn't Metallica, but it's definitely has more energy than their last one.

faint.

Halfway through so far... Really digging it. Trouble Will Find Me was one of my favorite albums of 2013, so I'm super happy with how this has turned out so far.

Opening track "Nobody Else Will Be There" gives me xx vibes, and that's a plus for me.

Downloaded on my phone via Spotify and ready to listen on my way home from work this morning. Can't wait. Band's easily one of my favorites.

chris121580

This is absolutely fantastic! Incredible how this band just continues to deliver. Can't wait to receive my vinyl today

Servbot24

Banned
It's not 2005, you don't need need to read Pitchfork anymore :p

After 4 listens I definitely think this is up there with Alligator in the '2nd best' tier behind Boxer.

Anything better than Pink Rabbits in this record?

Musically yes, lyrically I don't think so.

Danielsan

I saw them in Brooklyn a couple years ago and there was a teenage girl next to me who was sobbing hard through that whole song.
I can imagine. I introduced my girlfriend to The National after we met and she absolutely adores that song, as do I. It's probably our favourite song. Good to see more love for it.

Icolin

Banned
I saw them in Brooklyn a couple years ago and there was a teenage girl next to me who was sobbing hard through that whole song.

I don't blame her. It's a gorgeous song.

Every album by The National has at least one or two songs that just kill me everytime I listen to them because they're so damn beautiful. Pink Rabbits, City Middle, Slow Show, Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks...

way too ward to say tbh

1. Bloodbuzz Ohio
2. Slow Show
Pink Rabbits, Cardinal Song, Geese of Beverly Road, Ada, Mistaken for Strangers, Humiliation, and probably others are all in the mix after that

Geese of Beverly Road is my favorite song. Pink Rabbits is close for me. Along with Mr November, and Terrible Love.

Danielsan

way too ward to say tbh

1. Bloodbuzz Ohio
2. Slow Show
Pink Rabbits, Cardinal Song, Geese of Beverly Road, Ada, Mistaken for Strangers, Humiliation, and probably others are all in the mix after that
Excellent taste there. Slow Show is definitely my favourite track on Boxer and Geese of Beverly Road is probably my favourite Alligator song. For High Violet I think it's Afraid of Everyone or maybe Sorrow, though Blood Buzz is also and excellent song.

The most boring band that I will never, ever quit. I like the new one more than Trouble. I will play it a bunch! I'm old.
I can't stand that they keep getting labeled as boring band, but I probably shouldn't care, I much prefer my music to be beautiful and meaningful than exciting. In fact, that's exciting to me.

Blader

One of my favorites of theirs that I don't see pop up a lot is Daughters of the Soho Riots. I don't really like Alligator, but that and Secret Meeting are far and away that album's standouts for me.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
So good, my Vinyl came yesterday so I was able to give a listen.

It's real good. I like Trouble Will Find Me better, but oh man, I could probably listen to the 1-2 punch of Guilty Party & Carin At The Liquor store a million times.

Icolin

Banned
One of my favorites of theirs that I don't see pop up a lot is Daughters of the Soho Riots. I don't really like Alligator, but that and Secret Meeting are far and away that album's standouts for me.

I really, really like Alligator (although maybe that's a bit of nostalgia talking), so I disagree that there's only a few standouts on it, but Mr. November also has to be a standout, surely? That hook is electric. One of the best closing tracks of any album ever, I'd wager.

I agree that Daughters of the Soho Riots is pretty underrated.

Danielsan

So good, my Vinyl came yesterday so I was able to give a listen.

It's real good. I like Trouble Will Find Me better, but oh man, I could probably listen to the 1-2 punch of Guilty Party & Carin At The Liquor store a million times.
So far I definitely agree that Trouble Will Find Me is better. Guilty Party remains the stand out track for me, with Turtleneck being the one track that just isn't for me.

Blader

I really, really like Alligator (although maybe that's a bit of nostalgia talking), so I disagree that there's only a few standouts on it, but Mr. November also has to be a standout, surely? That hook is electric. One of the best closing tracks of any album ever, I'd wager.

I agree that Daughters of the Soho Riots is pretty underrated.

I am the one fan of this band that does not really like Mr. November or Abel, haha. And I don't think it's a total aversion to the hard, screamo rockers either because I dig tracks like Terrible Love and Turtleneck.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
So far I definitely agree that Trouble Will Find Me is better. Guilty Party remains the stand out track for me, with Turtleneck being the one track that just isn't for me.

I'm hoping this grows on me like Trouble did -- When I first heard Trouble, I (shamefully) didn't care for it. After a few more passes, I began to love it.

Niel

My least favorite song in this album is Born to Beg. But it will probably end up growing on me after a while. So far, my favorites are Walk it Back and Turtleneck.

I missed this band so much.

hollomat

Banned
Turtleneck definitely seems to be the most polarizing track on the album. I absolutely hate it. It seems to be going for the same shouting and frantic feel of Abel and the end of Slipping Husband but it completely misses the mark in my opinion.

Just finished my first full overall listen and I definitely love the new album. Will take many many more listens before figuring out how it ranks overall, but I doubt it will unseat Alligator as my favorite. Nobody else will be there and guilty party are the standout tracksdor me so far.

Servbot24

Banned
Turtleneck definitely seems to be the most polarizing track on the album. I absolutely hate it. It seems to be going for the same shouting and frantic feel of Abel and the end of Slipping Husband but it completely misses the mark in my opinion.

Missing the mark of being the same as old songs or misses the mark of being a good song on its own free of context?

Mifune

Mehmber
Boxer aside, I never fully appreciate a National album until the next one comes out. Like right now I totally love Trouble Will Find Me but wasn't wild about it when it came out.

Will give the new one a full listen this afternoon.

One of the most consistent bands of the last 15 years. Fell in love with Alligator in '05, saw them with about 100 people at The Social in Orlando. Was hooked. Gave Matt a light throughout the show as he crooned, smoked cigs and downed a bottle of red.

It just...feels amazing to listen to a new The National album. I don't know what else to say about it. They do this to me every time.

I love every single track. No other band delivers as consistently for me.

hollomat

Banned
Missing the mark of being the same as old songs or misses the mark of being a good song on its own free of context?

Both. It seems like it's trying to take the screaming and rawness of some of their past songs and make something new out of it. But to me it doesn't seem like they got it right with this song.

Don't worry. You'll grow to love it.

Haha, that's definitely been the case with lots of their other songs. In two weeks I'll probably be saying it's the best thing they've ever done. After two listens I'll Still Destroy You is my new favorite on the album

Mifune

Mehmber
Both. It seems like it's trying to take the screaming and rawness of some of their past songs and make something new out of it. But to me it doesn't seem like they got it right with this song.

Don't worry. You'll grow to love it.

Danielsan

Finally listening to this with a good pair of headphones and without distractions. It's certainly a grower. Tracks that I love so far:

- Guilty Party
- Walk It Back
- The System Only Dream In Total Darkness
- Nobody Else Will Be There
- I'll Still Destroy You
- Born to Beg
- Carin at the Liquor Store
- Empire Line

Also Turtleneck, though still not my cup of tea, is a lot more enjoyable when you're not listening through shitty earbuds / speakers.

Blader

I think the first four tracks, Turtleneck, Empire Line, and Carin at the Liquor Store are my favorites so far.

Division Day

Neo Member
Super looking forward to digging into this during the weekend. Have only heard one song so far - was hard to resist the past few months, but I'm glad I did.

Will never stop loving them for Alligator getting me through a very rough time back in 2005. I agree with everyone who has said that they are growers - each album takes a good month or so before it settles into my rotation, but once it's in it's permanent.

Top Bottom