• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The negative stigma of video gaming in pop culture and culture in general ... Gamer, A.K.A. the ‘loser’.

Nickolaidas

From the day of their inception, video games have been praised and ridiculed at the same time for as long as I can remember. In other forms of entertainment, as well as in most societies, video gaming has often being associated with being a loser and a failure in life in general. In its infancy, video games (due to their simple and primitive graphics) were easy to dismiss as something childish or intended for simple people. As they evolved, video games were able to imbue breathtaking visuals, immersive storytelling and content intended for mature audiences.

However, the stigma of video gaming being associated with being a loser is still prevalent in pop culture and society in general.

In Avengers Endgame, when some Avengers go to check up on Thor and tell him to come back to the team, they find him drinking in a dark basement, doing nothing but playing video games. His drinking, isolation and playing video games are all presented as negative things, ergo video gaming is presented as something pathetic and life wasting.

There are numerous tv series and movies where a character is often shown playing video games on a couch when the director wants to show him or her hitting rock bottom. On an episode of House M.D., House makes a bet with one of his subordinates, a very handsome Dr. Chase. House bets that Chase being very handsome is the top reason that other women would like to date him, and no matter how much of an indifferent ass or loser he portrays himself to be, women will still want to date him for the simple fact that he’s handsome. The first woman who sits with him in the bar asks him what he likes to do in life, and Chase answers (quite bored) “I play video games”, as if playing video games is the #1 chick repellent.

This happens in real life as well. Unless a gamer meets a gamer, it is difficult to talk about video games without the other one looking at you as if you’re sub-human or a manboy or something like that. But if talk about soccer, football (or a country’s favorite sport), or the movies, eyes light up and conversations begin.

So why is it? Why is playing a video game like Horizon or experiencing PT or making tactical decisions in X-COM or breaking bones in MK11 is considered something that only a loser would do, yet when you talk about soccer (which is basically twenty guys chasing a ball all over a court) it is considered something a lot more mature and interesting?

I live in Greece, where our favorite pastimes are soccer, going at cafeterias or (if you are relatively young) go to dance clubs. Video gaming once you leave High School is almost always considered a nerd/loser/freak alert, unless you’re a gamer too, and you can sympathize. A girlfriend will find it boring if you talk about soccer, but will find it just pathetic to hear you talk about Halo or Doom.

I’ve spoken to various men and women in Greece about this and I collected interesting ‘data’. I was talking with the wife of a co-worker who used to be a gamer (the co-worker, not her) and asked her if she would be OK with me giving away my PS3 to her husband. She said no, she didn’t want him to go back to his gaming ways. I asked her what was so bad about it. She told me that the very image of watching someone playing a video game screams manchild and she found it ridiculous. She also found ridiculous all the ads which showed handsome and attractive people in their mid-20s playing video games - “As if a person like that would actually play video games”, she would say.

Another woman I’ve met in work (very beautiful and attractive), admitted to me that she used to be a nerd, watching Thundercats and Transformers and play video games when she was younger. I asked her why she ‘abandoned’ the hobby. She told me this: “I once bought Sonic the Hedgehog I for the Megadrive. I remember becoming obsessed with beating the game and getting all the emeralds. I got so angry and frustrated when I couldn’t beat the last stages. I realized that playing those games got me more frustrated than made me having fun, so I stopped.” She lets her kids play, though. She just doesn’t game herself.

A male co-worker of mine used to game on his Amiga, but life simply left him no time to game anymore. Sometimes he goes to YouTube and watches Lets Plays, but doesn’t game himself anymore. I once got him Skyrim as a birthday present in order to see it as an incentive to game again, but he didn’t even pass the opening scene (he was a medieval fantasy fan, so I said what the heck).
Another female co-worker of mine told me that she found video games interesting, but was afraid of becoming addicted to them and stopped her other hobbies. She occasionally plays mobile games when she has no work in the office, but that’s as far as she’ll go.

A male co-worker of mine was impressed when I showed him the Witcher 3 on YouTube (he only played pinball machines back in the 70s), but never gamed himself, never liked fantasy or gaming in general.
So there are a lot of people who thought about gaming or gamed themselves, but eventually they drop it as if it was something bad or ‘just a phase’.

Are gamers considered losers because gaming is something you can start doing from childhood, thus is labeled as a ‘childish activity’? But the same could be said of basketball. A child can start playing basketball from a very young age, so why aren’t people who play basketball labeled as losers?

Are gamers considered losers because gaming is all they do? But children and teens and people in their 20s could be spending all their evenings playing basketball, so why isn’t someone who plays a lot of basketball labeled as a nerd? Why is someone who goes clubbing and goes to parties every single night isn’t considered a loser? Is the repetition the issue? Is it the age? What is it? Is it bad to neglect your life in order to play video games and labels you as a loser? But isn’t this the same if all you do is go partying?

And I think that the answer is in society itself.

I think the real reason that video gaming is frowned upon is the simple fact that it is not a social activity. It is an activity which isolates you from the world around you. For us it is escapism, but for the world, it is considered inability to connect with others. Basketball (and sports in general), clubbing and going to the movies is a social activity. You connect with others (in various ways) and since humans are mostly a social animal, social activities are much more appreciated than those which thrive in isolation.

Before gaming, there was reading - the so-called ‘bookworms’. Doing nothing but reading books in your room all day was a loser sign, because you weren’t being social. You weren’t connecting. You weren’t making new friends.

So I think that this is the real reason video games are associated with being a loser. Because they’re not social (at least, not in the ‘real’ society), they don’t make you meet new people in-life and they don’t help you create ‘real’ stories to tell. Gaming is sort of a parallel reality, a world within a world where we can talk about it in gaming message boards in the same way other people talk in the cafeteria, exchanging our experiences (“Man, I got screwed last time on DOTA 2!”, or “I just finished Resident Evil 7 and ...”). The more time we spend on the gaming world, the more things we have to talk about with gamers, but the less we have to talk about in the real world. In some ways, those two worlds are competing for your attention span.

So yeah, I think this is the reason video gaming in the real world is considered a ‘loser activity’. What do you guys think?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I work in games and still kinda try not to associate too much with gaming culture. It totally does still have a stigma, and I’m definitely one of those people who judges others for it. Honestly, I think it’s because the more vocal or enthusiastic fans tend to be really weird.

There are obviously plenty of cool people who love games, but c’mon... when you think of a hardcore gamer, you think of some fat guy who smells bad, lives in his mom’s basement, and is wearing sweatpants with crusty cum stains on them.

Or maybe I’m just fantasizing~~~~

Ten_Fold

Some people do sit around all day and play games, it could be either they are wealthy or it’s their job. I actually don’t think gaming is as bad as it once was, sure you might not attract people who don’t game or if they do game they only play 2K and COD, but those people aren’t for you. My problem with a lot of gamers is they want to be accepted so badly by everyone else which is silly. Also a lot of gamers can be some awful people, from my experience.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

The social aspect is definitely part of it. We are wired to reproduce, our bodies are vessels for our genes. So activities that make procreation more likely are seen as good, or at least not bad: so dancing, cafe-ing, even pen and paper tabletop games.

But seeing someone spend his free time in a dark room mashing buttons for hours to make numbers go up, well you will never be able to make that into something society in general thinks is cool.

also, videogames are addictive. It is like finding out your date has a recreational coke habit.

Some people do sit around all day and play games, it could be either they are wealthy or it’s their job. I actually don’t think gaming is as bad as it once was, sure you might not attract people who don’t game or if they do game they only play 2K and COD, but those people aren’t for you. My problem with a lot of gamers is they want to be accepted so badly by everyone else which is silly. Also a lot of gamers can be some awful people, from my experience.
A lot of people are just awful people. That they happen to play games isn't intrinsically linked to their awfulness.

Caffeine

media has a lot to do with it sure they will still have segments if they are hit worthy. but news media stations compete against this form of entertainment so they constantly release negative shit on it. then the boomers watch it and here we are. cnn wants you watching their drivel which plays a pill ad every 5 mins. instead of playing a video game.

Gargus

Banned
I dont see a stigma or ever see it for a simple reason. I dont care what others think.

People who think there is a stigma about like video games and feel it's presence only do so because they look for it, they want to find it and will notice it and search it out. In my 43 years of life I've spent over 30 of it playing games and collecting them I have never felt less than by anyone ever for being a gamer. And the reason is I dont care what other people think, when I dont care what they think I find that I dont suffer their opinions at all.

95% of the time anyone who feels stigmatized or ostracized, etc for liking something it's because they allow themselves to be so. They care what others think and will let it have dominion over them even when it isn't really there. Its .mostly just imagined.

Trust me, a few things I have learned that will make your life so much happier are these. 1 do not care what others think or pay them any attention. 2 one day you will die and nothing you do or say will matter anymore. So worrying about pointless things is well, pointless. 3 worry about yourself and the people you personally know and care about, and dont worry about the billions of other people you dont know. Accomplish those 3 things and you'll find a much happier and peaceful life.

joe_zazen

media has a lot to do with it sure they will still have segments if they are hit worthy. but news media stations compete against this form of entertainment so they constantly release negative shit on it. then the boomers watch it and here we are. cnn wants you watching their drivel which plays a pill ad every 5 mins. instead of playing a video game.

CNN commercials are goddamn depressing

hunthunt

Banned
It will always be hard for people that dont follow the social rules of occidental society of being a cool student, get married, work hard, be a good parent and neighboor or at least try to look like one and look happy.

Follow that paradigm is the base of capitalism, dont try to be yourself, be whatever you are asigned to be.

Freedom my ass.

dalekjay

TO be fair, any outsider who would read about gaming on Neogaf/Reddit/ Resetera would have the conclusion that everybody is just spoiled children Hahahaha
Bad arguments, crying because graphics, straw man fallacies, Truisms, post truth .....

BUT at least we aren’t pro wrestling fans

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
If I might add, a big part of it is the production factor. I mean, who seems more legitimate to you if you were all sitting at a bar, talking about your careers: the aerospace engineer, the construction worker, or the professional gamer?

People aren't gonna want to be associated with someone who spends their lives looking at a screen. It provides no social value, and anyone who thinks they'd be proud admitting their SO (for example) is involved in professional gaming (excluding development/engineering/other tech related positions) is full of themselves, no offense.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The world makes losers. Videogames don't create losers, they just provide distraction to losers. In another 10 years maybe we'll be finished dunking on videogame players and will start talking about "losers" who spend all their time on social media, without ever examining why people flee to these outlets and seclude themselves.

yodine53

People don't know the state of videgames right now. They're stucked with 90's gaming and think it's all the same. The last impression they have of modern gaming is Pokemon Go and Fornite and you can't take seriously them.

Verdanth

The world makes losers. Videogames don't create losers, they just provide distraction to losers. In another 10 years maybe we'll be finished dunking on videogame players and will start talking about "losers" who spend all their time on social media, without ever examining why people flee to these outlets and seclude themselves.

Bravo. 100% this.

source.gif

Airola

Didn't care back then, don't care now.

As long as we don't take this hobby too seriously we can deal with whatever someone thinks of it.
They don't have to like this hobby. They can think it's for losers. They might be wrong. They might be right. If I'm a loser nerd by someone, fine.

RScrewed

I really hate these group therapy session threads.

Just play your games and shut up.

If you need a 10 paragraph write-up to legitimize your interests, chances are you would've been a loser at any hobby you picked.

The real winner is the person who doesn't give a shit what anyone else thinks.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
It provides no social value, and anyone who thinks they'd be proud admitting their SO (for example) is involved in professional gaming (excluding development/engineering/other tech related positions) is full of themselves, no offense.

If I was part of that dota team which won The International 2 times in a row and got payed multiple millions, I would be proud to tell them that's right bitches I made millions by playing games. Have fun at your engineering job for the rest of your life.

Or if I was Ninja and set for life before even my 30th birthday. DrDisrespect, Shroud etc. also already probably made millions or close to.

Last edited:
You care too much about what others think, just do what you like and try to be balanced about it (I.E. move a bit, it doesn't matter how). I think people associate gaming with the extreme gamer, hooked on a game, and ever only taking about gaming.

Sports fans and motor heads, farmers, cheer leaders, photographs, cyclists, people who make miniature trains, collectors in general, etc. all have bad stereotypes associated to them. People judge all the time, if you judge too much, others will even call you judgmental, so they judge you now. What can we do?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I definitely see this type of attitude. The wife, whose husband spends more time with video games than with her. The song "Video Games" by Lana Del Rey is about her past relationship with an ex who mainly played video games. Its coming from a hurtful place. My wife, her ex use to play Xbox. She got so mad once she shut it down because he couldn't be bothered to shut it off when he left. She has a friend who married someone who was really into gaming. He would play all night long while she cooked. She has FFXI, Myst, Fable 3, and etc in her garage. It felt like she had retired from gaming due to a bad relationship. I ask why they don't game more and I don't get an answer that I wish I would get. I don't get the "I shed tears during the Eyes on Me song in Final Fantasy VIII". So yeah, we expect other people to have the same opinion or the same view. Wouldn't we want that? Wouldn't we want someone else to love video games just as much as we do? We want to share the love for Hideo Kojima, Dark Souls, and Final Fantasy with someone. We don't want to hear about Columbine, Sandy Hook, GTA on Fox News, or some other comment that singles out the medium.

I see news articles about "adult gamers", but in your local town the people see it only as a ''young person's hobby''. Gaming isn't just for kids and 20 year olds. Its for the kids and 20 years olds too, but older people have just as much right as anyone else does. So maybe that's the misconception and misunderstanding here. You have to somehow tone all of that out and focus on you. What do you like? What do video games mean to you? Screw what society thinks. Society makes me feel like I'm headed to an early grave sometimes. They focus on age and bad experiences far too much.

I can't get some people to see why I want to play the next hot video game. Its almost impossible to get someone on board. When you see a bunch of young people trying to entertain other young people on Twitch; the whole medium feels like a joke for young people. I think some people feel isolated and they don't see the whole GDC, Geoff Keighley at the VGA (3 piece suit), and the awards being given out. They don't know there's a good story involved or that it isn't just a bunch of Fortnite characters that their kids enjoy.

Dane

I miss the old days of stigma, at least there was no fuckers to ruin the industry to cater to them.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it's because pinball used to be illegal. it was considered a part of organized crime, that it had mob connections, etc. it was illegal to play pinball in NYC where it was banned from 1940 until 1976 due to the stigma.

when Tommy wrote "Pinball Wizard", it was not just a thing kids did, it was a signifier for rebellion. pinball was a
"dangerous youth thing" like skateboarding or rock n roll. when arcades came out, they took the place of pinball. same stigmas inhereted.

when home gaming came out, IMO it became a concerted effort to alienate players. unlike rock n roll home gamers don't go to bars, don't spend money on beer and cigarettes, it's mostly a closed & not very social system. capitalism wants to push more social ways of spending money (movies, sports, music) because basically they want money.

Last edited:

Joe T.

The social aspect definitely plays a role, but the media's portrayal has a lot to do with it, too. It's difficult to paint gaming as a negative if the person playing video games also plays sports, goes out with friends or leads an otherwise healthy life. It's a lot easier to criticize someone that's stuck in front of his/her screen all day/night/week eating junk food and being anti-social, so when they want to portray an unhealthy lifestyle video games become an easy - and lazy - way to do it.

I spent a lot more time playing video games when I was younger, but most of that time was spent alongside friends/family. It was balanced with a lot of time spent playing team sports and going out with friends, so no one ever had any luck shaming me for being a gamer. One of my uncles definitely tried, asking me how "Nina Nintendo" and "Sophia Sega" were doing, which I usually responded to by mocking his favorite sports team.

And this serves as a good opportunity for me to say how badly I want 4+ player local multiplayer modes to become a selling point again, no better time to do it as 4K TVs will likely be in a majority of households over the next few years.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Heh, I’d never considered that last bit. I think you might be right about the social media-obsessed.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
If I was part of that dota team which won The International 2 times in a row and got payed multiple millions, I would be proud to tell them that's right bitches I made millions by playing games. Have fun at your engineering job for the rest of your life.

Or if I was Ninja and set for life before even my 30th birthday. DrDisrespect, Shroud etc. also already probably made millions or close to.

Dawg, you can respect yourself for your achievement but that does not mean someone else is going to respect you. All I'm saying.

EDIT: Also I'm not arguing about money. I think you misunderstood what point I was making. The only thing I said in my post was "social value."

Last edited:

SpoopySpeedster

Neo Member
As someone who separated themselves from gaming and all things remotely nerdy for a period of time for these exact social reasons (6 years of identity crisis thinking I was making "friends") I can say that it's not worth delving into the "why's" of those who disapprove

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks as long as you enjoy what you do, because that is what winning is, can't be a loser if you're actively winning

7kbeLM9.gif

Last edited:
If you are a hardcore gamer you are bound to be looked like a loser. Playing one-two hours every couple days is seen as fine. Getting the new Souls game and going 10 hours straight is seen as loser behavior and they are kinda right.

I'm a total loser and I escape via videogames so I don't have to deal with my depression and/or issues. I expect Bloodborne 2 to give me many hours to waste my life away.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There is that stigma with some people
Mainly women.
But I believe that change in the late 90's for a majority of people, especially with PlayStation 1
For instance to counter your TV shows representing losers playing video games.
In films and TV when they show cool and living it up
First thing they do to show that is big ass TV and a games console.
Example.
A majority of rappers name drop consoles and video games in their rhymes too.
just like people who don't play games I think you're confusing
a console gamer with a PC gamer.
Although the difference is more minimal these days as PC gaming has become more of a thing even the regular Joe does
But in the 90's and 00's they was completely different.
ewsELNH.png

And people that don't play games have that stigma and only see PC gamers from that era when they hear video games they see no difference.
which today there barely is, except for those Superior Race guys, they're ol skool PC nerds

bobone

Everything that is a waste of time has a negative stigma.
Unfamiliar things are very intimidating for people that aren't into it. Lots of mumbojumbo and stupid words being thrown around. But that's true about every hobby.

I take days off work to go shooting; and talk guns as much as games. And that gets me wierd ass looks all the time too. Also been a wrestling fan since 1995; so yea.

Gaming isn't special among hobbies.

zeorhymer

Don't need 10 years. The "influencers" are getting dunked on more and more.

Humdinger

That was too much for me to read. Here are my thoughts anyway.

There is a stigma. Part of it is deserved. Gaming culture tends to be overly negative and petty. Granted, much of social media tends to be overly negative and petty, because that's what drives dopamine, stress, and hits/clicks/controversy/attention. But gaming is part of it, and the fact that it's mostly young men probably adds to the petty competitiveness you see sometimes. I've taken distance from, or taken long breaks from gaming culture at several points in my life, and I've always benefited from it.

Part of the stigma is not deserved. It got classified as "kid stuff" early on, and it's never really overcome that association. The age has moved up a little, but it's still associated with teenagers and young men, mostly. There have also been repeated cries in the media about how people waste their time with videogames, which can be true, but it's also true that people can waste their time with TV, smartphones, Facebook, movies, reading fiction, watching sports, keeping up with news/politics drama, and a bunch of other things. People like to feel good about themselves by looking down on other people. Games allow that. It's not entirely fair, but oh well, neither are the thousand other ways people look down on each other.

Durask

First, why do you care? When dating, probably not the best conversational topic unless the other person brings it up first. :messenger_grinning: but otherwise who cares.
Also, in general, people don't tend to care much for other people's hobbies unless they tend to have the same ones.

FWIW, I know a few people who say "I wish I had time to game, I am just too tired all the time".
Heck, when I was younger I could game until 2 am and go to work at 7. If I did that now, I'd be dead the next day.

joe_zazen

You care too much about what others think, just do what you like and try to be balanced about it (I.E. move a bit, it doesn't matter how). I think people associate gaming with the extreme gamer, hooked on a game, and ever only taking about gaming.

Sports fans and motor heads, farmers, cheer leaders, photographs, cyclists, people who make miniature trains, collectors in general, etc. all have bad stereotypes associated to them. People judge all the time, if you judge too much, others will even call you judgmental, so they judge you now. What can we do?

some liberal arts types say our minds are narrative engines; i’ve always thought they were judgment engines because that seems to be what most people do all day.

ROMhack

It's difficult. I've had conversations with people about games and impressed them to the extent where they say they want to play them. For example, I opened up to my housemate about SOMA recently and because he works in tech (design), he seemed to find the idea behind the game fascinating. He's otherwise exactly the type to say they're a 'waste of time'.

Therefore I kinda suspect the problem isn't games but rather the dialogue gamers have with non-gamers. Maybe people aren't explaining well enough why games are meaningful/important.

There is a stigma. Part of it is deserved. Gaming culture tends to be overly negative and petty. Granted, much of social media tends to be overly negative and petty, because that's what drives dopamine, stress, and hits/clicks/controversy/attention. But gaming is part of it, and the fact that it's mostly young men probably adds to the petty competitiveness you see sometimes. I've taken distance from, or taken long breaks from gaming culture at several points in my life, and I've always benefited from it.

Part of the stigma is not deserved. It got classified as "kid stuff" early on, and it's never really overcome that association. The age has moved up a little, but it's still associated with teenagers and young men, mostly. There have also been repeated cries in the media about how people waste their time with videogames, which can be true, but it's also true that people can waste their time with TV, smartphones, Facebook, movies, reading fiction, watching sports, keeping up with news/politics drama, and a bunch of other things. People like to feel good about themselves by looking down on other people. Games allow that. It's not entirely fair, but oh well, neither are the thousand other ways people look down on each other.

Good post and 'petty competitiveness' is a perfect way to sum up that particular type of mentality. Console warrers, etc.

Last edited:

Shifty

My response to most of the paragraphs in the OP is 'stupid, closed-minded people'. Plus, those early preconceptions about games being childish toys aren't easily undone if they've been held for long enough.

The addiction angle is easily overplayed as well. Sure, games absolutely have the power to be addictive- they're dopamine generators by definition, but there's this great thing called self-control that most humans develop over the course of their lives that puts paid to that. Mobile gaming's blatant abuse of that facet of the medium definitely hasn't helped there either, since mobile is closer to the mainstream than traditional gaming and thus more visible to your average joe.

There's probably a degree of generational difference in there as well, since the folks influential and wealthy enough to have a say on things like games' presentation in mainstream media tend to be Gen X and older. The idea that portrayal presents also has the potential to waterfall down to the people consuming the content, which only serves to establish or reinforce it for future generations that might otherwise be more open-minded.

I do think you have a strong point about the social side- Sports are seen as good because they make you fit and involve socializing and working with other humans, clubbing/dancing/etc is entirely social with the additional possibility of getting laid. Humans are hardwired to proliferate, and it's an easy cheap shot to yuk it up over a hobby that doesn't do much to aid that.

I'd argue that the gaming culture angle is more internal to the hobby than the overall that's-for-loser-nerds perception. What little of the negativity does leak out into the mainstream certainly doesn't help the overall image, but I think you actually need to engage with video games in the first place to see most of the real garbage.

Your point about TV, current events, social media and such is solid though. Nothing quite like seeing someone pass judgement on videogames, then go right back to watching Eastenders and having their brain slowly melted by TV advertising.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
I see threads pop up like this from time to time, but I always figured it was just the internet doing what the internet does: Make things seem bigger than they actually are.
Generally speaking, do what you like to do as long as it's not hurting anyone and let other people think what they will. Although, it's good to step back and take stock every now and then, make sure whatever your hobby is hasn't completely consumed your life in an unhealthy way.

some liberal arts types say our minds are narrative engines; i’ve always thought they were judgment engines because that seems to be what most people do all day.
We have to judge, what food is good for you, who is a potential mate, is that bridge going to fall?

Stories and justifications are perfectly optional, but they are also an important part of the human psyche. Anyway, you should look at what Liberal Arts degree the person talking has.

I feel that there will always be judgmental people when it comes to other peoples hobbies, I've found a lot of people who are like that not to have many hobbies of their own to be honest. It falls somewhere in the phrase 'one man's trash is another man's treasure.'

Everyone has their 'thing' though, be it getting together with friends at a pub, doing yoga, working out or going on a hike as a social thing. Some people enjoy playing card games, reading books, playing board games. For others maybe their hobbies are a bit more relaxed shopping, watching TV/ Movies/ Youtube, collecting something.

Then there are creative hobbies, putting tons of hours into making something be it in a game like Mario Maker or Dreams, creating something in Photoshop or rebuilding a car. Kids these days make Tinder a hobby for fucks sake so to each their own, we should be more self aware that we can't just let people do their thing and learn to just accept them as who they are.

As probably my main hobby, I am a gamer, a game collector of over 30 yrs and when I hear phrases like 'manchild' which typically you will hear from women (as the op mentioned), I've learned the hard way those aren't really the women you'd want in your life, let alone as a significant other. Thats not a dig at all women or to take away from a family first mentality for me personally.

From my experience, someone who won't let you be who you are, will likely not be around long anyways as they'll be the ones to dictate a lot of things in your life. From your free time, finances, friendships, responsibilities and in the end you'll likely get pretty tied of their way or the highway and opt for the latter at some point as I did several years ago and a lot of hard lessons later.

Just do your thing.

Last edited:

BigBooper

The trick is to stop caring what they think. I have never been into gaming culture wearing shirts and having toys all over with game characters, so it's never been important to me to have spread my entertainment to others. I'll talk to other people who I know like games, otherwise it just never comes up.

Top Bottom