• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Holy shit holy shit.

Rest in peace hughes. Such a tragic death.

Seriously do hope someone is watching over sean abbott too. Not his fault but he must be feeling absolutely wretched right now.

Jezbollah

Gutted. Struggling to comprehend this at the moment

Massive loss - and such a tragedy :'(

Choked up reading Adam Gilchrist's tweet

elfinke

What a wretched one-in-a-million turn of events. Far out. Casts a pall over the activity I have spent hundreds of Saturdays enjoying: the thought of someone dying due to a cricket injury was, until this week, such a foreign idea that it didn't bear thought, despite the inherent, obvious and well known risks associated with the sport.

I wonder if we'll see some kind of further redesign to helmets, to include a flap that can deflect the energy of a ball from away the exposed upper neck area? I'm sure there are great minds already at work on such a thing.

In the meantime, I hope everyone just takes care of themselves, and my thoughts go out to the Hughes family and close friends.

MrGlass

R.I.P. Phil Hughes.

Shocked to hear the news this morning. Not sure if the first test should go ahead next week if the players aren't up for it.

Will also be interesting to see how it psychologically affects bowlers when bowling short and batsmen when playing short balls.

Very shocking and sad.

It is a horrible freak accident; I have seen batsman turn their head and get hit in the side of the neck but, from what I gather, it hit him on the back of the neck. It was massively worrying in the way he collapsed flat out.

A cricket helmet manufacturer was on Sky News yesterday and was saying that Phil Hughes' helmet didn't have as big a back (to cover some of the neck) compared to some helmets. Of course, it is hard to know if this could have taken some of the force. They said they would be analyzing the footage / photos.

I wonder if it will become a rule that the helmet must conform to a certain depth (covering the neck) now? There wasn't a huge difference in the two helmets they showed but it could have been enough in Phil's case to be a nasty and painful accident rather than this terrible outcome.

It also makes you think what it must have been like with the West Indian bowlers and the pitches from years ago where the pitch and ball reacted very unpredictably. It must have been terrifying.

Edit: And some scumbags have already started on Sean Abbott on Twitter. Stay classy.

The poor bloke must be inconsolable.

MrGlass

Saw a photo of Abbott leaving the hospital earlier. He looked devastated and is suffering enough without needing idiots on Twitter making it worse.

Jezbollah

Sky just aired the Cricket Australia tribute. Well and truly got my eyes watering.

Sri Lanka vs England today, and India vs Australia pushed back

To be honest I cant watch the sport right now.

kmag

Sky just aired the Cricket Australia tribute. Well and truly got my eyes watering.

Sri Lanka vs England today, and India vs Australia pushed back

To be honest I cant watch the sport right now.

The NZ vs Pak test is unwatchable, you have McCullum hitting the 4th quickest double hundred of all time and he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world. Both sets of players look pretty much the same.

The Cook out group will get to see what we're like without him then, will be interesting.

I suspect we'll no different (whether that ends up in a win or a lose), he doesn't play in the T20s, and we're still shite, our focus hasn't been on One Day cricket since I've been watching (whenever the England World Cup was... 1999?) to my knowledge, we're a test team first and its shown by how often we rest players for the ODIs

Hopefully it'll shut some people up though, I think he may well step down after the World Cup but making the change now would just be a complete waste of time and only serve to put us back further.

Perhaps if people got his back and supported the team they would do better?

Omikron

Cricket Aus force everyone to use their website to stream ABC radio audio for games now, Cricket Aus website won't play the actual audio. Good job guys. Good job.

Warner showing his class in this 1st session - could be ominous for the Indians. Karn Sharma looks hesistant and still a mystery...Australia in the driver seat as of Lunch on Day 1

Antiwhippy

I'd say it's even stevens really. Only warner looked a class apart, and never underestimate australia's tendency to fall apart. Ishant sharma is bowling really well too.

What did I tell you guys...India's attack looks nonthreatening. Australia set to score 700+ if Warner keeps going at the rate with which he is going....not good....

Antiwhippy

As much as I love watching leggies I'm always baffled as to why they don't give ashwin an extended run.

Also poor clarkey. Hope it's nothing major.

Its obvious why India hasn't turned to Ishant Sharma after the wicket. Their overrate is so bad, that Kohli is more worried about that than about getting another wicket!

Antiwhippy

Pretty even I'd say. India did well to pull it back but Steve smith is still there and johnson + harris can stick out for a few. If they can stick to after lunch tomorrow I'd say australia won the innings. India's if they can dismiss australia for <450, but then again we have mitch and harris.

Also haddin has been absolute shit ever since the ashes.

elfinke

Pretty even I'd say. India did well to pull it back but Steve smith is still there and johnson + harris can stick out for a few. If they can stick to after lunch tomorrow I'd say australia won the innings. India's if they can dismiss australia for <450, but then again we have mitch and harris.

Also haddin has been absolute shit ever since the ashes.

Hasn't he? Far out. While I wouldn't fight for him in a bar argument, surely Wade has to be a given a go in the long form sooner rather than later, based purely on form? Speaking of such things, I see Ed Cowan keeps racking up runs in Shield cricket...

As others have said, I think honours are shared at this juncture, especially with still no news about Clarke, whose career must now be under threat of being cruelly curtailed unless a physio or two can discover One Wierd Trick. Warner was pretty special against some very ordinary bowling today, too. Until he threw it away, India never looked like getting him out.

Hopefully Smithy can kick on and on tomorrow!

Antiwhippy

I think someone crunched some numbers that if you exclude his ashes series, he has averaged 23 in 33 tests.

Also at this point I wouldn't really keep him as a keeper anymore. Drops too many sitters.

kmag

I think someone crunched some numbers that if you exclude his ashes series, he has averaged 23 in 33 tests.

Also at this point I wouldn't really keep him as a keeper anymore. Drops too many sitters.

Isn't Wade an effing horrendous wicketkeeper though? He's a decent bat but unless he's improved beyond all recognition since the last time I saw him he's not international class with the gloves. I assume it's either Haddin or Wade. I don't think Haddin has long left.

elfinke

Isn't Wade an effing horrendous wicketkeeper though? He's a decent bat but unless he's improved beyond all recognition since the last time I saw him he's not international class with the gloves. I assume it's either Haddin or Wade. I don't think Haddin has long left.

No first class wicket keepers are "effing horrendous", but when he first made it at international level he was seen to be a greater liability than Haddin with the gloves. No doubt he has improved since then, and I don't remember him making any errors during the limited over matches recently. I wonder more about his tactical nous and leadership, which are critical attributes for a wicket keeper at any level.

elfinke

Absolutely no need for Aus. to bat this morning. Declare and take the 20 wickets.

Yes, I expect that is what will happen and at this stage it's just gamesmanship, so India can't prepare one way or the other.

Smithy, what a class act. I'd like to carry on with my namesake's performance in my local comp this weekend, but we're expecting up to 80mm of rain today, followed by more tomorrow, so despite it having been a wonderful dry, sunny week so far, I don't think we'll be playing. Might go field/12th man for the lower grades who play on synthetic: I've got itchy cricket bones that golf just can't scratch!

Wow, Sean Abbott who bowled the ball that hit Hughes is currently 6/9 in the next shield game.

Way to get back on the horse.

Edit: Finshed 6/14

master15

It's been a really well fought test-match.

Here's hoping Johnson fires up tomorrow along with Siddle because they need to make early breakthroughs to panic India. I also hope Lyon gets in the mix.

Unrelated but I was talking to my Dad about this article. Being overseas for a few years I've been sort of out of the loop and catch games as I can. However what the hell has happened to the 9 Channel commentary box? Honestly, I can't stand anything that comes out of James Brayshaw's mouth. I want to bunch him in the face after the splutters out utter nonsense time after time. Well at least they are still better than the Star sports commentators...

Antiwhippy

Poor Lyon.

Any other day he would have been bowling his team to victory.

Today he played against a team who forces others to not use the technology available and an umpire who forgot that lbws exist.

master15

Well those two quick wickets present a glimmer of hope but we need Johnson or Siddle to be effective.

Unfortunately I think India are going to eek his out, especially with Kohli at he crease.

Yagharek

Kholi or Lyon will get MOTM for this one depending on the result.

Did not expect to see a result on this match after a rain delay with Adelaide's reputation of being a ground for batsmen only.

master15

Great keenly fought test match whole way through. Pretty amazing innings by Kohli all around especially given conditions.

Great job Aussie.

Antiwhippy

Really? I keep seeing people moan about him all the time. Especially seeing that he hasn't had a great SA and UAE tour.

What a match though. Love test cricket.

elfinke

Really? I keep seeing people moan about him all the time. Especially seeing that he hasn't had a great SA and UAE tour.

What a match though. Love test cricket.

Yep, and the cricinfo comments are full of people bemoaning the fact that India lost to someone 'like Lyon'. Happens all the time, but this test he has shown His legit class. Missed watching it today in lieu of playing, but kept up with the game via text and such throughout, and thankfully we won our game in time for me to get home and see the final few wickets.

Tremendous stuff from everyone who wasn't holding a microphone.

And yeah, again it was shown that test cricket > all other forms.

Yep, and the cricinfo comments are full of people bemoaning the fact that India lost to someone 'like Lyon'. Happens all the time, but this test he has shown His legit class. Missed watching it today in lieu of playing, but kept up with the game via text and such throughout, and thankfully we won our game in time for me to get home and see the final few wickets.

Tremendous stuff from everyone who wasn't holding a microphone.

And yeah, again it was shown that test cricket > all other forms.

Its at times like these that I truly enjoy Test cricket and bemoan the increasingly sharp increase in popularity of the shortest format of the game - T20. Especially the T20 World Cup, that is just rubbish. If you want to watch batters hit the ball out of the park, there is another sport to watch, its called baseball....

In other news, good competitive cricket from both sides and classy cricket seen from the likes of Lyon, Kohli, Vijay, Warner, and Clarke and others. Great stuff, hopefully Test cricket can stay with us longer and India implements DRS (would like to see some consistency in this regard). Overall, great match. Another one to add to a list of classic test matches.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Its at times like these that I truly enjoy Test cricket and bemoan the increasingly sharp increase in popularity of the shortest format of the game - T20. Especially the T20 World Cup, that is just rubbish. If you want to watch batters hit the ball out of the park, there is another sport to watch, its called baseball....

In other news, good competitive cricket from both sides and classy cricket seen from the likes of Lyon, Kohli, Vijay, Warner, and Clarke and others. Great stuff, hopefully Test cricket can stay with us longer and India implements DRS (would like to see some consistency in this regard). Overall, great match. Another one to add to a list of classic test matches.

Agreed. Great game. Kohli and Warner were fantastic. A brilliant tribute to Hughes.

Been at the test today and part of yesterday, Adelaide test once again delivers!

How many tests in the last 10 years have come down to the last session?!?!? I was talking to a mate and we were too drink to look it up.

As for Lyon, well bowled son. An adopted South Australian (just like Hughsey!).

My mate brought this stat up:

Ashley Mallett (widely regarded as one of Australia's greatest finger spinners) has the following stats: 38 Matches, 132 wickets @ 29.84 with s/rate of 75, 6 Five-fors, 1 Ten-for.

Nathan Lyon: 36Matches, 127wockets@ 34.66 with s/rate of 66, 7 five-fors, 1 ten-for.

the guy is class and will only improve from here on out. Only 27 years old, so hopefully he will be a 250-300 test wicket kinda guy.

Top Bottom