• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New NEW Adventures of the GAFcast Episode 006 : TGS Edition (now with video)

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
it was also the ultimate moment of 'pics don't do the game justice.' Never has it been more true than with White Knight Story. Basically if you're judging a true next-gen game by a pic, you're gonna end up with pie on your face.

For reals. PR should post animated gifs in motion. Screenshots don't do next gen games justice most of the time.

I also have a sub-answer to listing WKS as my most pleasant surprise of TGS, and that is the first party development of Sony as a whole. I'm pretty much impressed with everything that is coming out of Sony Worldwide Studios, and I'm glad to see they are taking a charge in making a ton of first party content for the PS3. As much flak as they get for the PSP, I think they are still ahead of the competition when foreseeing condition market changes. The fact that Sony has over 100 PS3 titles in development shows that they knew market conditions were going to change where they needed to pretty much showcase the system themselves and not rely on 3rd party publishers anymore. As a gamer looking to buy a system, it should make you happy Sony is pouring a ton of effort themselves into making the platform shine instead of relying on others to do so for them.

WKS, I think, is the only real answer to this question. Though, it's all because of the animation and battle system possibilities hinted at in the vid...and not so much what it looks like because I didn't find it particularly amazing in that regard.

So, who was the failed viral marketer? Or was that just a half-joke? And, yes, great intro/outro tune. Totally SID/retro-sounding.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
SnakeXs said:
Any word on the video edition?

Ill have it edited by tonight japan time, upload might take a little while. Would have been done 2 days ago if it wasnt for me leaving my battery pack and sony not including a firewire cable.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Well, you said it... White Knight Story

didn't we also say WKS was _not_ at TGS (?)

Again, GAF TGS >>> TGS - if i watched the videos of Motorstorm , Lair etc, i'd have had absolutely NO IDEA about the technical issues these games were having :/

seriously - maybe GAF should have an online Games show once a year?

ps. for video Real GAF heroes - i had to turn away and bite my lip... lol.

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
didn't we also say WKS was _not_ at TGS (?)

Again, GAF TGS >>> TGS - if i watched the videos of Motorstorm , Lair etc, i'd have had absolutely NO IDEA about the technical issues these games were having :/

seriously - maybe GAF should have an online Games show once a year?

ps. for video Real GAF heroes - i had to turn away and bite my lip... lol.

Apparently, White Knight was on a videoscreen at TGS. Obviously, it was too early to be playable.

Maybe I heard wrong, but that was still the biggest surprise of the TGS period. It blew away any similar titles.

Mrbob

DCharlie just want to let you know the final version of Motorstorm is supposed to run at 60FPS. I think you were the one complaining about the frame rate at TGS.

PS3 games at stable frame rates is another nice surprise. 360 games need to pick up the ball. Too many sub 30FPS experiences.

DCharlie

DCharlie just want to let you know the final version of Motorstorm is supposed to run at 60FPS. I think you were the one complaining about the frame rate at TGS.

this is what i was saying - on friday the build wasn't running at 30fps, let alone 60fps - and it was struggling badly to get to 30fps at that. Now i know there were reports of it being an early build (again?!) but based on friday , 30fps locked would be a more realistic target although only a churl wouldn't have their fingers crossed for 60fps for what might well be the spiritual successor to Enduro Racer (well, if you use the bike)

PS3 games at stable frame rates is another nice surprise. 360 games need to pick up the ball. Too many sub 30FPS experiences.

this , again, is where my TGS experience (and that of several other people) was different. VF5 , VT3, DMC, RR7 - all had fantastic frame rates - pretty much everything else had some sort of issues.
GT:HD, Lair, Motorstorm, Coded Arms, etc... ALL had frame rate issues, tearing, vsync issues - and not mild issues either.

Jonnyram

61ST POST!

Great intro music, real GAF heroes, etc.
I also think the podcast sounded much more together, since you were in the same room and all. It was funny when Chris went off to take his phone call, totally solidifying the live aspect of the podcast.

Answer to QotW:
The biggest surprise of TGS for me was the Blue Dragon dogfight event/minigame. Since everyone's been saying it's so similar to Dragon Quest, I automatically assumed it wouldn't have much minigame stuff, but the dogfight was really fun. I was also surprised by the job system too.

JB1981

DCharlie said:
this is what i was saying - on friday the build wasn't running at 30fps, let alone 60fps - and it was struggling badly to get to 30fps at that. Now i know there were reports of it being an early build (again?!) but based on friday , 30fps locked would be a more realistic target although only a churl wouldn't have their fingers crossed for 60fps for what might well be the spiritual successor to Enduro Racer (well, if you use the bike)

this , again, is where my TGS experience (and that of several other people) was different. VF5 , VT3, DMC, RR7 - all had fantastic frame rates - pretty much everything else had some sort of issues.
GT:HD, Lair, Motorstorm, Coded Arms, etc... ALL had frame rate issues, tearing, vsync issues - and not mild issues either.

Lair is 35% done. You saw a buggy build of Motorstorm and who cares about Coded Arms? Is GT:HD even a game? lol -- anyway, overall, PS3 titles had very solid framerates - and that was running at 1080p native, too.

DCharlie

Lair is 35% done. You saw a buggy build of Motorstorm and who cares about Coded Arms? Is GT:HD even a game? lol -- anyway, overall, PS3 titles had very solid framerates - and that was running at 1080p native, too.

I agree - overall they had solid frame rates if we basically ignore the games that didn't (...?)

GT:HD - sony _definitely_ thinks this is a game it would seem.

ourumov

Kazunori Yamauchi was interviewed by meristation.com and he basically said that the GT:HD demo on TGS was shit and that the only think he liked from it was the selection menus.

Ok, ok...I know...
"If it was shit why did you show it ?"

Mrbob

Did you go to the private Sony showing? Seems like they had another build of motorstorm there.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7490433&publicUserId=4561231

The big question on my mind going into TGS was PS3. I was hoping to go to the show and see stuff that would demonstrate why I'd spend an extra $200 on a console...and I did. Virtua Fighter 5, White Knight Story, and especially MotorStorm (OMG) were well beyond anything I've seen on the 360. I don't know if you can really tell from the videos we posted, but MotorStorm is just so damn impressive. Every once in a while I'll see a game and just take a step back and think to myself how far the visuals of games have come. Titles like the original Virtua Fighter arcade game, the Daytona USA arcade game, Metal Gear Solid 2 -- with each of these, I distinctly remember having those feelings. MotorStorm was the same for me. The high-res graphics running at 60 FPS with all of those special effects (like mud on your windshield) -- it just looks real. Honestly, I don't know how I'm going to play Excite Truck after having seen this. It's like, on one hand I could be playing this phenomenal looking game that controls really well, or on the other I could play this "kids toy" with last-gen visuals and steering that actually never feels like I'm in complete control. Heck, if Sony adds tilt control to MotorStorm, there really will be no reason for me to play Excite Truck.

Sorry Sp0rks. :/

"No one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American public."

I don't know who said it first, but it was also the opening line of the most recent season of The Sopranos.

Great "'cast" so far.

ETA: "Overestimating"? I forget. Which makes America look dumber?

Mrbob

sp0rsk said:
Dcharlie was the one going on about the framerate. The game looked damn good, but it was also really slow and not exciting.

No I mean Sam was ripping on excitetruck. :p

sprsk

Mrbob said:
No I mean Sam was ripping on excitetruck. :p

Oh right, yeah motorstorm is not anywhere neeeeeeeeeeeeear excite as excite truck. Unless you like motorvehicles that go at 50mph.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
sp0rsk said:
...Oh Unless you like motorvehicles that go at 50mph.

DO I EVER!

I want some GAF Sports Whiny Dramafest to be a feature of Real GAF Hero's. Corner Routes FTL

The new theme happens to be one of my favorite songs. With your microphones, you do a super show.

Did you guys happen to wear cowboy hats as your business hats?

sprsk

the year 20XX said:
The new theme happens to be one of my favorite songs. With your microphones, you do a super show.

I'm glad you guys actually like the new theme song. I told hyoushi to make something kraftworky, and i still think it needs to sound cleaner, but I think it turned out pretty good. So, thanks for the kind words and it's too bad we cant be in the same room every week.

Hyoushi

sp0rsk said:
I'm glad you guys actually like the new theme song. I told hyoushi to make something kraftworky, and i still think it needs to sound cleaner, but I think it turned out pretty good. So, thanks for the kind words and it's too bad we cant be in the same room every week.
Yeah, I'm gonna clean it up a little for next week. This got a little rushed. hehe

sprsk

2:25 minutes left on the encode. After It is done I will upload this to google video. Hopefully it will be done and approved by the time I wake up tomorrow.

Really good stuff this time around. Having you guys in the same room was great, had a great energy to it. Looking forward to seeing video Real GAF Hereos. :)

Very nice work on the music as well Hyoushi, good old school feeling to it. Suits it very well.

Jonnyram said:
Answer to QotW:
The biggest surprise of TGS for me was the Blue Dragon dogfight event/minigame. Since everyone's been saying it's so similar to Dragon Quest, I automatically assumed it wouldn't have much minigame stuff, but the dogfight was really fun. I was also surprised by the job system too.
What's this about a job system for BD?

Hyoushi

the year 20XX said:

a man of taste

ziran

good show!

everybody sounded relaxed and it had a good atmosphere. the topics flowed nicely from one to the other.

To MODS:
Hey guys, Leguna here. I'm using my wife's account to do this, so i apologize ahead of time. I'm also sorry i'm putting this in the middle of this thread, but I've tried PMing 5 of you with no responce for over a 2 weeks. I would would be eternally greatful if i could be unbanned. I really miss posting my reviews, impressions and questions on GAF. If there's anything i can do to get my priveliges back, please let me know (i've been banned for almost a year now). Thank in advance...

Member for 6 years,
Leguna/Alberto

Flek

Banned
sp0rsk said:
2:25 minutes left on the encode. After It is done I will upload this to google video. Hopefully it will be done and approved by the time I wake up tomorrow.

when its done ? :lol cant wait to see the video version :D

Zonar

mechesontrance said:
To MODS:
Hey guys, Leguna here. I'm using my wife's account to do this, so i apologize ahead of time. I'm also sorry i'm putting this in the middle of this thread, but I've tried PMing 5 of you with no responce for over a 2 weeks. I would would be eternally greatful if i could be unbanned. I really miss posting my reviews, impressions and questions on GAF. If there's anything i can do to get my priveliges back, please let me know (i've been banned for almost a year now). Thank in advance...

Member for 6 years,
Leguna/Alberto

woah.

what did he do?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Great show guys *thumbs up*

Btw... someone used the "...am here" -phrase. Some people here must be so totally happy that you at least dont used the "downgrade"-phrase
-.-

sprsk

Okay, so the videocast is finally processing on google video, it should be available for viewing...soon!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wait, I don't feel too bad about myself!!!...

no...no, I still cry myself to sleep. Check "Yes" for Personal Issues.

PS: good work on the video "GAF Heroes", doing it LIIIIIIIIVE

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Wow sp0rsk, you look absolutely nothing like what I imagined you to be. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing actually.

Where did you guys record with all those arcade machines?

DCharlie

D
C
Harlie?

I feel pretty dumb, why didn't you ever correct me?

i've been crying myself to sleep every night over this missunderstanding for the last 6 years...

no wait... that was me crying over Sega or MS related misfortune! never mind...

sprsk

SnowWolf said:
Wow sp0rsk, you look absolutely nothing like what I imagined you to be. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing actually.

Where did you guys record with all those arcade machines?

dcharlies house :O

Top Bottom