• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new "We dont heat anymore" trend is fucking pissing me off

GeorgPrime

Banned
Whats wrong with the people?

To make it clear: I live in Germany

Iam a guy who normally works until late night if he is focused.... but i cant work if something annoys me. For example:

Its more and more common now that you rent an appartment but the heater gets shut down from 23 pm to 6 am. Like they just imagine everyone is sleeping now so shut down the fucking heater even when its fucking cold outside. In my last appartment i was wondering why its so fucking cold at midnight or when i had to wake up at 5 am it was a pain in the ass to get ready for work and try to take shower. It even ended with me getting an lung infection due to the damn cold air while sleeping. On top of it... iam not fat so i start freezing more easily then other people.

Seriously.... when i have my next appartment and they start this bullshit iam going to sue the shit out of the person who is responsible for it. I decide when i want to heat or when not. Nobody fucking else. Go away with the enviroment shit.

At the moment i live at the house of my family. Due to Corona i lost my job and since i got unemployed iam trying to get my unemployment benefits. There are some probelsm with it outside of my reach. Now i try to work on my own company at my family house but.... they never fucking heat anything. My cousin lies on the couch with a blanket up to his head when he is not working and watches tv. His wife sits in the garden (because its more warm outside) and lets the door open all day. She has some psychological issues too.

Now imagine if its like 15 degree outside, inside the houses its like 5 degree less or more. Sometimes i have to wear 2 sweater and two tshirts to get warm but my hands are freezing like hell and i cant even write properly anymore. The only thing for me is like lying down in bed whole day with clothes on to have it somehow normal.

As soon as iam getting my unemployment benefits i will make sure to go to a "Open Work Space" to stay there while iam working and as soon as iam looking for my own appartment i will make sure that they dont have this "Save the enviroment bullshit" going on.

Personally i have an affinity for warm places. I love 30-40 degree.

And heating costs are not even the most expensive part of an appartment in germany but people are like "SAVE HEATING COSTS I NEED MY FUCKING CIGARETTES ALL DAY".

Last edited:

Mistake

Op, do you have an oven? Maybe you should cook more pizza. Every time I did this, my apartment got too hot

GeorgPrime

Banned
Normally I would assume these would be them FREEDOM units, but you're from Germany. Anything above 23 inside is horrid and you are wrong (on the internet) for preferring that.

I like Turkey or Thailand for example. (my Wife is from Thailand). I never have any problems with dry heat up to 30-40 degree.

In Germany its like 25 degree and you cant go outside anymore because of the humidity and it just kills you.

Op, do you have an oven? Maybe you should cook more pizza. Every time I did this, my apartment got too hot

We have an oven yes...but due to the problems with unemployment office.... that are still looking into my issue.... i dont have money to buy pizza ;)

Last edited:

Mistake

I have found the source of GeorgPrime's anger. Get this man a pizza immediately

You should buy a heat blanket. Not sure what it will do to the electric bill though

I like Turkey or Thailand for example. (my Wife is from Thailand). I never have any problems with dry heat up to 30-40 degree.

In Germany its like 25 degree and you cant go outside anymore because of the humidity and it just kills you.

We have an oven yes...but due to the problems with unemployment office.... that are still looking into my issue.... i dont have money to buy pizza ;)

You could just turn it on with the door cracked.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I do not think it is illegal to turn off the heater on hot days. If it is 25°C outside, just open the windows and you get comfy 25°C on the inside as well.

Airola

The last workplace I was in had 30 degrees inside the office on hot days and it was absolutely insufferable.

Around 20 degrees inside is the best. 25 degrees is already getting too warm.

When I go to bed I'd rather have too cold room than too warm room. In cold rooms you can help things by wearing clothes and having more blankets, but in too warm room it's just pure hell.

nush

I just brought a cheap space heater from Walmart, it's worked great for years whenever I've needed it and if your patient it can take the chill off a surprisingly large room.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Buy yourself a heater and congrats yourself
images

-YFC-

That sucks. But you should invest in a portable electric heater. Or maybe even one of those small oil filled radiators.
portable_heater.jpg

Those radiators have oil in them and the electricity heats up that oil. They're actually quite energy efficient as well. I think they're very popular in Europe.

Keihart

Are those Celsius? because that's t-shirt and shorts temperature for me.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I understand, too. I loved it the upper MidWestern U.S. for 28-years. It seemed to always be Winter and freezing. The heating was set low to be "cost cutting" or "energy saving." I couldn't feel my feet. I hated the cold so much I now live in South Central Mexico. There are a few weeks in December of January that get down to 10 Celsius...never quite as low as 5 that I remember. Otherwise, it's typically ideal heat and our house sorta naturally has cooling so no fuss with A/C if it gets hot. Quite a few German industries out here and the majority of European I see here are Nederlands, Belgium, and Deutschland. Maybe you should move here.

segasonic

I understand, too. I loved it the upper MidWestern U.S. for 28-years. It seemed to always be Winter and freezing. The heating was set low to be "cost cutting" or "energy saving." I couldn't feel my feet. I hated the cold so much I now live in South Central Mexico. There are a few weeks in December of January that get down to 10 Celsius...never quite as low as 5 that I remember. Otherwise, it's typically ideal heat and our house sorta naturally has cooling so no fuss with A/C if it gets hot. Quite a few German industries out here and the majority of European I see here are Nederlands, Belgium, and Deutschland. Maybe you should move here.
Aren‘t you afraid of getting beheaded by narcos or something? I couldn’t imagine living in Mexico with the crime and homicide numbers they have...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Aren‘t you afraid of getting beheaded by narcos or something? I couldn’t imagine living in Mexico with the crime and homicide numbers they have...

Mexican crime and corruption is horrific but I mean its the 10th most populated country on Earth. You're probably still statistically safe in many areas.

Weiji

Banned
Enjoy your right to publicly debate the merits of balancing personal choice again heavy handed leftist government regulations... OH GERMANY, nevermind.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
That's a common thought most Americans have about Mexico. Narcos stick to their Pacific routes mostly and small towns. Granted, there are a lot in border states...homicide and drug use is viewed as rare and taboo where I live in Mexico. Generalization about the U.S. would be: too many violent serial killers, those guys are all addicted to marijuana, why do people riot or destroy a whole city because of one idiot's racism(?), or...something similar. Those are generalizations I've heard from Mexicans about Americans.

Either one is completely true. We know the narcos exist, but they dress like regular middle-class and typically don't just go shooting people up unless you're messing in their turf (same applies to wandering into American gang territory). Crimes that we actually do worry about: theft is a big one, pollution (everyone hates it but does nothing about it), people blasting reggaetone or accordion-based music at 3AM (that one's just me...).

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Mexican crime and corruption is horrific but I mean its the 10th most populated country on Earth. You're probably still statistically safe in many areas.
I live in a large city with very few Americans (like myself). We've never had an issue with narcos or mass murder and the population is around 5-million in this city. I lived in Bloomington, IL (was born there) and people getting shot on the West side was common. I remember a couple years ago a jealous boyfriend killed his cheating girlfriend (where I live)...The news networks were treating it like we had a serial killer. The family of the girl ended up killing (or hired someone) the guy. That's the most drama I know of. I'm sure other Gaffers living here know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I have no heat running in the house from 10pm till 7am.
Even in minus 40 celcius its still decent inside.
But i am sleeping so.
Concrete buildings and houses have very shitty insulation . I am shocked how some 2by4 some plyboard and r40 insulation can battle the cold

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
As soon as iam getting my unemployment benefits i will make sure to go to a "Open Work Space" to stay there while iam working
Don’t waste your money on that bullshit. Aren’t there libraries open?

My landlord was constantly complaining about the hydro here in the winter, was hitting an extra 150+ a month, so after requesting the bill and seeing we were actually running it up I gave him an extra 150$ and told him any time it goes over will pay the extra cost.... Problem solved, unless you can't afford what extra costs your incurring on other people.

Doom85

(OP tries to turn on the heater)

Landlord:
UpUZ2pk.jpg

(seriously though, sucks to hear that, especially if it caused you health problems. Best of luck when looking for a new apartment with a landlord who respects the health of their tenants)

Ornlu

Banned
GeorgPrime GeorgPrime , I was going to chime in my $0.02, but realized I have no idea what the law is in Germany. What are landlords allowed to get away with toward their tenants? Do they really have the right to subject their tenants to abusive conditions?

I mean, statistically, you're more likely to be murdered in Mexico than in most of Africa (if the stats are correct, 3rd world stats are sketchy at best). It is not a safe country, in general.

That's a common thought most Americans have about Mexico. Narcos stick to their Pacific routes mostly and small towns. Granted, there are a lot in border states
Either one is completely true. We know the narcos exist, but they dress like regular middle-class and typically don't just go shooting people up unless you're messing in their turf

I think I get what you're saying, and I'm glad that your experience has been good. All the friends I've made in Mexico have shared a different point of view, unfortunately. They've lost family and friends to the continuing violence. And the narcos run most of the country, so how can you not be messing in their turf?

GeorgPrime

Banned
GeorgPrime GeorgPrime , I was going to chime in my $0.02, but realized I have no idea what the law is in Germany. What are landlords allowed to get away with toward their tenants? Do they really have the right to subject their tenants to abusive conditions?

I dont know exactly either. Last time we had to go to the company who rented the appartments to others and tell them about the situation. The only thing we got told was "Jeah we have to look if we can activate the heater at 5 am already. I cant promise anything".

Like i said.... when i look for an appartment again i will make this a huge priority and if they come up with this shit later i will just gather information and than sue the shit out of it.

This low budget Pippi Longstocking rich piece of shit can go die somewhere on the ocean :p

I just turn off radio or switch the tv channel as soon as something about her comes up.

She just wants to steal my heat :(

In what kind of shithole Bundesland do you live, OP? :D
Come to Bavaria, we have all the heat you need..

Nordrhine Westfalia..... ;)

I have no heat running in the house from 10pm till 7am.
Even in minus 40 celcius its still decent inside.
But i am sleeping so.
Concrete buildings and houses have very shitty insulation . I am shocked how some 2by4 some plyboard and r40 insulation can battle the cold

I imagine that its way better with modern houses.... but when you live in an old house in an shitty part of the town.... i dont think they have enough isolation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom