• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NEW Xbox one thread of Hot Chips and No Pix

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The ride never ends.

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I heard from my sources that Xbox One™ incorporates quantum computing technology, which would explain all the spinning and why the Xbox One™ looks different everytime you observe it.

Vizzeh

Banned
Iv searched around GAF to see if I can find links to these rumours, but can someone tell me if this has been discussed or what they make of this:

http://wccftech.com/rumormicrosoft-xbox-possibly-feature-discrete-gpu-core-stacked-main-soc/

"According to the information, the APU fused on the Xbox One is using an W2W (wafer 2 wafer) multi-module design that allows stacking of one chip on another. The first layer wafer is dedicated to the 28nm HPM Main SOC which was revealed during Hot Chip 2013 with 8 Jaguar cores and a modified Radeon HD 6670 GPU with DX11.1 and OpenGL 3.0 support. The layer beneath it is dedicated to the stacked discrete GPU and the final wafer layer is dedicated to the 32 MB of ESRAM. In development phase, it was revealed by an insider that Microsoft Xbox One could possibly end up with 2 GB of GDDR5 memory in the stacked design in addition to the 8 GB DDR3 that is available to the system. The other information revealed by him were that the Xbox One would have a power envelope of 300W (90W for Main SOC and 95W for Discrete GPU) but during Wired’s tear down of the Xbox One, the power configuration revealed that Xbox One’s discrete GPU would be getting around 130-150W of power"

"So what is this discrete GPU itself? The second wafer is supposedly a 22nm SOI design featuring 2304 to 2560 stream processors as been rumored and based off the VI architecture. VI stands for Volcanic Islands which could be another reason why the discrete GPU has been kept a secret since the new Volcanic Islands based AMD Radeon family would be officially announced during the last week of September in Hawaii. If the Xbox One GPU is possibly based on a Volcanic Islands architecture or even a Southern Islands part with around 2048 cores as the Tahiti die, then this would prove to be a massive powerhouse of graphics performance."

more in the link itself....

I personally do not see this happening, why would Microsoft not reveal this, apparently their under a NDA? but they do not need to discuss the volvanic islands gpu, only work out their TFLOPs internally and publish.... this ontop of feeling the need to give away free copies of Fifa14 to shift launch stock (which if rumours are true, are lower than Sonys anyway)

This would be game changing but doesnt smell right to me.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Iv searched around GAF to see if I can find links to these rumours, but can someone tell me if this has been discussed or what they make of this:

http://wccftech.com/rumormicrosoft-xbox-possibly-feature-discrete-gpu-core-stacked-main-soc/

"According to the information, the APU fused on the Xbox One is using an W2W (wafer 2 wafer) multi-module design that allows stacking of one chip on another. The first layer wafer is dedicated to the 28nm HPM Main SOC which was revealed during Hot Chip 2013 with 8 Jaguar cores and a modified Radeon HD 6670 GPU with DX11.1 and OpenGL 3.0 support. The layer beneath it is dedicated to the stacked discrete GPU and the final wafer layer is dedicated to the 32 MB of ESRAM. In development phase, it was revealed by an insider that Microsoft Xbox One could possibly end up with 2 GB of GDDR5 memory in the stacked design in addition to the 8 GB DDR3 that is available to the system. The other information revealed by him were that the Xbox One would have a power envelope of 300W (90W for Main SOC and 95W for Discrete GPU) but during Wired’s tear down of the Xbox One, the power configuration revealed that Xbox One’s discrete GPU would be getting around 130-150W of power"

"So what is this discrete GPU itself? The second wafer is supposedly a 22nm SOI design featuring 2304 to 2560 stream processors as been rumored and based off the VI architecture. VI stands for Volcanic Islands which could be another reason why the discrete GPU has been kept a secret since the new Volcanic Islands based AMD Radeon family would be officially announced during the last week of September in Hawaii. If the Xbox One GPU is possibly based on a Volcanic Islands architecture or even a Southern Islands part with around 2048 cores as the Tahiti die, then this would prove to be a massive powerhouse of graphics performance."

I personally do not see this happening, why would Microsoft not reveal this, apparently their under a NDA? but they do not need to discuss the volvanic islands gpu, only work out their TFLOPs internally and publish.... this ontop of feeling the need to give away free copies of Fifa14 to shift launch stock (which if rumours are true, are lower than Sonys anyway)

It smells of what it is, Bullshit.

Unless you consider "misterxmedia" an authoritative source, in which case, more fool you.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I heard from my sources that Xbox One™ incorporates quantum computing technology, which would explain all the spinning and why the Xbox One™ looks different everytime you observe it.

And the lack of launch information from MS. Clearly it has already launched and simultaneously has yet to launch.

Vizzeh

Banned
It smells of what it is, Bullshit.

Unless you consider "misterxmedia" an authoritative source, in which case, more fool you.

My opinion matches yours dude, no worries there, I was interested on GAF's opinion since I couldnt find any threads.

Its some elaboration though and SemiAccurate may have been insinuating similar but, it does not fit with their entertainment model or in line with the amount of 1st party devs they have to try make it work...with ms mostly reliant mostly on 3rd parties.

http://youtu.be/6XLonioEfrk

Kevyt

It was stated that the Xbox one is using 4 command processors... so to calculate TFLOPS;

stream processors * memory frequency * command processors

at their hotchips event Microsoft revealed that their Xbox one chip has 4 command processors (2 compute, 2 graphics)

So...

PS4: 1152 * 800 * 2 : Total 1.84TFLOPs
Xbox One: 768 * 853 * 4 : Total 2.62TFLOPs

So the Xbox One is more powerful than the PS4, at least, TFLOPS wise?

Or is there something wrong with this calculation?

It was stated that the Xbox one is using 4 command processors... so to calculate TFLOPS;

at their hotchips event Microsoft revealed that their Xbox one chip has 4 command processors (2 compute, 2 graphics)

So...

Everything. Nothing regarding a more powerful GPU is true, only clocks changing.

So...

The "command" processors are scheduling engines for the shader pipelines. Since PS4 has 8 ACEs (Asynchronous Compute Engine) per shader, by your math PS4 would be 7.52 TF. So no.

8 Gigs flash is new to me... sounds super awesome! I'm getting a PS4, but that's a great feature. Makes turning the thing into the lowest powerstate probably really fast and super eco. Also Textures and stuff can be pre-loaded for the next level... so load-screens will be very very short, if there will be any at all.

Thinking about it... is the PS4 doing all that directly from HDD? Maybe I'll have to check prices for a low-end 500Gig SSD to put into my PS4.

8 Gigs flash is new to me... sounds super awesome! I'm getting a PS4, but that's a great feature. Makes turning the thing into the lowest powerstate probably really fast and super eco. Also Textures and stuff can be pre-loaded for the next level... so load-screens will be very very short, if there will be any at all.

Thinking about it... is the PS4 doing all that directly from HDD? Maybe I'll have to check prices for a low-end 500Gig SSD to put into my PS4.

You'll pay almost as much as the console for that drive I think:p

kitch9

Banned
you wouldn't need a huge coherent memory pool. If you're just storing textures/models that can just be dumb memory. You'd only need to reserve a small amount that you need for shared data between GPU/CPU.

and the limited coherent bandwidth of both consoles looks to be around 30GB/s, so the 176 isn't relevant in that case.

You appear to have no idea what you are talking about.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Unlikely as its probably MLC flash (only 10k cycles) which would be worn out fairly quickly

Its for storage when hibernating the processes. Remember... Games can't use all 5 GB they are allotted... Caching levels can and will be done via main memory

Also... I wonder what the custom graphics/compute command processors are

Unlikely as its probably MLC flash (only 10k cycles) which would be worn out fairly quickly.
Its for storage when hibernating the processes.

Flash memory is very helpful for an advanced stand-by state, though.

Wouldn't the 500Gb HDD be faster if you want to write your DRAM content in one sequential write down for hibernation than MLC memory?!?? I doubt that... though you got a fair point. IF that flash would be FAST MS probably would have made a thing out of that.

And yes, @maabus1999, that SSD would be about 290€ at the moment. But it's also kinda cool to just play with the thought.

ekim

Unlikely as its probably MLC flash (only 10k cycles) which would be worn out fairly quickly

Its for storage when hibernating the processes. Remember... Games can't use all 5 GB they are allotted... Caching levels can and will be done via main memory

Also... I wonder what the custom graphics/compute command processors are

The ones on the left in blue and violet.

kartu

Banned
8 Gigs flash is new to me... sounds super awesome! I'm getting a PS4, but that's a great feature. Makes turning the thing into the lowest powerstate probably really fast and super eco.
Uh, is typical flash memory even on par with HDD for sequential read/write???

Uh, is typical flash memory even on par with HDD for sequential read/write???

Exactly my point. If it's MLC than it doesn't make a lot of sense speed-wise if it's for hibernating and pre-loading levels and such. If it's SLC (what is used in SSDs these days) then it would be pretty awesome speedwise.

What speaks for the 8gig flash being MLC:
It's a lot cheaper and you could turn off the HDD for certain applications that need a little more than the 8GB DRAM.

What speaks for SLC:
It makes more sense speed-wise: Commom MLC is 25MB/s write and low-end SSD is about 200MB/s though this only counts if written to a lot of cells (?!) (about the size of some gigs) simultaniously, so 8GB SLC would be slower than 200MB/s. Also: prices for this kind of memory aren't as high as they used to. I have USB3 Flash drive, 32Gb, it cost me 37€ and writes at 210MB/s.

Top Bottom