• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch doesn't have ANY stereo output on it's controllers!!!??? WAT!?

Gestault

I had no idea this was such an expected thing until people starting complaining about it.

If you're in a household where sound contamination (in or out) ever comes up, you know how magical game audio over a controller jack can be. Heck, even just people who want to play at night with an effortless, cheap solution for quiet-not-quiet gameplay. Or people who prefer stereo audio from headphones over normal TV speakers. It really has been pretty standard for years now.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If you're in a household where sound contamination (in or out) ever comes up, you know how magical game audio over a controller jack can be. Heck, even just people who want to play at night an have an effortless, cheap solution for quiet-not-quiet gameplay. Or people who prefer stereo audio from headphones over normal TV speakers. It really has been pretty standard for years now.

Yeah it's just a nice convenience for playing at night (or when my fiance is working at home as her office is next to my office/mancave) that doesn't require me spending more money as I can just use the various cheap earbuds etc. I have laying around.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Surely the progressive feature is BT support not an archaic headphone jack.

I'd rather have a jack. I don't have any BT headphones, and don't really want to buy any as I'm already at my wits end with the plethora of stupid gadgets I have to hassle with keeping charged.

As is I just play portably, or more often just game on PC or PS4 (those are my mains anyway) when I need to use headphones as my fiance is working or sleeping. So it's not a big deal to me, must mildly annoying that the pro controller doesn't have a feature the other controllers due yet costs $10. Though I do use the NFC reader for Amiibo sometimes, so I guess that's partly worth the cost. Don't give a shit about HD rumble (or rumble in general) though.

Gestault

Surely the progressive feature is BT support not an archaic headphone jack.

Either would be nice. Both would be ideal. Calling the standard headphone jack "archaic" in this context is silly. It's a high-utility standard, and the alternative isn't offered (and there are high-end headsets that require the input). I prefer a standard jack, in part because it's not another device that needs to be pointlessly charged.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
OT but I made the mistake of getting Zelda on the WiiU at launch and a Switch (without Zelda) last week. I had one divine beast left when I got the Switch. I can't even look at the WiiU any more unfortunately so the Princess will have to wait.

What a weird reaction to have. If anything the Switch's current lack of software is really making me appreciate my Wii U's backlog at the moment.

Plainsong

I never even noticed as it's something I'd never use. I tried it through the DS4 and it was god awful and tinny and just horrible. Headphones are for plugging in to amplifiers :)

It's a huge deal to me, because I mostly game with headphones on at this point. On PS4 I have a wireless set, and if the battery is dead on those I use the port in the controller.

JCX

Yeah this is one of my biggest gripes with Switch, but I mostly play undocked so it isn't a huge deal. I am more upset that Vita can do bluetooth headphones but Switch can't. That should be a standard feature in devices like this by now.

Jumeira

Banned
Hey, but they got NFC in for Amiibos that you'll never use right? Nintendo baffle me with thier ineptitude.

Pro is the best controller ever
It's only good because it's close to Xbox controllers, i feel comfortable going from Xbox to Pro. Reinforces asymmetrical sticks are the right way to go.

Top Bottom