• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official AMIGA "Rosetinted" Thread

Gowans

Anyone remember the crazy shareware stick man space invaders style game with a Metallica song running in the background?

StormwatchGRE said:
Guru_meditation.gif

Best Home Micro ever........well after the Speccy of course

cool

Freak

Awsome..Awsome machine :D
and if im honest, if it wasnt for the Amiga i dont think id be doing what im doing now. As well as all the kick ass games that were avalible for it, it gave me my 1st real taste at building 3D worlds. Lightwave ftw !!!

I had an Atari ST, basically the same thing.

GODS
Speedball
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
James Pond
Batman
Monkey Island
Sim City
Another World

My mate's dad used to come home from his work with a pile of games every other week, I never played as many games as I did then.

Also the games you could buy for £1.99 from the newsagents, Mousetrap was addictive, and you could make music, drawings and design games on it. Unbelievable.

Pezking

Ah...such good times:

North and South
northandsouth2br2.png

Dune
dunezf5.png

Epic
epicdy0.png

Syndicate
syndicateub0.png

Blood Money
bloodmoney2nx4.png

Cabal
cabalul3.png

Hollywood Poker Pro :D
hollypokerpromt3.png

Civilization
civilizationamigaagafs0.png

Batman - The Movie
batmanamiga01id7.gif

Fire & Ice
002zj4.gif

Firepower
firepower1xv3.jpg

X-Out
xoutaw8.jpg

Dogs of War
dogswarum2.png

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer
emlynhughesinternationacm8.png

Sweet, sweet memories.

Pikelet

Despite not being born at the time of release, i can honestly say that from the list of games here about 5 are in my top 20. Monkey island, cannon fodder (shareware version, years later :/ ), worms and Indiana jones and the fate of Atlantis. Also me and my buddy used to play that poker pro game even though we didnt know how to play poker :(

painey

just gotta add one more, probably put more hours into this than any other game except WoW;

colonization.jpg

Such a travesty they have made so many Civs but never remade Colonization.

cedric69

Gowans007 said:
ah good old miroprose, i remeber the logo starting up on many a great amiga game
Yup, I loved Knights Of The Air. While Red Baron was a greater sim, KotA was, IMHO, a lot more involving, what with the pseudo-rpg character development and all...

This thread makes me smile, and I didn't even own an Amiga of my own back in the day. I enjoyed the hell out of Zool, Blood Money and Die Hard though~

Zweisy1

What all Sierra games came out for the Amiga? I played King's Quest 1-3, Space Quest 1, and Gold Rush (really wish I could play that again) but that was it.

Well...

Kings Quest 1-6
Leisure Suit Larry 1-5
The Quest for Glory 1 & 2
Police Quest 1-3
Codename: Iceman
Colonels Bequest
Manhunter
The Black Cauldron
Mixed-up Mother Goose
Manhunter 1 & 2
Conquests of Camelot
Conquests of Long Bow

That's all I can think of at the moment. There are probably a few others and I didnt include any of the Dynamix games like Willy Beamish..

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
One other game, that got very overlooked. Benefactor, by Digital Illusions.

A great little arcade puzzle game, sort of like Flashback crossed with Lemmings.

benefactor1_tn.png
071104-_Amiga_-_Benefactor.jpg

SpoonyBard said:
Was OIDS ever released on Amiga? It was made by FTL, who also did Dungeon Master, and it took them long time to port that to Amiga, and even then it needed 1 megabyte of memory, when the ST version ran on half of that. Which was nice.

Anyway, OIDS rocked, I think it was one of the first games with a physics engine as part of the gameplay.

You know, maybe it never was on Amiga. I had an ST and then an Amiga, and I worked in a store that sold both, so my memory of what was on which platform may be a bit hazy. I played it on ST, I was just thinking it was on Amiga as well.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I always drooled over the Amigas. I had some friends who had them. Great computer for the time. I had a Commodore 128. C64 mode FTW!

Oh, and this thread is a testament to why I don't get the NES nostalgia threads. To me, console gaming was in a sad, sad state when compared to the home computer scene.

Seep

Speedball 2
Hunter
Chaos Engine
Worms
Alien Breed
Monkey Island
Fire Force
Syndicate
Moonstone
Walker
Hired Guns
Turrican II
Cannon Fodder

Many great games.. wish I had my A600 back.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ignatz Mouse said:
Oh, and this thread is a testament to why I don't get the NES nostalgia threads. To me, console gaming was in a sad, sad state when compared to the home computer scene.

Yeah, there was so much creativity going on around the C64/Spectrum time and then that just exploded with the Amiga. New genres were being created all over the place.

To have cutting-edge hardware that was that affordable, and open to anyone to develop on was easily one of the most creative times for the software industry.

Zweisy1

I hate to say this being a huge Amiga fan but NES just did some genres better than Amiga.

Most Amiga platformers are quite sad compared to Mario 3 or even the first Mario.. stuff like Superfrog, Kid Chaos, Robocod and Zool are fun and all but..

Always wanted a Metroid type game on the Amiga too but never got one..

That said, Amiga was definitely the best gaming computer of its time.

Gowans

Zweisy1 said:
I hate to say this being a huge Amiga fan but NES just did some genres better than Amiga.

Most Amiga platformers are quite sad compared to Mario 3 or even the first Mario.. stuff like Superfrog, Kid Chaos, Robocod and Zool are fun and all but..

yeah I did have a little Mario envy till this bad boy:
457px-Sistersbox.jpg

Amiga_Great_Giana_Sisters.png
Amiga_Great_Giana_Sisters_alt.png

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Zweisy1 said:

Yeah, Amiga platformers were never usually refined enough. Even Giana Sisters didn't get it quite right. The platform shooters were much more successful though - the Turrican games, Ruff 'n' Tumble ...

The only console quality platformer was one that appeared when the Amiga was practically dead:

MarvinsMarvellousAdv.jpg

It was bit too easy, but had really good mechanics.

True, platformers were better on NES. But I was never a big platformer fan, particularly shooting platformers. My problem with the NES was the lack of variety compared to the ST and Amiga scenes.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ignatz Mouse said:
True, platformers were better on NES. But I was never a big platformer fan, particularly shooting platformers. My problem with the NES was the lack of variety compared to the ST and Amiga scenes.

Yeah, things like Carrier Command were in a different league.

Philthy

So much love for my old A500. Back then, it was almost a lifestyle. It was scary how tight knit the community was with each other. When you ran into someone who owned an Amiga on a BBS or in person, it was like you were part of a sacred brotherhood of Commodore. The only thing missing was a secret handshake.

Turrican II and Dungeon Master: Chaos Strikes Back were quite possibly the best games created. Even today they would still stand up in game play and design.

How many hours I spent flying around in Falcon 3.0 and F/A-18. Starglider 2 and Damocles brought me to entirely different worlds. Cybercron ]I[ allowed me to stomp around in my powersuit through a huge fortress filled with traps. Armourgeddon was simply one of the best Null-Modem games to play with a friend, that and Lotus Turbo Esprit 2. And who could forget the incredible intro to Blood Money? There's a whole lot going on! yeah. yeah!

Oh man. Where is my time machine.

Zweisy1

Nash: Marvin is AGA only, right? Gotta try to hunt the game somewhere. Need a good excuse to hook up my A1200 again.

Fair enough. I agree about variety actually.. you never saw stuff like Monkey Island, Hunter or Cannon Fodder on the NES.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Zweisy1 said:
Nash: Marvin is AGA only, right? Gotta try to hunt the game somewhere. Need a good excuse to hook up my A1200 again.

Yep, AGA only.

It was a good looking little game, had a nice style about it.

pr0cs

I forgot about this:

Mega lo Mania
mega1.png

has to be one of the very first real time strategy type games ever created. I loved this damn game.

Fularu

Banned
Some screens from amiga demos. Most of them are from the ECS chipset. 32 colors!

Arte (Sanity) :

sanity_arte.jpg

State of the art (Spaceballs)

spaceballs_stateoftheart.jpg

Nexus 7 (Andromeda)

andromeda_nexus7.jpg

Psychedelic (Virtual Dreams, the demo group from legend Fairlight)

virtual_dreams_psychedelic.jpg

Anyone remeber Silly Putty?

http://hol.abime.net/4983

And that game with the ant from the wotsits pack, where you'd push dominos over, great days.

I was going out with a bird last year who had an Amiga, she was going to give it to me but we ended up breaking up, Bitch :(

YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ME HEARRRRRTIEEESSSS

Check out Flashtro for all your favourite intros in a new handy convenient format....

The choons.......THE CHOONS - Damn did the Amiga scene have some talented musicans and coders or what?

pubba

Fantastic thread!

I used to love the demo discs that were available. Some of them were mind-blowing..

Also - this thread needs some Rick Dangerous lovin'

thumb-rick_dangerous.PNG
st22.png

Rickdangerous2_a.gif
rick04.jpg

Shazapp

I used to work for Amigaman, a fairly large mail order Amiga store in the U.S. I got to play with all sorts of Amiga stuff as soon as it was released...and got paid for it.

From 1991 to 1995, I owned all kinds of Amiga hardware: Amiga 500, Amiga 3000T, Amiga 4000/030, Amiga 1200 and the CD32. I probably spent more money on them than I should have, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

My favorite games were Civilization, Pinball Dreams, Alien Breed, The Chaos Engine, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Lemmings. Also there was a shareware game (I can't remember the name) that was a great Arkanoid clone. One of the guys at Amigaman paid to register it and we sat and played it all day between phone calls.

I miss those days.

TheIkariWarrior said:
NOT. only thing they shared in common was a 68000 processor. the Amiga's custom graphics and audio processors made the difference.

I just meant the games, I'm not going to start some system tech war!

Sapiens

Shit - I had no idea how many classic 16 bt games originated on the Amiga

cool thread

Computer gaming culture in the 80s and 90s was viewed as unfathomably cool to a console kid like me who could not afford the investment for a PC.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Atari ST nonsense aside. :)

I was a huge fan of the Psygnosis games - Barbarian and Obliterator were real standouts when it came to incorporating mouse-based play mechanics in what were essentially platform games. The Shadow of the Beast series (loved the intro for 2) was pretty cool, but I liked the other Psygnosis titles that weren't necessarily as high profile - Killing Game Show, Agony, Armour-Geddon, Leander.

Death Sword (Barbarian in the UK) which was one of the best fighters ever made? The risk-vs-reward of attempting to slice off the head of your opponent was a gamble worth taking, if for nothing more than the style points.

How about the DigiTek demo that used the Art of Noise's "Paranoimia" as the backing track? That demo must have sold thousands of Amigas on its own. Classic stuff.

I still have all of my old games plus a 2000HD and a 500, but the hardware's failing. Time to scour the classifieds, methinks.

Top Bottom