• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren777

Here's an interesting rumor, if true...

Source
Another suggestion that the Canon EOS 6D will be announced soon. It might be announced on a different day than the PowerShot and Pixma announcements early next week.

Specifications:
22mp (Same as 5D2)
4.5 fps continuous
Touchscreen LCD
Same AF system as 7D
Lower build quality than 5D3

Forsete

Gold Member
A Full frame nex with good video mode and canon lens adapter and im so fucking there.

Sadly, knowing sony it would be prohibitively priced. :(

P.S. isnt sony also confirmed to show the alpha 99 DSLR - which is a full frame? Why would they undermine that?

Yes A99 is due to be shown. Maybe a pro APS-C or a NEX FF prototype (they already have a FF NEX Camcorder coming), we shall see.

Red

Reflectors come in all shapes and sizes - round, rectangle, etc. My favorite ones are just giant 6 ft home depot sheets are thick cardboard. I think they are like $20. Cheap and effective. Really any flat white surface can do. :)

This is an old shot but it has a white cloth reflector, black cloth one (to eat up spill) and cardboard covered in aluminum foil.

6148691939_0760d38dfb.jpg
Do you use continuous lights? I've been checking out lighting prices lately and the cheapest well-regarded brand i can find is alien bees. I've never used off-camera strobes before, always had arri tungsten lamps in school. I don't think strobes will be too difficult to pick up on, but even the alien bees prices are a bit prohibitive... Would you or anyone else have suggestions on something cheap that provides relatively good results? So far all I've worked with in photography is natural light.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Do you use continuous lights? I've been checking out lighting prices lately and the cheapest well-regarded brand i can find is alien bees. I've never used off-camera strobes before, always had arri tungsten lamps in school. I don't think strobes will be too difficult to pick up on, but even the alien bees prices are a bit prohibitive... Would you or anyone else have suggestions on something cheap that provides relatively good results? So far all I've worked with in photography is natural light.

I use Alien Bees. The hairlight and background light (can't see in pic) are AB800s. The one up front is a White Lightning (Paul C Buff's older line before ABs came out) I had to borrow that day from a friend.

Bees are the best bang for your buck. If cash is tight I'd recommend grabbing one and learning it, then adding as you go. They'll be good for a long time. Anything cheaper will probably just piss you off.

dmshaposv

Here's an interesting rumor, if true...

Canon's next camera is pretty much a 7D or 60d update for sure.

I dont think theyll announce it since theyve already announced so much this year already. They refreshed 2 pro models, 1 entry level and will introduce a new dslr (1D-Cinema eos).

They most likely will announce it next year.

What we may get:

7d build quality
Shitty touchscreen
APS-C
Clean hdmi out
Headphone jack
9 fps continous shoot

And if they go the full frame route:

5dmkII/60d build quality
Full frame
Shitty touchscreen.
No headphone jack
No clean hdmi out like mkiii
4.5 fps continous shoot

tino

Banned
Canon's next camera is pretty much a 7D or 60d update for sure.

I dont think theyll announce it since theyve already announced so much this year already. They refreshed 2 pro models, 1 entry level and will introduce a new dslr (1D-Cinema eos).

They most likely will announce it next year.

What we may get:

7d build quality
Shitty touchscreen
APS-C
Clean hdmi out
Headphone jack
9 fps continous shoot

And if they go the full frame route:

5dmkII/60d build quality
Full frame
Shitty touchscreen.
No headphone jack
No clean hdmi out like mkiii
4.5 fps continous shoot

They are holding the cards and wait for Nikon to show hand first. If Nikon release a FF, Canon has to release a FF. IMO 5D3 is not very competitive against D800 and the potential D600 (I assume this is a $1999 camera, forget 1500).

Sallokin

I'm really new to this as a hobby. Still trying to wrap my head around a lot of the terminology and stuff.

I have a Nikon D5100 which is perfect for my level of skill it feels. The only lenses I have are the kit lens it came with (18-55 3.5-5.6) and a 55-200 4-5.6G lens that someone gave me because they had upgraded their equipment. Where should I go from here? Is the 35mm 1.8 the one I should get? I see it mentioned a lot as a must have. Any recommendations would be most welcome.

mclaren777

Let's rant about camera features for a bit.

I realize that companies artificially restrict features to make high-end hardware more desirable, but I hate it that common features aren't available on lower-end models.

Case in point: I really wish all DSLRs had either minimum shutter speed or minimum ISO settings.

I know that experienced photographers will just tell me to shoot manual to avoid this limitation, but I still think it's dumb that Canon/Nikon/whoever restricts something so basic on most of their cameras.

Case in point: I really wish all DSLRs had either minimum shutter speed or minimum ISO settings.

I was sure that I read in a review of one of the recent Nikon SLRs that they'd put this in, or other similar sane "why the hell didn't they do this before" feature to the auto-ISO options.

teiresias

Let's rant about camera features for a bit.

I realize that companies artificially restrict features to make high-end hardware more desirable, but I hate it that common features aren't available on lower-end models.

I know that experienced photographers will just tell me to shoot manual to avoid this limitation, but I still think it's dumb that Canon/Nikon/whoever restricts something so basic on most of their cameras.

Don't have my D90 in front of me, but I could swear there's an option for a min-ISO buried in the setup menu for the Auto-ISO function. I probably couldn't find it in the menus now without the manual though, it was fairly buried if I remember correctly (well, not like most settings aren't also buried in Nikon's menu system on their DSLRs).

Anyone with a Canon shoot with off-camera strobes? A friend is asking me for a flash recommendation for his wife's birthday. She shoots Canon, and I'm a Nikon shooter.

"She wants something to set up as a flash in a different part of the room."

Thraktor

IIRC it turned out to be a NEX Camcorder. But it shows the mount is capable of FF sensors like Sony said. A proper camera might still show up as a mysterious "pro" NEX is going to be shown soon.

If the mount is actually capable of FF sensors, then there's going to be a FF NEX camera at some point. There's no point making room for FF (and hence making the mount bigger than it needs to be) if you're only ever going to use it with APS-C sensors.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Anyone with a Canon shoot with off-camera strobes? A friend is asking me for a flash recommendation for his wife's birthday. She shoots Canon, and I'm a Nikon shooter.

"She wants something to set up as a flash in a different part of the room."

95% of the time I take a pic I'm attached to strobes. What exactly is she taking pics of?

Coldsnap

Need a camera recommendation. I need something to film my lifts in the gym for my coach. It would be sweet if I could upload them directly to youtube through camera wifi. I just bought a samsung WB150F at Best Buy and when reading the instructions I noticed that through wifi you can only upload a resolution of 340 x 220.. which is crap. I'd get one of those flip videos but they won't stand up by themselves on a bench or w/e i use to hold the camera while I lift.

Red

Need a camera recommendation. I need something to film my lifts in the gym for my coach. It would be sweet if I could upload them directly to youtube through camera wifi. I just bought a samsung WB150F at Best Buy and when reading the instructions I noticed that through wifi you can only upload a resolution of 340 x 220.. which is crap. I'd get one of those flip videos but they won't stand up by themselves on a bench or w/e i use to hold the camera while I lift.
Willing to use a tripod? That's the best way you're going to get a wide range of stable cameras.
I use Alien Bees. The hairlight and background light (can't see in pic) are AB800s. The one up front is a White Lightning (Paul C Buff's older line before ABs came out) I had to borrow that day from a friend.

Bees are the best bang for your buck. If cash is tight I'd recommend grabbing one and learning it, then adding as you go. They'll be good for a long time. Anything cheaper will probably just piss you off.
A head by itself is not too bad, but the price adds up when you consider a stand, umbrella, reflector, etc. not sure the best way to go about it.

Coldsnap

Do you know if it will stand up by itself? Im gonna be standing it on top of benches or wooden benches.

I think that's a little too much for what I need too.. looks cool though

95% of the time I take a pic I'm attached to strobes. What exactly is she taking pics of?

People, I would imagine.

I think she's enamoured with the off-camera stuff I do on my Nikon (I just use a SB600 optically slaved with my camera's onboard as commander).

One of her other friends was using a handheld strobe on a sync cable on his Sony SLR at wedding we were at in May.

mclaren777

Do you know if it will stand up by itself? Im gonna be standing it on top of benches or wooden benches.

I think that's a little too much for what I need too.. looks cool though

It has a tripod mount so any $20 stand would be sufficient. The wi-fi version is only $250-270 and you could even wear it on your head if you wanted a cool POV look. You can obviously look elsewhere, but I think this Action Cam is worth considering.

Coldsnap

Willing to use a tripod? That's the best way you're going to get a wide range of stable cameras.

A head by itself is not too bad, but the price adds up when you consider a stand, umbrella, reflector, etc. not sure the best way to go about it.

Yea, i'd def use a tripod. I have a gorilla magnet one.

If the mount is actually capable of FF sensors, then there's going to be a FF NEX camera at some point. There's no point making room for FF (and hence making the mount bigger than it needs to be) if you're only ever going to use it with APS-C sensors.

Sony has confirmed that the E-mount is large enough for FF, but none of the current lenses would support a sensor that size effectively.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
People, I would imagine.

I think she's enamoured with the off-camera stuff I do on my Nikon (I just use a SB600 optically slaved with my camera's onboard as commander).

One of her other friends was using a handheld strobe on a sync cable on his Sony SLR at wedding we were at in May.

Assuming she is not shooting studio and would be ok with speedlights (something simple) she could look into Canon's line. The 580EXII is nice. 430EX is also nice if she's on a lower budget. Depending on her camera model she may be able to trigger them off camera optically.

Yeah, it can get expensive. If you are set on studio strobes I would recommend saving up a little longer if you have to. You can also look into cheaper speedlights which may fit into your budget better. I've never been much of a fan of speedlights myself.

Thraktor

Sony has confirmed that the E-mount is large enough for FF, but none of the current lenses would support a sensor that size effectively.

My guess is that, like Nikon's APS-C lenses on their FF bodies, a FF NEX would recognise that an APS-C lens is attached and only use the centre portion of the sensor. They would need a naming scheme that makes clear the differences between APS-C and FF lenses, though.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm trying to sell a basically brand new Nikon D90 (less than a thousand clicks), 18-105VR kit lens, and 55-200 VR lens.

I know I'd have some better luck splitting things up; but right now am trying to sell as a bundle, and am looking to net $700 to me. I have it listed on CL, on FredMiranda, and elsewhere. About to post on the B/S/T thread here.

But I've been getting super lowball offers ($400 or less for the whole bundle). Am I way off on the value of this? The kit without the zoom sells for $650+ or higher on eBay pretty regularly...

Zyzyxxz

I'm trying to sell a basically brand new Nikon D90 (less than a thousand clicks), 18-105VR kit lens, and 55-200 VR lens.

I know I'd have some better luck splitting things up; but right now am trying to sell as a bundle, and am looking to net $700 to me. I have it listed on CL, on FredMiranda, and elsewhere. About to post on the B/S/T thread here.

But I've been getting super lowball offers ($400 or less for the whole bundle). Am I way off on the value of this? The kit without the zoom sells for $650+ or higher on eBay pretty regularly...

These days you can get a D5100 with the kit zoom for $650, sure it doesn't autofocus with older lenses but it's got the same sensor as the D7000 so it's a hard sell. The only reason for someone to get the D90 now is because they want to autofocus with AF-D lenses but can't afford a D7000 but that market is quite niche these days.

I sold my D90 body earlier this year for about $500 body only. You might want to part it out since people may lowball you on trying to buy the entire set. The lenses should retain their value well it's the body you need to get rid of fast.

spats

I'm going on a longer trip next month and want to bring my camera with me, but I'm getting tired of lugging around my D3100 + possible lenses.

Would it be completely crazy to sell it along with the kit 18-55 and get an RX100 as a pocketable camera? Does anyone here have first hand experience with it? It's expensive as hell, but it offers almost everything I want from a compact camera, the large 1.8 (albeit variable) aperture being on top of the list.

I was thinking that I'd hold on to my Nikkor lenses for now and then get a body for them if/when I run into some money later on.

Phoenix4

You have a 60d, right?

Tokina 11-16mm DO IT.

Also, consider Tamron 17-50mm. I'd suggest Tokina becuase even if you upgrade to Full frame in future, you can still use that lens on a full frame body for some cool fish eye effects. Check the vid I posted above.

Bit of a late response from me but thanks for the advice, will definitely look into both. The Canon 18-55mm 2.8 USM also caught my eye but will probably be (way) above my budget

I was looking into getting a Nikon D800.

I really love the amazing dynamic range and recover-ability in shadows and highlights.
Also the full frame 36MP images also looks to offer up a lot of options when it comes to cropping and composition.

However the cost is a little to high for what I am able to afford.

This brings me to the newly coming D600 that has been seen around the rumor mills.
It is said to be a 26MP full frame sensor which actually sits exactly in the area that I am comfortable with. If the sensor in this new camera has the same dynamic range as the D800 I think it will be a sure buy for me.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to take my first steps into manual focus with my 550D. I only have the kit lens at the moment, and I'm wondering what lens would be a good buy.
I'm looking for something that would give me more freedom for focusing ou medium distance subjects while keeping the background out of focus.

A crappy test pic I took yesterday with the kit lens trying to keep the lamp post focused:
7958479884_ed6fd9c3ec_b.jpg

I'm trying to take my first steps into manual focus with my 550D. I only have the kit lens at the moment, and I'm wondering what lens would be a good buy.
I'm looking for something that would give me more freedom for focusing ou medium distance subjects while keeping the background out of focus.

You need to look up hyperfocal distance. For a given focal length and aperture, there's a focal point which will make everything beyond in focus. You're trying to avoid that. The wider the lens and the smaller the aperture (higher f/number), that distance gets closer.

I'm going on a longer trip next month and want to bring my camera with me, but I'm getting tired of lugging around my D3100 + possible lenses.

My recipe for SLR happiness is that when I set out on foot, I only take a body and a single lens. I have the camera on a sling strap, and I don't carry a bag.

magicstop

Hi guys,

A crappy test pic I took yesterday with the kit lens trying to keep the lamp post focused:
7958479884_ed6fd9c3ec_b.jpg

In order to achieve that background blur (bokeh) you want, you need to have some distance between your subject and the background. In addition, having a tighter lens (more zoomed) will achieve better bokeh. A faster lens (larger aperture) will produce better bokeh. Finally, you want a lens with inherently good bokeh characteristics, usually due to things like number of aperture blades.
With your kit lens, try zooming all the way to the 55mm end of the lens (or 50mm would do ok), and make sure your subject is quite a bit closer than the background.

For manual focusing, I'd recommend using the live view mode, as you'll be able to see the focus and composition much better than through the viewfinder. Doesn't look like you quite achieved focus on your flagpole. The EF-S and EF lenses should provide focus confirmation as well, lighting up the auto-focus points in your viewfinder when you achieved proper manual focus on a given point. You have to hold the shutter release down half way (as if auto-focusing) for this feedback. Give it a try.

As far as other lenses that have nice bokeh, there's a lot of them. Usually, you want fast lenses (really low f/#, such as f/1.4), and lenses with some reach (50mm and up). The EF 85mm is a pretty well loved lens, coming in a variety of apertures. The 50mm f/1.4 is generally liked as well. Those might be good starting points. I use an old SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4 lens for my portrait work or pics I need good bokeh. You can find those for <$200 and all you need is an adapter.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
My cousin found a 50/1.8 Canon FD at a vintage store and got it for me. She got it for a few dollars and its in great condition. Goes for $35 usually. Really happy to have it since I feel out of wack without a 50mm lens.

tino

Banned
The photos seem legit. I am confused. So instead of making a FF NEX body, which Sony has demonstrate the E monut is capable, Sony is making a mega X100?

How much is a Zeiss 35mm/2? A real one would have cost at least 1k.

So this camera is like 2500 minimum?

But people who can afford this kind of equipment want to use their Leica lenses.

Radec

The photos seem legit. I am confused. So instead of making a FF NEX body, which Sony has demonstrate the E monut is capable, Sony is making a mega X100?

But people who can afford this kind of equipment want to use their Leica lenses.

Flagship NEX is not yet in due for replacement. Maybe early next year.

Radec

But why name it RX1 though.

Wouldn't that confuse alot of people ?

Why not RX1 Pro?

if you know what I mean :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I am curious about the price.

Nex 7 body = $1,000
RX100 = $600
35/2 Zeiss lens = $1,000

I could see sony asking as much as $2500 for this thing. But honestly, I don't think anyone would buy it for that price. I'm hoping we're missing something, and it comes in around $1200. Still wouldn't get one - too much for a fixed lens, IMO.

What this means, though.... I'm really, really hoping we see a full-frame X-series from Fuji. I'd be all over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom