• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

I am curious about the price.

Nex 7 body = $1,000
RX100 = $600
35/2 Zeiss lens = $1,000

I could see sony asking as much as $2500 for this thing. But honestly, I don't think anyone would buy it for that price. I'm hoping we're missing something, and it comes in around $1200. Still wouldn't get one - too much for a fixed lens, IMO.

What this means, though.... I'm really, really hoping we see a full-frame X-series from Fuji. I'd be all over that.
lol

Full frame sensors guys.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
If anything the Sony FF compact signifies a big change in where a FF sensor is placed. It may be priced like some exotic big screen OLED but next year im sure we'll see the prices for newer products come down to earth.

I love that it's Sony that's doing this though. I'm also interested in the design of that Zeiss lens. The modern SLR design is a reference lens for the format.

tino

Banned
Assuming these leaked photos of RX1 and A99 are real. Allow me to point out a few Sony strategy problems:
1) Can't commit to either EVF.
2) Can't commit to APS on NEX. Introducing a new lines of possible NEX lens when the APSC NEX lineup is basically barren.
3) Major change to the hotshoe
4) IMO a FF NEX body with EVF would have make much more sense than a FF non interchangeable rangefinder. A FF NEX body would have been a satisfying conclusion to the suspension novel that is the NEX lineup. Add this RX1 is basically introducing more questions then fullfilling answers.

IMO this is not a right time to invest in any NEX lens.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This thing is going to be insane in low light.
Assuming these leaked photos of RX1 and A99 are real. Allow me to point out a few Sony strategy problems:
1) Can't commit to either EVF or OVF
2) Can't commit to APS on NEX. Introducing a new lines of possible NEX lens when the APSC NEX lineup is basically barren.
3) Major change to the hotshoe
4) IMO a FF NEX body with EVF would have make much more sense than a FF non interchangeable rangefinder. A FF NEX body would have been a satisfying conclusion to the suspension novel that is the NEX lineup. Add this RX1 is basically introducing more questions then fullfilling answers.

IMO this is not a right time to invest in any NEX lens.
Yep, they're clearly in a transitional phase right now.
But why would you expect an OVF in a new Sony camera?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
lol

Full frame sensors guys.

I totally agree with you. I'm definitely expecting $2,00-$2,500. But I don't think it'd be entirely out of the realm of possibility for this to come in at $1500 or so; making it $1200 during its first good sale or on the gently-used second-hand market.

MRORANGE

You sometimes have to applaud Sony, sometimes they just go crazy and create some premium product for a niche market.

Now it just has be priced decently, which will never happen.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If anything the Sony FF compact signifies a big change in where a FF sensor is placed. It may be priced like some exotic big screen OLED but next year im sure we'll see the prices for newer products come down to earth.

I love that it's Sony that's doing this though.
I'm also interested in the design of that Zeiss lens. The modern SLR design is a reference lens for the format.

Me, too. I love that Sony can still go balls-to-the-wall crazy with a great new product when they actually really try. Plus, things like this are the only things that will light a fire under Canon/Nikon's ass.

Skel1ingt0n

This could end up being a near perfect street photography at night camera. Which is what I'm always looking for.

EDIT: Sorry, thought I edited and not double-posted.

Radec

rx1-top.gif

3 Custom settings should have been in the NEX7.

Ember128

Camera companies have always had the technology, really, to make smaller full frame cameras. The reason Companies like Canon and Nikon don't do that IMHO is because it would interfere with their product road map and longer term strategy.

Olympus with the OM-D and now Sony with this camera, don't have the same restrictions. Canon and Nikon are the biggest companies and the most wanted cameras. They know that very well.

But the smaller guys? They are far more ready to push the envelope than everyone else.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I am confused about why they would release that without interchangeable lenses.
The X100 was a big hit for Fuji.

There's also the problem of protecting their Alpha and Nex lines, at least for the time being. However, I think this product makes it clear that their days are numbered.

I am confused about why they would release that without interchangeable lenses.

Because they aren't prepared to produce a system of lenses for a mirrorless FF mount yet. Fuji weren't ready for interchangeability with the X100 nor Konica with the Hexar AF. Great interchangeable-lens cameras followed both of those.

The rumors say a full-frame NEX will debut next year.

Skel1ingt0n

It's a shame it's not an ILC. I was waiting to buy this lens (which is an amazing value) to pair it with an e mount FF body.

Wait.... fur real?

Or is my sarcasm meter broken? If not, well then DAYUM.

Ah, the SonyAlphaRumors admin says the RX1 will be just a bit less than $3K. I was just a wee bit overoptimistic.

Some final pictures of the NEX-6 surfaced too:

nex6-front.gif
nex6-back.gif

Looks nicer than the preproduction pics that were floating around.

BlueTsunami

Because they aren't prepared to produce a system of lenses for a mirrorless FF mount yet. Fuji weren't ready for interchangeability with the X100 nor Konica with the Hexar AF. Great interchangeable-lens cameras followed both of those.

The rumors say a full-frame NEX will debut next year.

I agree, and it makes sense when you consider their camcorders. If a FF NEX was released you'd have to think a portion of the consumers who would buy it may have paid more for a dedicated camcorder if they didn't have the choice.

Forsete

Gold Member
Awesome stuff. :p

I love the crazy stuff they are pulling right now.
Now, get krazy with the NEX lenses. I am itching for a fast zoom with OSS.

Edit: Le sigh. If Sony insists on raping current Alpha owners with that stupid ass ISO-shoe why the heck doesn't the A99 come with a built in flash? I hope the adapter is in the package at least (it wont be).

Skel1ingt0n

$3K, huh? Welp, I was way off! Lol. I figured $2600 at the max, and was definitely hoping for under $2K.

Guess that means whatever the X-Pro 1's successor is, is what I'll have my eye on, still. Any new rumors on the X-Pro 2? It seemed people were thinking we might see one at Photokina; but the murmurs have stopped in the last few months.

Also, I'm gonna post this in the B/S/T forum; but figured I'd just drop it in here if anyone is interested. I'm looking to sell my D90, 18-105 VR Kit Lens, and 55-200VR. Everything looks and works great/like-new - the body has less than 1,000 clicks. I'm probably just gonna end up eBay-ing it this week; but figured I'd throw it out here. I'm looking to get $700 for the bundle/shipped via PP Gift.

7964177894_390e28fed7_c.jpg

7964188678_0ded5677fb_c.jpg

7964156794_dba1e56291_c.jpg

tino

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I think putting a "real" FF Zeiss lens in a camera without any OVF or EVF is dumb. What demographic is Sony shooting for?

I hope is fake. Or there is a bundled EVF.

dmshaposv

I really like rx100's design - it is a perfect hybrid of retro and modern. More like the modern leicas than the fujis which are more retro.

The rx1 with FF and fixed lens could be the ultimate street camera if they had added a bloody evf. A most likely 2k - 2.5k cam withoutit?! Even they nex 6 has one!

Seriously sony you just put a bloody full frame on what looks like a point and shoot body. Who are they aiming for?

spats

The RX100 lacks in-camera raw conversion and a 24p video mode, do you think there's any chance they'd get patched in via a firmware update? How is Sony's post-launch software support in general? This camera is slowly enticing me into buying it.

The RX100 lacks in-camera raw conversion and a 24p video mode, do you think there's any chance they'd get patched in via a firmware update? How is Sony's post-launch software support in general? This camera is slowly enticing me into buying it.

Post-launch software support has been pretty shitty, but they've said its something they're working to improve on.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I'm all for a fixed lens camera of this ilk (I'm an X100 owner after all) but no viewfinder just confounds me, FF sensor or not.

dmshaposv

Guys.

I'm very much interested in buying a macro lens lately. I want to shoot "macro" video, get up close and personal with ants and little critters.

So, I've been wondering would it be worth investing in this hunk of L glass lovin'?

100mm2.8ismacro.jpg

From all the reviews and stuff I've read, this is optically similar to the half-the-price 100mm macro non-L. But my only decision to go for the L is due to IS, which makes a HUGE difference in video at least (one of the reason I'm not gonna buy the 24-70mm "brick" even its damned fine quality).

I haven't done macro so don't know how little hand movements/shakes translate to recording video (with the bad as it is rolling shutter problems). I definitely want to save money and get the non IS 100mm macro, but it is useless to me if the video I produce looks like shit due to not having IS (compounded with rolling shutter).

For example, on the youtubes, I found this video from the non-IS 100mil macro.
It is horribly shakey. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx0jghPe-yo&feature=g-hist

So what say you GAF? should I save some cash and go non-IS or go IS with the L glass?

BlueTsunami

The lack of viewfinder is ver jarring but I believe the comparable Leica didn't either (the updated one has one I believe). I wonder if they have a new OLED EVF on deck that will be announced alongside it?

mclaren777

The RX100 lacks in-camera raw conversion...

I wasn't aware that people actually used that feature in cameras.

I haven't done macro so don't know how little hand movements/shakes translate to recording video...

I was under the impression that most macro pictures/videos typically involve using a tripod.

Sony's tech seems great, but their lineup is going to be confusing as hell to non-camera gear geeks.

I consider myself to be a camera geek and I'm fully confused by Sony's current lineup. The entire NEX line just looks like gibberish from my perspective.

Skel1ingt0n

rx1.gif

$2799, to be exact, according to alpharumors.

EEk. I mean; there's no arguing their assessment that a typical FF from Nikon or Canon + a 35 mm f2 would cost more than this combo. But you give up so many other features by going with this Sony. But, on the flip side of that, this thing is uber portable; and there's nothing on the market like it.

I don't see this selling well at all. But, I'm still extremely pleased Sony is releasing it. I definitely WANT one; but it'll never happen, lol.

Zyzyxxz

rx1.gif

$2799, to be exact, according to alpharumors.

EEk. I mean; there's no arguing their assessment that a typical FF from Nikon or Canon + a 35 mm f2 would cost more than this combo. But you give up so many other features by going with this Sony. But, on the flip side of that, this thing is uber portable; and there's nothing on the market like it.

I don't see this selling well at all. But, I'm still extremely pleased Sony is releasing it. I definitely WANT one; but it'll never happen, lol.

It will likely be a super low volume product meant as a stop gap until they can really get the FF ILC thing going.

Skel1ingt0n

It will likely be a super low volume product meant as a stop gap until they can really get the FF ILC thing going.

Are we all still expecting that to come around in 2013?

spats

Looks extremely nice, but it's not going to sell outside of a very small market consisting of people who treat cameras like that the same way they treat really, really expensive shoes.

tino

Banned
I wouldn't have problem with it if it has an EVF, the lens some how shrink half way into the body, and its actually branded Contax.

This is probably more bulky than a Leica with a small lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom