• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys was just scouring the web for some used telephoto deals, these caught my attention:

Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L for $980
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS v1 for $1580

Which would be better for stills and photography? I know the IS is great and essential for video but dat price :((

I mean would IS really matter if this is going to be on a tripod anyway? Even for stills I dont see myself lugging around such a heavy lens around my neck.

Wouldnt the non IS be a better bargain?

What say you GAF?? Which lens is the better deal?

I have a 70-200mm f/4L (non-IS) for sale.

teiresias

I wonder if the D600 will have the uncompressed 4:2:2 HDMI live video output of the D800. That would be even more amazing - though if it's $1500 or so I can't imagine that would be there. I love my D90, but it's really subpar for any video work, and I tend to like the footage I've seen of the D800.

I know Canon seems to be the way to go for video use, but since video is secondary I think I can do without it (so long as the rolling shutter isn't nearly as bad as it is on the D90).

Phoenix4

Bit of a late response from me but thanks for the advice, will definitely look into both. The Canon 18-55mm 2.8 USM also caught my eye but will probably be (way) above my budget

I've read some reviews and people are generally negative about the VC version of the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 because of the bad and loud auto focusing (VC is pretty important for me, mostly shoot out of hand).

I'm afraid the Tokina 11-16 is a little too wide angle for me. Although i do generally shoot landscape, i'd like to buy my new lens with my Japan trip next year taken into account (lots of cities and people)

What about the Tokina AT-X 165 PRO DX AF 16-50mm f/2.8 or the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM? Main reason is for upgrade is to upgrade is too replace my kit lens with a lens that is sharper and faster (good bokeh would be nice as well).

Hammer24

Banned
Best to worst for performance
F2.8 IS -> F2.8 -> F4 IS -> F4

best to worst for price and weight

f4->f4 IS -> f2.8 -> f2.8 IS

so the classic conundrum. I found the 2.8IS much too unwieldy for carrying around all day and using handheld, so I went for an f4 IS. If you're shooting on a tripod I'd go for the 2.8 non-IS.

I agree. As long as you´re sure to shoot from the tripod almost exclusively you wont need the IS anyways (it would even be a hindrance). But don´t go cheap, take the 2.8 over the 4, otherwise you might regret it down the road.

Anyone have good experience with manfrotto heads?
Is there a big difference between a 701 vs 501?
Im looking into getting some real smooth pan and tilt shots for video.
And can i use those heads on any tripod?
Thanks in advance.

dmshaposv

Anyone have good experience with manfrotto heads?
Is there a big difference between a 701 vs 501?
Im looking into getting some real smooth pan and tilt shots for video.
And can i use those heads on any tripod?
Thanks in advance.

If I'm not wrong, 701 actually is a fluid head, with fluid for smooth movements. It doesn't (?) have tilt/drag controls.

501 has tilt/drag control, but doesnt actually have any fluid.

501 is more heavy duty (so more stable and secure), can bear heavier rigs and any camera. 701 is for light-weight camcorders/dslrs.

I use a 501 since I felt it was more future proof, and can give you smooth results, but I guess 701 would be smoother. 502 is the best of both worlds but costs a lot more.

Also, 501 is not much more expensive than 701, so comes across as a better deal.

Sony announcement due tomorrow. What can we expect?

- A99
- RX1
- NEX-6
- New lenses?

Hope they show some cool new features and some kind of roadmap.

If I'm not wrong, 701 actually is a fluid head, with fluid for smooth movements. It doesn't (?) have tilt/drag controls.

501 has tilt/drag control, but doesnt actually have any fluid.

501 is more heavy duty (so more stable and secure), can bear heavier rigs and any camera. 701 is for light-weight camcorders/dslrs.

I use a 501 since I felt it was more future proof, and can give you smooth results, but I guess 701 would be smoother. 502 is the best of both worlds but costs a lot more.
502 It is then! Thank!

Radec

Sony announcement due tomorrow. What can we expect?

- A99
- RX1
- NEX-6
- New lenses

Hope they show some cool new features and some kind of roadmap.

Fixed.

New lenses are almost confirmed:

Sony 300mm f/2.8 G SSM II lens (SAL300f28GII): Nano AR coating, weather sealed, SSM (Super Sonic Wave Motor), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), focus hold button. Price: $7500, to be released in October, 2012.
Sony 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SAM lens (already announced and available for preorder at BHphoto).
Sony E-mount 10-18 f/4 OSS: available in November 2012 for $850.
Sony E-mount 35mm f/1.8 OSS: available in December 2012 for $450.
Sony E-mount 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 OSS (kit lens): available in January 2013 for $350.

-SonyAlpharumors

Forsete

Gold Member
Fixed.

New lenses are almost confirmed:

Sony 300mm f/2.8 G SSM II lens (SAL300f28GII): Nano AR coating, weather sealed, SSM (Super Sonic Wave Motor), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), focus hold button. Price: $7500, to be released in October, 2012.
Sony 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SAM lens (already announced and available for preorder at BHphoto).
Sony E-mount 10-18 f/4 OSS: available in November 2012 for $850.
Sony E-mount 35mm f/1.8 OSS: available in December 2012 for $450.
Sony E-mount 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 OSS (kit lens): available in January 2013 for $350.

-SonyAlpharumors

Nice. Will buy the 2nd lens, might get the 35mm but I already have the 24mm Zeiss so I am not sure if I need it or not. OSS is nice though. :p

Here is the VG900 with the 35mm sensor and the E-mount.

vg900.jpg

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-pictures-of-the-fulll-frame-e-mount-vg-900/

dmshaposv

Sony really pimping that 24mp full frame sensor on everything.

Nikon's inevitable d600 announcement using that sensor wont sound as hot. Well unless they drop the motherload with the price.

Also everyone save your money and dont buy the RX1. Wait till inevitable full frame nex-8/9

Forsete

Gold Member
Sony really pimping that 24mp full frame sensor on everything.

Nikon's inevitable d600 announcement using that sensor wont sound as hot. Well unless they drop the motherload with the price.

Lots of FF love is a bad thing now? :p
I wonder what the performance is. The old 24MP was/is a magnificent sensor, 2nd generation should have improved high ISO at least.

Interesting times! :D

Yoritomo

My new 60D barely fits in my old Lowepro 100 sling bag so I'm looking to upgrade. I typically carry a 24-105mm, 85mm 1.8, and 40mm 2.8 lenses. I'm also planning to get an external flash in the near future.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW – $62
ibfmnGgCWIoD06.jpg
i1mwcKY8f3F2a.jpg

Kata 3-in-1 Medium Sling – $78
iboY8uIfb9i0Co.jpg
ibtJGYCLY5JvLs.jpg

Sony LCS-BP2 – $75
ibiAkQRg4Sy0sc.jpg
ibeOVi3x05TzRH.jpg

I've got one of these

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/829121-REG/Ape_Case_ACPRO1700_ACPRO1700_Digital_SLR_Swing.html

I like it. It has only one main strap though and can get uncomfortable with lots of gear. (Long lens + 3 primes + 2 short zoom lenses + flash). Has an outer pocket to fasten a tripod. Great weather protection if you get caught in the rain.

I had it at seaworld and the retractable cover allowed me to get some shots of the main shamu show while allowing me to stick the camera under the cover right before a big splash.

The biggest problem is that side access is limited and only really gives quick access to a single area of the bag. To get to other lenses you have to take it off.

mclaren777

That bag was originally in my selection pool but it got disqualified because it seemingly doesn't allow you to extract the camera from this position...

ib0TMRfWiBSuM9.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Is there any FF lens announce for this?

Looks like the mount is blocking light going to the corners from this angle.

About the corners of the sensor, I wonder if said possible FF E mount lenses would have to sit much closer than APS-C e mount lenses. Its how Fuji deals with their mirrorless mounts. Its going to be real interesting to see how this mount and sensor ultimately deal with corners.

Anybody else stoked about the D600 announcement tomorrow? Too bad I'm about to spend my money on a motorcycle. I guess I'll need to use my D300 for another year or to.

tino

Banned
About the corners of the sensor, I wonder if said possible FF E mount lenses would have to sit much closer than APS-C e mount lenses. Its how Fuji deals with their mirrorless mounts. Its going to be real interesting to see how this mount and sensor ultimately deal with corners.

The NEX and the Fuji X mount have virtually the same flange distance, somewhere between 19mm to 20mm. Which ever has larger mount diameter will have better support for FF sensor.

dmshaposv

Anybody else stoked about the D600 announcement tomorrow? Too bad I'm about to spend my money on a motorcycle. I guess I'll need to use my D300 for another year or to.

I fuckin am.

Selling my 600d and crop-sensor lenses, and going all in.

I want canon do fight back with a 6D or something, I'm getting nice deals on a complete set of primes that would be super cool for video work (35mm f1.4 Samyang, 50mm f1.4 canon, 100mm macro canon).

What 24/35/50/85 and or 100/135 primes from Nikon would be killer, in case canon don't strike back?

tino

Banned
I just realized there will be 3 FF cameras coming out tomorrow and a potential 4th one by the end of the year. Also two mirrorless bodies with EVF. Holy shit is this the biggest milestone moment in the business since Nikon D3? Or even earlier!

Also iPhone 5 tomorrow too. It will break my internet for sure.

What 24/35/50/85 and or 100/135 primes from Nikon would be killer, in case canon don't strike back?

The Nikon 28mm F/1.8 looks awesome and runs about $700.

The 24mm F/1.4 runs about $2200 (but you get what you pay for)

For fixed 35mm Nikon only has budget and high end lenses.

Get the 50mm F/1.4 for sure (I was lucky enough to use that lens on a D3x once. MAUI WOWIE!)

The 85mm F/1.8 is awesome for a $490 lens. Used to own one, but sold because I don't do much close up portraits.

If I were to get a D600 in the future I would probably sell most of my gear and just get Nikon's new-ish 28-300mm which is extremely good for a full range lens

I just realized there will be 3 FF cameras coming out tomorrow and a potential 4th one by the end of the year. Also two mirrorless bodies with EVF. Holy shit is this the biggest milestone moment in the business since Nikon D3? Or even earlier!

Also iPhone 5 tomorrow too. It will break my internet for sure.

What are the other three rumored full frame cameras besides the D600?

tino

Banned
So the NEX6 is 850. I was $50 off.

And all 3 Sony cameras are out on the Sony website. We still don't get to see the back of the RX1.

Sony RX1
Sony a99
Sony NEX-6

Does anyone understand the RX1 control scheme?

There is the aperture ring, but the is no "A" on the aperture ring. There is an Exp. Comp. dial but no shutter dial. And the focus ring has "0.2-0.35m" "0.3-infinity" mark. It's not linear?

edit: back
img4305-1347409684.jpg

teiresias

Can't wait for the D600 announcement. The latest leak at NikonRumors actually says it WILL have the uncompressed HDMI video output for external capture! Awesome!! I'm getting really excited to go full-frame, though I have no idea what I'll do with my D90. Maybe sell it to a friend at a really great price just to give them a treat.

teiresias

What do you crazy video people capture with?

I've personally never done it, actually, because the D90 video sucks so I've never bothered. However, I'm getting constant requests to put together some kind of "family tree/history" film/documentary consisting of interviews with my rather large extended family. These are becoming more urgent as the extended family ages, so I'm really thinking I might go ahead and do it with a D600 (no rolling shutter issues with stationary interview-style video I'd think).

One device I've read about is the Atomos Ninja, which is basically just an external harddrive that mounts to the hot shoe. Rather pricey, but looks rather easy to use.

http://vimeo.com/20173362

However, I'm on Windows and would have to invest in some kind of video editing software, so it's hardly going to be a cheap thing to do (particularly since I'd essentially just be giving it away to family members - maybe I should make them donate to a Kickstarter, haha!)

dmshaposv

Wow that Sony a99 is quite something, address some of the issues of both d800 and 5dmkIII

1) tiltable screen!!!
2) Movie recording on both SD cards at the same time
3) 1080 60p! but AVCHD.
3) uncompressed HDMI out for 24p and 60p!!

Thats really cool. But how is the sony brand of lens selection?

Fuck, I want that RX1. I am guessing next year we will see an NEX-10 with FF sensor though, bit more flexible with the option to change lenses. Fuck though, that RX1 is mint.

Radec

sonynex6-680x453.jpg

The NEX-6 compact system camera will be available this November in a kit with the SELP1650 power zoom lens for about $1,000. It will also be offered as body-only for about $850.

That's a steal considering I paid like $1400 on my NEX7 kit.

Zyzyxxz

Damn $850... seems like a great deal considering the 5N already had such a great sensor. Can't wait to see what this new one can do. Focus peaking is the main tipping point for me versus getting a Fuji XE-1. Just can't figure out how much manual focus shooting I will do.

NEX-6 is rad, will be good to hear some impressions on the viewfinder as I believe its lower res than the 7? The new lenses are great too, and I can actually justify the price of this over the RX1 :D :D :D The new AF system sounds excellent in the '6 as well.

Seriously considering moving away from my Canon 500D now there are a better selection of lenses for the E-mount.

spats

I just ordered an RX100, I feel poor and weak in the knees right now. Should prove a wonderful traveling companion tough.

God, that RX1 looks amazing. FF in such a tiny body makes me wet. Now I have to work hard to manipulate the missus that we can't live without such a beauty. Guess, it will take about one year and a tax return, I'm estimating. (The viewfinder is ugly as hell though.)

tino

Banned
sonynex6-680x453.jpg

That's a steal considering I paid like $1400 on my NEX7 kit.

I bet the new pancake kit lens is slower (in zooming) and has worse IQ than the normal kit lens. See the Panasonic pancake kit lens.

Its still a very good deal.

Also, all new lens in black now? What about the stupid soda can 50/1.8? Are you going to reissue it in black Sony?

aerts1js

The NEX 6 looks great and I'm tempted. ... I have a nex 5N which takes AMAZING photos but there are times I wish it had a viewfinder.

Does anyone have any experience with the attachable viewfinder for the camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom