• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky77

I am sure we do, but I may have missed it, we have NEX-7 users here? any impressions? lenses available and pricing? is the sensor similar to the one in the Canon 50D in terms of size or 7D?

tino

Banned
Rumored Japanese D600 list price: ¥21500 ($2600) LOL

Sony announce the "developement" of FF Zeiss 50mm/1.4. No mount detail but I assume for both E mount and alpha. Does anyone remember when did Sony announced the "development" of the E24? I want to compare the timelines.

Also the new FF NEX camcorder is basically a new camcorder without any FF lens. Can you actually use the A lens to AF smoothly through the adapter? I am curious.

I am sure we do, but I may have missed it, we have NEX-7 users here? any impressions? lenses available and pricing? is the sensor similar to the one in the Canon 50D in terms of size or 7D?

NEX APSC sensor = 1.5X Canon APSC sensor = 1.6X

Hammer24

Banned
Still no word on pricing and availability of the 200-400L?
With so many spottings in the wild at Olympia I thought we´d had those now. :-/

mclaren777

I love Sony as a company (you might even call me a fanboy) so it's really encouraging to see so many of you supporting the NEX series. Hopefully the camera/imaging division can turn this recent success into major profitability.

Also, it looks like the D600 will probably be $2200-2500 for just the body.

Also also, check out the slick door on the RX1...

RX1normal.gif
RX1slow.gif

D800 on amazon.co.jp runs ¥268200 (~$3450), so yeah, D600 is probably not gonna be less than $2000. I really wanted those $1500 rumors to be true. Time to limit my decision to mirrorless bodies.

centracore

I finally got around to importing another batch of photos from my Panasonic DMC-GX1 and 32GB SDHC memory card that I got back in June and found this near the start:

jx77R.jpg

Shortly after that I noticed the memory card would become very unresponsive when reviewing photos on the camera and I was anywhere close to that particular one. Since had already imported everything I just formatted the memory card using the camera menu and it seems to be working fine so far.

Any ideas what would have caused this in the first place, and should I be worried about it happening again?

I love Sony as a company (you might even call me a fanboy) so it's really encouraging to see so many of you supporting the NEX series. Hopefully the camera/imaging division can turn this recent success into major profitability.

RX1normal.gif
RX1slow.gif

detachable door? Another Sony innovation.

Zyzyxxz

RX1normal.gif
RX1slow.gif

I'll take 10!

slider

I'm a point and click kind of guy even though I have a DSLR (a cheapy Sony one in fact!).

Can someone explain what type of shooter the RX1 is for? I think I understand the portability (always great) but if it's matching the 99's price pretty much are there folk out there who want the sensor and portability and will pay for it? And if so, who are these folk? Pro and semi-pro photographers?

As I said photography is a bit of a mystery to me...

EDIT: Man, I even remember asking about buying a Nex as a gift for a good friend of mine in this very thread. I should read it more often...

dmshaposv

So d600 is $2600? Looks like 5d mk ii for me.

HarrisonfordWellwhogivesashit.gif

Im just gonna stick to canon (even if they are the priciest of the bunch) Their glass and autofocus system I prefer anyway.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Is Sigma 19mm for Nex good? I consider it as a replacement for 16 mm Sony pancake - it's that awful and I still need a wide-angle lens with autofocus.

Is Sigma 19mm for Nex good? I consider it as a replacement for 16 mm Sony pancake - it's that awful and I still need a wide-angle lens with autofocus.

It's light, it's very sharp, the color's great, and its manual focus feels nice. But it's plastic-fantastic and its autofocus motor is VERY slow to start up when you turn on the camera or when you switch to shoot mode out of review mode. Like, expect it to add an extra two seconds in each of those cases.

tino

Banned
I'm a point and click kind of guy even though I have a DSLR (a cheapy Sony one in fact!).

Can someone explain what type of shooter the RX1 is for? I think I understand the portability (always great) but if it's matching the 99's price pretty much are there folk out there who want the sensor and portability and will pay for it? And if so, who are these folk? Pro and semi-pro photographers?

As I said photography is a bit of a mystery to me...

EDIT: Man, I even remember asking about buying a Nex as a gift for a good friend of mine in this very thread. I should read it more often...

Sony suit: So we have this new FF sensor that is going to make us a lot of money. More so than the DSLR we make

Katz: Great! Put it on everything! Sell it to everybody!

Sony Droid: Yes master. I have this new camcorder we are working on. And we have sold the sensor to Nikon...

Katz: Put it on everything! Put it on a NEX camera.

Sony Droid: But but but we don't have any FF NEX lens. Those Germans take forever to design a new lens for us...

Katz: I have an idea, put it on a Point and Shoot.

Sony Droid: That... is not a bad idea. Fuji X100 is very popular. We can put shutter and aperture rings on it, put the new EVF from NEX6 in it, and make it look old school looking. I bet we can get some Leica guys to jump ship

Katz: Nar, don't bother. Those old geezers are not cool. Give it to the P&S team. We are going to market it to the young dotcom millionaires.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hilariously Zeiss takes months to release their own lenses that they've already released! Getting the phenomenal 15/2.8 ZE/ZF is impossible and people have been waiting months to get their orders. That special Zeiss glass. It takes time reducing the tears of infants down into salt and then melting enough of the minerals into glass.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It's light, it's very sharp, the color's great, and its manual focus feels nice. But it's plastic-fantastic and its autofocus motor is VERY slow to start up when you turn on the camera or when you switch to shoot mode out of review mode. Like, expect it to add an extra two seconds in each of those cases.

nice, gonna buy

East Lake

Rich dudes browsing the fred miranda forums. They should have made it more like the Contax G2 less like the watered down mirrorless cameras we're getting now. Nobody has figured it out yet.

Sinistral

Let the Full Frame Wars begin!

That D600 is looking mighty attractive. I've been wanting to get into the Full Frame scene for a while. While my friends all are Canon guys (Videographers), I'm more interested in other areas, with a very light use of video.

Flo_Evans

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/0...with-39-point-af-and-uncompressed-1080p-video

$2,099

No AF mode/metering mode switches on the back? I guess that's like the D700. I miss my D200, if only for the build and controls.

Different battery grip than the D7000 MB-D11 I already have :(

any info on live view video mode?

real time audio level monitoring? Histogram? Or at least an exposure meter? I assume it can adjust aperture like the D800 now... but what about fine tune?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok camera-gaf, I'm going on a trip to California next week and I want to upgrade my cheap cam to something decent. I'm looking for the best combination of picture quality and compact size, and I'm considering the Fuji X10 or Sony NEX5. Right now I'd give the X10 the edge because of its size and price. Would it be a good choice for a travel cam? Consider I'm a beginner and just want to take good pics with minimal effort. I also really like the look of it, I had to resist impulse buying it when I saw it in the store just now

Forsete

Gold Member
On the NEX7.

This only have DUAL-NAVI. :p

But you get a PASM dial.

Pretty lame not including tri-nav. :/
I already have a 7 so I'm not that upset but it is a missed opportunity.

PASM-dial is nice. On my 7 I have it set up so a right click on the back controller displays the wheel and I can quickly select which mode I want to be in. Mostly A for photography and S for video. :p

Pretty lame not including tri-nav. :/
I already have a 7 so I'm not that upset but it is a missed opportunity.

PASM-dial is nice. On my 7 I have it set up so a right click on the back controller displays the wheel and I can quickly select which mode I want to be in. Mostly A for photography and S for video. :p

If they included tri-nav it would be absolutely pointless to spend the $350 additional on the 7 since the 6 seems to be superior in just about every other way. Bi-nav it is!!

I just wish the 6 had a touchscreen. I never remember to use the touchscreen to focus on my 5N, but it would probably would have helped me nail focus on a ton of thin DOF shots where I would focus lock and then recompose.

Forsete

Gold Member
If they included tri-nav it would be absolutely pointless to spend the $350 additional on the 7 since the 6 seems to be superior in just about every other way. Bi-nav it is!!

I just wish the 6 had a touchscreen. I never remember to use the touchscreen to focus on my 5N, but it would probably would have helped me nail focus on a ton of thin DOF shots where I would focus lock and then recompose.

Another plus for the NEX7 expect its sensor.
+iISO! :p

Ok camera-gaf, I'm going on a trip to California next week and I want to upgrade my cheap cam to something decent. I'm looking for the best combination of picture quality and compact size, and I'm considering the Fuji X10 or Sony NEX5. Right now I'd give the X10 the edge because of its size and price. Would it be a good choice for a travel cam? Consider I'm a beginner and just want to take good pics with minimal effort. I also really like the look of it, I had to resist impulse buying it when I saw it in the store just now

Doesnt sound like you want or are interested in interchangeable lenses right?

Do you think you will in the future?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hi Camera GAF -

Last Christmas, I bought my fiancee a camera. I'm 99% sure it was a Panasonic GF3 (sold to me by tino actually - thanks again!). Well, she's getting to the point where she REALLY wants a new lens. She wants one that has SIGNIFICANTLY higher zoom than the one that came stock with the camera. She's in another state for a clinical right now, so I don't have access to the camera at the moment, but I can get the data on the lens at some point if need be.

Any suggestions/tips on picking out a new high-zoom lens?

tino

Banned

I would get the X10. N5 is more capable but demands more user input and control. Plus the zoom is bigger.

If you want to learn however, get the N5.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Doesnt sound like you want or are interested in interchangeable lenses right?

Do you think you will in the future?

At this time : no, I'm not. However, I go on press trips from time to time and after each one I feel a bigger desire to take better pictures. So I won't rule out that at some point I'd want to get into it for real. For future-proofing, I guess I'd be better of with the Sony...

At this time : no, I'm not. However, I go on press trips from time to time and after each one I feel a bigger desire to take better pictures. So I won't rule out that at some point I'd want to get into it for real. For future-proofing, I guess I'd be better of with the Sony...

Dont think too much about the far future though, by that time the Landscape will be very different and everything will be cheaper.

What do you actually need in the next year, you think you would rather have a small body and automatic functions? then get the X10.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
are there any pitfalls for using nikon AI lenses on canon EOS EF cameras?

None at all other than the typical issues when using manual lenses. You'll need to stop down the lenses manually, it'll darken the viewfinder considerably by f8, manual focusing at landscape distances (infinity) can be tough from the viewfinder. For critical focusing Live View is needed. Other than that you can get some amazing AI lenses for relatively cheap prices.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I would get the X10. N5 is more capable but demands more user input and control. Plus the zoom is bigger.

If you want to learn however, get the N5.

Dont think too much about the far future though, by that time the Landscape will be very different and everything will be cheaper.

What do you actually need in the next year, you think you would rather have a small body and automatic functions? then get the X10.

Thanks for the help guys. Getting the X10 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom