• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmshaposv

Dude, i was getting a Mark II for $1550 last week.

It sucks i didnt pull the trigger, its gone im sure. I was hoping for a $1500 nikon d600.

I want to get the 6d, i got some nice canon glass, but its basically sounding like 5dmkII with a sub 7d autofocus system and even shittier continous shooting. No one gives a fuck about gps, and wifi shouldve been even in mkiii by default.

At least give compact flash support, or thats another fail as canon isnt going to give two sd slots like nikon.

The only reason for me to get the 6d over a much cheaper 5dmkii would be if it offered a tiltable screen. Im sure theyll add the useless touchscreen instead. Lol canon.

centracore

So, I think I am going to be jumping ship from the Micro Four Thirds format before I get too invested in it. I'm thinking I will pick up a Nikon D7000 w/ 35mm f/1.8 lens to start, I like the fact that any lenses I buy will be useful and usable for years and years to come whereas I don't know if that's the case with Micro Four Thirds.

That being said, where would you guys recommend trying to sell my current equipment? I am very hesitant to turn to eBay after reading some of the horror stories on here.

I don't believe it. It's probably a scam. 5D2 is too popular a model to have crazy pricing.

scam or not. amazon heavily protects buyers.
no risk on my part as amazon would easily reimburse me.
should've pulled the trigger :/

That being said, where would you guys recommend trying to sell my current equipment? I am very hesitant to turn to eBay after reading some of the horror stories on here.
craigslist.
sell high, buyer will low ball you. meet in the middle.
also, meet in public places.

tino

Banned
No, I'd be cool with it too. Still very capable for many more years to come. It's just that it came out 4 years ago so I want the price to be closer to the 1000 mark.
Its not going to happen. For 700, you can get a decent shape 5D1. :)

Whats your lens plan btw. Once you figure out the lens cost, it makes sense to spend more on the body.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Am I crazy for replacing my stolen D60 with a NEX-5R. Honestly I need something portable with a pick. Nex seems like the way to go.

Nope, I think you'll love it. Only jarring thing for me and my 5N is not being able to use a viewfinder. Im the type of person that is very exact with composing, doing this with the LCD feels a bit awkard since it feels like the scene extends outside the LCD. I plan on getting the EVF soon.

Other than that I feel like I can take my NEX anywhere without it being bothersome.

giga

Whats your lens plan btw. Once you figure out the lens cost, it makes sense to spend more on the body.
Only have one aps-c lens: the sigma 30. I'd probably replace it with the sigma 50, since the canon 50 1.4 is so blah.

dmshaposv

If i could afford a 5D Mark III, id buy only three lenses and I'd be set:

Rokinon/samyang: 35mm f1.4
Bokeh monster, manual focus and great for video. Muccch cheaper and optically comprable to canon's own 35mm

Canon 50mm f 1.4
My everyday lens, autofocus included and while not as sharp as 50mm f1.2, half the price. Heck id be able to stop down to f2 or f2.8 where its tack sharp thanks to mkiiis insane iso performance.

Canon 100mm macro non-is

My potrait/space compression/MACRO lens.

Would not have to waste money on any expensive L Glass as these medium performance lenses combined with mkiiis iso performance would give better results.

I love my lens plan, but i have a big flaw - i cant afford the mkiii lol.

tino

Banned
Only have one aps-c lens: the sigma 30. I'd probably replace it with the sigma 50, since the canon 50 1.4 is so blah.

If you do get a FF body, its going to be very easy to MF on a FF finder. IMO the old MF 50mm lens are way cheaper than the Sigma. You can easier get a FF 28/50/85 hobo kit for next to nothing. You can spend the rest of the money on zooms, or superwide.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Would not have to waste money on any expensive L Glass as these medium performance lenses combined with mkiiis iso performance would give better results.

Well, L lenses aren't just faster, they have higher IQ in general. Especially with that high resolution the MkIII produces, the L lenses definitely aren't a waste of money. Obviously it's up to the individual whether the cost of L lenses is worth the boost in image quality, but it's not as if L lenses are useless besides their wider apertures.

giga

If you do get a FF bosy, its going to be very easy to MF on a FF finder. IMO the old MF 50mm lens are way cheaper than the Sigma. You can easier get a FF 28/50/85 hobo kit for next to nothing. You can spend the rest of the money on zooms, or superwide.
Hm, idk. The 50mm equivalent (sigma 30 on aps-c) is my walkaround so AF for me is really critical there. If the zeiss 50/1.4 had AF I would be in heaven. (9 freaking aperture blades!!) It's so similar to the canon 50L yet at half the price.

If I was to consider MF, I would do it with a wide angle for landscapes. What are some cheap FF wide angle primes?

If I was to consider MF, I would do it with a wide angle for landscapes. What are some cheap FF wide angle primes?

Check out the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 and 24mm f/1.4 if you want ultimate affordable performance at the expense of large size and plastic body.

For inexpensive legacy MF primes, check out old Nikkors and Olympus OM lenses.

dmshaposv

Well, L lenses aren't just faster, they have higher IQ in general. Especially with that high resolution the MkIII produces, the L lenses definitely aren't a waste of money. Obviously it's up to the individual whether the cost of L lenses is worth the boost in image quality, but it's not as if L lenses are useless besides their wider apertures.

Yeah, but the lenses I have suggested (after month and months of researching) have exceptional image quality.

The samyang/rokinon 35mm f1.4 looks as good, if not better than the canon 35mm f1.4 in terms of IQ. It costs quarter as much, but its only downside is manual focus only. This isnt bad at all for video and if you have a follow focus system (I do) where you can mark your focus. The Lens also has a nice focus ring with lots a travel.

The 50mm f1.4 is the best bang for buck. Sure it isn't as sharp as 50mm f1.2 (which is INSANELY sharp in stills and video) but good lord I have to sell have my bodily organs to buy that lens. With MKIII allowing me higher ISO options, I can stop down the 1.4 to 2.8 where the sharpness of this lens is comparable to the 1.2 (as per digital-picture.com, dpreview and digitalrev analysis). Sure the bokeh wont be as good, but you can't get everything! But its not like it's easy to focus at f1.2 anyway.

The 100mm non-macro was the only thing I was confused about (as you wouldve noticed a few pages back). But at the end of the day the 100mm L and non-L have same optical quality and the only major difference is the Image stabiliziation - which becomes irrelevant if you are using a tripod anyway. For macro you need to use it.

The point of camera bodies like 5DMkIII that have great noise performance, is that we can finally use higher isos and thus stop down our lenses. Even crappy lenses become sharper when stopped down, and the ones I've suggested are "gems" suggested by top videographers (philip bloom) and photographers (ken rockwell) as being better alternatives to their "L" counterparts.

Check out the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 and 24mm f/1.4 if you want ultimate affordable performance at the expense of large size and plastic body.

I can vouch for the 35mm f1.4. That thing is a BOKEH MONSTER. Its IQ is actually as good as canon 35mm f1.4 and the color rendition even better. Its only flaw is no autofocus.

I have just bought this lens and love it already!

tino

Banned
Hm, idk. The 50mm equivalent (sigma 30 on aps-c) is my walkaround so AF for me is really critical there. If the zeiss 50/1.4 had AF I would be in heaven. (9 freaking aperture blades!!) It's so similar to the canon 50L yet at half the price.

Well its your money. Personally I don't like Sigma's greenish color. Plus its huge. I don't like the bokeh of the Zeiss either. But hey its the only affordable zeiss.

For wide lens you will find many cheap 28mm MF from all mounts. The 24mm are usually around $200. I would get the Nikon 24/2.8 AIS. And anything wider they are not as good as the modern wide zooms. If you are fan of the Tokina 11-16, you can check out the full frame Tokina 16-28/2.8.

Kenka

Hi,
So I got to test my Nikon in real conditions. This is my first presentation whatsoever in any thing related to camera equipment. So please bear with me.

Conditions:
  • enlighted indoor (Zürich Hauptbahnhof)
  • moderately enlighted exterior (Zürich by night basically)
  • I have used default settings and simply croped the pictures in Paint.

The results:

• Light-emitting object with dark background bathed in ambient light
ieySV.jpg

• Objects of various sizes and colors behind a glass in ambient light

• Depth of field

• Night outdoor with public lights

• Mix of colors

• Light-emitting object outdoor at night shot from 3 meters distance

Overall, I am satisfied. EviLore's food pictures in his journey thread kinda spoilt me but he reassured me, and said that he uses post-processing technics to make his pictures look more appealing. I will learn these technics and make better use of the camera's settings hopefully and I'll be back with daylight shots.

I love my Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S. It was introduced in 1981 and Nikon still makes and sells it today. I got mine used for a lark and will never get rid of it.

BlueTsunami

I love my Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S. It was introduced in 1981 and Nikon still makes and sells it today. I got mine used for a lark and will never get rid of it.

Nikons two 28mm MF lenses are great. I personally owned the 28/2 AI and loved the contrast from that lens. Commendable performance at f2. A little glowy but still sharp.

dmshaposv

Because most of us prefer SD?

While SDs are better and dont have pin bending problems, I've noticed CompactFlashes are written faster to on Canon's cameras.

A friend who has the MkIII has both a 64GB CF and SD card, and claims the CF is better for continuous bursts (buffer) and recording/transferring video to and from computers. Even though theoretically the transfer rates are the same (90 MB/s or something). There is also that UDMA 7 support that the MKIII has only, for the newer cards (off canon's line).

This is more Canon's problem than the format itself, I suppose.

tino

Banned
While SDs are better and dont have pin bending problems, I've noticed CompactFlashes are written faster to on Canon's cameras.

A friend who has the MkIII has both a 64GB CF and SD card, and claims the CF is better for continuous bursts (buffer) and recording/transferring video to and from computers. Even though theoretically the transfer rates are the same (90 MB/s or something). There is also that UDMA 7 support that the MKIII has only, for the newer cards (off canon's line).

This is more Canon's problem than the format itself, I suppose.

Bend pins. CF has bad physically interface.

dmshaposv

Yeah, I personally prefer SD cards too.

Nothing beats the convenience of sticking your memory card directly into your laptop vs. hooking up with a wire.

But, I am just relaying some of the reasons others prefer the CF format. Though transfer rates are the same (as per what is written on the cards), people say CFs perform better. *shrugs*

tino

Banned
So the Fuji XF1 actually has X10's 2/3" sensor in a smaller package.

That's very impressive

Fuji-compact-camera-XP1.jpeg

Fujifilm-XF1-or-XP1-compact-camera.jpg

The Fujifilm XF1 compact camera (see press release and specs) will probably be announced on Monday, September 17th. The lens will have 7 elements in 6 groups, 4 aspherical surfaces and 3 ED elements. The sensor size is 2/3" (from the X10). The XF1 will be available in three different colors. The lens is 25-100mm f/1.8-4.9. The LCD display is 3 in. 460k dots.

So this will compete with Canon S100/110 series directly and has a larger sensor. It's also more pocketable than the X10. The design of it is probably "too" retro for my taste, but whatever.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I bought the Fuji X10 yesterday. Took a few test pics today : 1 2 3

Like I said, I'm a beginner and I just point and shoot. If there are basic or important settings I need to consider, please share. Compared to my previous cam, the difference is insane. Very pleased so far.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Like I said, I'm a beginner and I just point and shoot. If there are basic or important settings I need to consider, please share. Compared to my previous cam, the difference is insane. Very pleased so far.

OMG you have a cavalier king charles spaniel. I used to have one years ago. Lovely dog. :)

tino

Banned

X10 still has the EXT mode right. Whenever you don't have enough light (indoor, after dust), put it in the EXT mode and let it do the heavy lifting for you. In day time, set to correct temperature (sunny, cloudy, etc) play around with different film modes. Just enjoy it for now.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I love my x10. Love it.

I shot a 5Dmkii for a feature length film in college. I shot a 1D/2D in high school, along with film. And I've owned a 30D, 40D, and Nikon D90.

After using the x10 for over a month, I just sold my D90. The x10 gives me great shots, and because of it's small package, it,s perfect for travel, street photography, and candid shots - 3/4 of the things that matter most to me (rain being the fourth). Fuji's jpeg engine is just top-notch, and the super macro mode is incredible considering the cam's price.

I think I'll eventually end up getting an x-pro 1 to replace my now lack of a full size DSLR.

So, I just picked up a rebel g with the 35-80mm III lens for about $25 at a thrift store. I was wondering if anyone had done the mod to make it into a Macro and if they liked what it produced after.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
OMG you have a cavalier king charles spaniel. I used to have one years ago. Lovely dog. :)

Yeah it's a great dog :)

X10 still has the EXT mode right. Whenever you don't have enough light (indoor, after dust), put it in the EXT mode and let it do the heavy lifting for you. In day time, set to correct temperature (sunny, cloudy, etc) play around with different film modes. Just enjoy it for now.

I will, thanks.

Alright, I did the mod. It was surprisingly easy. The only iffy part was when I took a hammer to the glued in front element. I need to get a clear filter to screw on the front to protect the interior element, but now I have a cheapo killer Macro.

mrkgoo

Dude, i was getting a Mark II for $1550 last week.

It sucks i didnt pull the trigger, its gone im sure. I was hoping for a $1500 nikon d600.

I want to get the 6d, i got some nice canon glass, but its basically sounding like 5dmkII with a sub 7d autofocus system and even shittier continous shooting. No one gives a fuck about gps, and wifi shouldve been even in mkiii by default.

At least give compact flash support, or thats another fail as canon isnt going to give two sd slots like nikon.

The only reason for me to get the 6d over a much cheaper 5dmkii would be if it offered a tiltable screen. Im sure theyll add the useless touchscreen instead. Lol canon.

I'm just going to chime in and say that the touchscreen isn't as useless as you think.

It's kind of like some other 'consuner' features that canon added to their dSLRs that seasoned complainers on the internet like to deride for sullying their pure camera, but actually turned out nice.

For example:

Live view: people hated it because they said noones going to hold up their slr arms outstretched. But as it turned out live view was hugely useful for tripod shooting, getting 1:1 view of your focus, and for holding your camera at higher it lower angles.

Movie: the popularity and quality of the recording in the 5dmkii hanged canon's direction entirely.

Swivel screen: like live view it just enabled a few more options for yor viewpoint.

They dont radically change the camera but adds some functionality, even if minor.

My sister just got two 650ds (t4i). The touch screen is actually pretty well implemented. It's capacitive an operates like an iPhone, though it's less sensitive an not quite 1:1. You do have scrolling and pinch to zoom.

But it's just really easy to make a couple taps and change settings very quickly. Zooming in on pics is fast. A nice feature is in live view you activate a tap to focus and release shutter. On tripod it means you can tap ereto take a pic of that unfocused and quickly take another one with a different focus. Off the touch screen, you'd have to push a button and select a new focus point, refocus and shoot.

Heaven forbid our cameras get easier to use.

I for one, think the feature is very cool and thoughtfully implemented thus far. I hope it winds up in all camera models and it gives me higher hopes for the usability of the eos M.

dmshaposv

Im not against the touchscreen - im waiting for the day when I can use the touchscreen on my dslr during video mode as a follow focus using my fingers - the potential for that'd be KILLER.

My gripe is the current implementation is Lackluster, and canon most likely will try to tout that by gimping on other more useful features like continous burst or AF points (going by current specs).

I saw a video a few pages back (this or film/vid thread) where the tap to focus is ATROCIOUSLY slow. It also means you need a tripod or rig in order to fiddle the screen with one free hand.

Canon will obviously progress with the touchscreen and they will reach a point where it will be awesome and responsive and will be excellent for focusing for both stills and video. But if they didnt bring this feature yet to their pro cameras, it means they are still testing and are a long ways from an implementation that could be considered killer.

mrkgoo

Im not against the touchscreen - im waiting for the day when I can use the touchscreen on my dslr during video mode as a follow focus using my fingers - the potential for that'd be KILLER.

My gripe is the current implementation is Lackluster, and canon most likely will try to tout that by gimping on other more useful features like continous burst or AF points (going by current specs).

I saw a video a few pages back (this or film/vid thread) where the tap to focus is ATROCIOUSLY slow. It also means you need a tripod or rig in order to fiddle the screen with one free hand.

Canon will obviously progress with the touchscreen and they will reach a point where it will be awesome and responsive and will be excellent for focusing for both stills and video. But if they didnt bring this feature yet to their pro cameras, it means they are still testing and are a long ways from an implementation that could be considered killer.

It is to focus, but live view is always a bit kinda iffy. I still think it's a step in the right direction. I'm not sure it,s really taking away other features. I think the implementation isn't killer as you say, but is far from useless. For the higher cameras and users, I will say it's perhaps less valuable, but increasing accessibility is a good thing, even if incrememental.

BlueTsunami

Touch to magnify is what I love about the NEX5N. I compose first and then touch the area I want to magnify, tweak the focus and press the shutter button completely to take the photo quickly or half press to get out of the magnification mode. This way of shooting allows you to move between critical focusing and composing rather quickly.

tino

Banned
Have anyone done up a comparo between the D600 and the rumored spec of 6D?

If I don't have emotional tie to either brand and I have a few grand burning in my pocket its going to be really hard to pick between these two. Picking between NEX-6 and X E-1 is hard as it is.

giga

Have anyone done up a comparo between the D600 and the rumored spec of 6D?

If I don't have emotional tie to either brand and I have a few grand burning in my pocket its going to be really hard to pick between these two. Picking between NEX-6 and X E-1 is hard as it is.
D600 will have more AF points and faster continuous shooting. Otherwise, both should be similar and you should base your purchase on what system you're already invested in or the lenses you prefer.

MRORANGE

Isn't the only negative of the d600 is that it uses the same AF as the d7000 which is DX so all the AF points will be in the centre. Other than that it's a brilliant camera, too bad it's way to expensive in the UK, would make more sense to get a D800 over here :|

centracore

Is now a good time to buy a D7000 or is there anything on the horizon I should be waiting for? Also I was thinking of getting the 35mm f/1.8 prime, should I get the body only or go for the kit?

Zyzyxxz

Is now a good time to buy a D7000 or is there anything on the horizon I should be waiting for? Also I was thinking of getting the 35mm f/1.8 prime, should I get the body only or go for the kit?

D7100? Honestly I never cared for the kit lens though, I used the 35mm f/1.8 on my D90 for almost the entire time I owned it. Great and awesome lens for the money.

dmshaposv

5DMKIII is better than d800 for my needs - better ISO performance in vid, silent mode, audio control while recording. Clean HDMI isnt as important for me.

d600 and 6d (going by specs) is easily looking like a big win for nikon. Unless Canon put the 5DMKIII sensor in the 6d and the same vid features. Otherwise it really seems like a souped up 2012-ready 5DmkII.

I'll have to wait for impressions, as specs don't matter as was the case of the bigger full frame brothers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom