• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAF HELP!!!

I was going to get a NEX-5R to replace my stolen Canon 60D. However, everyone seems to be gushing over the NEX-6. I admit having a viewfinder would be amazing. Is it worth the price bump.

Also, why the is the NEX-6 shipping with a 15-50 instead of a 17-55? What is the IQ difference in the lenses?

GAF HELP!!!

I was going to get a NEX-5R to replace my stolen Canon 60D. However, everyone seems to be gushing over the NEX-6. I admit having a viewfinder would be amazing. Is it worth the price bump.

Also, why the is the NEX-6 shipping with a 15-50 instead of a 17-55? What is the IQ difference in the lenses?

The EVF is definitely worth the price bump. You lose some functionality over the external EVF (cannot pivot it upwards 90 degrees), but that's the price you pay for a sleeker overall package. It's shipping with the new pancake power-zoom instead of the old 18-55mm because Sony is trying to pin it as the new E-mount kit lens. I haven't seen too many good shots from the new zoom lens yet, but it doesn't look like it will beat the old kit lens on IQ.

It seems like journalists are being forced to play their cards close to their chest because we still haven't seen good video or feedback of the new hybrid-AF system either. I'm looking to replace my 5N+EVF with a 6, but still not 100% sure. At least I have until probably December to cancel my Amazon preorder.

Radec

GAF HELP!!!

Seems like the NEX6 is a steup over the 5R in almost all areas except the touchscreen. So who wouldn't want that.

The 16-50mm is the new kit lens and its a much better and smaller one.

bodylens.jpg

The size of the 18-55 is that long, and the 16-50 is like the pancake 16mm when not in use.

The EVF is definitely worth the price bump. You lose some functionality over the external EVF (cannot pivot it upwards 90 degrees), but that's the price you pay for a sleeker overall package. It's shipping with the new pancake power-zoom instead of the old 18-55mm because Sony is trying to pin it as the new E-mount kit lens. I haven't seen too many good shots from the new zoom lens yet, but it doesn't look like it will beat the old kit lens on IQ.

It seems like journalists are being forced to play their cards close to their chest because we still haven't seen good video or feedback of the new hybrid-AF system either. I'm looking to replace my 5N+EVF with a 6, but still not 100% sure. At least I have until probably December to cancel my Amazon preorder.

So should I just order the body and a fixed prime? Is the IQ of the new kit lens going to be that much worse?

giga

Is there a benefit to using Adobe rgb over srgb if you use raw?
Color space has no effect on the raw file. Raw is just sensor data. When you export the raw to an editor like Photoshop is when you should use a large color space so nothing gets clipped. (I use ProPhoto) When you export that edited file for viewing on the web is when you should use sRGB.

So should I just order the body and a fixed prime? Is the IQ of the new kit lens going to be that much worse?

I don't think the IQ will be noticeably worse. Arguably it will be better overall due to its compact size, and the fact that power-zoom will be nice if you plan on shooting video. The problem with body-only is that you probably aren't going to be able to find any decent lens for the $150 price differential from the kit; certainly not one with the same amount of functionality. It's kind of a no-brainer purchase even if its IQ isn't amazing.

sneaky77

Color space has no effect on the raw file. Raw is just sensor data. When you export the raw to an editor like Photoshop is when you should use a large color space so nothing gets clipped. (I use ProPhoto) When you export that edited file for viewing on the web is when you should use sRGB.
I think that's how I have lightroom configured but ill double check. Thanks for the info

Welp, I just pulled the trigger and picked up a barely-used NEX-7 off Craigslist.

I'm still a little wary of its support of rangefinder wides, but I have the E 19mm already, and if I absolutely can't make the thing for me, I can turn it around without too much trouble.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Color Efex and Silver Efex are my go to plugins. Hope they don't mess with the 'professional' side and just use their tech to build shitty social touch photo editing apps.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The M-E could be real interesting. If its just a barebones rangefinder body without all the electronic fixings but with the same M sensor.

Edit: the M-E is a rebadged M9? Hmmmm

KC7CD.jpg

That's a fine-looking lens. It's not every day that a new (premium!) lens in the general-purpose range gets announced, for any mount. This will probably have the same nice manual focus as the 12mm.

That looks amazing and I'll finally have a replacement for the slow-focusing Panny 20mm. Hopefully, it will cost less than the 12mm considering, but considering the snap focus and likely quality, I'm imagining it will be pricey.

I'm not sure what Panasonic and Olympus are doing, but they're announcements have been underwhelming considering the market share and micro 4/3 name recognition. The 60mm weather-sealed macro looks amazing at $499 and the lens cap looks interesting for $80, but everything else announced has had absurd price premiums or their not going to be released until 2014. The 42.5mm (85mm-equivalent) f/1.2 with OIS sounds amazing but why talk about it when it won't be out for over a year?!

They're still acting like Fuji, and especially Sony, haven't had a huge affect on the mirror less front. The new E-PM models are actually going to be $100 more than the last batch! What the heck.

Futureman

6D looks like a rebadged 5DII w/ some new features that will eventually trickle out to all models. I'm assuming the 5DII is discontinued now? I think Canon wanted to keep selling the II, but it made sense to give it a minor update and freshen it up as the 6D.

I don't get the new E-PM/E-PL models. They had a good thing with how different the E-PM1 looked, and the new one just looks like a regular E-Px (whose design, frankly, I'm not a fan of - they look like Chryslers).

Now, pair that 17/1.8 with whatever the newest soap-bar m4/3 body is when it comes out, and you could have the closest thing to a digital Contax T2 this side of an RX1.

tino

Banned
Holy shit at the new Hasselbald mirrorless system rumor.

I wonder if its FF or larger 0.8X sensor like the Leica S2?

Also, who makes the glass. Fuji?

Man Pentax is really the last man standing without a FF body with a Sony 24mp sensor inside. Oh and Samsung. :)

dmshaposv

If anything, this "full frame" revolution will bring down Leica to earth and they'll start pricing cameras at prices that don't involve selling half your bodily organs and soul.

Gotta give a major Kudos to Fuji and Sony for this! Fuji for making very attractive Leica "rival" cameras and Sony to bring the full frame sensor on a point and shoot body (of course even the NEX cameras too)

Anyway, I'm putting all my Canon gear up for sale. If someone buys it, I can fund my d600. Will be hardest to sell those CF cards though.

Its funny I move from 600d to d600. Poetry.

If anything, this "full frame" revolution will bring down Leica to earth and they'll start pricing cameras at prices that don't involve selling half your bodily organs and soul.

Gotta give a major Kudos to Fuji and Sony for this! Fuji for making very attractive Leica "rival" cameras and Sony to bring the full frame sensor on a point and shoot body (of course even the NEX cameras too)

Anyway, I'm putting all my Canon gear up for sale. If someone buys it, I can fund my d600. Will be hardest to sell those CF cards though.

Its funny I move from 600d to d600. Poetry.

Check out Steve Huff. The new Leica M has been announced and it seems pretty nice. There's a on of improvements and changes and thy haven't raised the price from M9; they must have been expecting some full frame pressure.

That looks amazing and I'll finally have a replacement for the slow-focusing Panny 20mm. Hopefully, it will cost less than the 12mm considering, but considering the snap focus and likely quality, I'm imagining it will be pricey.

I'm not sure what Panasonic and Olympus are doing, but they're announcements have been underwhelming considering the market share and micro 4/3 name recognition. The 60mm weather-sealed macro looks amazing at $499 and the lens cap looks interesting for $80, but everything else announced has had absurd price premiums or their not going to be released until 2014. The 42.5mm (85mm-equivalent) f/1.2 with OIS sounds amazing but why talk about it when it won't be out for over a year?!

They're still acting like Fuji, and especially Sony, haven't had a huge affect on the mirror less front. The new E-PM models are actually going to be $100 more than the last batch! What the heck.

Yeah, I don't quite understand what's going on with the 17mm...it wasn't "announced", but they said they were developing it? Huh? Looks like a nice lens though. I'm generally happy with the image quality and focus speed of the Oly 14-42- I got it instead of the 12-50 with my OM-D because of the smaller size. A fast prime would be nice with it for lower light though, and I like the 35mm equivalent focal length.

KC7CD.jpg

That's a fine-looking lens. It's not every day that a new (premium!) lens in the general-purpose range gets announced, for any mount. This will probably have the same nice manual focus as the 12mm.

the 12mm still looks better, somehow.

Anyway, I'm amazed Panasonic didn't come up with this lens before. One of the most useful focal ranges only available with the notorious Zuiko pancake and the uber-expensive Voightländer, there was a clear demand for something inbetween in IQ, speed and price. I'm interested. 14mm is too wide for me and 20mm is often too narrow.

The 60mm macro prime is also tempting.

Guys, I got a little taste of photography from a friend here at university, and now I really want a camera of my own. I can afford probably ~$350 Canadian. Preferably something that takes decent outdoor/nature shots and the occasional movement shot. Vague requirements, I know, but cameras are pretty new to me.

Thanks in advance.

AVclub

So psyched! I got a really good deal from a friend on a Canon 50D with a handful of batteries, battery grip, bag, and a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens. I'm new to DSLRs but trying to really get a good all-around kit put together for shooting mostly people in group situations and for individual modelling shoots outdoors. I'd like to know if anyone has recommendations for what's critical. I've read recommendations for the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM prime lens. I'm told that a speedlight with collapsible lightsphere is good to have.

Any thoughts?

Guys, I got a little taste of photography from a friend here at university, and now I really want a camera of my own. I can afford probably ~$350 Canadian. Preferably something that takes decent outdoor/nature shots and the occasional movement shot. Vague requirements, I know, but cameras are pretty new to me.

Thanks in advance.

Highly rated enthusiast compacts in your price range:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WJR69E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HO59LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, get a cheap mirrorless camera and have the option to buy more lenses in the future as you progress in photography.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035LBRJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HO59M4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MPSING/?tag=neogaf0e-20

MRORANGE

Are the Eye-Fi SD cards good? I was wondering if they will work wit a wifi enabled ipad/phone as a back up repositery for photo's I managed to fill up my camera at the Olympic parade, ended up deleting photo's of my sis's birthday.

PS: I love my 45mm f2.8 nikkor, it's so tiny but it really produces some very sharp pictures.

Highly rated enthusiast compacts in your price range:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WJR69E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HO59LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, get a cheap mirrorless camera and have the option to buy more lenses in the future as you progress in photography.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035LBRJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HO59M4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MPSING/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks for the recommendations.

I was just at a store at the mall, and this guy caught my eye...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073HSH8U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's on sale for $359 right now.

Zyzyxxz

So psyched! I got a really good deal from a friend on a Canon 50D with a handful of batteries, battery grip, bag, and a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens. I'm new to DSLRs but trying to really get a good all-around kit put together for shooting mostly people in group situations and for individual modelling shoots outdoors. I'd like to know if anyone has recommendations for what's critical. I've read recommendations for the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM prime lens. I'm told that a speedlight with collapsible lightsphere is good to have.

Any thoughts?

Really good starter camera, some would say its better than the current 60D since it has higher build quality although image quality probably won't be as good you will have plenty of room to grow into it.

RuGalz

Man Pentax is really the last man standing without a FF body with a Sony 24mp sensor inside. Oh and Samsung. :)

I'm kinda guessing they can't use the sensor for 6 months and/or integration with Ricoh is taking longer than expected.

All these FF announcements are pretty exciting. Maybe that will drive FF sensor cost down in the future.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I was just at a store at the mall, and this guy caught my eye...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073HSH8U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's on sale for $359 right now.

The P510 is a superzoom camera. That type looks kind of like a compromise between a compact and SLR. But they actually have tiny sensors similar to those of a low-end compact, the lens is larger just because it has a very long zoom range that allows photos of far away subjects. Unless you specifically need that capability I wouldn't recommend one.

Overall the best bang for the buck now in your price range is an m4/3 (Panasonic or Olympus) camera that's a generation old and marked down. Better image quality than all but the most expensive large sensor compacts even if you only use the kit lens, for less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom