• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The rumored $2100 price tag makes me sad :(

I was really hoping we'd see $1500 full frames from Nikon/Canon this year; shame it's a fair bit higher. That said, sales and the used market will probably drop the camera to the ~$1700 range in the next six months or so.

teiresias

Think I'm going to buy my first FF Nikon glass (probably a 50mm 1.8G) to use as a nearly 85mm effective on my D90 while I wait and in a month or two get a D600 body with a Nikon 70-200mm (or Tamron 70-300mm). Then I'll need something for the wide end, not sure what to get there yet.

I'm seriously considering moving from my 60D to a NEX 6 or 7. I haven't shot much at all in the last year or so and I'm often leaving my DSLR at home because of the bulk.

I figure I should be able to get somewhere around $2500 for the body and Canon glass that I have and would like to reinvest that in the NEX and E mount stuff. Is there anything I should be on the watch out for with regards to this stuff? I've never shot anything other than Canon with regard to interchangeable lens cameras.

I shoot mostly in manual but do use autofocus. I see that the NEX 6 finally has what looks like a standard hot shoe, so I'm not sure if there is anything that I'll miss in the transition.

I've sold (and bought) some stuff on POTN before and have not had any problems, but I see someone up above recommend Craigslist. Is this pretty much the preferred method to move a body and 5 lenses?

Radec

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-and-olympus-partnership-for-50-billion-yen/

Hmmn.. I wonder if that will affect both of their camera departments..

The rumored $2100 price tag makes me sad :(

I was really hoping we'd see $1500 full frames from Nikon/Canon this year; shame it's a fair bit higher. That said, sales and the used market will probably drop the camera to the ~$1700 range in the next six months or so.

I'm honestly baffled that some are expecting a $1500 Full Frame from the two big boys.

That's the price of the D300s and 7D. And we haven't got a replacement for them till now.

Or maybe Nikon already killed the D300s successor because of the D7000, but who knows.

Releasing a $1500~ish FF will seriously undercut 50% of their lineup. (D300s/7D/5D/D800/D4/1D) and people will be wise enough to buy it and spend the rest on glass.

They can release a $1500, but I doubt they will given the fact that their normal pricing of FF are selling well. A $1500 FF might come in a few years, but probably not from Nikon/Canon first. Maybe Sony or Pentax ?

tino

Banned
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-and-olympus-partnership-for-50-billion-yen/

Hmmn.. I wonder if that will affect both of their camera departments.

Sony collaberate with Yakuza confirmed!

I'm honestly baffled that some are expecting a $1500 Full Frame from the two big boys.

That's the price of the D300s and 7D. And we haven't got a replacement for them till now.

Or maybe Nikon already killed the D300s successor because of the D7000, but who knows.

Releasing a $1500~ish FF will seriously undercut 50% of their lineup. (D300s/7D/5D/D800/D4/1D) and people will be wise enough to buy it and spend the rest on glass.

They can release a $1500, but I doubt they will given the fact that their normal pricing of FF are selling well. A $1500 FF might come in a few years, but probably not from Nikon/Canon first. Maybe Sony or Pentax ?

No kidding. When was the last time Nikon release a body with better than fair suggest pruce? Answer never.

I don't think Sony will do cheap FF either. A850 didn't sell very well. Plus Sony's mid to high end lens are not cheaper than CN.

I don't think Sony's FF NEX-9 will be cheap either. I am thinking 2000-2200 range. Sony always has unrealistic ambition for its high end stuff.

As for Pentax. I am just amazed Pentax can make it to 2012 with believable FF rumor without any bankrupt rumor to circulate first. People who buy into Pentax for FF body (not talking about current Pentax owners) will find Pentax's FF lineup is as barren as NEX's lineup.

dmshaposv

Official pics of Canon 6D

Front

Z-canon-6d-front-s.jpg

Z-canon-6d-top-s.jpg

Side

ZYLEFT-LG.JPG

Back

Z-canon-6d-back-s.jpg

Yep, they are legit. No headphone jack FOR SHAME canon.

With features like Wifi and GPS, inferior AF than 7D, no proper headphone jack I don't know who the hell is the camera aimed at - not the videographer and neither the photographer since they'd prefer either a 5DIII or 7D over this.

dmshaposv

DPreview summary on 6d:

Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d

Time to jump ship if you are not too invested in glass.

dmshaposv

They really stripped out as much as they possibly could, which really is sad.

It sucks I have some good canon glass and am comfortable using them. Also sucks I have some expensive CF cards lying around that now needs to be sold off. :(

But D600 really is the better product in every respect. Nikon's history with sensors means their camera will definitely perform better or as good as this camera in low-light.

My only option is to make more money to buy the mkIII, which at least is a good camera unlike the half-hearted 6D. Guess Canon's strategy worked.

I'm going to say I'm not as enthused as I was earlier. Full-frame, GPS, and touch screen were compelling, but it would be nice to have some decent actual camera stuff beyond that :p

Hopefully the Digic 5+ brings some interesting features.

No touchscreen. So it only has full-frame, GPS and wifi going for it.

mrkgoo

They really stripped out as much as they possibly could, which really is sad.

It sucks I have some good canon glass and am comfortable using them. Also sucks I have some expensive CF cards lying around that now needs to be sold off. :(

But D600 really is the better product in every respect. Nikon's history with sensors means their camera will definitely perform better or as good as this camera in low-light.

My only option is to make more money to buy the mkIII, which at least is a good camera unlike the half-hearted 6D. Guess Canon's strategy worked.

No touchscreen. So it only has full-frame, GPS and wifi going for it.

Lol, when it rains, it pours.

i don't think a single canon signifies the end of Canon though.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
With features like Wifi and GPS, inferior AF than 7D, no proper headphone jack I don't know who the hell is the camera aimed at - not the videographer and neither the photographer since they'd prefer either a 5DIII or 7D over this.

It's aimed at people wanting to move from the Rebel/XXD/7D to full frame without spending $3k+ on a 5DMKIII.

It is a nice camera. But when you look at Nikons new one of the fact that a 5DMKII can be had cheaper then it starts to lose appeal.

tino

Banned
Looks like DPR is pretty spot on regarding the 6D.

Not really worth $2099 if you compare it to the D600.

It might come back if how the sensor performs though.

Porformence difference of recent FF snesors between D4 and 1D4 is very minimal.

If the review of 6D is true then Conan has made strategic mistake with both the 5D3 and the 6D.

dmshaposv

Lol, when it rains, it pours.

i don't think a single canon signifies the end of Canon though.

Never said that.

Heck, I'd love to have a 5DMkIII, it is easily one of the best cameras canon has made. It feels great in hand (excellent ergonomics over nikon) and the AF and video features make it an excellent workhorse stills and video shooter.

My only problem is its price. I can't invest in better glass, equipment if I invest all my money on mkIII - which is why I wanted a 6d with at least a headphone jack and 7D AF system.

I really like Canon's menu systems - the one in MKIII is super snappy and responsive. Sony's menu systems are too bloated a mess for me, and Nikon's are too layered.

The d600 looks great, but I'll just have to see whether I'm getting good returns on selling my canon glass. Otherwise, need to wait till next year to afford a MKIII after I sell of some kidneys...

Radec

The thing that I like about that 6D is that it looks smooth and solid. Also the AF speed (I only tried the 5DMKII+2470 combo) is amazingly fast compared to Nikon's D700+2470). It's like instantaneous on all af point.

giga

7D? I'm not even considering it. The 7D, while it has a great AF system and impressive continuous shooting, is still APS-C.

What I'm considering is a full frame sensor and a competitive price and that's what Canon is trying to attract with the 6D. The 5DIII at $3k is not even in my range. So right now it boils down to a refurb 5D2, 6D, or D600.

The D600 has the features I want like a 2012 AF system, but the lenses I want are priced higher than the Canon equivalents I own or planning to get.

Canon 85/1.8: ~$350
Nikon 85/1.8 (SWM model): ~$500

Canon 135L: ~$1000
Nikon 135/2: ~$1200

Built in wifi and gps are attractive features to me(location tagging, wireless transfer, phone remote control), but aren't must have things. The 6D does look like it has better AF than the 5D2 since the center point is sensitive up to -3 EV. The 5D3 is sensitive down to -2EV while the D600 down to -1EV.

At the end of the day though, if the 5D2 gets dropped even further on CLP, then that's what I'll most likely consider.

mclaren777

Features I really like:
• 'Silent' shutter mode
• Modern AF microadjust
• Having built-in wi-fi

Things that sound awful:
• Maximum flash x-sync is only 1/180
• Maximum shutter speed is 1/4000
• Worse center AF than my 60D

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Seems like the complaining about the 6D is classic "It's not what I want so it's terrible."

There are other benefits, notable WiFi/GPS and lighter weight that may appeal to others and not you.

mclaren777

Here's the AF pattern for the 6D...

iUG2Cl7pWxhY4.gif

High Performance Composing and Focus
The EOS 6D has an entirely new 11-point AF system for fast, accurate AF no matter the situation. With its new centered cross-type AF point with EV -3 sensitivity for improved performance and focus in low light, and a newly developed and bright 21mm eye point viewfinder with 97% coverage, the EOS 6D offers impressive performance in both composition and AF, even in the dimmest lighting situations. Offering not only One-Shot AF, AI Servo AF, and AI Focus AF, the EOS 6D's AI Servo focus can be customized with tracking, acceleration and deceleration tracking sensitivities, and 1st or 2nd image priority adjustments. For even more customization, adjustment levels for the wide-angle and telephoto ends of particular lenses can be entered and recorded into the camera's memory.

The simplicity and convenience of Wi-Fi built-in
The new EOS 6D features built-in Wi-Fi, incorporating cutting edge technology into the camera's compact and lightweight design. The EOS 6D's exposure settings such as aperture, shutter speed and ISO, focus, and shutter can be operated wirelessly using an iOS or Android smartphone* with the free Canon EOS Remote app. Using a smartphone with the EOS Remote app installed, shoot remotely from a distance, even in Live View mode, for those difficult-to-capture shots; you can also review images in the EOS 6D without having to take it out of the bag, and easily transfer and save images directly from the camera to a smartphone.

Comparative Playback
The EOS 6D's comparative playback mode enables images to be played back two at a time, side by side. A tremendous, in-camera timesaver, comparative playback means images can quickly be enlarged simultaneously to compare focus, blur and noise, and can be individually rated, deleted or locked.

Silent Shooting
The EOS 6D offers a silent, low vibration shooting mode. By slowing down and muting the shutter and mirror reflex action, the camera is capable of handheld, virtually imperceptible operation for discrete shooting in more situations.

Maximum Burst
Based on 8GB memory Card:
• JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 73 Shots
• RAW: Approx. 14 Shots
• RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: 7 Shots

Based on 8GB UHS-I memory card:
• JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 1250 Shots
• RAW: Approx. 17 Shots
• RAW + JPEG Large/Fine: 8 Shots

Forsete

Features I really like:
• 'Silent' shutter mode
• Modern AF microadjust
• Having built-in wi-fi

Things that sound awful:
• Maximum flash x-sync is only 1/180
• Maximum shutter speed is 1/4000
• Worse center AF than my 60D

Is that basically that the first curtain is electronically controlled?

Parallacs

That thing is nuts. The only thing that would make it cooler is if it was white, like the body. That would look so sleek.

Also, it looks like a lot of people are on the fence for the 5D Mark II. The thing is a tank, buying it used is a great idea. If you haven't used this website, it really helps snag deals when they come up:
http://www.canonpricewatch.com/used/

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/02699/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-price.html

KC7CD.jpg

That's a fine-looking lens. It's not every day that a new (premium!) lens in the general-purpose range gets announced, for any mount. This will probably have the same nice manual focus as the 12mm.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Seems like the viewfinder of the 6D has been downgraded to 5Dc levels. Oh Canon. Would have been a nice differentiation if they made the screen flip out, like the NEX or something. As it is its pretty ho-hum. The price is not small enough to be shocking and yet the specs aren't strong enough to be enticing either. It just... is. Nikons offering feels stronger in regards to specs. Nikon is definitely killing it in regards to the bodies themselves and they released two midrange primes that would go well with their midrange FF body.

giga

6D advantages over 5DII:
- wifi
- gps
- center AF point is sensitive up to -3 EV
- 4.5 vs 3.9 fps
- 770 g vs 850 g
- iso 12,800 and 25,600 are standard
- silent shutter

5DII advantages over 6D:
- retains my beloved joystick controller. yes, i've used the 60 style af point selection--don't like it as much because you have to reach down further.
- 98% vs 97% viewfinder coverage
- 1/8000 vs 1/4000 shutter speed (can use an ND on the 6D, but that's a pain)
- 1/200 vs 1/180 flash sync
- fully magnesium alloy
- $500-600 cheaper

The main things that really attract me to the 6D are the higher iso speeds and better center AF point, but I don't know if that's worth $600 to me. Leaning towards…no. Jesus canon, if Nikon can fit a 100% viewfinder and a modern AF in a $2k body, you can too.

alterno69

Banned
My biggest disappointment is the lack of a tilt screen, that would mean an instant purchase from me, as it stands i'll probably go for a refurb 5d mkII

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
6D advantages over 5DII:
- wifi
- gps
- center AF point is sensitive up to -3 EV
- 4.5 vs 3.9 fps
- 770 g vs 850 g
- iso 12,800 and 25,600 are standard
- silent shutter

5DII advantages over 6D:
- retains my beloved joystick controller. yes, i've used the 60 style af point selection--don't like it as much because you have to reach down further.
- 98% vs 97% viewfinder coverage
- 1/8000 vs 1/4000 shutter speed (can use an ND on the 6D, but that's a pain)
- 1/200 vs 1/180 flash sync
- fully magnesium alloy
- $500-600 cheaper

The main things that really attract me to the 6D are the higher iso speeds and better center AF point, but I don't know if that's worth $600 to me. Leaning towards…no. Jesus canon, if Nikon can fit a 100% viewfinder and a modern AF in a $2k body, you can too.

How is the Mark II $500 cheaper? Not even close unless you are talking used/refurb.

Damn it Canon, so hyped about the 6D until I read that preview, what were they thinking, I need the AF points and FPS of the 7d to shoot my kid.

I guess I keep waiting for a reasonably priced FF body that works with my lenses :(.

So is this why they released the awesome new Firmware of the 7D? To be less tempted to sell it, I knew it was too good to be true, they always get you.

Hey GAF, can you help me to decide what camera to buy?

Until this last week, I was totally sure about what would be my new camera, a Sony NEX 7, but... today I really don't know.

I mean... I've been reading about those new Sony cameras and when it comes to the NEX 6, pretty much everybody say that it's the one to own, even over the NEX 7.

Besides the lower price and fewer megapixels, which I know aren't the most important feature in a camera, can you tell me if you agree/disagree with that statement, and most important, why?

Thanks!! :)

tino

Banned
Hey GAF, can you help me to decide what camera to buy?

Until this last week, I was totally sure about what would be my new camera, a Sony NEX 7, but... today I really don't know.

I mean... I've been reading about those new Sony cameras and when it comes to the NEX 6, pretty much everybody say that it's the one to own, even over the NEX 7.

Besides the lower price and fewer megapixels, which I know aren't the most important feature in a camera, can you tell me if you agree/disagree with that statement, and most important, why?

Thanks!! :)

If the difference is less than 200, I would get the N7. 7 has better ergonomic and better resolution/dynamic range I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom