• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Hi Camera GAF -

Last Christmas, I bought my fiancee a camera. I'm 99% sure it was a Panasonic GF3 (sold to me by tino actually - thanks again!). Well, she's getting to the point where she REALLY wants a new lens. She wants one that has SIGNIFICANTLY higher zoom than the one that came stock with the camera. She's in another state for a clinical right now, so I don't have access to the camera at the moment, but I can get the data on the lens at some point if need be.

Any suggestions/tips on picking out a new high-zoom lens?

I feel obligate to help out. I did a quick search it seems the Panasonic 14-140mm or Olympus 14-150mm are two options.

Parallacs

are there any pitfalls for using nikon AI lenses on canon EOS EF cameras?

Not really! I have a 50mm 1.4 pre-AIS that doesn't work on my FM2 but works wonders on my 5D!

This is an awesome website that lists compatibility for a 5D. Nikons fare well and users with cropped sensors are even more in luck since the mirror is smaller:

http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

Manual focus isn't really that hard. It takes me maybe 3 seconds to take a sharp photo. Also, I shoot wide open 1.2 - 1.8 most of the time so brightness isn't an issue. If you like the results with Nikon, I would recommend Pentax M42 lenses. I use them more than Canon...

EDIT: on second thought, check your Nikon lens to see if it has a metal curved tab like thing protruding from it. Two of my eight nikon lenses have them and I would have to file it down to get it to mount on EOS.

Have a D90, and a bunch of FX lenses (including some wonderful old AI-S glass). Considering a D600 or used D700.

Reasons to consider the D700:
- Wider AF coverage. D600 seems awfully confined. I get by with the 11 points on the D90, but they're more spread out.
- Faster flash sync (this hasn't really been an issue, I don't normally use fill flash in the sun, maybe I should though).
- $1150 cheaper.

Thoughts?

None at all other than the typical issues when using manual lenses. You'll need to stop down the lenses manually, it'll darken the viewfinder considerably by f8, manual focusing at landscape distances (infinity) can be tough from the viewfinder. For critical focusing Live View is needed. Other than that you can get some amazing AI lenses for relatively cheap prices.

cool.
i have a t3i and im in the market for a prime lens for close up shots and low light conditions.
i was looking at the canon 50mm f/1.8 but after reading reviews, people are recommending spending a bit more and get the f/1.4 50mm lens which retails for $360 on amazon.
but then i read somewhere that Nikon AI lenses fit well on canon EOS DSLR cameras.
so i found this on amazon.

Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI manual focus lens for $140

what do you think?

Not really! I have a 50mm 1.4 pre-AIS that doesn't work on my FM2 but works wonders on my 5D!

This is an awesome website that lists compatibility for a 5D. Nikons fare well and users with cropped sensors are even more in luck since the mirror is smaller:

Manual focus isn't really that hard. It takes me maybe 3 seconds to take a sharp photo. Also, I shoot wide open 1.2 - 1.8 most of the time so brightness isn't an issue. If you like the results with Nikon, I would recommend Pentax M42 lenses. I use them more than Canon...

EDIT: on second thought, check your Nikon lens to see if it has a metal curved tab like thing protruding from it. Two of my eight nikon lenses have them and I would have to file it down to get it to mount on EOS.
whoa. pentax m42 lenses are cheap.
no known issues if mounted to a canon EOS camera?
and i have a t3i.
would that compatibility list be relevant to me?

Radec

Have a D90, and a bunch of FX lenses (including some wonderful old AI-S glass). Considering a D600 or used D700.

- Wider AF coverage. D600 seems awfully confined. I get by with the 11 points on the D90, but they're more spread out.
- Faster flash sync (this hasn't really been an issue, I don't normally use fill flash in the sun, maybe I should though).
- $1150 cheaper.

Thoughts?

Check this: http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D600-vs-Nikon_D700

If you can easily shell out a grand, I don't see why would you choose the D700 over the D600.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
cool.
i have a t3i and im in the market for a prime lens for close up shots and low light conditions.
i was looking at the canon 50mm f/1.8 but after reading reviews, people are recommending spending a bit more and get the f/1.4 50mm lens which retails for $360 on amazon.
but then i read somewhere that Nikon AI lenses fit well on canon EOS DSLR cameras.

what do you think?

The 50mm Nikkors are supposed to be good although be aware that focusing such a fast lens will be very hard to focus wide open if you're shooting through the viewfinder without a precision focus screen (I installed one on my former Rebel XT and it helped out immensely). The Depth of Field representation at f/2.8 to f/1.4 will be shown as around f/3.5. This becomes a huge issue when shooting wide open. You won't have this issue with Live View since it shows exactly what the sensor sees.

On the screwmount Pentax lenses, the Pentax SMC 50/1.4 is supposed to be one of the better 50mm lenses in regards to sharpness and bokeh (out of focus rendition) and it can be had for around the price of the Nikon you're looking at. The only issues you may run into with any manual lens is if the mirror will hit the back of the lens at Infinity but this is only an issue for the Canon 5D, 5DMKII and MKIII. Another good site to checkout is www.keh.com. They can be a little more pricey for the 'darling' vintage lenses but you can get M42 Pentax and Olympus lenses fairly cheap.

Flo_Evans

- $1150 cheaper.

Thoughts?

I would add:

- more rugged body (bigger and easier to hold, depends on your hands though)
- more external controls (AF-ON, WB, dedicated ISO, ect)
- PC sync port (kind of an old standard now but if you still have strobes that use this and don't want to buy RF units its a good thing)
- CF cards (depends on if you have a stack of them)
- more frame buffer (smaller files, but still)

Personally I have a D7000. At the rumored $1600 it was an insta buy for me... $2000 has me thinking.

We have one pre-ordered for the office, not sure if I am going to sell my personal cam though. Would rather spend the $$$ on lenses. But we will see... nikon doesn't seem too keen on releasing any more "pro" DX lenses.

Parallacs

cool.

what do you think?

and i have a t3i.
would that compatibility list be relevant to me?

That is the 50mm Nikon I have (except for the LOL-hood). I prefer Pentaxes however, I get more contrast and the min focus distance is like half as far.

The T3I has a much smaller mirror than the 5D, so you are in better shape than the list. In terms of Pentax, the 50mm Takumar 1.4 is considered the holy grail of manual focus lenses (apart from Zei$s). You can get a good one on eBay for about $100. On my 5D, the back of the lens hits the mirror if I am shooting at ininity BUT I rarely shoot at inifinity (its not really the point of a 50mm) and I shoot in liveview, so the mirror has already cleared the lens. Your T3i wouldn't have this problem.

Just make sure the lens is m42 and not bayonett (pentax mount). Also, some of the lenses have yellowed so get one that looks clear.

"On the screwmount Pentax lenses, the Pentax SMC 50/1.4 is supposed to be one of the better 50mm lenses in regards to sharpness and bokeh (out of focus rendition) and it can be had for around the price of the Nikon you're looking at. The only issues you may run into with any manual lens is if the mirror will hit the back of the lens at Infinity but this is only an issue for the Canon 5D, 5DMKII and MKIII. Another good site to checkout is www.keh.com. They can be a little more pricey for the 'darling' vintage lenses but you can get M42 Pentax and Olympus lenses fairly cheap. "

The Takumar 7 and 8 element lenses are better than the newer SMC. I would recommend getting the Takumar that doesn't say SMC on the front element.

The T3I has a much smaller mirror than the 5D, so you are in better shape than the list. In terms of Pentax, the 50mm Takumar 1.4 is considered the holy grail of manual focus lenses (apart from Zei$s). You can get a good one on eBay for about $100. On my 5D, the back of the lens hits the mirror if I am shooting at ininity BUT I rarely shoot at inifinity (its not really the point of a 50mm) and I shoot in liveview, so the mirror has already cleared the lens. Your T3i wouldn't have this problem.

Just make sure the lens is m42 and not bayonett (pentax mount). Also, some of the lenses have yellowed so get one that looks clear.

The 50mm Nikkors are supposed to be good although be aware that focusing such a fast lens will be very hard to focus wide open if you're shooting through the viewfinder without a precision focus screen (I installed one on my former Rebel XT and it helped out immensely). The Depth of Field representation at f/2.8 to f/1.4 will be shown as around f/3.5. This becomes a huge issue when shooting wide open. You won't have this issue with Live View since it shows exactly what the sensor sees.

On the screwmount Pentax lenses, the Pentax SMC 50/1.4 is supposed to be one of the better 50mm lenses in regards to sharpness and bokeh (out of focus rendition) and it can be had for around the price of the Nikon you're looking at. The only issues you may run into with any manual lens is if the mirror will hit the back of the lens at Infinity but this is only an issue for the Canon 5D, 5DMKII and MKIII. Another good site to checkout is www.keh.com. They can be a little more pricey for the 'darling' vintage lenses but you can get M42 Pentax and Olympus lenses fairly cheap.

awesome thanks.
this is going to save me hundreds!
im building myself a little independ film kit.
i wasn't so excited about spending at least $1,000 on lenses alone

Parallacs

awesome thanks.
this is going to save me hundreds!
im building myself a little independ film kit.
i wasn't so excited about spending at least $1,000 on lenses alone

glad to help. Manual focus digital (anachronism!) is my passion. Just be glad that either the Nikon or Pentax will produce much better bokeh than the Canon EOS 50 1.4. That lens is terrible.

Parallacs

yeah, that's the one I am recommending. See the focus knob is knurdled? The SMC version (inferior in my opinion) looks like a ridged rubber band. Just get one with a picture going through it so you can see if it has yellowed.

Also, if you want to go crazy, the 135mm 2.5 is pretty awesome.

The adapter you would need:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-AF-...ens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item1c2b396cc4

(Big_is are from Hong Kong and take forever to ship but are fatter than typical adapters, which is a good thing)

yeah, that's the one I am recommending. See the focus knob is knurdled? The SMC version (inferior in my opinion) looks like a ridged rubber band. Just get one with a picture going through it so you can see if it has yellowed.

Also, if you want to go crazy, the 135mm 2.5 is pretty awesome.

The adapter you would need:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-AF-...ens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item1c2b396cc4

(Big_is are from Hong Kong and take forever to ship but are fatter than typical adapters, which is a good thing)

cool thanks bro.
you saved me a ton of money.
also, what do you recommend for a wide angle lens? specifically for doing landscape shots for video.

Personally I have a D7000. At the rumored $1600 it was an insta buy for me... $2000 has me thinking.

Yes, $1600 would have been instant buy for me too. Alas.

None of the things you listed for D700 matter to me, coming from the D90. I have a modern strobe and I trigger it optically. AF-On would be nice, but I am so used to having preflash on that button it is OK.

I think the problem is that $2000 is just hard to cross mentally. I have been waiting for the D700 to be 'cheap' since it was released.

BlueTsunami

cool thanks bro.
you saved me a ton of money.
also, what do you recommend for a wide angle lens? specifically for doing landscape shots for video.

Wide Angle and vintage is hard to find and usually pricey. Reason being these lenses were made for 35mm cameras and the crop you get from APS-C cameras will render most wide angle lenses as something tighter. Definitely find a good midrange wide angle zoom for your camera instead.

Also checkout the Contax / Yashica Zeiss sections. Another great 50mm is the 50mm f/1.7 Contax/Yashica (or C/Y). I've owned this lens and it would always impart confidence on how the lens renders. I'm missing it right now since I'm shooting with a 50mm f/1.8 Canon FD. It just isn't the same (optically). You can get this particular lens for $150 to $200 and its worth every damn cent. Here's one shot I took with this Zeiss earlier this year...

Full Size: http://i.minus.com/iqgS1SdgeW6LN.jpg

Its obviously sharp but there's something to the way it handles colors, it just feels tight in that regard. But I've already passed beyond the veil of opticophile or whatever the hell it would be called here.

Sorry can't help you there. For wide angle, I use the Canon 16-35mm. Very pricey. I would skim the website I linked earlier. If it works on 5D, it will work on T3i.

will do. thank you.

Wide Angle and vintage is hard to find and usually pricey. Reason being these lenses were made for 35mm cameras and the crop you get from APS-C cameras will render most wide angle lenses as something tighter. Definitely find a good midrange wide angle zoom for your camera instead.

Also checkout the Contax / Yashica Zeiss sections. Another great 50mm is the 50mm f/1.7 Contax/Yashica (or C/Y). I've owned this lens and it would always impart confidence on how the lens renders. I'm missing it right now since I'm shooting with a 50mm f/1.8 Canon FD. It just isn't the same (optically). You can get this particular lens for $150 to $200 and its worth every damn cent. Here's one shot I took with this Zeiss earlier this year...

http://i.minus.com/jqgS1SdgeW6LN.jpg/IMG][/URL]

Full Size: [url]http://i.minus.com/iqgS1SdgeW6LN.jpg[/url]

Its obviously sharp but there's something to the way it handles colors, it just feels tight in that regard. But I've already passed beyond the veil of opticophile or whatever the hell it would be called here.[/QUOTE]
i'll definitely check it out.
i have a 55-250mm IS II lens.
how would it compare to that?

BlueTsunami

for the price of the DSC-RX1 i can buy one lecia lens. Why is this camera so sexy to me

Its gonna be the most compact 35mm camera you'll be able get and that's definitely hugely appealing. Plus im sure the Zeiss lens is no slouch. Their own ZM lenses are almost comparable to the modern Leicas.

magicstop

That is the 50mm Nikon I have (except for the LOL-hood). I prefer Pentaxes however, I get more contrast and the min focus distance is like half as far.

"On the screwmount Pentax lenses, the Pentax SMC 50/1.4 is supposed to be one of the better 50mm lenses in regards to sharpness and bokeh (out of focus rendition) and it can be had for around the price of the Nikon you're looking at. The only issues you may run into with any manual lens is if the mirror will hit the back of the lens at Infinity but this is only an issue for the Canon 5D, 5DMKII and MKIII. Another good site to checkout is www.keh.com. They can be a little more pricey for the 'darling' vintage lenses but you can get M42 Pentax and Olympus lenses fairly cheap. "

The Takumar 7 and 8 element lenses are better than the newer SMC. I would recommend getting the Takumar that doesn't say SMC on the front element.

FWIW, the newer SMC is preferred to the S-M-C and the Super versions by almost everyone for a variety of reasons, including the fact that it sports 8 aperture blades instead of 6 or 7. It produces incredibly smooth and buttery bokeh. The 8 element version of the tak 50 is hard to find, but doesn't fetch that much of a price, and has only 6 blades, IIRC.

I can speak for the quality of the SMC Tak 50. I use it on my Canon 60D with a cheap $5 adapter off of Amazon, and it's incredible. The build quality is unbelievable, the IQ the same. They say that Pentax took a loss on every one of the SMC Tak's they produced in trying to compete with Zeiss, and I believe it. One of my favorite purchases.

Do keep it mind, as already stated, you'll need to focus in live view mode. It's not a big deal, though. I get some blurry shots from misfocusing a bit (at f/1.4, the focal plane is SMALL, and the DoF plane is quite small). But most are sharp as a tack. Get it. It's a great lens. I paid $160 on eBay, FWIW. I've seen them go for $135 up to $215.

Radec

OVF
Sony_RX1_impresiones_12.jpg

EVF
Sony_RX1_impresiones_26.jpg

mclaren777

More rumors about the 6D

• A new 20mp sensor
  • Full Frame
  • 4.5fps
  • ISO Range 100-25600
  • DIGIC5+
  • APS-C Sized body
  • Weathersealed
  • SD Card
  • Built-in Wifi & GPS
  • 11 AF Points, f/2.8 Cross-type in the center.
  • 3″ LCD
  • Full HD (1920×1080)
  • Available December 2012
  • Price: $1999 USD

My thoughts: I'm going to be pissed if it doesn't have a silent shutter mode or minimum ISO/shutter speed.

Flo_Evans

More rumors about the 6D

• A new 20mp sensor
  • Full Frame
  • 4.5fps
  • ISO Range 100-25600
  • DIGIC5+
  • APS-C Sized body
  • Weathersealed
  • SD Card
  • Built-in Wifi & GPS
  • 3″ LCD
  • Full HD (1920×1080)

My thoughts: I'm going to be pissed if it doesn't have a silent shutter mode or minimum ISO/shutter speed.

Built in wifi and GPS is pretty sweet. 11 AF points though... guh

spats

My RX100 arrived today. Shots look beautiful wide open and it's a pure joy to use. I absolutely love the little thing so far. I can put up some test shots if anyone happens to be interested in it.

Flo_Evans

Depends how they are arranged. I rarely use anything besides the center point anyway, so I probably won't notice.

I'm going to guess the typical canon diamond (but with 2 more, similar to the nikon d90 layout...)

Canon_XSi_AF.jpg

I just think thats pretty lame in 2012~13. If you only use single servo and never take action shots fine, but to me an advanced tracking auto focus is one of the reasons to get a DSLR in the 1st place.

I just think thats pretty lame in 2012~13. If you only use single servo and never take action shots fine, but to me an advanced tracking auto focus is one of the reasons to get a DSLR in the 1st place.

It's all about protecting their pro-level bodies. With full-frame moving downmarket, stuff like advanced AF will be what defines the high end.

alterno69

Banned
Damn that 6D sounds nice, i'm on the market for a FF to upgrade my 60D, for my bussines i don't need that many AF points cause i do mostly social events + video. I wonder if this will have 60P at FHD mmmm

BlueTsunami

I wonder what the 6D's $2K price point will do to the 5DMKII? its been sitting pretty, new, at around there. Gonna be interesting to see what comes from this.

dmshaposv

More rumors about the 6D

• A new 20mp sensor
  • Full Frame
  • 4.5fps
  • ISO Range 100-25600
  • DIGIC5+
  • APS-C Sized body
  • Weathersealed
  • SD Card
  • Built-in Wifi & GPS
  • 3″ LCD
  • Full HD (1920×1080)

Why no compact flash? Why sd?

dmshaposv

Damn that 6D sounds nice, i'm on the market for a FF to upgrade my 60D, for my bussines i don't need that many AF points cause i do mostly social events + video. I wonder if this will have 60P at FHD mmmm

If 5dmkiii and 1D dont have have 1080 60p, then this will not have it for sure.

Damn the 6D sounds tempting as hell, might need adjusting to fewer AF points compared to my 7D but I can live with that if it has FF/GPS, etc

If I sell my 7D and my Tokina 11-16mm, I might be able to afford it without putting much out of my bank account.

When will it be officially announced?

Hi Camera GAF -

Last Christmas, I bought my fiancee a camera. I'm 99% sure it was a Panasonic GF3 (sold to me by tino actually - thanks again!). Well, she's getting to the point where she REALLY wants a new lens. She wants one that has SIGNIFICANTLY higher zoom than the one that came stock with the camera. She's in another state for a clinical right now, so I don't have access to the camera at the moment, but I can get the data on the lens at some point if need be.

Any suggestions/tips on picking out a new high-zoom lens?

Your best bet will be either the Panasonic 45-175mm power zoom lens ($375), the Panasonic 45-200mm ($200) or the soon to be released Panasonic 40-150mm lens. The first one will be the lightest, but it's slightly more expensive due to the power zoom, the second one gives you the greatest reach, but it's fat and heavy for a tiny gf3 and the last one has not been released yet so the quality is unknown. The Olympus 40-150 has great optical quality considering it's price, but does not have Optical Image Stabilization built in. Here's a size comparison http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/0...ASPH-Mega-OIS-zoom-lens-for-micro-four-thirds

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Your best bet will be either the Panasonic 45-175mm power zoom lens ($375), the Panasonic 45-200mm ($200) or the soon to be released Panasonic 40-150mm lens. The first one will be the lightest, but it's slightly more expensive due to the power zoom, the second one gives you the greatest reach, but it's fat and heavy for a tiny gf3 and the last one has not been released yet so the quality is unknown. The Olympus 40-150 has great optical quality considering it's price, but does not have Optical Image Stabilization built in. Here's a size comparison http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/0...ASPH-Mega-OIS-zoom-lens-for-micro-four-thirds

I feel obligate to help out. I did a quick search it seems the Panasonic 14-140mm or Olympus 14-150mm are two options.

Thanks guys. I'll make note of these and shop around for prices (as well as use this as a good starting point for whatever she decides she wants)!

That'd be nice. We can already get the II for 1500 through clp. Less than that would reel me in.

last week i saw a seller on amazon selling a mark II with kit lens (24-105mm) brand new open in box for around $1600. obviously its gone now.
but yeah, if i see a mark II for <1500, i'd pull the trigger too.

tino

Banned
last week i saw a seller on amazon selling a mark II with kit lens (24-105mm) brand new open in box for around $1600. obviously its gone now.
but yeah, if i see a mark II for <1500, i'd pull the trigger too.

I don't believe it. It's probably a scam. 5D2 is too popular a model to have crazy pricing.

giga

Whats wrong with refub 5D2? You guys only want new models.
No, I'd be cool with it too. Still very capable for many more years to come. It's just that it came out 4 years ago so I want the price to be closer to the 1000 mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom