• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Soooo, what have we here....

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25442/D3x.html

D3x?

353_25442_D3x_front.jpg

I wonder how long until this gets taken down....

I hope Nikon doesn't replace my hotlink with tubgirl or something

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
BlueTsunami said:
Jesus. That thing is probably going to be a monster, can't wait to see how it performs!
If it's anything as good as the D700, then that's plenty. Every other 35mm style camera I've used pales in comparison to it (except in the case of landscapes and still nature which the 5D is great at too).

I just hope that the increased megapixel count doesn't impact the high ISO performance too much.

Speaking of comparisons, there was an interesting segment on a British TV show where they compared gigantic (enough to cover the side of a building) enlargements of studio shots done on a D700 and an F5 (film).

http://fwd.five.tv/videos/challenge-blow-up-part-3

The test was kinda skewed though, since they used 400 speed film in the F5, which is not going to look as good as 100 or 50. Also, the test also introduces the variable of the digital film scanner, so overall, this test was kinda lame.

demon said:
Some time this year I'd ideally like to have two new cameras: a good pocket-sized camera, and some kind of entry-level digital slr. Currently I have a Canon S1-IS, and while it's nicer than my last camera, it's far too bulky to just carry around, but it just doesn't do what I want in terms of having a "real" camera.

1. As for pocket digicams, how much do you have to pay for a good one? The last one I had (gone now) was a Canon S200 Digital Elph, and I'd like something thinner than that, but better picture quality. I'm more concerned with picture quality than megapixels, I really don't need anything over 3mp. Just something that's versatile for a pocket camera.

2. And while I'm not so concerned about this in the meantime, what will I want to be looking at in terms of DSLRs? I've heard a lot about the digital rebel, and I've seen it for as low as $550 or so on the internet.

3. And last question, along with my Canon S1-IS I have a polorizer filter, an IR filter, a "nd8" neutral density filter, and two 1gb CF cards (one UltraII) in case the next camera I have uses different mem cards.... how much do you think I'd be able to sell all that for? It'd be nice to be able to put at least a couple hundred bucks from that towards a new camera.
My suggestion would be the new Canon Rebel XSi with the 18mm - 55mm, 55mm - 200mm with IS for both. I would also invest in a good flash, maybe the 430 ex II. I started with the Canon Rebel XTi and I plan to advance once they come out with a prosumer crop camera. The Rebel is a very good entry level camera, you won't be disappointed with it. I have gotten tons of nice shots off with it. It is also mega light. Oh and invest in a bag, I am partial to crumpler (I have the 7 million dollar home)

Now that I think of it. The Rebel wasn't my first DSLR my first was the Nikon d40. It wasn't what I expected so I traded it back in and got the rebel. Can't give you advise for the point and shoot as i never use one.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
http://sebrogers.typepad.com/seb_rogers_blog/2008/11/official-nikon-d3x-specs-its-here-folks.html

For some reason, Nikon goes ahead and leaks out the D3x early in their own magazine. Hmm.
- same body design, AF, metering and main functions as D3
- 24.5mp FX sensor
- 5:4 and DX crops
- 5fps at full resolution; DX crop shoots 10mp images at up to 7fps
- ISO 100-1600, extendable down to 50 and up to 6400
- 16 bit EXPEED processor

Not much that reaaally differentiates it from the 1D bodies spec-wise. There's enough resolution here to be a nice studio camera. I wonder if it'll live up to the performance of the D3 as a sports and high speed action camera.

Guess we'll just have to wait to see the image test results. And the price.

giga

16-bit? :lol There's hardly any difference between 12 and 14 and now we have 16.

Looks good though. Price will determine its success.

Forsete

Just got this.

Minolta AF 35-70 F4 Baby Beercan
39_1.jpg

I already have the Big Beercan, so I thought I'd get this aswell. :D

traveler

Not Wario
This seems as appropriate a place as any, (outside a new thread) so I guess I'll ask here. I've always wanted to take up photography as a hobby and never really taken the time nor money to do it. Well, I'm looking to get a camera this Christmas and I was just wondering what would be a good one ($200 - $400) for someone starting out. I don't know the slightest thing when it comes to the subject matter, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out. (Only reason I'm asking today is that I see a lot of deals out there on several cameras but I don't want to jump for one solely based on savings- are any of the Black Friday savings good?)

Edit: I don't want to come across as lazy so if you guys just want to point me in the direction of some good articles for beginners like me, I'd be happy to do the reading and researching on my own.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hey guys, I want to learn more about using my Canon XSi, what are good websites to learn how to take advantage of this bad boy?

FYI, I have a kit lens and I am too poor to buy a better one.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
BlueTsunami said:
*oops, I thought you meant reviews.

I guess you could read over this review anyway (may give better insight)

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-Rebel-XSi-450D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Don't worry about me on the XSi, I was sold on that bad boy since they announced it.

It just took me a while to buy jump into the world of DSLR's because my damn Sony point and shoot worked perfectly well for 5 years. Heck, after 17,600 pictures the damn thing is still working fine.

Speaking of reliability, I heard that Canon did not rate the shutter life of the XSi, should I be worried? The XTi was rated at 50,000 (which preceded the XSi).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hcoregamer00 said:
Hey guys, I want to learn more about using my Canon XSi, what are good websites to learn how to take advantage of this bad boy?

FYI, I have a kit lens and I am too poor to buy a better one.
Here's a start:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Ken Rockwell's site has a lot of good info for beginners (although there are a lot of those who think this guy's full of crap. Your mileage may vary.)

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/howto.htm

http://kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

giga said:
16-bit? :lol There's hardly any difference between 12 and 14 and now we have 16.
I don't think that relates to how we can save a RAW file (12-bit or 14-bit), but rather the nature of the processor. IIRC the D300 was also touted as having a 16-bit EXPEED processor or something like that too. Whatever the case, though, it's all marketing bullcrap in the end.

rebel-xt.jpg

I had this camera since forever. I just buy camera because i think it's cool to have one :lol.

But i want a lens to go with it. IDK. What are some quality Macro lens that won't rip a hole in my wallet?

idk. i'm tempted to just buy a new camera.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
traveler said:
This seems as appropriate a place as any, (outside a new thread) so I guess I'll ask here. I've always wanted to take up photography as a hobby and never really taken the time nor money to do it. Well, I'm looking to get a camera this Christmas and I was just wondering what would be a good one ($200 - $400) for someone starting out. I don't know the slightest thing when it comes to the subject matter, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out. (Only reason I'm asking today is that I see a lot of deals out there on several cameras but I don't want to jump for one solely based on savings- are any of the Black Friday savings good?)

Edit: I don't want to come across as lazy so if you guys just want to point me in the direction of some good articles for beginners like me, I'd be happy to do the reading and researching on my own.

You may as well jump into the wonderful world of DSLRs. For a budget of $400, you may be able to get a used entry level Canon or Nikon DSLR, but if it were up to me, I'd just recommend buying a new D40, which is the best bang for the buck camera out on the market. it has a lot of automatic modes which are great for beginners.

You can get one on Amazon right now for $410 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
Cheapest NEW DSLR that's worth buying, as far as I can tell. I wouldn't bother with Sony, Sigma, or Olympus (although they are cheaper).

Sure, you could start with a cheap point and shoot, but you'll probably want to upgrade before long anyway. Picture quality is so much better on any DSLR than any point and shoot.

giga

Rentahamster said:
I don't think that relates to how we can save a RAW file (12-bit or 14-bit), but rather the nature of the processor. IIRC the D300 was also touted as having a 16-bit EXPEED processor or something like that too. Whatever the case, though, it's all marketing bullcrap in the end.
i was talking about the processor. most modern dslr processors (digic, expeed) these days process the image in 14-bit. some claim it's better when making drastic edits in post process, but i've never really seen its effectiveness in the real world to be honest.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DMPrince said:
rebel-xt.jpg

I had this camera since forever. I just buy camera because i think it's cool to have one :lol.

But i want a lens to go with it. IDK. What are some quality Macro lens that won't rip a hole in my wallet?

idk. i'm tempted to just buy a new camera.
If you want a macro lens on the cheap, buy a Canon 500D close up filter for about a hundred bucks depending on your lens size. Stick it on any moderate telephoto lens and you're good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_p?url=search-alias=photo&field-keywords=canon+500d&x=0&y=0

If you want to go even cheaper, just get any old magnifying glass and hold it up in front of your lens. Good luck keeping it steady, though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
giga said:
i was talking about the processor. most modern dslr processors (digic, expeed) these days process the image in 14-bit. some claim it's better when making drastic edits in post process, but i've never really seen its effectiveness in the real world to be honest.
I think that the processor only is a factor if one is shooting JPEG. I think the higher bits mean that the CPU has more tonal values it can use to fill in shadows and recover highlights during the in-camera RAW -> JPEG conversion much better than lesser cameras. Nikon's Active D-lighting and Canon's highlight tone priority rely on high bit processing. (Although there may be some evidence to the contrary, like here: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_40D_review_6.html). At any rate, I don't even care (and I'm not even 100% sure if what i just said was correct, lol) what kind of processor is in there. I shoot RAW most of the time anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Here are some samples: http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/camera/slr/digital/d3x/sample.htm

Very nice, as they should be at ISO 100-200. The detail is crazy. Still, these are marketing shots, so they are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Price is gonna be $8000. That much just for more megapixels? Meh. If you're gonna just shoot at ISO 100 in a studio, you can get a Sony A900 and some lenses for less than that.

Hey Nikon, announce some new lenses already!

adg1034

Okay, so bringing things down to a lower price point for a second, I just bought a Powershot SD880IS as part of my getting ready to study in Scotland next spring. Everyone from Ken Rockwell (I know) to CNET to most of what seem to be the major photography review sites out there have all given it huge thumbs up, and for only $245, it seems like a great deal.

I've been using cameras all my life, but this will be the first usable one I actually own (I previously had some crappy 1.3MP Fuji that needed new batteries every 10 minutes). Smart move? Enlighten me.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
adg1034 said:
Well, have you tried it out yourself yet? Did it take good pictures? From what I hear it seems like a great value for a camera, but as long as you're satisfied with its picture taking abilities, then that's all that should matter.

adg1034

Rentahamster said:
Well, have you tried it out yourself yet? Did it take good pictures? From what I hear it seems like a great value for a camera, but as long as you're satisfied with its picture taking abilities, then that's all that should matter.

I should have been clearer- it's still in the mail. I just wanted to either be preemptively validated or not.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Someone tell me if these are good deals. I just got a Nikon D40 as my first DSLR. The included 18-55 mm doesn't really cut it for me since I want to take really zoomed in pics. I'm not really sure what kind of lens to get and whether I should spend the money on a VR lens. I kinda want to be cheap and get something less than $200.

I was considering getting these lens for $125, although used. But it seemed like a nice deal. What do you guys think?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pho/944119674.html

And I know only certain lens can autofocus on a D40 and some certain lens cannot.

Zeth

I just picked up a Canon 5D Mark II

I also have

Canon 50D

Canon 24-105 f4 IS L
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L
Canon 17-40 f4L

Canon 430EX
Battery Grips for both bodies

Does anyone here have experience with the Panasonic LX3? Although I know the quality won't be the same level as a DSLR, I want a compact camera that I can basically carry around all the time. My current camera is a Kodak Z760, and it's not terrible, but the photos I take with it don't really wow me with great detail and quality. The Kodak was a gift, so I didn't research it before getting it, and I'm not really sure if a modern compact camera would be a noticeable upgrade over it, or not. Any advice?

Zeth

here's a straight out of camera ISO 12,800 from my 5D Mark II. Looks considerably better than ISO 1600 on my XTi which I owned not too long ago:

430283204_6HUBk-XL.jpg

The noise control is incredible. I would never even think twice about using ISO 6400 with this camera.

adg1034

Zeth said:
here's a straight out of camera ISO 12,800 from my 5D Mark II:

430283204_6HUBk-XL.jpg

The noise control is incredible. I would never even think twice about using ISO 6400 with this camera.

I'd heard high ISOs were amazing on this, but holy shit.

Zeth

adg1034 said:
I'd heard high ISOs were amazing on this, but holy shit.

run 6400 through noise ninja or your noise-reduction software of choice and you've got an image fit for very large prints. I'm insanely impressed.

MrSeaneyC

Zeth said:
here's a straight out of camera ISO 12,800 from my 5D Mark II. Looks considerably better than ISO 1600 on my XTi which I owned not too long ago:

Jesus that really is something spectacular, I love doing low light photography, i've really decided now the only worthwhile upgrade from my 20D is a 5 or 1 Series having previously owned a 1D Mk1 (whilst awesome for action, plain sucked in low light, although not nearly as amazingly sucky as my Sigma SD9 which really struggled at ISO400)

adg1034 said:
I should have been clearer- it's still in the mail. I just wanted to either be preemptively validated or not.
:lol You remind me of myself sometimes.....I'll buy something because I want it, and then I'll scour the internet for good reviews.

Zeth

Unfortunately I do a lot of sports photography and the 5D2 just isn't fast enough at 3.9fps

I did take the 5D2 for one sports shoot just because it was my brand new toy :D

90mm f2.8 ISO 3200 1/500

431458001_HcC2W-XL.jpg

Zeth

Lucky Forward said:
:lol You remind me of myself sometimes.....I'll buy something because I want it, and then I'll scour the internet for good reviews.

Oh I'm dying for the 5D2 dpreview.

adg1034

Lucky Forward said:

Hey, now. I checked around for good reviews before I bought it; I just wanted to see if anyone here had any firsthand experience with this specific model.

giga

Zeth said:
Oh I'm dying for the 5D2 dpreview.
i don't really like dpreview reviews because they seem to only test iso performance at default jpeg settings. seriously--what's the use in that? i really don't understand why they don't test raws with NR off--especially for such high end cameras.

nitewulf

i wish the 5dmk2 can be hacked such that you could take lower res photos at a high fps. THEN i'd buy it as my next camera, as it is, ill stick w/ the 40D for now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
giga said:
i don't really like dpreview reviews because they seem to only test iso performance at default jpeg settings. seriously--what's the use in that? i really don't understand why they don't test raws with NR off--especially for such high end cameras.
They do now for the more recent review like the 50D and A900.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page18.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra900/page21.asp
I assume they'll do it for the 5D MkII as well.

Zeth said:

That's awesome. I have a D700 and the high ISO performance on that thing is phenomenal. Got any 100% crops for us to take a peek at?

It's too bad about the 3.9fps. Does it improve if you add a grip? I know with my D700 I can enable 8fps with the grip. I can get much faster shutter speeds now since I can bump up the ISO to 3200 or more and not have to worry too much.

mosaic

go eat paint
It looks like this thread is mostly aimed at the folks spending upwards of $500 and getting SLRs with lenses and awesomeness, but I hope y'all can help me out with something lower end...

We're looking to get a digital camera in the $250-or-less range. The trick here is that we have to get one at Staples, since part of that prices factors in a rewards check that expires later this month.

We did a quick grab and snap today and ruled some out based on sluggish picture taking time.

So, these are our remaining options:

Sony Cybershot W150 $180

Canon Powershot SD790 IS $250

Canon Powershot SD1100 IS $199

Kodak Easyshare Z1012 IS $250

Thoughts?

mrkgoo

The 5Dmkii looks very cool.

I'm nearly ready to ditch my 17-55. I just don't feel comfortable with it anymore.

And yeah, I do the same thing - I buy something (AFTER reviews though), and then I always go back and read reviews again.

Movies, I tend to read reviews afterwards.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mosaic said:
Thoughts?
Not really a P&S guy but If I had to go just by brand, I'd probably pick up a Canon. I like their P&S cameras. You should probably just go to the store and try 'em out. If you have any memory cards that a certain camera uses, you should probably lean towards that camera since then you won't have to buy new memory cards.

mrkgoo said:

I'm nearly ready to ditch my 17-55. I just don't feel comfortable with it anymore.
What don't you like about it? I don't have that one, but I got the 16-35L and I'm fairly happy with the results. Not really sure how the two compare though.

mrkgoo said:
Yeah, I'm starting to see some impressive images come out of that camera. I'm wondering about that whole "black spots" problem some people are having. It seems there are a bunch of threads about it on dpreview, but I haven't met anyone yet IRL who has that problem. If I had money to blow I'd pick one up too, but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna go Nikon only from here on out.

mrkgoo said:
Movies, I tend to read reviews afterwards.
Yeah, me too. Nowadays reviews tend to have so many friggin' spoilers. I mean, what's the point anymore?

Hi all,
Allow me to divert you from your high-end spec talk.

I have just bought a Canon 450D and I am looking to get a UV filter and a second backup battery.

I only have the kit lens so I was wondering whether I should go for the more expensive digital filters or whether a cheap and cheerful one would do the job just fine.

Similar question about the battery, I have found non Canon for a tenner while the Canon one is about thirty pounds. Worth spending the extra cash?

Thanks,

DPP_0001-1.jpg

Zeth

mrkgoo said:

Do not do it! Best lens I ever owned. Best zoom you can get for a crop body. Had to sell it to fund my Mark II and I miss it OH so much.

It's arguably better than both 24-70L and 24-105L. Canon has no full frame L equivalent zoom with 2.8 and IS.

Zeth

Evangelos- I wouldn't bother with a UV filter on the kit lens. Try to save money wherever you can and get a 50 1.8

I don't have any experience with non-Canon batteries but I wish some third parties would put out a 5D2 battery. I just got raped for $100 on one battery.

Thanks Zeth,
I just ordered a £10 battery myself, ouch at the $100.
I'll keep you lens recommendation in mind for when I am ready to upgrade. Actually, it's quite cheap and I am already tempted... but I will resist :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom