• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

buy the original, you could get the 5D MK1 used for 1500 bucks now, image quality wise its untouchable, even comparing against the new fancy nikons. 5D with a canon prime...is like, forget about it.

you dont need the 5D MK2 if you'e just a hobbyist.

nitewulf said:
buy the original, you could get the 5D MK1 used for 1500 bucks now, image quality wise its untouchable, even comparing against the new fancy nikons. 5D with a canon prime...is like, forget about it.

you dont need the 5D MK2 if you'e just a hobbyist.

nah, i have the 20D and i'll wait for a few more years till i'll buy a nother one..
but i want that 5D MK2 though.... i just ...want it.... not getting it..

tomjr

Take a look at the 5D2 samples posted on dpreview. They are from a pre-production camera, but the high ISO samples look pretty clean. No, high ISO isn't the defining quality of any camera, but it's amazing to see the way things are progressing.

I love my 5D, but if the buzz from the 5D2 is positive, I'll get one. I'm happy to see the sensor cleaner, higher res LCD, and ISO on the display. Too bad Canon didn't use BP511 batteries for the 5D2, but it's not a big deal.

p.s. Always-honest, I went from a 20D to a 5D and it's totally worth it. Don't hesitate to move to full frame. Just for the viewfinder alone is almost worth it. My two cents.

Dazzla

I've seen better examples of D90 footage. He was so shaky it was unbearable to watch. I wonder how much effect VR has on the D90 filming.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I have this vision in my head, of seeing photography books in the future that have behind the scenes video (on a DVD or BD that comes with the book) that shows the Photographer setting up shots, explaining the scene and the lighting (all because of the integrated video). It truly adds a layer to the game that is going to be awesome to manipulate.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
As expected, Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4 was announced. No price that I can see, yet.

Expected an 85, and a new 70-200mm, too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bought a 50D yesterday :) No huge upgrades to the 40D, but high ISO at 3200 looks very usable, and with more megapixels. Not had time to have a proper play yet though.

mrklaw said:
bought a 50D yesterday :) No huge upgrades to the 40D, but high ISO at 3200 looks very usable, and with more megapixels. Not had time to have a proper play yet though.

congrats!.. colour me jealous...............:(

mrklaw

MrArseFace

mrkgoo

mrklaw said:

You had a 40D, right? What does the 50D do that facilitated an upgrade?

the iso3200 performance that stellar?

Congrats, though!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not that much, just fancied a change :p

- Screen is much nicer, and I use liveview a lot with macro so thats worthwhile.

- Even just from very basic tests, ISO 3200 seems very usable. Almost more usable than 1600 on the 40D. That does go against other tests that have been done though, so I'll check a bit more. but it certainly gives more headroom.

- AF adjustment is nice. I'm thinking of getting another sigma 30 1.4, but they have a bad reputation for copy variance, and if I can compensate for that in camera, then great.

- 50% more pixels means more croppability. Generally I'm getting better at composing well in the viewfinder, so I don't crop too much for general shots. But for macro, and long lens stuff (airshows, motorsports), I do often have to crop a lot. Now I can chop away 1/3rd of the image and still be left with what I'd have fully on my 40D.

individually not a lot has changed, but together I think they are a nice upgrade.

giga

i'm switching to a d300 from my 40d. :p

i really want that in built flash transmitter on the D300. (no way i'm paying $200 for the st-e2). the larger buttons on the back will help me this winter too with my gloves. (the battery grip is just so much nicer as well. :/)

not that the 40d isn't a great cam--i still love it. i just gotta put my money where i get the most value for what's worth it to me. :)

mrkgoo

mrklaw said:
not that much, just fancied a change :p

- Screen is much nicer, and I use liveview a lot with macro so thats worthwhile.

- Even just from very basic tests, ISO 3200 seems very usable. Almost more usable than 1600 on the 40D. That does go against other tests that have been done though, so I'll check a bit more. but it certainly gives more headroom.

- AF adjustment is nice. I'm thinking of getting another sigma 30 1.4, but they have a bad reputation for copy variance, and if I can compensate for that in camera, then great.

- 50% more pixels means more croppability. Generally I'm getting better at composing well in the viewfinder, so I don't crop too much for general shots. But for macro, and long lens stuff (airshows, motorsports), I do often have to crop a lot. Now I can chop away 1/3rd of the image and still be left with what I'd have fully on my 40D.

individually not a lot has changed, but together I think they are a nice upgrade.

Fair enough. Those are all very good reasons to upgrade - I'd love to move up as well, but my upgrade (350D->40D) has barely been a year. Funny though, in some ways the move to a 50D is even greater - I'd love the micro adjustment feature. I find it interesting how the camera companies know just how much to add into a new body to encourage upgraders :)

I'd like to make my next move even greater - the 5D looks tempting :p But I'd like to give more room. I paid about a 20% premium for moving to the 40D when it was new.

Dazzla

Just switched from my ageing D70s to a D90, gonna head out on the weekend and have a real play.

The low noise at high isos with this camera is immense, seems alien (coming from a D70s) to have perfectly usable shots up to 1600 and even 3200. Love it!

Video recording is certainly a novelty to me, not sure how much I'll use that. I might use it every now and again (maybe capture short clips when I go away).

Croppability is good as well, nice step up from what I had before.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't like Nikons - their lenses move the wrong way,and I can't get used to their button layout. I'm sure I could, but I'm just used to Canon.

I considered the 5D, but I like reach and 40/50D still give great image quality. Also the AF on the 5DII and 5D are single lines around the edges, while the 40/50D have all cross type.

posted this on POTN, but thought you might find it interesting.

I tried some shots today with the 50D. Didn't do direct comparisons to 40D, but just wanted to see what was usable and what wasn't. These are all out of camera JPG, standard style, NR set to 'standard'. Tripod, MLU. Canon 24-105 set to f4. Light was low indoors at ISO 200 and f4 I was getting 1/13 second.

personally I'm very happy with 3200. Bear in mind these are 100% crops so not a realistic setting for eg a print. (there is a full shot at the bottom of the post if you want to check it out at different sizes)

Overall picture for reference:

100% crops at

ISO 200

ISO 1600

ISO 3200

ISO 6400

ISO 12800

Here's a link to the fullsized toys shot at ISO 3200

mrklaw

MrArseFace
giga said:
looks good. could you post some raws instead of jpg? (so there's no NR)
not easily. I don't shoot RAW so wouldn't know where to start. There are some examples on POTN and they're pretty noisy. Hopefully DPP will let you do the same NR as the camera does to jpegs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
a few high ISO shots taken in the park today. might help those of you who shoot landscapey type stuff to see if high ISOs are usable

I think I got some ok shots in the end. Yesterday I was worried it might be too bright, but then woke up this morning to fog! Also, when I first turned the camera on, I got an Err99! Never had one before, and I thought I'd be scuppered before I'd started. Took out the battery and card, replaced them and it worked ok. Will keep an eye on that though.

anyway, enough chat. Here are a bunch of shots at mostly 3200 ISO, with a few comparisons at 6400, and one or two 12800 sprinkled in there. All full size (click the image to open the photo page in flickr to see larger sizes. couldn't be bothered to do 100% crops of them, and they aren't realistic uses of the pics anyway).

Some are quite a bit slower than 1/400 due to the variable light. All handholded on the 100-400, JPEGs pretty much straight out of camera. A tad of levels/sharpening on some of them, but I got bored after a while and just left them as-is. So if you have an existing canon DSLR, bear in mind the normal PP you'd do to an out of camera shot and how they can look a tad soft.

I actually think even some of the 6400 shots are very usable as they are - what do you think?

ISO 3200, 1/40(!), 285mm

ISO 6400, 1/100, 285mm

ISO 3200, 1/400, 300mm

ISO 6400, 1/320, 400mm

ISO 12800, 1/100, 300mm

ISO 3200, 1/400, 300mm

ISO 6400, 1/400, 300mm

ISO 3200, 1/500, 285mm

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ISO 3200, 1/640, 400mm

ISO 3200, 1/160, 285mm

ISO 6400, 1/320, 285mm

ISO 3200, 1/160, 375mm

ISO 6400, 1/320, 375mm

ISO 3200, 1/500, 285mm

ISO 3200, 1/1000, 375mm

ISO 3200, 1/400, 400mm

nitewulf

could you do some night time ambient light shots? thats what i'm really interested in. they look very good for ISO 3200 shots.

Bliany

So i am looking to finally get into photography and am stuck deciding between a couple different compacts.

The first i'm looking at is Sony's Cyber-shot T700. I like the idea of having something very slim so i can carry it around all the time. It's touchscreen display also allows manual control of ISO and such unlike Nikon's competitor.

I have also been looking at Canon's upcoming PowerShot G10. This seems to be the closest i could get to dslr without the price and form factor of one. My question is though is this too bulky to constantly carry around in my pocket? And also is this camera more than an amateur really needs?

So i am wondering if it is worth the extra $100 to get the Canon. Or even if there are better choices for both categories.

BlueTsunami

This person got their hand on a Pre-Production model of the 5DII and created a video where he's messing with the DoF...

http://www.vimeo.com/1941248

Real cool. He's using a 24mm f/1.8

Bliany said:
So i am looking to finally get into photography and am stuck deciding between a couple different compacts.

The first i'm looking at is Sony's Cyber-shot T700. I like the idea of having something very slim so i can carry it around all the time. It's touchscreen display also allows manual control of ISO and such unlike Nikon's competitor.

I have also been looking at Canon's upcoming PowerShot G10. This seems to be the closest i could get to dslr without the price and form factor of one. My question is though is this too bulky to constantly carry around in my pocket? And also is this camera more than an amateur really needs?

So i am wondering if it is worth the extra $100 to get the Canon. Or even if there are better choices for both categories.

I can't really answer your question but all I can say is that the G10 really does feel like a companion Point and Shoot to a DSLR. If your just learning, the G10 would probably be overkill (especially at the price). Any point and shoot what allows full Manual exposure should be good for learning.

On the other hand, you could ignore a lot of the advanced stuff and grow into using the various settings... totally up to you. It is a bit bulky though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's some pretty decent performance in the 50D. Looks a lot better than what comes out of my 20D and 30D.

I'm very very pleased with the high ISO performance on my D700, though. Freakin' sweeeet. Helps out a lot when I'm in a dark place, or when I need to conserve my flash power.

pnjtony

I'm pulling this thread back so I'm not making yet another camera thread.

I got my girlfriend a Canon Rebel XTi about a year and a half ago. Nothing crazy. She just uses the stock lens and I got her a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens so she'd have a zoom for vacation stuff.

What I'm wondering is if it'd be worth it to buy a Canon EOS 30D body only to upgrade it? She'd like to eventually shoot weddings or other events, maybe head shots.

What benefit does the 30D body have over the XTi? Keeping in mind it looks like the 30D is 8.2 mp and her XTi is 10.2 mp.

Also what would be a good all purpose all around lens? I was thinking the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens.

BlueTsunami

pnjtony said:

I got my girlfriend a Canon Rebel XTi about a year and a half ago. Nothing crazy. She just uses the stock lens and I got her a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens so she'd have a zoom for vacation stuff.

What I'm wondering is if it'd be worth it to buy a Canon EOS 30D body only to upgrade it? She'd like to eventually shoot weddings or other events, maybe head shots.

What benefit does the 30D body have over the XTi? Keeping in mind it looks like the 30D is 8.2 mp and her XTi is 10.2 mp.

Also what would be a good all purpose all around lens? I was thinking the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens.

The XTi is still a very capable camera. Since shes only had it for a year and a half, I would look into getting her a good lens. I'm personally still on an XT and the only wall I've run into is ISO limitations and AF speed.

Since you thinking about getting her a 30D and a lens (the cost for both I'm factoring into possible lens purchases)? Maybe look into getting the 70-200mm f/4 IS L (I think its around $1000). If that's too much, then the same lens without IS is about $500-$600. This particular lens is known for its use in Portrait shots and Weddings!

Then there's primes (like the Canon 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8), those two go for about $300 I think. You can't zoom with those though but you get top IQ shots with them.

There's also the 24-105mm f/4 IS L lens, which is widely regarded as the best walk around lens you could get (the other being the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L)... which looks like it almost matches up with the lens you were looking at. Its also $1000. Here's a review on that particular lens (with sample shots): http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-105mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

nitewulf

pnjtony said:

stay w/ the XTi, i don't think the 30D would improve on it that much, save for the build quality, higher fps and spot metering. i'f either upgrade to the XSi or at least a 40D...but aside from that i'd stick with the XTi and get a good lens instead.

for weddins, headshots and stuff the 50mm f/1.4 prime might be the best bet. it'll take excellent quality photos and its cheap. aforementioned 70-200 f/4 L is a beast of a lens, though one of the best in the world. i'd get the cheaper one w/o the IS, as the non-IS actually takes better shots. for indoor wedding photos...IS might come in handy, but for an amateur i dont think it'd be worth it. keep in mind both the 70-200mm L lenses are gigantic and would balance awkwardly on a small camera such as the XTi.
i'd go with a flash, 50mm f/1.4 combo to start with.

the best walkaround for the crop format cameras such as the XTi and the 30D is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. i'd get it w/o worries, but it is very expensive. i think it's around 1200 bucks now. in lieu of that, i'd suggest the 18-85mm IS. or i'd get the brand new 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS that just came out. that'd be the best walkaround, all rounder for a canon crop body. those are the three choices you have depending on budget. the 28-135mm would be crappy, plus too narrow (ie, starts at 28mm * 1.6 = 45mm viewing angle), same for the L's mentioned earlier...though i can vouch the 24-105mm f/4 is a fantastic lens.

ask more questions, ill be glad to clarify...it'll depends on your tasks and teh environment the hsots will be taken in.

Ceres

Banned
Anyone have any opinions on good compact digital cameras that work well in low lighting situations such as concerts? I read reviews highly rating older Fuji F series cameras for these situations but I notice a lot of reviews saying the newer models aren't as good.

I'm not sure if I want to get a 2 year old model and go with the 40fd, especially when they're selling for only $50 less than newer models which I can get with a free SD card (even if those things are really cheap these days).

RAW would be an even bigger bonus but not a necessity as I'm not looking to spend much more than $300 which leaves out the Canon Powershot G9, another camera I've heard decent things about.

Also, I need models I can actually buy now as I want a new camera before we go to Costa Rica mid Nov.

BlueTsunami

Ceres said:
Anyone have any opinions on good compact digital cameras that work well in low lighting situations such as concerts? I read reviews highly rating older Fuji F series cameras for these situations but I notice a lot of reviews saying the newer models aren't as good.

I'm not sure if I want to get a 2 year old model and go with the 40fd, especially when they're selling for only $50 less than newer models which I can get with a free SD card (even if those things are really cheap these days).

RAW would be an even bigger bonus but not a necessity as I'm not looking to spend much more than $300 which leaves out the Canon Powershot G9, another camera I've heard decent things about.

Also, I need models I can actually buy now as I want a new camera before we go to Costa Rica mid Nov.

Not sure if your already gone but the Lumix cameras tend to have good High ISO for being compact. You may have to pay a premium though, trying to get a good low light compact.

In other news, if your a Canon DSLR user and have been wanting to play with Zeiss lenses... check this site out...

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/zeiss-85mm-f1.4-ze/for-canon

:D :D :D

$90 all together for 7 days (after shipping) and if you like it, it looks like you can purchase the lens at a discount. The 50mm version will be hitting in December.

I'm trying to get into photography and I have a Canon Xsi and Photoshop CS4 lined up. What I am wondering is if software like Aperture or Light Room is useful/necessary or should I just stick to PS?

Banned
Captain Nemo said:
I'm trying to get into photography and I have a Canon Xsi and Photoshop CS4 lined up. What I am wondering is if software like Aperture or Light Room is useful/necessary or should I just stick to PS?
Lightroom is designed for photo management/photographic editing. Photoshop is more for image manipulation rather than photographic editing. Not that it can't do the same adjustments as Lightroom, it's just not designed with photographers in mind.

Rentahamster said:
http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/

Holy shit!

28K video is ridiculous. The modular idea sounds intriguing.
I've been enamored of Red ever since the rumors of the Red One made me think it had to be a joke because the specs were so eye poppingly outrageous. And this new announcement is once again flat out amazing. I love that they're breaking the still/video barrier, when it all goes to a sensor, what's the difference?

I'd sell a kidney for one if I didn't know it'd be obsolete within two years.

BlueTsunami said:
ISO: 3200

My god...
Indeed...unbelievable.

I've been doing a lot of lens research lately, and the cute nicknames for lenses is really getting me lately. "Sigmonster" for this one is great, but "Bigma" is superb. It oddly makes lens shopping more appealing. The lens I just ordered goes by "dust pump" or "dusty trombone" :lol

I can't wait to use that in conversation.

BlueTsunami

shichishito said:
Indeed...unbelievable.

I've been doing a lot of lens research lately, and the cute nicknames for lenses is really getting me lately. "Sigmonster" for this one is great, but "Bigma" is superb. It oddly makes lens shopping more appealing. The lens I just ordered goes by "dust pump" or "dusty trombone" :lol

I can't wait to use that in conversation.

The 85L is often referred to as "The Keg" :lol

so_awes said:
what do you guys recommend for sensor cleaning?
Is your camera under warranty? You can just send it in.

If not, use the Copperhill sensor brush method.

Give it a google, there are plenty of tutorials out there and it isn't as dramatic as it may seem.

so_awes said:
what do you guys recommend for sensor cleaning?
I just cleaned my 20D's sensor yesterday for the first time, after owning it for over 3 years and shooting tens of thousand of pictures. I'd gotten used to cloning dust spots out of most of my pictures, but any telephoto shots or especially macro shots showed terrible dust everywhere.

I got the Green Clean system, which consists of a mini-vacuum to suck loose dust and dirt off the sensor, and then wet and dry swabs for the actual cleaning. It was pretty easy to use, and when I shot a bunch of macro pictures afterward, I only noticed one dust spot I'd somehow missed, I'll have to follow up on that.

Overall, for something I put off doing for a long time it went really well. You can see a video for the Green Clean system here:

http://www.sensor-cleaning-system.info/

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Not to sure if this is the right thread, but I just ordered a Pentax K110D body for $220 after cashback...is it worth it or should I have purchased the K100D or any other DSLRs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom