• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

~ The Official Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions thread ~

Fady K

======================================================
~Welcome to the Official Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions Thread at neoGAF~
======================================================

fft-header.jpg

Title ~ Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Publisher/Developer ~ Square-Enix
Platform ~ PlayStation Portable [PSP]
Rating ~ T for Teen (US) / 12 + (EURO)
Genre ~ SRPG
Release Date ~ US/CAN October 9, 2007
~ EUROPE October 5, 2007
Official Website ~ http://na.square-enix.com/fftactics/
Price~ $39.99 (US Dollars)
~ £29.99 (UK)

Buy Now ~ http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=190467 (US/CAN)
~ http://www.game.co.uk/PSP/Strategy/~r331353/Final-Fantasy-Tactics-The-War-of-the-Lions/ (EURO)

611_11663_Final_Fantasy_Tactics___The_Lion_War.jpg

fftpsp2.jpg
267px-Fftlweucover.jpg

========
~Reviews~
========

Game Informer 9.5/10
--------------------------
1UP 8.5/10 http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3163518
------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAMESPY 5/5 http://psp.gamespy.com/playstation-p.../825393p1.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EGM - 8, 8.5, 8.5 (SILVER AWARD)
-----------------------------------
GAMEPRO - 4.25 (Editors Choice)
--------------------------------------
IGN 9.0/10 (Editors Choice) http://psp.ign.com/articles/824/824273p1.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDGE 9/10
-------------
PSM 9.5/10
-------------
Game Almighty 8.6/10 http://www.gamealmighty.com/game-review/review/Final_Fantasy_Tactics_War_of_the_Lions/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
PLAY 9/10
------------
RPG Fan 91/100 http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/fft-psp/index.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gametrailers.com 9.2/10 http://www.gametrailers.com/gamereview.php?id=3901
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RPGamer 4/5 http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=816602
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

======
~Story~
======

In days now long past, the War of the Lions rent the land of Ivalice in two.
And it is here that two young men of note first stepped onto history's stage.
The first is a man named Delita Heiral, the hero who would draw the curtain on the War of the Lions, this dark act of Ivalice's history.
The other, whose role is now forgotten, is a man by the name of Ramza Beoulve.
Peer through the eyes of these two young men, and uncover the secrets that lie hidden within history's darkened folds.

========
~Features~
========

*Final Fantasy turns tactical. Experience strategic, turn-based combat on 3D battlefields brought to life with breathtaking art and stunning visual effects.
*Customize your characters – with over 22 jobs and over 400 abilities to choose from, the tactical options open to you in combat are nearly endless .
*Uncover secret truths hidden within a gripping tale of intrigue, betrayal, heresy, love and heroism in a lengthy adventure.
*Classic orchestrations from world-renowned composers Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata capture the essence and breathtaking drama of the world of Ivalice.

slim_psp_pianoblack.jpg

======================
~New additions to the PSP game~
======================

*Maximum character limit is now 24, as opposed to 16 in the PSone version
*New items, weapons, and accessories
*The entire PSone script has been retranslated by Tom Slattery (responsible for re-translating Final Fantasy V and VI advance).
*New story events (not including the new animated scenes)
*Samples of new 3D models of characters in cutscenes viewable

~ 2 new job classes ~

Onion Knight
fftpsp27.jpg
fftpsp26.jpg

The first new job class is the Onion Knight, popularized in Final Fantasy III.
While initially weak, this class can be overwhelmingly strong if developed well.
Even though the Onion Knight cannot learn any abilities, they can equip everything and becomes a powerhouse class upon mastering other job classes.

Dark Knight
447px-FFT_DarkKnight.jpg

The second new job class is known specializes in draining the opponent of their energy and using it to replenish yourself.
Consists mainly of abilities that focus on hurting others at the expense of your HP.

~ Animated Cutscenes ~

Cel shaded cutscenes help bring the story of Final Fantasy Tactics to life, using the same artwork that was present in Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSone.

fftpsp112.jpg

fftpsp118.jpg

fftpsp120.jpg

1.jpg

Video - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23013.html

~ Voice overs (not found in Japanese Version) ~

The brand new cel-chaded cutscenes will also include English voice overs, from well known people to all RPG lovers, including:

- Yuri Lowenthal -
yuri_lowenthal_full.jpg

(his roles include Haseo in Dot Hack GU, Reks in Final Fantasy XII, Dean in Wild Arms 5,
Red Testament
in Xenosaga III, Luke in Tales of the Abyss,
and Kyle from Suikoden V, and many more)

- Kari Wahlgren -
img_07.jpg

(her roles include Teliko in Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Jeanne in Jeanne D'Arc, Ashe in Final Fantasy XII, Shelke in Dirge of Cerberus, Lady in
Devil May Cry 3, and Lilika in Rogue Galaxy, and many more).

~ 2 new playable characters ~

- Balthier (from Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings) -
TBal.jpg

Final Fantasy XII's "leading man" makes an appearance in Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. His job in FFT is, you guessed it, Sky Pirate.

- Luso (from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 - The Sealed Grimoire)
Fft-ruso.jpg

The main character from the upcoming sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, on the DS. His job in FFT is Mob Hunter.

~ Multiplayer ~

For the first time ever, Final Fantasy Tactics offers two mutliplayer modes:

- Versus -

In versus mode, you use your army and battle it out against a friend on ad-hoc. You also get to set the rules and restrictions. You can also lay traps.

- Co-op -

The co-op mode is available from the bar in the game, and will consist of a difficult set of scenes with a unique story from the main game.

==============
~Key Staff Members~
==============

*Character Illustration - Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII)
*Game Director and Writer - Yasumi Matsuno (Vagrant Story, Tactics Orge)
*Music Composers - Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata (Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, Odin Sphere)
*Executive Producer (of PSP version) - Akitoshi Kawazu
*Translator - Tom Slattery (FFV and FFVI advance)
*Co-producer - Shingo Kosuge
*Art Direction - Hiroshi Minagawa
*Battle Maps - Hideo Minaba

======
~Media~
======

- Videos -

Official Trailer - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25751.html
Video Review from Gametrailers - http://www.gametrailers.com/gamereview.php?id=3901
- Character Art - (SPECIAL thanks to KyanMehwulfe)

Ramza Beoulve
Ramza.jpg

Agrias Oaks
Agrias.jpg

Mustadio Bunansa
Mustadio.jpg

Cloud Strife (playable character)
Cloud_Strife_Nomura_art.jpg

larg.jpg
dycedarg.jpg
zalbag.jpg

goltana.jpg
orlan.jpg
algus.jpg

- The Jobs - (SPECIAL thanks to KyanMehwulfe)

darkknight.jpg
knight.jpg

onionknight.jpg
dragoon.jpg

squire.jpg
blackmage.jpg

thief.jpg
whitemage.jpg

monk.jpg
timemage.jpg

chemist.jpg
mystic.jpg

archer.jpg
mime.jpg

geomancer.jpg
ninja.jpg

orator.jpg
samurai.jpg

bard.jpg
summoner.jpg

dancer.jpg
arithmetician.jpg

- Summons -

Titan
------
titan.jpg

Sylph
-------
sylph.jpg

Shiva
-------
shiva.jpg

Ramuh
--------
ramuh.jpg

Lich
-----
lich.jpg

Leviathan
-----------
leviathan.jpg

Fairy
------
fairy.jpg

Cyclops
----------
cyclops.jpg

Carbuncle
------------
carbuncle.jpg

- Screens -

fftpsp84.jpg
fftpsp85.jpg

fftpsp87.jpg
fftpsp104.jpg

fftpsp114.jpg
fftpsp117.jpg

fftpsp122.jpg

fftpsp119.jpg

fftpsp123.jpg

croptown--screenshot_large.jpg

- Artwork -

fftpsp_pub02newjyuchuuki_posterillust.jpg

fftpsp29.jpg

- Wallpapers -

fftl13.jpg

fftl52.jpg

fftl32.jpg

fftl42.jpg

fftl22.jpg

==========
~Merchanidse~
==========

FFTACTICS_FIGURINES.jpg

The link to the details of the competition where you can win these figurines: http://www.gamesradar.com/us/psp/ga...001145410486006&releaseId=2006121311445774055

Amir0x

Banned
I'm going to buy this for the translation, and 'cause the guy said Slim eliminates most of the slowdown.

I hope it's not another Valkyrie Profile Lenneth situation overall, though. I didn't buy that for a reason, so I hope I didn't make a mistake pre-ordering this.

Kosma

Banned
Can't believe it's out already. Will have to pick this up sooner or later. Square really knows how to do these remakes imho.

kurahadol

Finally a reason to pick up my PSP again. Can't wait to play this, been putting off playing through FFT again just because of this improved version. Now if only school allowed me more free time...

DarkKyo

Nice post! I want this game to be out now, I need it... I never played the original Tactics, but I LOVED FFTA, and I know that FFTA was a step down from FFT, so I can't wait to get my hands on this remake. And the secret characters are all so awesome...

Darkpen

Banned
Looks so sweet, and I'm surprised at the fact that that chick did Teliko in MPO and Ashe in FFXII.

Also, you didn't close that spoiler tag for Xenosaga.

EviLore said:
15 of your images are broken.
Really, because I can see them :|

Roxas

great thread.

Cant wait for this. Being in Europe, we got the shaft from the original Tactics 9-10 years ago, so i never played it. Should be a lot of fun, and my copy should be here either tomorrow or Thursday.

Phthisis

Oh my lord. Everytime I see screens of the cutscenes or the character art (that Balthier is sick!) I want to cry tears at the sheer beauty of it all.

bryehn

Top Notch voice acting cast. Seems like Kari Whalgreen is in just about every RPG I play.

And I didn't know you could play as Balthier, that's awesome...

Got this on pre-order, hope I can finish Jeanne D'Arc by next week, and FFT by Oct 30 when Disgaea comes out, and that by Nov 5 when Fire Emblem arrives.

One hell of a year for us SRPG fans I tell ya.

Amir0x

Banned
EviLore said:
15 of your images are broken.

maybe not allowed for hotlinking?

I can see them fine, but I recently did the Firefox hotlink fix so maybe that's the reason I can see it and you can't

Kyoufu

Amir0x said:
I'm going to buy this for the translation, and 'cause the guy said Slim eliminates most of the slowdown.

I hope it's not another Valkyrie Profile Lenneth situation overall, though. I didn't buy that for a reason, so I hope I didn't make a mistake pre-ordering this.

The difference between this and Lenneth though is that they've IMPROVED the original game, unlike Lenneth which was a port of the Japanese original which was inferior to the US release. What you're getting in this is the awesome PSone original with more gameplay additions and most importantly, a fracking awesome translation. Sure there is slowdown but I've played the shit out of the Japanese game and the original PSone game to say its not detrimental to the experience at all. Its the sound effects which bother me.

Awesome thread Fady, really amazing post! I'm just waiting for the mailman to bring this baby to me. Going to grind til my own eyes bleed, for sure.

Amir0x

Banned
Kyoufu said:
The difference between this and Lenneth though is that they've IMPROVED the original game, unlike Lenneth which was a port of the Japanese original which was inferior to the US release. What you're getting in this is the awesome PSone original with more gameplay additions and most importantly, a fracking awesome translation. Sure there is slowdown but I've played the shit out of the Japanese game and the original PSone game to say its not detrimental to the experience at all. Its the sound effects which bother me.

Awesome thread Fady, really amazing post! I'm just waiting for the mailman to bring this baby to me. Going to grind til my own eyes bleed, for sure.

it's arguable if they IMPROVED, since FFT in Japan had tons of ridiculous slowdown way more severe than the PSOne version and the music lost so much reverb and depth that it was almost a tragedy.

The slowdown has apparently been improved for US release, still waiting on the my jury on HOW improved.

You may have been able to ignore these issues and think overall it was better, but I definitely could not.

Big-E

oo Kosma oo said:
I don't know why people care about the slowdown so much, it's turn based for christ sake.

When you see it well over a 1000 times in a playthrough it is really annoying.

Darkpen

Banned
Amir0x said:
it's arguable if they IMPROVED, since FFT in Japan had tons of ridiculous slowdown way more severe than the PSOne version and the music lost so much reverb and depth that it was almost a tragedy.

The slowdown has apparently been improved for US release, still waiting on the my jury on HOW improved.

You may have been able to ignore these issues and think overall it was better, but I definitely could not.
I recall Parish saying that the US version has a number of noticable improvements over the Japanese version, though move actions and slowdowns seem to still remain, in comparison to the PS1 original.

If anything, I plan on picking this up because....

...I lost my original copy of FFT...

:(

But anyways, if anything, the one thing I'm going to love about this is that there's voice acting! :O

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kyoufu said:

Um, they added about the same kind of "new" content to VP:L as they did to this FFT "remake." Actually there is no doubt in my mind that this was done by the same team at TOSE.

jiggle

Maximum character limit is now 24, as opposed to 16 in the PSone version

Wow
did not know that. Good news indeed. My last play through, i decided to keep every special characters, but that left me no room for the generic soliders i built up nor animals to poach :/

Fady K

jj984jj said:
Um, they added about the same kind of "new" content to VP:L as they did to this FFT "remake." Actually there is no doubt in my mind that this was done by the same team at TOSE.

Actually JJ, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth had barely anything new outside the 13 new cg cutscenes. It was even based on the inferior Japanese PSone version and had longer load times than the PSone version. This one adds story, scenes, voices to the new scenes, new areas, new battles, new characters, new jobs, 2 multiplayer modes, new items and new accessories. In VP Lenneth, aside the cinemas, it was actually worse than the PSone version.

Amazing OP, Fady.

I won't be picking this up because I know I'll just get to the end of Chapter 3 and stop again, but this is an exciting release for the retranslation alone.

Matix

jj984jj said:

I'm not sure, but I thought that VP:L only offered new pre-rendered cut-scenes. Although with Tactics, you have additional characters, classes, story-arcs, multi-player, etc. Still not worthy of being called much of a remake (or either enough for me to re-purchase this PS1 classic), but at least S-E ("TOSE") put in a bit more effort this time around.

Kyoufu

jj984jj said:

I'm wondering if you know what you're talking about :(

traveler said:
I'm thinking about buying a PSP for this.

This and Jeanne D'arc would go really well with one.

traveler

Not Wario
Kyoufu said:
I'm wondering if you know what you're talking about :(

This and Jeanne D'arc would go really well with one.

Yeah, the TRU deal, if true, means I'll be picking up this alongside Jeanne and Castlevania.

I really want to buy this, as FFT is one of my favorite games, but I just bought my PSP, Daxter, Lumines 2, R&C, Puzzle Quest, HSG, and LocoRoco. A nice problem to have, but it is hard to justify a $39 purchase. I may get it with the Toys R Us 3 for 2 deal, but then that means I will have 3 MORE games that I haven't finished! Argh! :lol

MrDaravon

Man, I'd totally meant to create this thread but forgot :(. You did a very good job though Fady K :D

Also ncsx and play-asia sell those figures.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yes I'm well aware of the Onion Knights, Balthier, the multi-player, etc. It's about as much of a "remake" as the FF GBA ports, Valkyrie Profile and Front Mission DS in my eyes, they all have extra content but as far as I've read they not only play exactly the same way without any significant changes or graphical overhauls, but the assets (textures, sprites, etc.) are heavily from previous versions of these games. Not only that, but in some cases these games are inferior to the game they are based on in certain ways (which is pretty inexcusable). In my eyes, it's a bit of a stretch to call such games remakes in light of Star Ocean First Departure, Dragon Quest IV DS, etc and the only way I'd buy them is if I hadn't played the original. Though I'm glad some new and old people alike will get to play this Matsuno/Itou/Yoshida/Sakimoto masterpiece, it really is a great game.

Great game, just finished the first 2 levels. There is some sow downs, but you won't notice it after a while and its not game braking. The question I have is what is the difference between the EUR and USA game, also, will the saves be compatible?

Elios83

It's a pity that this won't be localized, it will lose a lot of potential sales in Europe (not that the particular genre and being a PSX-age game on PSP would have granted big sales anyway) but it's not basic/modern english either...gosh :D (where's my dictionary?:lol ).
I've already preordered it btw :D :D

Fady K

Dechaios, Roxas, Kyoufu, Segata, Sailor Daravon, Xaekid, thank you all, very much, for the compliments about the thread. I hope you all enjoy this fantastic title.

XHitoshuraX said:
Great Job Fady K, thread is looking good!

Though I'm with EvilLore...15 of those images are broken.

Thanks Hito :D Are the images still broken for you?

MoxManiac said:
Yuri Lownthal AGAIN?! WHAT THE FUCK

The guys everywhere. He was also the original Prince in UBI's Prince of Persia, and right now hes doing voice overs for Bladestorm on the PS3/360.

Matix said:
I'm not sure, but I thought that VP:L only offered new pre-rendered cut-scenes. Although with Tactics, you have additional characters, classes, story-arcs, multi-player, etc. Still not worthy of being called much of a remake (or either enough for me to re-purchase this PS1 classic), but at least S-E ("TOSE") put in a bit more effort this time around.

You're right, aside from new pre-rendered cutscenes, nothing new with VP Lenneth. Great game though.

Matix said:
Also look out for Disgaea by the end of this month ;)

Damn, Disgaea this month as well.

jj984jj said:
Yes I'm well aware of the Onion Knights, Balthier, the multi-player, etc. It's about as much of a "remake" as the FF GBA ports, Valkyrie Profile and Front Mission DS in my eyes, they all have extra content but as far as I've read they not only play exactly the same way without any significant changes or graphical overhauls, but the assets (textures, sprites, etc.) are heavily from previous versions of these games. Not only that, but in some cases these games are inferior to the game they are based on in certain ways (which is pretty inexcusable). In my eyes, it's a bit of a stretch to call such games remakes in light of Star Ocean First Departure, Dragon Quest IV DS, etc and the only way I'd buy them is if I hadn't played the original. Though I'm glad some new and old people alike will get to play this Matsuno/Itou/Yoshida/Sakimoto masterpiece, it really is a great game.

While I agree with you that Tactics PSP isn't a remake by any means, I disagree with it being similiar to the FF GBA ports because theres a lot more content in War of the Lions than in either FFV or VI advance. I mean I think its worthy of being bought by all the FF Tactics fans - especially for the re-translation by the way. Tom has done a phenomenal job. Hope you get to enjoy it as well :D

Looks like you removed the excess pictures. Its a great OT. A different style, but unique in its approach. I like it very much!

Fady K

XHitoshuraX said:
Looks like you removed the excess pictures. Its a great OT. A different style, but unique in its approach. I like it very much!

Thanks a lot man :D Im definitely looking forward to your next OT.

Chris R

DO WANT

Also, I asked about it in another thread, but what would be the best guide to use along side while playing? Thanks in advance.

rhfb said:
DO WANT

Also, I asked about it in another thread, but what would be the best guide to use along side while playing? Thanks in advance.

how about the "don't be a weaksauce and just play the damn game" guide?

you're welcome in advance.

Top Bottom