• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

~ The Official Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions thread ~

Thanks dude.

Edit: beat it last night. Very solid game, but i was totally ready for it to be over by the end. I was still messing around with farming JPs to get some characters to get some jobs, then got sick of it and took the kids gloves off. Went with 3 ninjas, agrias as holy knight and a black mage w/ arithmetic’s.

The ending was weeeird. So the dude's all like:
"i'd totally give my life for hers, cause she's
all rad ans shit," and then when she
stabs him he stabs her back...
the fuck?

Well I just got this the other day and boy is the translation different (Is Rad really Ladd? No way). I feel sort of bad though, I was picking between this, Wild Arms, and Jeanne and I ended up getting this even though I play the original for close to 200 hours - I guess I'm too old and too busy to adapt to anything different these days :(

Anyway on to my questions!

What is the earliest I can get the Blood Sword?

Whats the best way, if any, to make a Geomancer competitive? I always felt I under used it but I could never seem to make it a worth wild member of my team

What the party cap and how many generic characters are there in that cap if you get every special character?

Otheradam

HamPster PamPster said:
Well I just got this the other day and boy is the translation different (Is Rad really Ladd? No way). I feel sort of bad though, I was picking between this, Wild Arms, and Jeanne and I ended up getting this even though I play the original for close to 200 hours - I guess I'm too old and too busy to adapt to anything different these days :(

Anyway on to my questions!

Whats the best way, if any, to make a Geomancer competitive? I always felt I under used it but I could never seem to make it a worth wild member of my team

What the party cap and how many generic characters are there in that cap if you get every special character?

I'm pretty sure that if you want EVERY special character, including the 4 squires you start wtih (Rad, Alicia, etc) then you won't have space for any generics. The 4 you start with are the only ones you'll have space for.

Otheradam said:
I'm pretty sure that if you want EVERY special character, including the 4 squires you start wtih (Rad, Alicia, etc) then you won't have space for any generics. The 4 you start with are the only ones you'll have space for.

That sucks. I was hoping to use more Monsters and do alot more Monster Breeding this time around

I guess I'll have to set up a special save for that in the last chapter

Isn't there a special monster you can only get through breeding?

Grayman

Don't feel bad about Jeanne, it's nice but simple. I put it down after 20 hours and picked FFT back up.
HamPster PamPster said:
That sucks. I was hoping to use more Monsters and do alot more Monster Breeding this time around

I guess I'll have to set up a special save for that in the last chapter

Yes there are some.

Party space I don't know the exact answer. I was trying to figure it out. I think the game adds more slots than characters though. 24 is the limit now. So far I've kept all the starting characters(7?) the chapter 2 semi-generics(radd, L, A) and all the specials I can earn. I counted off anyone coming later that I could think of in my head and would have had some extra space.

The space limit is 24, the old one is 16(?), and there are only a handful of new special characters.

Grayman

I haven't been a user of geomancers myself. They are stuck in clothes and not armor right? A Knight will have more HP and may hit harder. A long bow might do more damage than geomancy at range. I am sure you could make one your fighter and succeed but I do not know of a way to make them kick ass. A subjob geomancy on a stronger fighter would be more effective.

Xaekid

HamPster PamPster said:

1: The earliest... I would say the Golgollada Gallows battle, gotta steal it from Gaffgarion.

2: Geomancers rely on both PA and MA for their attacks, formula is [(PA + 2) / 2] * MA so the best you could do would be increase those stats as much as you can.

3: You can have up to 24 characters now, I have all the special characters (minus Boco, I don't need chocobos in my team) and I have 6 generic characters without counting Ladd, Lavian and Alicia, oh and I have a blue dragon too just for kicks heh.

HamPster PamPster said:

Yes, but back in the day, the only reason you would breed monsters was only for poach purposes, but since multiplayer (both melee or rendezvous) net you some of those items, they are not that hard to get anymore, IF you have someone to play with that is.

Help

I wanted to lower some faith and I learned Enlighten but Speechcraft was still grey / unclickable in battle

Any ideas?

I'm 25 hours in and I'm still on chapter 1 - I'm sort of the compulsive leveler :D

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
is there ANY way to increase the size of the damn text in this game ? i have to keep the psp screen centimeter's away from my eyes to read the words properly ..

kuYuri

chandoog said:
is there ANY way to increase the size of the damn text in this game ? i have to keep the psp screen centimeter's away from my eyes to read the words properly ..

I think you just have bad eyes.

adamsapple

oh i can see it, im complaining about its small size. Its like they didn't optimize it for the smaller PSP screen at all ..

adamsapple

Grayman said:
you didn't optimize your eyes for the small screen.

maybe, i do like to keep the psp a little distance away from my face normally when using it ..

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
I'm gonna give this game another go. Can you FFT vets give me some suggestions as far as characters/jobs to use. I'm gonna make Ramza a Monk ASAP and I definitely want Luso to be one of my mains.

ElyrionX

JonAmikar said:
I'm gonna give this game another go. Can you FFT vets give me some suggestions as far as characters/jobs to use. I'm gonna make Ramza a Monk ASAP and I definitely want Luso to be one of my mains.

My party at the end (Base class and secondary ability):

Ramza (Squire with Dark Sword)
Orlandu (Sword Saint with Item)
Balthier (Sky Pirate with Item)
Reis (Dragoner with Math)
Beowulf (Templar with Punch Arts)

EDIT: As for Luso, he's basically another Ramza which means that he has good all-around stats. You can make him anything you want and he would still be fairly effective at the very least. The Calculator and Dark Knight have very powerful primary abilities so those are the ones you might want to consider.

You will definitely want to unlock the ninja class to get duel wield for Ramza if he is monk that way you get two(!) punches. Also the ninja is a really good class to give jump and equip spear since your jump attacks will charge really quickly with the high speed.

The samurai is also a good class to unlock for draw out and if you give a black mage arcane strength the magic becomes pretty strong (with out that boost I never really found magic worth using). Also, make sure all your mains spend a little bit of time in the Time Mage class to get teleport (which is my favorite movement ability)

Personally I really like the Dancer’s HP attack earlier in the game. It doesn’t do much damage but it hits all the enemies and charges pretty quick, very good for getting those weaken guys that like to run away.

Finally have a sub that can recruit monsters, specifically Chocobos, because the black and red ones (with their long range attacks) rock up until you start getting more of the special characters.

Magnus

What's the final verdict on how the slowdown truly cripples the gameplay experience later on? I fired up the game for the first time in a long time, as I'd forgotten nearly everything about the PSP edition, and I was blown away. I'd forgotten how beautiful the new cutscenes and new translation were. I think they may seriously outweigh slowdown, but I am a framerate/tech whore when it comes to other games, and am bugged by laggy visuals.

ARGH

I think I'm going to stick with this version unless we're literally talking about spells that take 30 seconds to cast.

The ridiculously excellent re-translation and cutscenes really enrich the story that much to me.

I had no idea Balthier guest-starred in this edition. Awesome :D

KZObsessed

Finally finished this game yesterday. It was pretty amazing. The story was interesting, but they introduced so many different characters (sometimes the same ones multiple times when you thought they'd died) that I completely lost track of who was on which side and what their motivations were. Didn't help that I kept putting the game down for months at a time before returning to it, but it didn't matter in the end. The new translation was outstanding. Gameplay wise the ending was a bit of a disappointment, Orlandeau was quite overpowered and I also had Balthier who was a beast with his Barrage skill so the last battles were really quite easy. In fact the last battle I had trouble with was the Wiegraf/Velius series of battles. Chapter IV was no problem at all. Plus the end few battles seemed a little rushed, as did the end sequence itself.

*End spoilers*
I like the whole graveyard scene and the mystery surrounding whether or not Ramza and Alma survived, but what about the other characters? Orran Durai writing an account of what really happened so Ramza would be remembered being burnt as a heretic by the Church was quite sad.

I loved the last scene tho. It saved the entire ending, it made the whole tale very tragic. Ovelia, convinced that Delita would eventually betray her like he did others, (and perhaps now a little crazy) stabs Delita, who pulls out dagger and stabs her back in anger, killing her. Ending with the line: "Did you get your end in all of this, Ramza? I...I got this."

Amazing.

Gonna play Vagrant Story next.

FFObsessed said:
*End spoilers*
I like the whole graveyard scene and the mystery surrounding whether or not Ramza and Alma survived, but what about the other characters? Orran Durai writing an account of what really happened so Ramza would be remembered being burnt as a heretic by the Church was quite sad.

I loved the last scene tho. It saved the entire ending, it made the whole tale very tragic. Ovelia, convinced that Delita would eventually betray her like he did others, (and perhaps now a little crazy) stabs Delita, who pulls out dagger and stabs her back in anger, killing her. Ending with the line: "Did you get your end in all of this, Ramza? I...I got this."

Amazing.

Gonna play Vagrant Story next.

Now you know what you were missing.

You might wanna check a few outside sources before starting Vagrant Story. The game itself never actually tells you how any of its core mechanics work.

Magnus

I was thinking about starting a new thread for it, but it's just a port.

But man, if it includes everything the PSP facelift got, and somehow fixes all of the lag/sound sync issues, best version of FFT confirmed?! :D

Magnus said:
I was thinking about starting a new thread for it, but it's just a port.

But man, if it includes everything the PSP facelift got, and somehow fixes all of the lag/sound sync issues, best version of FFT confirmed?! :D

My iPod Touch 3rd gen is ready.

FFT is a decent SRPG, just suffers from slow combat pacing (and lag, ugh) and easy difficulty.

Roklie

Sorry I bump this old thread but I really need to ask some questions. I'm currently very early in the game (just been to Zeklaus Desert) and I'd like to start to change some jobs in my party, for example one Chemist to a White Mage, but before I do that should I master the Chemist job first or is it okay to just change it to White Mage? There's so much to learn in the Chemist job it'd take an eternity to grind and learn everything..

You really should be switching jobs reasonably frequently, especially early on - that way you can mix and match skills which is the whole point of the Job System. It's a good idea to get a job up to Job Level 4 or so, though, since that'll do more to unlock other jobs for you.

When is the iOS version of this coming out, anyway? I'm hoping that it won't have the slowdown issues that the PSP version's got, which might actually (!!!) make it the definitive version of Final Fantasy Tactics, even if it doesn't have battle quotes.

I am reviving this thread for a few questions as i am currently going through this great game for the very first time (WotL PSP)

Currently on Chapter 2 right after Mustadio joined my party for good!

- I heard about a certain hard fight with Wiegraf/someone else that you should make sure to save beforehand... when will this be just so i don't gimp myself?

- Are there missable sidequests or whatever? Just in case i would miss getting Balthier, you DO get him through a sidequest right? Also: should i just do ALL sidequests i can find or not worth the trouble?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Balither is Chapter 4. You're Chapter 2. Don't worry about that Sidequest yet. Same for what's-her-faces Lipstick present.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
For Wiegraf, just make sure that you have multiple saves and at least one of those saves has access to the world map and you'll be fine.

thanks but i'd still like to know more or less WHEN this occurs so i can pay extra attention to the saves etc.

chapter 3? 4?

sikkinixx

Winnie the Pimp said:
thanks but i'd still like to know more or less WHEN this occurs so i can pay extra attention to the saves etc.

chapter 3? 4?

It's towards the end of chapter 3 I believe.

The location on the map is called
Riovanes Castle

Don't sweat it too much. Just make sure Ramza can heal himself quickly is all. You can exploit it SUPER easily if you have a lot of trouble though.

Also, re:side quests. The problem with them is, most give you unique characters to add to your party. However, by time you get most of them, your default party members are crazy strong so you would have to spent hours grinding out the skills for your unique members. I find it not worth it save one which comes in very late in the game.

Grayman

Winnie the Pimp said:
I am reviving this thread for a few questions as i am currently going through this great game for the very first time (WotL PSP)

Currently on Chapter 2 right after Mustadio joined my party for good!

- I heard about a certain hard fight with Wiegraf/someone else that you should make sure to save beforehand... when will this be just so i don't gimp myself?

- Are there missable sidequests or whatever? Just in case i would miss getting Balthier, you DO get him through a sidequest right? Also: should i just do ALL sidequests i can find or not worth the trouble?
If you are enjoying the battle system you will probably do most of the side quests without thinking about it much.

Anytime the game asks you "do you want to save" after a battle use a separate file because you are going to be pushed into a battle harder than the last. Other than those situations I think you always have at least one random battle and a shop available.

Grayman said:
If you are enjoying the battle system you will probably do most of the side quests without thinking about it much.

Anytime the game asks you "do you want to save" after a battle use a separate file because you are going to be pushed into a battle harder than the last. Other than those situations I think you always have at least one random battle and a shop available.

actually with "sidequests" i mean those that you accept in a tavern and you send some of your guys away on that mission... you don't actually get to fight but wait for the results, isn't that you recruit Balthier later on?

Grayman

Winnie the Pimp said:
actually with "sidequests" i mean those that you accept in a tavern and you send some of your guys away on that mission... you don't actually get to fight but wait for the results, isn't that you recruit Balthier later on?
I do not remember doing those for Balthier but I have only done his side quest once in War of the Lions.

You do not have to do all of the send away jobs. Doing that could take forever.

Off the top of my head the main missable things are:
-buy a flower in a dialogue scene
-must keep mustadio and some other special characters in the party

Top Bottom