• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Folklore/Folksoul Thread - One fantasy can transform a million realities

tanod

when is my burrito
donkey show said:
I'm very surprised at how well this was all put together considering this isn't one of their AAAAAA titles (might as well should be though). The karma unlocking fulfills the completionist in me and the difficulty is amped just right. The third boss was fucking annoying though. Oh yeah, the music continues to play in my head over and over again. I want the OST.

This game deserves sales x 1000, period.

I really think that this game deserved a slightly bigger budget so they could have fleshed out the presentation with full voice acting and cut-scenes. That would have made it a AAA title.
As it stands, Folklore is my sleeper hit of the year. Never expected it to be so good.

Nolan.

!!!I love this game it's such a shame it didn't get a much bigger budget as mentioned before because it turned out to be such a charming game in all I feel. I thought the ending was really sweet and I love the way they left it open. Anyway I hope that even if it doesn't get a lot of sales Sony allows these guys a sequel with more ammo I think this is my fav current gen rpg.

Few complaints one being I had to do a couple of things all over again at the end because there is no save point between two of the bosses and you have to crawl through the dungeon. The other being I wish they gave you more incentive to go after rare folks. And lastly the text i'm a bit torn on I love the idea but think they should have mixed in more cutscenes in there but it was brilliant for telling the story though. Love this game!.

Edit: I also forgot the toggling between characters it was ok for the first two chapters but after that it's slightly annoying. I think they should have done it how they did it towards the end both in the same chapter and you toggle there.

Kweh

Seems to be a green coloured crystal on Keats' second realm that I can't break, do I come back later then? It's blocking the way, and the only thing left for me to do in this realm is defeat the Folklore.

Nolan.

Kweh said:
Seems to be a green coloured crystal on Keats' second realm that I can't break, do I come back later then? It's blocking the way, and the only thing left for me to do in this realm is defeat the Folklore.

I can't remember a green crystal in warcadia (or any realm for that matter) it's usually gold=earth, blue= ice or water grey= smashed by any, yellow=wind and purple=electricity.

Kweh

Nolan. said:
I can't remember a green crystal in warcadia (or any realm for that matter) it's usually gold=earth, blue= ice or water grey= smashed by any, yellow=wind and purple=electricity.

Hmm, will go have a look when I next play, it was early morning, maybe my eyes weren't functioning properly...looked green to me!

Nolan.

Kweh said:
Hmm, will go have a look when I next play, it was early morning, maybe my eyes weren't functioning properly...looked green to me!

There might be who knows but I can't remember one. At a couple points I couldn't tell the colours till I moved a lot close like in the later realms (I played it a lot at nights). I also forgot that red=fire.

Kweh

Well crappy camera pic, but i seem to have come across these "green" crystals again, but this time with Ellen.

111t2ra.jpg

Nolan.

Kweh said:
Ahh they're Wind - Ellen has Boobrie :)
Will have to see what Keats has when i go back to him then

Yeah they're yellow you, I can't remember if keats has any wind type elementals though.

Obaid

Banned
I have just played throw the demo yesterday and i cannot understand how this game can get a score like 70 or below. Game doenst start very fast but if you start to play a Japaneses game shouldn't expect that at all. I was totally blown away by the art style of this game and the way they tell the story.

Of course voice acting would be great but somehow i had the feeling of reading a fantasy book this way. The way they tell the story is similar to japanese anime movies like chihiro and stuff and it is very lovely and easy to follow.

The graphics have been mind blowing in some party, other parts have been allright. Anyway I will buy this game for sure and i am really looking forward to all that DLC stuff.

Nolan.

Obaid said:
I have just played throw the demo yesterday and i cannot understand how this game can get a score like 70 or below. Game doenst start very fast but if you start to play a Japaneses game shouldn't expect that at all. I was totally blown away by the art style of this game and the way they tell the story.

Of course voice acting would be great but somehow i had the feeling of reading a fantasy book this way. The way they tell the story is similar to japanese anime movies like chihiro and stuff and it is very lovely and easy to follow.

The graphics have been mind blowing in some party, other parts have been allright. Anyway I will buy this game for sure and i am really looking forward to all that DLC stuff.

Yeah I thought the way they chose to tell the story was rather unique and it works rather well too. The only complaint I have with it though is that sometimes it stretches for too long and you're dying for a cutscene to kick in, maybe that's because iv'e grown so used to cutscenes or my eyes were rather tired at points and would have love switcing to my ears. The story also even now I still keep thinking about how nicely put together that was also for a game that doesn't seem to be rated that well.

By the way I liked Ellen's final costume transformation (thats another thing I like about this game the costumes) I wish you were able to change your cloaks whenever you want without having to run to a portal though.

Kweh

In the Waterworld, and these Folk's that put you to sleep, whats the best method to kill them? I have the Fairy Cloak and it still puts me to sleep, they are really really annoying me.

Nolan.

Kweh said:
In the Waterworld, and these Folk's that put you to sleep, whats the best method to kill them? I have the Fairy Cloak and it still puts me to sleep, they are really really annoying me.

Do you mean cu saith (think its called)?You have to bound them to the floor so if doing it with ellen you could use that folk that throws down sticky stuff or the spider like one thats found in the water world that spits out a sticky substance. If playing with Keats I think you have to use asrai or anwyn or a fire folk I think the latter is more correct can't remember for sure. I don't think the fairy cloak is immune to their song plus they get even more annoying when you cross a room thats almost littered with them.

As Ellen, you can use the Folk from the waterworld that buries itself (and spits out goo) to kill those Cu Saith in one hit (so you can absorb them). However, the really tough part is completing the karma requirements for some of the monsters that need you to kill Selphis/Cu Saiths. BTW, they aren't putting you to sleep, they're charming you.

This is all assuming, of course, that we're talking about the same beasties.

tehbear

World 4 has the best art of all of them. A shame it was so short.

More stats I think would have sold more people on the game, it's all too easy to skip through everything.

Kweh

Thanks, figured it out aswell from the Folk book!

But i am on the boss now, he's pretty annoying. I'm playing as Ellen, and from what I've figured out, I am electricuting its tail, and it slows down, but not sure what to do then?

Kweh

How do you capture one of these Padfoots as Keats in Endless Corridoor? The artbook looks like its telling you to use an Answerer but I can't get near the Padfoot when it's light is red, the ground shaking pushes me away?

ChryZ

OMG, I love this game: the music, the art direction, the character designs, the gameplay in the netherworld, the story telling in doolin ... and yes, even the comic book cut scenes.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
hey guys, how are you playing it? you change characters between chapters ? or you do all chapters of either of them and then start the other one?

I already did one chapter each and I think the story wants me to start with Ellen. When I went to suzzete with Keith chapter 1, she already knew the story. Now I played Ellen chapter 1 and thats how suzzete knew.
So, chapter 1 Ellen, then chapter 1 Keith.

also, my book pictures have text in Japanese! is it supposed to be like that?

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Aeon712 said:
Is anybody else getting a slight pause in the action with Keats when he transforms or sometimes picks up a new folk? It keeps happening to me and is getting annoying since it's not happening to Sutdawg.

happens to me when I capture folks too close to them..... Or is it when i capture the first folk of each kind?
Certainly not always! but it happens with both keith and ellen

ChryZ

spyshagg said:
hey guys, how are you playing it? you change characters between chapters ? or you do all chapters of either of them and then start the other one?

I already did one chapter each and I think the story wants me to start with Ellen. When I went to suzzete with Keith chapter 1, she already knew the story. Now I played Ellen chapter 1 and thats how suzzete knew.

I like to alternate between them and yes it's best to start off with Ellen.

Do you mean the hint book? It's all faery scribbling in my US/NTSC copy of the game, the pictograms are the key.

tehbear

spyshagg said:

I am playing Ellen and my friend is playing Keats. He is jealous of the greater variety of my folks compared to his :D

tanod

when is my burrito
ChryZ said:
I like to alternate between them and yes it's best to start off with Ellen.

I started off that way for the first two chapters but I think once I start playing again, I'll just be playing through with Ellen first and get as far as I can. Then, go back to Keats.

lorddct

tanod said:
I started off that way for the first two chapters but I think once I start playing again, I'll just be playing through with Ellen first and get as far as I can. Then, go back to Keats.

You will not be able to finish Ellen's story until Keats catches up to the same chapter.

And the story is better told when you see both sides of the story.

tanod

when is my burrito
lorddct said:
You will not be able to finish Ellen's story until Keats catches up to the same chapter.

And the story is better told when you see both sides of the story.

I know and I agree but I want the game to be as fun as possible.

The jumping back and forth does get to me a little bit because it makes it harder to keep track of what creatures I have and what level they are. I really like to level up my stuff right away so to level up the same creatures and then go back and have to do the process again (even though it's slightly different) doesn't bother me now. But I'm getting the feeling that it will later on in the game.

jiggle

Finally started playing this. I kinda wish I hadn't play the 2 demos so much. Made the beginning kind of a drag. Starting to pick up in chapter 1 though.
I'm gonna try to alternate between the 2 character's chapters, although I find Keats' highly uninteresting :/.

Some of Keats' chapters are more interesting than Ellen's chapters.. especially when
he starts digging into her past..
The difference in perspective is very important to the game and to the story.

Having just finished it tonight, I would have to agree with IGN's 9.0 rating whole-heartedly except for a few frustrating battles which dragged my enjoyment down a bit.

Folklore is one of the most original and unique games I've ever played and I feel that it has earned a permanent slot in my PS3 collection.

ChryZ

Finished the game last night. Sleeper hit confirmed ... the game is totally underrated. Anyone who enjoyed the demo(s) to some degree should buy this game.

Oh and btw, the song "Nephilim" IS in the US/NA version of the game, nice surprise
(at the end of the ending credits)

diddlyD

Banned
i just finally finished the game, 35 hours to do all the side quests and unlock every folk's karma. the ending was awesome. the whole game was awesome. blew away what i was expecting. it kept getting better and better. a lot of the environments and creatures in this game are just drop dead gorgeous, especially later on.

all you new ps3 owners need to really give this game a shot. try the demo, if you like it, the game is 10x better, long, and very much buy worthy. this game, with the proper hype, could/should have been a million seller, and totally deserved it.

diddlyD said:
i just finally finished the game, 35 hours to do all the side quests and unlock every folk's karma. the ending was awesome. the whole game was awesome. blew away what i was expecting. it kept getting better and better. a lot of the environments and creatures in this game are just drop dead gorgeous, especially later on.

all you new ps3 owners need to really give this game a shot. try the demo, if you like it, the game is 10x better, long, and very much buy worthy. this game, with the proper hype, could/should have been a million seller, and totally deserved it.
Agreed x 10. The last boss battle is fucking epic.

Abolisher

So I just purchased this game yesterday and I decided to start off with Ellen. I have no problems with anything so far, except I cant seem to acquire one folk
in the fairy world, since he seems to keep dieing everytime
but ill figure that out eventually.

So
trying to figure out how Suzettes dad was murdered, I find it somewhat funny how he managed to write an entire letter and place it in a bottle after falling from such a high cliff.:lol
Im assuming
it was the mom that ended up pushing the dad off the cliff, because that wasnt really explained very well. The only thing shown is some blonde haired woman arguing with Suzettes dad when he suddenly falls off. You'd think he'd write an angrier letter warning Suzette or telling her how her mom killed him.

Well, im now at Ch2 so I guess its either keep playing Ellen or start with Kieth.

Did I mention just how good the music in this game is, I just cant get enough of it.

Wow just picked this up.

This game is nicely put together. At first I thought I would not care about how they put the story together (meaning being too thin to garner my interest).

However, I am enjoying where this is going so far as a storyline.

Its funny that Ellen has like 10 slots for different costumes and Keats has what? 2-3 slots?

I like this a lot so far though only on level 2.

jax (old)

Banned
Um,

Having trouble with the side to side R1 captures. I did the first 2-3 alright but then I've been having extreme difficulty with the subsequent Folks. I wonder if my shockaxis is broke. You're went to swing one way, then the other no? Its just not behaving.

Got to warcadia, I'm quite digging the game.

* gotta say, the audio work in this game is quite nice. I think the piano theme in town is quite lovely.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Picked this up a few months ago during a TRU deal. I've always been meaning to start it up, but... *shrugs* One day. Some day.

leroidys

Oni Jazar said:
Open it. You'll get your money's worth.

I'm not so much worried about getting $5 worth, but rather if its worth the time against my GAF sized backlog, and I'm just trying to play really cohesive great games. It seems like people are divided as to whether this games flaws are experience ruining irritants or if the experience is worth it overall. How long does a playthrough run?

mattp

picked this up in the bargain section for 20 bucks at walmart a couple weeks ago, anyone who hasnt gotten this has no excuse now

i've wanted to play this since it came out, and for some reason i never ended up buying it, and then i got caught up in other games

finally playing it now and it is fucking FANTASTIC. such a shame no one even knows it exists.

Balya

leroidys said:
I'm not so much worried about getting $5 worth, but rather if its worth the time against my GAF sized backlog, and I'm just trying to play really cohesive great games. It seems like people are divided as to whether this games flaws are experience ruining irritants or if the experience is worth it overall. How long does a playthrough run?

It took me a little less than 19 hours to do everything but the crazy completionist stuff, and I take my time with games.

Okay, I bought this recently (new copy) and it doesn't work properly.

Like, it'll hang for several minutes when booting up (black screen). If left for about fifteen mitues, you'll reach the splash screens and title screen. When Installing the game, it hangs after 2%. I left it running overnight and it did not pass 2%.

I'm on a PS3 Slim with 3.01.

Is this a generalized problem with Slims or just a defective disc?
In other words, should I return it for another copy and expect that copy to work, or just get my money back?

Tannhauser

Neo Member
I don't think there should be any reason that a specific hardware revision like the PS3 Slim would be relevant. It's probably the disc itself, so I'd return it for another copy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just got this (again) for 15 at the Gamecrazy 60% off sale. Such an overlooked gem. Great murder mystery undead realm fantasy RPG.

Top Bottom