• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Folklore/Folksoul Thread - One fantasy can transform a million realities

Dante

LiquidMetal14 said:
More peoples need to buy this game. It is such a surprise. The story is great so far. Love the murder investigation aspects.

Love the murder mystery aspect. The music is top notch also, hope they put it up on iTunes like the LAIR soundtrack.

Dante said:
Love the murder mystery aspect. The music is top notch also, hope they put it up on iTunes like the LAIR soundtrack.
Yeah, the tune from the Faery realm keeps playing in my head. Awesome music. :D

Just came back from the TRU sale and there was no sign of Folklore. The sale ends before Ratchet and VF5 ver. C come out so I ended up going with 3 other games. Hopefully this game is in stock when I stop back there this Friday/Saturday.

inner-G

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
I'm not that dumb.

Well I guess it has to be a naff controller. Bleh.

You might try resetting the SIXAXIS settings/memory/confusing thing.

There's a very, very, tiny hole on the back of the SIXAXIS. Depressing it for a few seconds resets the controller.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I didn't get it day one but I picked it up today. My hype had died down somewhat but tonight I'm looking forward to playing it. Sometimes this forum can kill your anticipation for a game (and sometimes overly stimulate it).

tehbear

Dante said:

It's released in Japan, you can buy it from any CD import site.

klee123

Some of my tips are:

1. Use the lock on target function, as it is insanely useful against big enemies.

2. The hint books are also incredibly useful for bosses.

3. Try to do as many optional quests for more powerups and hidden folks.

That's about it really.

klee123 said:
Some of my tips are:

1. Use the lock on target function, as it is insanely useful against big enemies.

2. The hint books are also incredibly useful for bosses.

3. Try to do as many optional quests for more powerups and hidden folks.

That's about it really.

Good Idea.

I haven't picked up the game yet, but I was wondering something. Does anyone know why the name of the town in Ireland was changed for the US release?

Also, the Asian version is English-subtitled? Because it appears I could pick it up from PA for cheaper than the US one.

dfyb

Banned
as ellen i'm at the boss that is like a
room with eyes and a mouth and i have no idea what folk i'm supposed to use against the eyes. it looks like a fish in the picture book but my missle fish and the electric fish don't do anything. is it possible that i can't progress unless i go back and capture some folk i'm missing?

edit: nvm. beat it.
the bubble guy can do it

klee123

Valkyr Junkie said:
I haven't picked up the game yet, but I was wondering something. Does anyone know why the name of the town in Ireland was changed for the US release?

Also, the Asian version is English-subtitled? Because it appears I could pick it up from PA for cheaper than the US one.

The Asian version is basically the US version, but also with the Japanese intro. To me, it's the best version, which also happens to be the cheapest as well.

Loudninja said:
Why is this game being ignore?Is it because of the devs who made Genji, or the lack of fucking market by Sony?

A combination of both

Dante

tehbear said:
It's released in Japan, you can buy it from any CD import site.

What are CD's? ;)

Oh yeah I also want toknow why they changed the name of the villiage to Doolin, I liked Lemmerick better.

dfyb

Banned
Loudninja said:
Why is this game being ignore?Is it because of the devs who made Genji, or the lack of fucking market by Sony?
it's a niche title. a great game, but still niche. i'm having a blast with it.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Loudninja said:

It's kind of an offbeat title by a developer that isn't exactly proven.

The game is solid with some beautiful visuals. PS3 at this stage really needs "wow, oh my god" titles before games like this can find their market IMO. So I think you're right on both your thoughts, PS3 market isn't big enough to support it and it's a solid game by a very unspectacular developer.

Loudninja said:

It is because it is unique and it isn't a traditonal game casual gamers eat up(FPS, sports, licensed crap, etc). Aren't we used to this by now? Everyone should experience this game. It is amazing. Admitedly, Sony's marketing for this game doesn't exist.

icechai

Loudninja said:

Too expensive to market a niche game from a unknown company. Plus their marketing budget went towards Heavenly Sword and will undoubtedly go to R&C and Uncharted.

Surfheart

Sin said:
Just got the EU retail version, disappointed that the booklet is in black & white. ; ;

Every PS3 game I own, even first party stuff, have black and white manuals. This is in Australia. Pretty dissapointing. I know manuals aren't really a big thing anymore, but I personally like them.

White Man

I really turned to disliking this game after a pretty promising start. It started out so promising, nice concept and all, but there are just lots of little things that while not game breaking in themselves, the add up into game-sapping suckiness.

Also, this has the worst localization since, I dunno, like Rule of Rose (although I might be remembering some other 3rd rate horror game that was similar). It feels like they got a computer to translate the script, and then got some non-native speaker that took English in high school to smooth over the edges.

I like the music, though. I also dig the vaguely Silent Hilly vibe that you get. That's more towards the very beginning of the game, but still nice. It's also present in some of the music.

My major problems with the game are the lacking interface and the lack of variety. There is no easy way to compare many monsters at once when selecting them. I mean compare meaningful info, like attack ratings and elemental abilities and leveling requirements. If the monsters had more of individual identities, this might not be much of a problem. By the 5th world, picking my loadout is really taking more time than t's worth, if I want things optimized. Luckily the game is, for the most part, easy enough to rush through, which is another problem.

The first world took the longest to get through by far, because I actually bothered with releasing karma, and trying to level a bit. That world took me maybe 3-4ish hours, but every one since has taken me maybe a quarter of that time, some cases left. The use of making the player replay old levels as a game extending device is an old one, but games generally don't spring that much-hated chestnut right from the beginning of the game. SH4, the most recent worst offender (up until Folklore) at least let you progress a bit in the game first.

I dunno. I wanted to like it, and I even did a bit at first.

tanod

when is my burrito
Loudninja said:

How about a fuck-ton of other games being released around it?

white man said:
Also, this has the worst localization since, I dunno, like Rule of Rose (although I might be remembering some other 3rd rate horror game that was similar). It feels like they got a computer to translate the script, and then got some non-native speaker that took English in high school to smooth over the edges.

You haven't played Blue Dragon then. The VA and dialogue and other localization-type stuff gives me nightmares.

What dfyb said. It will sort them into attack types, blocking, elements by pressing a button. Makes it very easy to set up your combinations. You can also save presets of Folks so if you find one that works in a particular realm, you should be able to save that in case you go back to it.

I'm on the first chapter with Keats after playing through it with Ellen and man the game is alot of fun. Love the mystery, the story, the intrigue, just everything about this game comes together and shines. Its one of the most unique and interesting games I've played in a longgggg time. Its amazing when something so fresh is released onto the gaming world. Unfortunatly, it seems these types hardly ever get the recognition they deserve.

White Man said:

You've obviously never played blue dragon. And the localization isn't terrible, its given a specific Celtic-ish feeling. And if you let the localization in ROR stop you from enjoying the game, I weep for you.

Oneself

Wow, I just did the first 2 hours of the game and it's really, really good. Better than expected actually, I played both the Jap and NA demos but I wasn't quite hooked. I decided to buy it on release just because.. and I'm surprised, it sucked me in right from the start, which didn't happen with the demo. I love seeing the village at daylight and the lighting makes some parts look simply amazing (like the henge and the watch tower).

And.... so far I'd say it's the best VG soundtrack I've heard this year... too bad sales will probably fail miserably.

Oneself said:
Wow, I just did the first 2 hours of the game and it's really, really good. Better than expected actually, I played both the Jap and NA demos but I wasn't quite hooked. I decided to buy it on release just because.. and I'm surprised, it sucked me in right from the start, which didn't happen with the demo. I love seeing the village at daylight and the lighting makes some parts look simply amazing (like the henge and the watch tower).

And.... so far I'd say it's the best VG soundtrack I've heard this year... too bad sales will probably fail miserably.

The Music is absolutely ridiculous lol

patsu

I actually bite off more than I can chew at this moment. Thought this game is only a collection of SIXAXIS encounters against folks. Just realized 3 days ago that I also have to solve the mystery of Ellen's mother's death.

That's going to be rather time consuming for me. >_<
... but I'm digging the mood/personality of the game, and the action.
The game exudes nostalgia (It reminds me of old RPG games for some reason).

tehbear

I find some minibosses harder than the actual boss. I think I am just not as careful as I should be though.

I hate that stupid Warcadia tankfolk and his machine gun, always shooting me mid attack while the camera goes nutty in the corner. Using a Barghest is easier and faster than the method the pages suggested too...

NoirYuki

klee123 said:
The music is by Kenji Kawai.

Among others. His bits are by far my favorites, though. I would have loved it if he did the entire soundtrack. Ever since Higurashi, I'm feeling him more and more.

SaitoH

Ok, asked a few days ago, but I ended up finding a much easier way to get Sefro:

Sefro requires sleep and using Caitsith required me to knock her out of the air first before using Caitsith's agonizingly slow casting attack. It became frustrating to say the least so I had given up. I went back when I got Habetrot and it was easy since he's so large, his sleep would knock Sefro right out of the air. So just sleep Sefro, dispatch adds, take her soul. Now I just need 8 more purple stones. pfft.

Ps. Whiteman makes some good points. but For me, I find myself really enjoying collecting and maxing all the creatures, aspect. I definitely won't be satisfied till I've completed everything. Oh, and although they should of included actual stats, definitely sort by element because it helps a lot. The creature inventory gets borderline ridiculous by chapter 4/5.

Certainly wish the localization was better though ...

Forsete

Gold Member
Got the game today.. I only played the dudemans intro, but so far it seems very nice.

I'll play the girls intro tomorrow (does the game let you switch back and forth even when you have started playing the chapters for realz?), and then probably wait for the weekend so I can get into the game better.

u_neek

Hmm, I actually like the Doolin bits more than all that supernatural fairy stuff.

The village is so atmospheric and I wish they would just have made a detective story taking place in and around Doolin.

Not too many folks talking about this game anymore. The only reason I haven't is because I have not had much time to play it. Sat down this afternoon and put a bit of a dent into the game, I got to the third world with Ellen and even completed the three quests she had available at the time.

Still loving it, and each new world makes me wish I had an HDTV to play this game on. Folklore's just so fucking gorgeous.

How many people have tried their hand at the dungeon trial mode? I've been meaning to giveit a spin but thought I should make some progress through the main game in case that's necessary to unlock stuff for dungeon creation.

tanod

when is my burrito
jaundicejuice said:
Not too many folks talking about this game anymore. The only reason I haven't is because I have not had much time to play it. Sat down this afternoon and put a bit of a dent into the game, I got to the third world with Ellen and even completed the three quests she had available at the time.

Still loving it, and each new world makes me wish I had an HDTV to play this game on. Folklore's just so fucking gorgeous.

I picked it up too and I'm really enjoying it so far. I enjoyed the demos and the game lives up to them and then some. I got about as far as you did. Today was the first time I got to play it too. I'm getting a good feeling about the story. It really is a lot deeper than I expected.

My only complaint is that not all of the cutscenes and conversations have VA. So disappointing since what is there is soooo good. Maybe they needed a bigger budget. :(

klee123

Man, I take back what I said earlier. Ellen's folks are way more fun to play as. With keats, most of his folks acts as an extension of his movement, whilst Ellen actually summons the entire folk with usually a unique attack.

But yeah, having heaps of fun the game. If I had any grips with the game so far, it's probably the average production values, especially with the voice acting.

tanod said:
My only complaint is that not all of the cutscenes and conversations have VA. So disappointing since what is there is soooo good. Maybe they needed a bigger budget. :(

The only reason why the lack of voice acting in every cutscene bothers me is it would have helped time out the comic book panel scenes better. Sometimes you're left hanging with word balloons consisting of nothing more than some exclamation points while others with whole lines can go flying by. Yeah, you can rewind the scenes but you should not have to do that. The comic book panel cutscenes are a neat concept for presentation but the occassionally off timing mars the idea. Voice acting would have just helped space it out properly.

I just got to the
Faery Lord
boss battle so I'm nearly at the end. So far this game has been an absolute treat and one of the best released this year. Too bad it'll sell about a grand total of 43 copies.:(

patsu

Systems_id said:
I just got to the
Faery Lord
boss battle so I'm nearly at the end. So far this game has been an absolute treat and one of the best released this year. Too bad it'll sell about a grand total of 43 copies.:(

:lol 44 ! My friend bought one by mistake.

But seriously, it's a gem. Pick it up if you can afford to.

Top Bottom