• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Folklore/Folksoul Thread - One fantasy can transform a million realities

ChryZ

Mesijs said:
I also don't like the fact that the world is built up of small 'rooms' and 'corridors' with loading screens in between. I hate it. PS3 should have the power to create much bigger worlds without loading screen, with some streaming or something. The loading screens are kind of irritating. I also don't like the fact that the minimap combined with the camera angle let's you confused on where you go sometimes. The Genji-system, which is bad.
The 'rooms' and 'corridors' issue is clearly a design decision/problem by the dev. Well, maybe it's just incompetence ... but I doubt that.

Mesijs

XHitoshuraX said:
I agree mostly with this actually lol The "corridor" game play sort of comes with the whole package so it isn't any use to fight it in my opinion. What did you think of the plot, of the characters? I for one was quite impressed...

And the camera system IS NOWHERE NEAR as horrible as it was in Genji 1 & 2.

Point is, that those corridors are, in gameplay perspective, not necessary at all. Only thing is that the enemies have to respawn and that they won't walk to other areas, but they could find something else on it. It's just annoying to walk a bit and have this loading screen AGAIN. Also, the world doesn't feel open now.

Well, I have only played in the first world yet, I'm just before my first boss and almost have all folks there. So I can't say a lot about the characters and the plot. It feels cheesy, but I'm interested, so it's a good thing.

The camera isn't as horrible as Genji on PS3, I still have nightmares of that one. :lol It works most of the time and you can turn it yourself quite ok, but there are too many situations that it doesn't work as it should.

I do love all the folks. I love the folk that
blows himself up like a hedgehog, the black one with horns. It's so great. :D

Until now, I also like Sixaxis implementation to extract and capture folks id's. I don't know if it gets more complicated with bosses, so I don't have the final judgment. But on normal enemies so far, it just feels spot-on.

The Sixaxis control is the best implementation of the technology so far. As for boss encounters, each boss requires as specific stragety (as seen in the Demo).

I'd say my favorite Realm so far is Waratia...WWI FTW

Videos will be added today...

Kweh

djkimothy said:
European box art looks better IMO. And nice thread! I always enjoy the effort in your official threads XHitoshuraX.

Yea, one thing I hate about the European packaging is the game title in horrible bold white text on the spine.

Mesijs

I played a little bit more until I defeated the first boss with both characters. It's kind of cheap that you play the same level with both characters. I know they play different and have different folks, but it still feels cheap.

I like the different folks and the images in the notebook on how to defeat folks.

The game truly has a unique feel, but I'm still not sure if it holds up well in the gameplay department. There are obviously some flaws.

Mesijs said:
I played a little bit more until I defeated the first boss with both characters. It's kind of cheap that you play the same level with both characters. I know they play different and have different folks, but it still feels cheap.

I like the different folks and the images in the notebook on how to defeat folks.

The game truly has a unique feel, but I'm still not sure if it holds up well in the gameplay department. There are obviously some flaws.

It starts to pick up after the First Realm. I truly have to mimic IGN's point though; the level of detail is spectacular. Each realm is given it's own ridiculous amount of personality which helps to break up some of the "corridor" feeling the game has.

Fady K

XHitoshuraX said:
It starts to pick up after the First Realm. I truly have to mimic IGN's point though; the level of detail is spectacular. Each realm is given it's own ridiculous amount of personality which helps to break up some of the "corridor" feeling the game has.

Great. The corridor issue got me just a tad worried but this is good to know. I also agree on the Sixaxis implementation - better than previous efforts IMO.

WYWY

Ah just some contributions.

In general, the game is meh if played from a 'pure action gaming fighter/warrior' perspective. Not much satisfaction from melee, dodging, timing, etc. elements commonly associated with that genre.

The game becomes good if played from a 'spellcaster' perspective. Less action/melee-centric except dodging enemies. Let loose those folks on enemies - spellcaster-style. 'Action gaming' is not the point. Figuring out the most efficient combinations of folks and strategy for different scenarios is the point.

How early reviews associate 'unique combat' to this is misleading. Nothing unique here. The whole point of the game are the puzzles in combat. You can still muscle through without trying to experiment for the best folks to use - but the experience won't be rewarding.

Gamers who like to think and strategize will like this - as it's pretty natural for them to pause and think about best approaches, optimum methods, etc. Gamers who adore exercises in hand-eye-coordination and finger reflexes without much thinking to interrupt them - you probably won't like this.

As a side note Ellen gets more folks than Keats. For her, it's possible to come up with 2 or 3 strategies for any scenario - interesting to see people come up with different strategies for the same scenario. Keats however, gets the transcension mode and his folks are usually more 'direct-offensive-centric'.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Since I played the U.S the demo I want to play more of this game but there are just so many great games coming out. Still I will buy it the art on this game is freaking amazaing hopefully it will be awesome.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn a 9 from IGN that's freaking nice hopefully this game will build enough hype that it sells well enough, I don't want this game to fail it has too much awesome art to let it die.

Fady K

What the?? I did not expect that score from IGN at ALL. What an awesome review. Now I want it even more. My God - I cant believe this and Final Fantasy Tactics PSP on the same day. Wow.

tehbear

This makes that 5.0 review all the more baffling. I always imagined this was a 9/10 game to me, and maybe a 7.5/8 game to people who aren't just absolutely FLOORED by the theme. But 5... man you had to seriously be bored of the gameplay from a month long Kameo marathon and be disgusted with the artwork for a 5.

I think this just shows how much of an "art piece" this game really is. It seems to just pull some reviewers in, while others are uninterested. People seem all too eager to agree on bland oversaturated HDR games of today, while this leaves them something to ponder, gaze upon, and perhaps enjoy.

Kaako said:

That video review was fantastic but that Ryan guy needs to stop reviewing games in his sleep, Dont sound too excited now buddy.

The game came out of nowhere for me I wasnt expecting such high praise but it will be the perfect thing to bide my time waiting for Ratchet.

AltogetherAndrews said:
'tis a shame it's an IGN score
True True but it could be worse it could be a Gamepro review.

I should hope that the rest of the week will produce the other main reviews....gotta love how IGN is praised when it scores a popular game and wtfomg???? when its an unpopular one.

XHitoshuraX said:
I should hope that the rest of the week will produce the other main reviews....gotta love how IGN is praised when it scores a popular game and wtfomg???? when its an unpopular one.

I can assure you that I rarely, if ever, praise IGN

This game deserves so much more attention. I'm buying this day one, now.

Question: Did the SMT creator make this game? I think I heard this before, but I just want to make sure.

Lo-Volt

TrueReligion said:
This game deserves so much more attention. I'm buying this day one, now.

Question: Did the SMT creator make this game? I think I heard this before, but I just want to make sure.

I believe so.

Roxas

Pleasently suprised by the IGN review after the worrying Eurogamer and GamesTM reviews. I enjoyed the 2 demos so far so i'll probably pick this up the week it comes out. It reminds me of Kameo, which was an enjoyable game in my eyes..

the_id

Already in love with this game. Especially Ellen (Nariko can suck my toe and trim my pubes i sitll won't give a fuck. Nariko is not hot).

IGN proves again that their reviews are one of the most reliable. IGN, Gamespot and Gametrailers. the game deserved a 9 but i don't expect other reviewers to be so kind. Gamespot may give it an 8 or 8.5 but Gametrailers maybe kinder.

Top Bottom