• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Folklore/Folksoul Thread - One fantasy can transform a million realities

Lo-Volt said:
I believe so.

Actually, he was originally on the project but then moved to the director position of a PSP installment of the series (read: Not a Part)

EDIT: Which is damn shame since the idiot should be working on SMT 4

CheapyD

A question to those of you who finished the game...

Did the fact that you had to play through the game twice (once with each character) to advance the story bother you at all?

Only the IGN review mentions this but it didn't seem to bother the reviewer. In fact, he was more annoyed with the loading pause after folk selection, which I didn't even notice.

I was only playing with Keats and after beating the 5 realms (about 5 1/2 hours or so), the game told me I need to go back and play with Ellen before I could continue. To me, this seems like a terrible design decision as now I am forced to replay the game from the start with the other character if I want to finish this game. I don't think I will bother.

Do you think this game would have been stronger if it was only 6-7 hours and didn't force you to play though the same levels twice?

I really liked the demo for this game. The world - with its somewhat Burton/Elfman-esque vibe - and developing mystery definitely piqued my interest. I'm just a fan of both the art and the style of it all. Waiting on some impressions to see if I'll be picking this up in the TRU sale or holding out for a price drop or two.

tehbear

CheapyD said:
Did the fact that you had to play through the game twice (once with each character) to advance the story bother you at all?

I haven't even played the game yet, but this is perfect since I have a friend over playing PS3 all the time.

WYWY

CheapyD said:
I was only playing with Keats and after beating the 5 realms (about 5 1/2 hours or so), the game told me I need to go back and play with Ellen before I could continue. To me, this seems like a terrible design decision as now I am forced to replay the game from the start with the other character if I want to finish this game. I don't think I will bother.

Do you think this game would have been stronger if it was only 6-7 hours and didn't force you to play though the same levels twice?
Actually the best flow is first Ellen, then Keats for every level, one level after another. The story is most coherent in this order. Replaying a level does not become bothersome either, since you replay it immediately but with different perspectives, different folks, some plot clarifications with Ellen's level that you just completed, etc. Better than the 'dread' of returning to something you cleared hours ago.

Personally I feel it will be better if they locked the progression style to the one I described. I was just lucky I chose to progress in that pattern.

Pakman

If/when the 40 gb PS3 drops, I'll probably pick one up for this game - looks like it can be one of the PS3's first great titles I'm interested in (no offense to HS, but it never caught my attention).

Fady K

·feist· said:
I really liked the demo for this game. The world - with its somewhat Burton/Elfman-esque vibe - and developing mystery definitely piqued my interest. I'm just a fan of both the art and the style of it all. Waiting on some impressions to see if I'll be picking this up in the TRU sale or holding out for a price drop or two.

I feel exactly the same here.

Avalon

XHitoshuraX said:
Actually, he was originally on the project but then moved to the director position of a PSP installment of the series (read: Not a Part)

EDIT: Which is damn shame since the idiot should be working on SMT 4

I'm still trying to figure out why he left in the first place. I don't buy the whole "I wanted to try something different without endangering Atlus R&D1." They are the ones who are branching out, he is still making the same monster breeding dungeon crawlers (Except now he doesn't have a great team behind him to make sure it's actually good).

tehbear

BruceLeeRoy said:
Why in the name of all that is holy is there another Folklore thread over the IGN review.
People need to learn how to read.

Yeah no need to split the small of hype we are building :lol

antiloop

BruceLeeRoy said:
Why in the name of all that is holy is there another Folklore thread over the IGN review.
People need to learn how to read.

Reminds me about the bioshock month. At least 30 threads I think about the game?

I think it's a lost cause. Some people can't read no matter what you do ;)

the_id

this game maybe getting average scores. Average means that Folklore's greatness is balanced with its weaknesses. Day 1 for me still.

EDIT: This game i believe is persuading a lot of people due more to the hands on demo that they got from PSN. hopefully they'll release a Lair demo. I'm still on the fence with that one.

The Chef

15 hours is perfect for me. I can now really devote a good amount of time to this game before I get Rachet.

I am super hyped for this especially after the IGN and Gametrailer video reviews.

Came across this comment in the IGN thread:

memecomplex said:
...Definitely delivers if you like the demo.

However, if you're an English speaking gamer and are tempted by the cheap Asian version, do bear in mind that the Asian version has crap translation with spelling errors. This game could really benefit from top notch translation.
Can anyone verify this and what, if anything, is shared between that version and the US release?

Also, I just remembered that I accidentally Dl'd the Japanese DLC for this game months ago. I'll be looking to see if it'll work with an Asian or US copy...

As for complaints about the IGN thread, people should remember that the review thread has made some look at this game in a more positive light. The added attention should lead to increased sales, more traffic for this thread and potentially more custom maps.

slade

·feist· said:
Also, I just remembered that I accidentally Dl'd the Japanese DLC for this game months ago. I'll be looking to see if it'll work with an Asian or US copy...

If it's anything like Genji 2, then the Japanese content won't work on the N.A copy.

·feist· said:
Came across this comment in the IGN thread:

Can anyone verify this and what, if anything, is shared between that version and the US release?

As for complaints about the IGN thread, people should remember that the review thread has made some look at this game in a more positive light. The added attention should lead to increased sales, more traffic for this thread and potentially more custom maps.

The translation is spot on actually. It uses a sort of turn of the century type of speech (and text for that matter) sprinkled with post modern subtext. Mind you each character is given their own "dialect", but these are consistent throughout.

Would've been nice to play it with the added content before its US PSN release. I liked the translation and text of the September Demo so that's good to hear.

KTallguy

Banned
Man, that GameTrailers score is ... weird.

A lot of the things that the IGN guy loved were cited as problems with the game.

From what I can tell, the only annoying thing is a 3 second load time when switching folks, right?

KTallguy said:
Man, that GameTrailers score is ... weird.

A lot of the things that the IGN guy loved were cited as problems with the game.

From what I can tell, the only annoying thing is a 3 second load time when switching folks, right?

This is a point of some debate. I have a reviewable code, as did IGN GT etc...And yes it does have a 3 second delay. I've been hearing however, from some that the retail copies have this issue fixed....

Then again some people will say anything...

Oni Jazar

CheapyD said:
A question to those of you who finished the game...

Only the IGN review mentions this but it didn't seem to bother the reviewer. In fact, he was more annoyed with the loading pause after folk selection, which I didn't even notice.

Just listened to your critique about Folklore in the Cagcast. It sucks that such a stupid design desicion ruined your enjoyment of the game. It seems like there are a lot of positives but they just couldn't be overcome by having to play through multiple levels over again with no huge difference.

Did you ever get the hang of the motion controls?

lorddct

So would you guys recommend getting the asian version over the english version?

I really want the game with the least amount of changes from the original japanese version.

I would also like to know a little more about the Asian versions translations. Is it bearable or there are times where it's in broken english?

Thanks

lorddct said:
So would you guys recommend getting the asian version over the english version?

I really want the game with the least amount of changes from the original japanese version.

I would also like to know a little more about the Asian versions translations. Is it bearable or there are times where it's in broken english?

Thanks

Hmmm.

Dont.

CheapyD

Oni Jazar said:
Just listened to your critique about Folklore in the Cagcast. It sucks that such a stupid design desicion ruined your enjoyment of the game. It seems like there are a lot of positives but they just couldn't be overcome by having to play through multiple levels over again with no huge difference.

Did you ever get the hang of the motion controls?

Yes, I actually did get the hang of the motions controls! I meant to mention that on the CAGcast.

Yagharek

Saw the GT video review of this last night. Looks a lot like Shadow of Memories to me, kind of feels like Pan's Labyrinth or even Medievil & the Bowie with Potato Tights Labyrinth. :D

This + the 40GB uncertainty may just see me come home with a new machine this Sunday.

Top Bottom