• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GDC Thread (March 23-27, 2009) of "Megatons?" and Getting Stupid.

GDC_Banner_09_by_FrogButler.jpg

FOREWORD

Well, since I started the GDC prediction thread and a bunch of people were asking for an official GDC thread of all things GDC 2009, I decided to make this! I'll try to list off as much as I can and I'll also be posting a schedule of the keynotes and workshops that I'm sure you guys care about. Other than that, I encourage everyone to post links to live blogs of the big keynotes (like Iwata's keynote/press conference and Kojima's keynote/game unveiling?), talk about what they are excited for at the show.

I also encourage that if an event/keynote/workshop/session is being liveblogged somewhere, please post the link in this thread and comment on them here. That way we won't be flooded with GDC session threads this week. It is always a pain to switch through six different tabs that all have interesting things being discussed. Let's just keep any and all GDC talk about keynotes, commenting on the liveblogs of keynotes, announcements, and event coverage here. That way you're always only an F5 away from new info!

GENERAL INFO

Game Developer's Conference 2009:
March 23-27, 2009
Moscone Center, San Francisco
On-site registration begins Sunday, March 22, from 5-7pm.
GDC Live Coverage on Gamasutra

FAQS:

Q: Where can I get minute by minute play by plays of the sessions? I know the keynotes will have live-blogs and live-feeds but what about the sessions?

A:
XiaNaphryz said:
Just pay for the conference proceedings. It's in either written or audio format are available for access by year, track and title. Not everything will be up there, but a good chunk of it is.

If any of you happen to know of some news or a good session, reach me at my twitter: twitter.com/rdiluigi and I'll be sure to add to the thread!

SHOW SCHEDULE

Full List of Sessions
-Above is a full listing of all the sessions going on during the show, their times and their locations. The list is ENORMOUS so naturally I won't post the whole thing here.

The OnLive Press Conference (In Case You Missed It Last Night)

9th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards
Wednesday, March 25th, 6:30-8:30pm
Moscone Convention Center, Esplanade Room

-This is the awards show that most of you have heard about. There are a ton of other "award ceremonies" planned but this is the one I know everyone was interested in.

The KEYNOTES (I.E., the MEGATON Meetings):

Satoru Iwata
President of Nintendo

"Discovering New Development Opportunities"
Wednesday, March 25th, 9 - 10 AM

Hideo Kojima
Head of Kojima Productions

"Solid Game Design: Making the ‘Impossible’ Possible"
Thursday, March 26, 10:30 AM - 12 PM

LIVE FEEDS (Section will be updated, taken down as conferences are happening)

Nintendo's Iwata Keynote Liveblog on 1UP by Jeremy Parish: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173429

IGN's Iwata Live Blog: http://wii.ign.com/articles/965/965783p1.html

VG247's Iwata Conference Liveblog: http://www.vg247.com/2009/03/25/gdc-vg247-live-from-the-iwata-opening-keynote/

Wired's Iwata Liveblog: http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/03/gdc-live-blog-n.html

Eurogamer's Iwata Keynote Liveblog: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gdc-satoru-iwata-keynote-soon-live-report

Kotaku's Iwata Liveblog: http://kotaku.com/5183222/nintendo-president-satoru-iwatas-gdc-keynote-liveblog-party

BIG NEWS (Will be updated as the show goes on)

Big Announcements So Far:

-OnLive (Perhaps the BIGGEST single announcement of the show so far)

-The Nintendo MEGATONS: New Zelda for DS (The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks), SDHC Storage Solution for Wii and VC Arcade is now LIVE, Square bringing FFIV: The After, the original Final Fantasy and FFCC: MLAAK 2 to the Wii Shop Channel, Rock n' Roll Climber demoed and will be on WiiWare, Rhythm Heaven Demo available on the Nintendo Channel

-LBP and Fallout Big Winners at GDC Awards

-Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Has Finally Been Announced!

-Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time Announced for PS3 and is coming this Fall!

-Third Party Motion Controller for 360 This Fall Launching with "Squeeballs" Game

-Gears of War 2 Single Player DLC: Dark Corners

-Rolando Sequels Announced!!!

-Max Payne 3 Coming Winter 2009 for PS3, 360 and PC!

-First Star Trek: DAC Details

-Details and Screens of PSN Game, "Under Seige"; Looks Awesome

-Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Trailer

-Ragdoll Kung-Fu Coming to PSN April 9th, $9.99

-XNA 3.1 Revealed

-New Xbox 360 Dev Kit

-CryEngine 3.0 Demo

-New Punch-Out!!! Trailer; Looking Great, "Stole My Bike" Scene Intact

-Noby Noby Boy Multiplayer

-Team Ninja Doesn't Need Itagaki

-Pixeljunk Eden Encore Gets New Move

CONCLUSION?

GET EXCITE!!!!!!

AwesomeFaceDance.gif
AwesomeFaceDance.gif
AwesomeFaceDance.gif

What is there to be EXCITE about, you ask?

http://twitter.com/geoffkeighley

Working with our team on next week's GTTV. Going to be an epic show with around 6 world exclusives...and a few big surprises!

@mafiagame_cz, Yes, of course! We will be revealing Mafia II soon on the show including the first gameplay footage! Stay tuned.

Not to mention, Nintendo always makes a splash when Iwata comes to speak (GDC was where Phantom Hourglass was first revealed to the public) and Kojima is hosting a keynote so even if he doesn't announce a game, he'll at least make some interesting comments.

Also, to wrap up, if you have any last minute predictions for what we'll see, post 'em here so when we're wrong, we can all mutually make fun of each other and when someone is right we can hail them as an industry insider.

Johnas

Thanks for the thread, WWRU.

Is there potential for news every day this week then? I thought the conference was only Monday-Wednesday.

Johnas said:
There's bound to be a handful of relevant announcements here.

He's just saying don't expect earth shattering announcements. Most shows have relevant announcements but people get themselves worked up for some massive announcement and end up being disappointed with the entire show.

Johnas

SolidSnakex said:
He's just saying don't expect earth shattering announcements. Most shows have relevant announcements but people get themselves worked up for some massive announcement and end up being disappointed with the entire show.

Yeah, I know. Just trying to balance out some of the negativity. People have been barely talking about the show as it is. I definitely have my expectations in check.

DuckRacer

Hey OP, add this:

http://twitter.com/geoffkeighley

Working with our team on next week's GTTV. Going to be an epic show with around 6 world exclusives...and a few big surprises!

@mafiagame_cz, Yes, of course! We will be revealing Mafia II soon on the show including the first gameplay footage! Stay tuned.

Make sure to watch Spike next Friday night, we'll be telling you a lot more about ME2

Johnas said:
Thanks for the thread, WWRU.

Is there potential for news every day this week then? I thought the conference was only Monday-Wednesday.
First off, you're welcome. :)

And to answer your question, yes, I am assuming there will be some news Thursday too since that's when Kojima's keynote takes place.

ggnoobIGN said:
Some keynote times would be nice.
Done. :D

DuckRacer said:
Also done.

MisterHero

cmon Smash Bros 4 Smash Bros 4 Smash Bros 4

big money big money *clapping hands*

speaking of which I think it would be fun to start contributing to the SSB4 thread again :lol

MisterHero said:
cmon Smash Bros 4 Smash Bros 4 Smash Bros 4

big money big money *clapping hands*

speaking of which I think it would be fun to start contributing to the SSB4 thread again :lol
Oh yeah, what happened to that? I created it, tons of people contributed, we decided on a final roster, and then it faded into nothing. :lol

Cat in the Hat said:
Any hope of Nintendo doing anything special?
I stand by my prediction in the other thread, we'll get a Zelda Wii announcement.

h3ro

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

Not really, I just want more information on Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2 and whatever Kojima is up to...

Wii Will Rock U said:
Oh yeah, what happened to that? I created it, tons of people contributed, we decided on a final roster, and then it faded into nothing. :lol

I stand by my prediction in the other thread, we'll get a Zelda Wii announcement.
I will buy a Wii the day Zelda is announced.

Cat in the Hat said:
Any hope of Nintendo doing anything special?

Well, at Sony's keynote in 2007 they announced LBP and Microsoft announced GoW2 at their keynote last year. So the balls in Nintendo's court.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SolidSnakex said:
Considering it's not even supposed to be considered "a show" to begin with, it shouldn't be too surprising. The recent hijacking of GDC to be some sort of PR event first and foremost as opposed to what it really is still irks several of us who have attended for a while. :p

DuckRacer

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/694187/G4-Presents-Wall-to-Wall-GDC-Coverage.html
Starting Monday, March 23, G4TV.com will feature extensive around-the-clock coverage from the conference. Viewers can tune-in to X-Play starting Wednesday, March 25 at 6:30pm ET/PT for three consecutive nights of GDC madness, where X-Play host and editor-in-chief Adam Sessler will take viewers inside this “gamer’s paradise," with looks at everything on the show floor and interviews with video game luminaries.

G4 is also the only place on television where fans can see the 9th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards in a half-hour special airing Friday, April 10 at 6:30PM ET/PT.

Check out what we have in store for you on G4tv.com:
  • Live-blogging
  • Videos
  • Photos
  • Round-up reports from the biggest GDC panels
  • Hands-on demos and game previews of the biggest games of the year, including X-Men Origins Wolverine, Wolfenstein, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 1943, Terminator Salvation: The Video Game, Batman Arkham Asylum, The Conduit, Aion, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Sims 3, GI Joe, Boom Blox Bash Party, InFAMOUS, Fat Princess and Huxley.
  • Extensive coverage on the new Nintendo DSi and DSi Ware and the latest Wii and DS titles
  • The latest news on XNA and Windows 7.
  • Game trailers and gameplay videos in high-definition.
  • And more!

On the TV side, X-Play's Adam Sessler will walk the show floor, report news directly from Nintendo’s Satoru Iwata’s GDC 09 keynote presentation, and speak to other special guests such as legendary Metal Gear creator, Hideo Kojima!

X-Play is the only place to catch the 9th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards, too. We're bringing you a half-hour special on Friday, April 10 at 6:30PM ET/PT, so you can check out the show and help honor the developers of the best video games released during the previous calendar year, as well as awards key figures from the video game community. Be the first to find out if LittleBigPlanet, Left 4 Dead or Braid take Best Game Design.

Nakazato

A member of our forums (Teeda) was kind enough to share some of the latest rumors involving the Game Developers Conference with us. There are some very interesting tidbits in there that should make every PlayStation fan very happy should they pan out to be true. Here's the latest:

New 80gb PS3 bundled with 2 games will be launched at the end of March.it will cost 399$ (already confirmed).- New 40gb ps3 sku will be launched this May. The cost will be 299$.

- PSP slide will be shown for the first time in this year's E3. The launch is next year.

- The currently available PSP model will get a price cut too. The cost will be 119$.

- Fumito Ueda will be there at GDC '09. He will announce 2 projects. One of them is Shadow of the Colossus Online.

- Syphon Filter is underway to PS3. Apparently the developers are using the same engine behind Killzone2.

- Insomniac is developing a new action platformer RPG. It looks like a Zelda clone.

- Jak 4 is on the way too.

- Daxter 2 will be on ready at the time of PSP slide launch.

- Legend of Dragoon is under development and is to be launched in japan this year.

There are being reported as rumors, nothing more, so until GDC has come and gone take them with a grain of salt. Very exciting if true, however!

None of this is probably real sadly. but who knows. But I will not get hyped.

Zerodoppler said:
New Play Control: Wind Waker will most likely be there, yes.
Wind Waker (with extra dungeon instead of triforce quest)
Mario Sunshine (no more blue coins - extra classic levels instead)
Eternal Darkness
Luigi's Mansion (with expanded behind the shoulder view while busting ghosts)
Wave Race (Wii Motion+)

Any more ideas?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dax01 said:
Do we have the times for the Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony "main" presentations? Or are there none?
Oh for the love of...

This is NOT E3! There are no major press conferences or presentations or anything as an official part of the conference involving major companies showing off stuff E3-style. The only reason we've had any "big announcements" in the past is because major company bigwigs had a keynote that year. Microsoft started this whole nonsense with the Xbox unveiling when Bill Gates had a keynote all those years ago, and it's started a horrible trend since. Thankfully, the "expo" part of the conference still sucks for the most part, and the majority of the main conference is still fine.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nakazato said:

Sounds like a bunch of ridiculousness to me.

I'll just keep low expectations.

phalestine

aka iby.h
not gonna hype myself. see with Nintendo if you expect good news you get shit. so the trick is too expect like wii chess for America or something.

Nakazato said:

Everyone loves to throw out a Team ICO rumor. The guy is just on a panel talking about games at GDC. There's no reason for him to announce a game in a situation like that.

Top Bottom