• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gulf Of Mexico Oil Disaster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

Coast Guard officials said they could begin as early as today lighting afire parts of a massive oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico to halt its spread to coastal ares from Louisiana to Florida. (See a map of the spill here.)

As of this morning, weather conditions were favorable to start burning of pockets of thick, clumpy oil, which pose the biggest threat to shorelines, Coast Guard Senior Chief Steve Carlton said.

“It's an option in the toolbox, and it could happen as early as today,” he said in an interview.

Light winds out of the northwest were thought to be good conditions for a controlled burn of the pockets because they would help send the smoke out to sea, he said.

The huge slick — estimated to be 600 miles in circumference — began last week when the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig sank into the Gulf after an apparent blowout sent the facility up in flames on April 20. The rig, owned and operated by Swiss-based Transocean, had been drilling a well at BP's Macondo prospect some 40 miles off the coast of Louisiana when the accident occurred.

The spill continues to grow as a damaged well on the sea floor, 5,000 feet below the water's surface, leaks up to 42,000 gallons, or 1,000 barrels, per day of crude oil into the Gulf. As of Tuesday afternoon, it had crept within 20 miles of Venice, La., the Coast Guard said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/energy/6979467.html

America, F YEA!

ToxicAdam
I <3 Big Government
(Today, 08:55 AM)
Reply | Quote

beavis-fire.gif

Metalic Sand said:
Why not just blow up the whole well. Fuck yeah!

Nuke it and once the nuke blows all of the water away, drop some commandos into the bottom of the ocean and plug that shit before the water flows back in.

FUCK YEAH!

Evlar

Banned
I live in a community that could be impacted by this. It's been interesting to see how this is impacting the Florida Senate race. Crist is practically recanting his earlier support for near-coastal offshore drilling.

Zaphod

Sounds better than letting it come ashore. Plus it should look really cool at night.

I live in a community that could be impacted by this. It's been interesting to see how this is impacting the Florida Senate race. Crist is practically recanting his earlier support for near-coastal offshore drilling.

Drill baby drill... Until it washes ashore.

andycapps

I thought I read some stuff at the time that the damage to the environment would be minimal and that it was all essentially under control. Guess not.

winter

And doesn't Obama want to start drilling off the east coast now when he was originally against it? What a let down.

Sh1ner

Evlar said:

post pics if u see it burning dude!

andycapps said:
I thought I read some stuff at the time that the damage to the environment would be minimal and that it was all essentially under control. Guess not.
Yeah, initially it didn't look too bad. I didn't think there was a problem, just the rig's diesel supply and a little extra crude. But apparently they can't turn off the valve on the sea floor so it is just spewing up from the sea floor and comes to the surface.

I've read that they are going to build a special dome to drop on top of the valve on the sea floor and then suck up the oil that gathers at the top of the dome. A completely new untested technique. I wish them luck with it. But apparently it will take weeks to build this dome thing.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I hope it works because if the oil reaches the protected lands on the shore, it will be devastating to the ecosystems.

Evlar said:

My parents have a gulf coast condo in Florida. I'd love to hear the political discussions among the old folks if their area is at risk of damage.

This really is a freak accident though. They have really improved the equipment since the oil spill around Santa Barbra in the 1960s. So it will be kinda sad that this will probably stop a lot of drilling from happening. But drilling never would have solved our problems anyway.

Well, I guess this will help the push for EVs. :D

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Evlar said:

I haven't been paying much attention to Marco Rubio's positions, but I thought he was a Teabagger. Aren't all teabaggers all about drilling as well?

Evlar

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
I haven't been paying much attention to Marco Rubio's positions, but I thought he was a Teabagger. Aren't all teabaggers all about drilling as well?
Yeah, he's a champion of the Tea Party nuts. Here's Rubio's take on the spill:
Rubio, also open to more offshore drilling, compared the spill to a plane or car accident, which can spark new safety standards within the industry.

"It doesn't force you to reconsider airline travel or driving," Rubio said.

Rubio said Crist's re-evaluation of the issue was "par for the course."

"We've seen Gov. Crist, with all due respect, take multiple positions on multiple issues," Rubio said.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...as-crist-senate-decision-expected-633536.html

To paraphrase: "Governor Crist changes his mind when presented with facts, real-life issues, or the vacillating opinion of the public. You'll never see those shenanigans from me! Vote Rubio."

R2D4

Banned
canova said:
America is like this useless big bully who got nothing else to do but causing problems

Yes no other country on earth as disasters caused by mining or drilling for oil. Only the USA. We are also the only country to use oil. So naturally we would want to find any reason to burn it.

Chichikov

canova said:
America is like this useless big bully who got nothing else to do but causing problems
Good thing this was not caused by a British company, because that would make you look rather stupid.

Jak140

canova said:

The rig, owned and operated by Swiss-based Transocean, had been drilling a well at BP's Macondo prospect some 40 miles off the coast of Louisiana when the accident occurred.
?

andycapps

canova said:

Something something China something something Great Barrier Reef.

speculawyer said:
Yeah, initially it didn't look too bad. I didn't think there was a problem, just the rig's diesel supply and a little extra crude. But apparently they can't turn off the valve on the sea floor so it is just spewing up from the sea floor and comes to the surface.

Man.. I really hope they get this under control soon. Sucks that it wasn't as easy as they thought it'd be.

R2D4

Banned
Skiptastic said:
Don't you wanna know how we keep starting fires?

It's our desire.

America didn't start the fire. It's always been burning since the world's been turning.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
canova said:

WTF? A Swiss-owned company is running a rig, has an accident, 11 people die, many others injured, the Gulf ecosystem my be damaged for years, yet you find a way to erroneously bash the US?

Nice.

JBaird

Banned
canova said:

I assume you don't use anything oil based and are clean from such a disaster. Even if this was Americas fault, which is isn't, it would be just as much your fault as anyone elses since you are one of the reasons they are even drilling. That would be like blaming China for the bad labor situation without taking some blame yourself if you are a consumer of their goods.

LQX

Makes no damn sense. Here we have a Swedish company drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and spilling oil with hardly any fuss, yet there was/is apprehension in opening other parts of the US coasts so we can do the drilling ourselves. I think this is proof hardly anyone really cares if we start more drilling because there as been no real backlash when just a few weeks earlier Obama said there would be more drilling.

daw840

How the fuck are people coming in here complaining about the US in this thread?!? Let's see here. A SWEDISH company fucked up and caused a huge oil spill, and now the US is coming in to fix the problem. Sounds kind of like we are the good guys here.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
daw840 said:
How the fuck are people coming in here complaining about the US in this thread?!? Let's see here. A SWEDISH company fucked up and caused a huge oil spill, and now the US is coming in to fix the problem. Sounds kind of like we are the good guys here.
KipAv.gif

gcubed

LQX said:
Makes no damn sense. Here we have a Swedish company drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and spilling oil with hardly any fuss, yet there was/is apprehension in opening other parts of the US coasts so we can do the drilling ourselves. I think this is proof hardly anyone really cares if we start more drilling because there as been no real backlash when just a few weeks earlier Obama said there would be more drilling.

the apprehension is less to do with opening new rigs, and more to do with how close they actually want to open them to the shore

KevinRo

daw840 said:

No we aren't. We are the bad guys. Remember that next time someone bashes the U.S. It makes the retards feel better about their countries for being jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom