• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Your vision of Halo is not Halo. Which is fine. More power to you. I'm just glad Bungie doesn't agree. If Halo's weapons were designed the way you're describing, I'd never touch the game again (or have done so in the first place).
I don't understand why this added depth would hurt the game in any way or play so drastically different. If something like this were implemented I doubt anyone you play with in BTB would even realize such changes were made. You run around ARing and swapping beatdowns never once realizing you did slightly more damage cause you accidentally sprayed a few bullets in the head before each of your corpses few apart. I can't see anything to fear.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
vhfive said:
back to the panel talk

it was actually a really good watch. its always interesting to catch a glimpse of how a game is made. the video of the voice acting was pretty cool to.
<3 firefly

oh yea I love that stuff. I haven't seen all of it but there wasn't a whole lot of talk about tech and that kind of disappointed me. I don't think there were any programmers on the panel. Some talk about AI or anything on the technical side would be nice. Again, I haven't seen all of it yet.

EazyB

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
oh yea I love that stuff. I haven't seen all of it but there wasn't a whole lot of talk about tech and that kind of disappointed me. I don't think there were any programmers on the panel. Some talk about AI or anything on the technical side would be nice. Again, I haven't seen all of it yet.
Hopefully they cover some more of the tech stuff in the vidocs where it's probably easier to demonstrate anyways.

But yeah, it was really cool attending the panel. We got there about 30 minutes early and the line was already wrapped around the 6th floor and even got so long it lost itself and branched off into some false lines. Luckily DualX (AJer and occasional GAF poster) had gotten there like an hour early and we cut in there with him. Which reminds me, they were handing out these weird ODST compass things and I gave mine to Dual as thanks for letting us cut. Maybe Ghaleon can post a pic of the ODST toy thing.

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
they did go by a step by step presentation on how an area is made but besides that not much on the technical side. most of the stuff was on game decision making.
i would have like to see a little more of the technical side but it is a presentation and they can't bore the audience.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Maybe we can create a new thread, we can have this one and a thread called "BR vs everything".

Would make this one more pleasent.

AR spawns suck

Cant0na said:
BR users post your highest level
AR lovers post your highest level

That'll prove, why the BR is amazing/requires more skill/adds depth to the game and the AR is a waste of space

Sniper, 50

Seriously, more kills with the sniper than BR in social, but its 1.BR, 2.Sniper in Ranked

feel

In the music part of the panel, when Marty said to preorder the soundtrack on amazon, I actually paused the vid and did it wondering why I didn't do it before. Should be tight, I have the Halo 3 one and love it, when I have to endure traffic or long rides alone, I pop this disc in the car stereo, and I basically see halo 3 being played from start to end in my mind.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
EazyB said:
I don't understand why this added depth would hurt the game in any way or play so drastically different. If something like this were implemented I doubt anyone you play with in BTB would even realize such changes were made. You run around ARing and swapping beatdowns never once realizing you did slightly more damage cause you accidentally sprayed a few bullets in the head before each of your corpses few apart. I can't see anything to fear.

I wonder how much of the decision had to with the limitations of having all of this depth with online play. With PC games, I think you can have this depth because people really only play on servers close to their location. I used to play Counter Strike in an East Coast server exclusively. Halo 3 struggles at times with 4v4 matches from people all over the nation already. I think if the system were to be even more complex it could potentially be a mess.

One example of how this already happens in Halo 3 is in MLG, you can get 2 direct shots (head or body, it doesn't matter) with a BR and then beatdown and get the kill. When you play online, the chances of this working like it should are slim. To make up for this, I always go for the 3 BR hits and a beatdown to be safe. I'm not 100% sure exactly why this happens. Chances are all bullets from the BR spread are not registering because between the time all of the information is sent from you, the enemy, and the host and back, there's a difference in what you see and what actually is going on. Because of this, a single bullet from each spread could miss (in my experience happens a good portion of the time) leaving your enemy with more shields than you think. AKA Lag.

Just picture the AR with the amount of bullets and spread. How many hit the head? How many hit body? How many missed? This could be awesome locally but online it could be catastrophic. Instead, Bungie has created a really simple combat system that is accessible to many and decent to handle in online situations. Where does the depth come from then? I think it comes from the fact the Halo by nature is a very team oriented game. I think it also comes from the maps and the spawn system.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
EazyB said:

:lol :lol

Blueblur1

I didn't mean to start another string of arguments. I was also a little too quick to anger earlier. The AR isn't terrible, it's just not great and not a suitable starting weapon. But that's just me.

EazyB

Banned
Neverender said:
Hey let's talk about ODST.

This guy looks like an aging Shyla Leebuff:
i5ccjp.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
There's room for both ARs and BRs in future Halo instalments, I'm kinda hoping both make it into Reach (perhaps with silenced SMG along for the ride?).

EazyB

Banned
Whatever losers. I have to admit white people pretty much all look the same to me but even then, you can't deny this:

xnevxj.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
Mr. Durden said:
You can't be serious... they look nothing alike ?
I was going to make a joke about the guy on the left looking identical after his vehicle accident, but I've reconsidered.

You're still an annoying actor, laborf or whatever the hell your name is.

Striker said:
The SMG allowed a player to immediately pick up another dual wield counterpart to make your person either more stronger in close range (SMG/Plasma Rifle), or medium-distance lengths (SMG/Plasma Pistol, SMG/Magnum [even after the patch neutered it]). While the SMG was awful for maps like Burial Mounds, Terminal, Relic, etc. (larger or open maps), it was not as horrible as people made it out to be on small or closed-door maps. Instead of the rush-melee instances in Halo 3 with the AR, it was rush-melee with SMG or dual wield.
Most duals are not that powerful beyond a range the AR can reach, and since most people were looking to dual wield with their starting weapon, they weren't looking to throw grenades or melee: the two other aspects of Halo's golden trifecta. Given the fact that those who start with an AR are more likely to use grenades or melee than SMG. I personally enjoy using grenades and beat downs more than dual wielding.

Finally able to find some decent FF footage from the French:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DinrC9Xzn4

Edit - Ghal, going by that video, you're right, the Carbine does sound a tad different, like it packs more of a punch.
Edit 2 - Guy got killed by a brute chieftain, who is probably the cause of most deaths in FF.

Walshicus

Cant0na said:
BR users post your highest level
AR lovers post your highest level

That'll prove, why the BR is amazing/requires more skill/adds depth to the game and the AR is a waste of space
Wouldn't that reasoning work only if BR users have *lower* highest levels?

I don't care much either way, but the AR is more fun to kill with.

Magni

BR + Snipe in H3 for me, AR is my least favorite weapon, the fact that it sounds the worst doesn't help..

40 as an AR/melee player the first two months, now a BR/Sniper at 47.

Wasn't there some fox guy who was like assuring us that the AR required more skill and that he could out AR anybody?

Tashi0106 said:
One example of how this already happens in Halo 3 is in MLG, you can get 2 direct shots (head or body, it doesn't matter) with a BR and then beatdown and get the kill. When you play online, the chances of this working like it should are slim. To make up for this, I always go for the 3 BR hits and a beatdown to be safe. I'm not 100% sure exactly why this happens. Chances are all bullets from the BR spread are not registering because between the time all of the information is sent from you, the enemy, and the host and back, there's a difference in what you see and what actually is going on. Because of this, a single bullet from each spread could miss (in my experience happens a good portion of the time) leaving your enemy with more shields than you think. AKA Lag.

Fundamentally wrong with the H3 engine and weapon damage. Even on LAN a lot of pro players will see two shots and a beatdown and the other player will have 2 shots but instead of beating down hit that third shot then beat down with the other player watching as he can do nothing and is already dead (even though the dead dudes thought of what he was doing was more efficient and should have resulted in a kill). What should be done is if 2 of the bullets hit it should do damage equivalent to 3 (or some other failsafe there). This way 4 shots work much better. MLG tried to replicate that with the damage modifier but it doesn't work as well as it should. Considering the weapon is a 4 shot kill it should work like that. Spread is a dumb fucking idea in the first place though.

IMO the depth of H3's MP gameplay comes from strategic lockouts based on map control. Team Doubles is a good example of this, trapping and then attacking from two sides. Forcing their team into unfavorable positions. Weapon control is the shittiest aspect of H3's gameplay because everything takes so long in H3 from picking up a weapon to reloading and to switching a weapon to being able to fire it again. This is why AR/BR spawn is essential. First fix that, then work on having maps that lead towards good play. Everything else will fall into place.

Wizman23

Banned
The bitching and bickering in this thread is making it unreadable. Considering we are a little over a week from launch its quite embarassing. Its actually worse then Halo 3 thread at this point. Some of you obviously have an agenda now against Ghaleon because you are jealous of his Bungie visit. Grow the fuck up.

EazyB said:
Whatever losers. I have to admit white people pretty much all look the same to me but even then, you can't deny this:

xnevxj.jpg

I wonder if the guy on the right runs around screaming, "nononono" all the time in Hungarian.

Anyone here pre-order from Amazon in the past? I've got ODST set for release date delivery, and wanted to know how long I'll have to wait to get it. I don't want to take a day off from work and spend half of it getting mad at the UPS guy for not showing up.

I don't think the game needs any fundamental gameplay changes, but it would be great for them to add in some more modes of play online, as well as largely just visual improvements. One of the areas I think Halo 3 lacks is general animation as they pretty much have just been carrying over the animations from the previous Halo games with a couple new additions. The newer stuff added in later Halos look much better than the general movement. I would love to see them simply spruce up the visuals in stuff like that.

As for game modes, would love to have some more war like modes perhaps kind of like Battlefield games or something that feels more like an actual combat situation instead of feeling like a glorified sport. Halo MP to me feels more like something akin to Quake/Unreal in that it seems like a competitive sport environment. Firefight seems like a cool new addition of a mode, stuff like that is a step in the right direction I think.

Wizman23 said:
The bitching and bickering in this thread is making it unreadable. Considering we are a little over a week from launch its quite embarassing. Its actually worse then Halo 3 thread at this point. Some of you obviously have an agenda now against Ghaleon because you are jealous of his Bungie visit. Grow the fuck up.
I don't see one single example of this in the thread.

Also, what's the whole deal with when the announcer says "Reinforcements" in Firefight? Does it just signify the start of a new round or new weapon drops or what?

ShinAmano

So last night a buddy of mine and i are playing big team. I was attempting to get the 'Save This Film' Achievement...I went 16-0 but got no perfection and no achievement...on Sandbox...what went wrong?

Falt

ShinAmano said:
So last night a buddy of mine and i are playing big team. I was attempting to get the 'Save This Film' Achievement...I went 16-0 but got no perfection and no achievement...on Sandbox...what went wrong?

What game type were you playing? I'm pretty sure it has to be slayer.

backflip10019 said:
I don't see one single example of this in the thread.

Also, what's the whole deal with when the announcer says "Reinforcements" in Firefight? Does it just signify the start of a new round or new weapon drops or what?

I'm pretty sure it drops weapons and health packs, and also regenerates the team's life pool.

ShinAmano said:

Also, if the host changes throughout the game I think it resets your 'spree count'.

Falt

Neverender said:
Also, if the host changes throughout the game I think it resets your 'spree count'.

Get out of town, really!? I've seen weapons/vehicles spawn with a change of host but not scores or kills.

Neverender said:
Yeah, but spree count doesn't matter as long as you get 15 or more kills and don't die. I've gotten a perfection when host quit and even though my kill streak of 14 was reset, I still got the perfection when I got two more kills before the game ended.

Falt said:
Get out of town, really!? I've seen weapons/vehicles spawn with a change of host but not scores or kills.

It resets your spree, but you can still get a perfection. It has to be slayer and you have to win (no lose or tie)

GavinGT

Banned
Neverender said:
I'm pretty sure it drops weapons and health packs, and also regenerates the team's life pool.

No, that's a new round. Reinforcements just means more enemies, and there are five reinforcements per round. If you survive the round, ammo/health placements reset, health is restored, and you get an extra life.

backflip10019 said:
Yeah, but spree count doesn't matter as long as you get 15 or more kills and don't die. I've gotten a perfection when host quit and even though my kill streak of 14 was reset, I still got the perfection when I got two more kills before the game ended.

Oh right. I rarely get perfections so I wasn't sure lol

GavinGT said:
No, that's a new round. Reinforcements just means more enemies, and there are five reinforcements per round. If you survive the round, ammo/health placements reset, health is restored, and you get an extra life.
Gotcha, thanks.

So I'm looking at Bnet and it says I haven't played any games of H3. Happening to anyone else?

Falt

backflip10019 said:
Gotcha, thanks.

So I'm looking at Bnet and it says I haven't played any games of H3. Happening to anyone else?

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing. Somebody got into Bungie's Gibson! :O

Top Bottom