• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tieno

Dartastic said:
Fantastic, fantastic thread. Only three weeks left! :D

Edit- I call for a sticky. This is going to get ridiculous.
There are already a lot of stickies atm. I'll be defacto stickied anyway, by all of the posting that's done in this thread.

Teen Ape

Just imagine...come midnight on September 24th, all these Halo 3 threads will cease to exist because we'll finally be playing the game. Sweet, sweet vindication!

Dartastic

Tieno said:
There are already a lot of stickies atm. I'll be defacto stickied anyway, by all of the posting that's done in this thread.

True. But of all the games that deserve to be stickied... This is the one. Regardless, HALO 3. SOON. HOORAY.

Jel0man

And so it begins. Now let's see if I can get the game on the 25th, in Europe that is. I like small local stores:lol. It worked for other games, but yeah, not so sure about this one though.

Tieno

Jel0man said:
And so it begins. Now let's see if I can get the game on the 25th, in Europe that is. I like small local stores:lol.
I'm very happy there's only 1 day difference, except for the embargo breaking that'll surely happen. I do hope a store close to me breaks embargo.

manxor

Tieno said:
Yeah, I think it should be a rule for this thread... never to be stickied! This thread will actually appear to be more stickied by not being a sticky. It will constantly be kicked to the top regardless, which is more action than a "stuck at the top" thread would ever get. ;

poeple gloss over stickies, I vote no. this thread in time will hold its own and be in the top ten threads once we get a week before launch, I always thought stickys 'saved' threads. this on does not need it.

Tieno

I suggest fans to read Jeremy's blog entries on Revisiting Halo. It's indepth and very good. He offers some cool insights too and it's a nice way to pass some time until Halo 3 is here. If only they'd have the time to make this into a video doc.

Halo Pre-History

Revisiting Halo: Combat Evolved
-Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

Revisiting Halo 2
-Part 1 -Part 2 -Part 3

we all know the leak will come from france...so i say all future releases in france face a mandatory 3 week delay after all other countries

chriskun

I tried to deny the awesome that is Halo 3 but no longer will I hide in darkness. If only the hole was bigger in the middle of the dvd I could stick my pp in it.

Kuroyume

Banned
Let the party begin :D

chiefdance.gif

Xevren

Wow, thats one hell of a post Ghaleon! I'm really excited for Halo 3, and I have never even really played any of the Halo games before. I'm sure I will still have fun as I get owned something fierce in multiplayer.

Thread of the year. Holy shit modus, you've out done yourself. GhaleonEB....wow. That is all.

I had NO idea about skulls in co op.....Halo wins folks.

Xevren said:
Wow, thats one hell of a post Ghaleon! I'm really excited for Halo 3, and I have never even really played any of the Halo games before. I'm sure I will still have fun as I get owned something fierce in multiplayer.

OMG YOU GOT POST 117! CONGRATULATIONS!

I forgot to give appropriately massive props to everyone's main man M0dus. Shameful of me. Excellent work. Let's just hope we can get this band back together for Crackdown II: Ever Crackin' - Rise Of The Renegade Robot Rascals!

FightyF

Banned
A few weeks early, eh? Well I suppose for such a big game it's acceptable.

This game is gonna be off. the. hook.[/Buster]

manxor

Smokey Bones said:
Wait..an art book DOES NOT come w/ the version that I'm paying $129.99 for?

wat tha fuck
You get a digital version, that has more art.
It's a +/- type of thing...
(?}

GhaleonEB

FightyF said:
A few weeks early, eh? Well I suppose for such a big game it's acceptable.

This game is gonna be off. the. hook.[/Buster]
Yeah I was going to wait until the week of release, but I noted two things. First was the Bioshock, Metroid Prime 3 and other official threads going up about three weeks early. The other was the way any Halo thread morphed into a giant general discussion. I checked with the powers that be, and they were cool with a couple weeks early. Think of it as Halo thread flood containment control. :p

Tieno

Is it ok of I use my second post of this thread to just list some cool Halo vids and pieces (evolution of Halo, Bungie Studios tour, Iris docs) that go beyond the scope of the excellent Halo 3 OP?

I promise I'm not trying to start a COD4 vs. Halo3 argument. I just wanted to say that I have been playing the COD4 beta a lot recently, and at first, was really impressed by the presentation. I wondered whether it could really compete with Halo3. Now granted, it is still just a beta and there is plenty of time to make it even better than it already is, but something about COD4 is missing.

Even while I'm actually playing COD4 and having fun, it somehow doesn't add up to the chemistry halo brings. I long for Halo3. Even with all the improved graphics, perk additions, and improvements, COD4 is still just another Call of Duty game. If you enjoyed COD2, then you'll enjoy COD4, but if it doesn't prove better than Halo for you, this isn't going to pull you over to the Call of Duty side.

The weapons, combined with the level-design, pretty much encourage people to just hide in a corner the whole game, and pick off random people as they run by, especially for snipers. I became disenchanted with seeing the top scorers at the post game lobbies, knowing that the majority of them just camped for their kills. And while there is quite a variety of weapons, they generally all do the same things. You either have a machine gun, a sniper rifle, or a shotgun.

I think I just wanted to post about this because, ever since E3, the Call of Duty fans have been going bonkers. And I know COD4 will be an awesome game, but somehow I am at peace now, knowing that playing the COD4 beta makes me miss playing Halo. That is a good sign. It's like I passed the test or something, like in The Lord of the Rings when Galadriel lets go of the ring of power. I'm an open minded gamer and am fully ready to accept when that game comes along that is better than halo. But for me, COD4 didn't do it. I CAN'T WAIT FOR HALO3! :D

Smokey

Deputy Moonman said:
I promise I'm not trying to start a COD4 vs. Halo3 argument. I just wanted to say that I have been playing the COD4 beta a lot recently, and at first, was really impressed by the presentation. I wondered whether it could really compete with Halo3. Now granted, it is still just a beta and there is plenty of time to make it even better than it already is, but something about COD4 is missing.

Even while I'm actually playing COD4 and having fun, it somehow doesn't add up to the chemistry halo brings. I long for Halo3. Even with all the improved graphics, perk additions, and improvements, COD4 is still just another Call of Duty game. If you enjoyed COD2, then you'll enjoy COD4, but if it doesn't prove better than Halo for you, this isn't going to pull you over to the Call of Duty side.

The weapons, combined with the level-design, pretty much encourage people to just hide in a corner the whole game, and pick off random people as they run by, especially for snipers. I became disenchanted with seeing the top scorers at the post game lobbies, knowing that the majority of them just camped for their kills. And while there is quite a variety of weapons, they generally all do the same things. You either have a machine gun, a sniper rifle, or a shotgun.

I think I just wanted to post about this because, ever since E3, the Call of Duty fans have been going bonkers. And I know COD4 will be an awesome game, but somehow I am at peace now, knowing that playing the COD4 beta makes me miss playing Halo. That is a good sign. It's like I passed the test or something, like in The Lord of the Rings when Galadriel lets go of the ring of power. I'm an open minded gamer and am fully ready to accept when that game comes along that is better than halo. But for me, COD4 didn't do it. I CAN'T WAIT FOR HALO3! :D

See, this junior knows the right things to say.

Eric WK

Deputy Moonman said:
Long post.

I agree with almost all of those sentiments. COD4 is great, but to me it just lacks the soul that Halo has.

P.S. Welcome to GAF. You've just proven yourself to be in the top 2% of the new class, more than likely.

bigswords

Yeah just found out that in my country there's a special event where we can buy Halo 3 on the 24th US time :p

The bad news I will be working on that day and retailers can only sell the game on the 27th :( So I still lose :(

mr stroke

man I am kinda sad I didn't pre-order the legendary edition now, I know its a waste of money but that box looks so damn cool..
h.jpg

bigswords

mr stroke said:
man I am kinda sad I didn't pre-order the legendary edition now, I know its a waste of money but that box looks so damn cool..

It's not really there's the cutscenese from Halo 1 & 2 and other stuff as well. Damn wish I can buy it but the dvds are probably region protected :(

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Awesome job guys.

For years to come, this thread will set the standard and will be used as a template on how to do an official thread. Enough said.

Ramirez

Regarding COD4, it lacks the unpredictability factor that Halo has, you have 2-3 guys on you, you're dead, pretty much every time if they're competent players, in Halo, you always have a chance. But it's not really the games fault, it is going for a much more realistic gunplay experience. That type of experience just doesn't lend itself well for a long lasting multiplayer experience, for me anyways.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
So is Modus a graphics designer or something?

Really awesome stuff in that OP, art-wise.

Content is great, and enough to fill everyone in on whatever (If any) they missed.

Great content +

Great banners, etc +

Would read again.

chriskun

So is the whole "dedicated servers" rumor out the window for this game??? The host advantage in Gears is driving me fucking crazy, but I can't seem to stop playing it. Last time I was at the doctor he told me my blood pressure was a little high, which was strange to me because my blood pressure has always been perfect. This has lead me to believe that Gears is the cause of my high blood pressure and not the countless salty, fatty foods I consume. Hopefully Halo 3 will be a more positive multiplayer experience and bring me to a healthier more happy existence.

dejay

Banned
Great OP Ghaleon. Seeing the official Halo 3 thread on the first page made me excited. IT'S REAL!

EvaPlusMinus said:
So is Modus a graphics designer or something?

I don't know, but if you check his work in the Forza custom liveries threads you'll see he's full of win in that department.

Is there a reason this thread isn't stickied? I'm guessing there was a reason posted that I was too lazy to search for.

Will news updates be posted at the top of the OP or what?

Ramirez

chriskun said:
So is the whole "dedicated servers" rumor out the window for this game??? The host advantage in Gears is driving me fucking crazy, but I can't seem to stop playing it. Last time I was at the doctor he told me my blood pressure was a little high, which was strange to me because my blood pressure has always been perfect. This has lead me to believe that Gears is the cause of my high blood pressure and not the countless salty, fatty foods I consume. Hopefully Halo 3 will be a more positive multiplayer experience and bring me to a healthier more happy existence.

Chances are slim to none on dedicated servers...the Halo 3 beta had some of the tightest netcode I've ever experienced in the 4v4 matches. It wasn't that great in the BTB games, but Frankie posted a while back that some pretty big strides had been made in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom