• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

matmanx1

First time delving into the audiophile world... am I doing it right?

5VGNgRJ.jpeg

YKcctAv.jpeg

t0NH0e9.jpeg

Album

Seriously though, how much of a difference would I get by upgrading the Fiio to a better stand alone DAC?

As it is I hear a noise whenever my computer is under heavy load even when nothing is playing. It makes playing video games really annoying when there is supposed to be a silent scene. I am thinking this may be dirty power through the USB and was wondering if any of you would know if something like the jitterbug or just a DAC with an outboard power source would fix this?

EDIT: Also, never ever clean anything you are about to take glamor shots of with a cloth if you haven't checked it for lint... Lesson learnt.

Great pics. Looks like a solid and attractive setup. A dedicated DAC/amp with a wall wart (as long as you have clean power) should fix your noise issue. My Fostex HP-A4BL is silent (no hiss) at full volume even with my IEM's plugged in to it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
First time delving into the audiophile world... am I doing it right?

5VGNgRJ.jpeg

YKcctAv.jpeg

t0NH0e9.jpeg

Album

Seriously though, how much of a difference would I get by upgrading the Fiio to a better stand alone DAC?

As it is I hear a noise whenever my computer is under heavy load even when nothing is playing. It makes playing video games really annoying when there is supposed to be a silent scene. I am thinking this may be dirty power through the USB and was wondering if any of you would know if something like the jitterbug or just a DAC with an outboard power source would fix this?

EDIT: Also, never ever clean anything you are about to take glamor shots of with a cloth if you haven't checked it for lint... Lesson learnt.

How are you finding the emu ebony?

Great pics. Looks like a solid and attractive setup. A dedicated DAC/amp with a wall wart (as long as you have clean power) should fix your noise issue. My Fostex HP-A4BL is silent (no hiss) at full volume even with my IEM's plugged in to it.

TIL what a "wall wart" was. :)

Well I just looked up the Fostex HP-A4BL and spent some time reading the HeadFi forum post about it and ended up learning a lot about noise floor and my issue and how to solve it. So thanks a ton lol. Looks like I really need to get a DAC with an outboard power source and not bother with the jitterbug or usb cleaning devices and hubs and such since those may not be as clean.

Now what would a solid dedicated DAC be for my setup or at least just something that would eliminate the noise? Something not too expensive would be nice since we are saving up for a down payment for my recently deceased grandparents house.

How are you finding the emu ebony?

Holy crap I just realized that I didn't post impressions!

Well let me just say that I am coming from a pair of Sennheiser Game Zero's and Astro A50's before that and Tritton AX Pro's before that... So I am taking my first steps into the world of audiophile anything let alone non gaming branded headsets lol so I'm not going to be able to give a sophisticated critique like some others here but... I am completely blown away. Like Jaw dropping hair standing up on my arms blown away. ESPECIALLY after the little dot i+ and getting the 6HM5 Yugoslav tubes and modding in the burson V5i opamp. I ordered all at the same time but Burson lost the opamp in the mail and had to send a new one so the tubes came first so I rolled them and wasn't really expecting much of a difference but wow, the stock tubes are garbage for the Little Dot. The new 6HM5's made the sound actually separate and... solidify? Sorry, I still don't know all the terminology. There was actually bass now as well. Then came the OpAmp and holy mamajama did this make the most difference... Everything separated even more (Mind Completely blown at this point.), there was more bass(Oh my gawd the bass...), mids and highs and the crazy part was that everything was actually distinguishable... Like I could hear the pick strum each string in certain songs and I could even hear sound bites start and stop for badly mixed music... I never understood what the word soundstage meant till now. What this does for movies/games as well is just freaking magic (I watched the Revenant again for the 5th time and couldn't stop till it was over, it was like a whole new experience). Better than any of the "true surround sound" headphones that I have ever listened to. Like, why did I waist so much of my life on gaming branded cans?

Anyway, I have also come across something that hasn't happened to me for a long time. I am literally addicted to these things. They are all that I think about. I recently bought a 21:9 screen and felt the same way for a while and don't get me wrong, I flipping love it I just can't shake the feeling that I want more, or there is something better and it naggles at me. But I feel like I have to have these cans on at all times now and that feeling isn't dying down, like at all. Maybe it will eventually but I as much as I have binged on these I actually feel content for the first time in forever. Like these are it and I don't need any more. I have arrived lol. It's a weird feeling to try to convey. I guess it's like good sex. You just never get tired of it.

The Schiit Fulla 2 is the least expensive good DAC/amp but it is a no frills unit. No filters, no DSD playback, just a DAC and clean power from the amp. If you want a few more frills then it's tough to do better than the Fostex for the price.

http://schiit.com/products/fulla-2
Yeah, I saw that. Honestly, as long as I can keep it clean and sounding as good as it does now then I will be fine. Thing is that I really like my little dot and I want something to use with it and that Fostex amp/dac looks amazing but I feel like I would be throwing some money away by not using the amp part of it and using it just as a dac wouldn't I?

Antiwhippy

Anyway, I have also come across something that hasn't happened to me for a long time. I am literally addicted to these things. They are all that I think about. I recently bought a 21:9 screen and felt the same way for a while and don't get me wrong, I flipping love it I just can't shake the feeling that I want more, or there is something better and it naggles at me. But I feel like I have to have these cans on at all times now and that feeling isn't dying down, like at all. Maybe it will eventually but I as much as I have binged on these I actually feel content for the first time in forever. Like these are it and I don't need any more. I have arrived lol. It's a weird feeling to try to convey. I guess it's like good sex. You just never get tired of it.

Keep that feeling with you man.

No need to fall into the hole even deeper. :p

deoee

Short update on the HD598 (which I had for longer), ATH M50X and Philips Fidelio X2.

So I'm using a Fiio E10k to drive all of these headphones.

Listening to music with Spotify Premium Extreme quality - wish I had FLACs or CDs or Tidal to compare but oh well...

Most of you know the sound signature of the HD598 so I won't talk about them in particular.
I just wanted to have something "new" to listen to, which is not as neutral as the Sennheiser but with overall good detail, comfort and bass.

The first to arrive for testing were the ATH and I listened tot hem the whole day yesterday.
The come with plenty of accessoires and are really really flexible. These headphones are clamping. While the material is really soft and feels great, the cans themself apply a decent amount of pressure on my head. Even after stretching them for several hours it didn't really lessen the clamp.
The sound is decent to good. There's things I like like the bass which is super nice and really deep. The mids are somewhat more passive I'd say. They are there but are often overshadowed by the prominent bass. But now I come to the part that I can't really get along with - it's the treble. It's super... metallic and really really harsh in my ears. The first time I listened to some of my fav. songs I had to lower the volume / take off the headphones. In Battlefield 1 the sound is really immense, you get the feeling you're really shot. The bullets flying by make such a high pitched HISS that it took me by surprise the first time. There's a slight soundstage but compared to the HD598 everything seems to be way more... opressed.
If it weren't for the comfort and the treble this would be really really good headphones for the price I paid. I'm gonna try them a bit more over the course of the next days, but I find myself looking and wanting to listen on to our next contender...

the Philips Fidelio X2.
Ok they are HUGE, you look like a teddy wearing them. But they are super comfortable. Not as good as the HD598 but close. The Velour earpads are super soft and comfortable, the headband adjusts perfectly onto my head. While being open these cans have really deep and accentuated bass. I really like the sound and feel of the bass, while not being as crisp and oomph as the ATH M50x they are more easy to listen to. The mids here are also a bit surpressed but instead of being overshadowed by the bass, vocals kind of sound like being sang a bit farther away than the rest of the instruments. The treble is very crisp and detailed. I like it but in some cases it feels like it's crackling (maybe it's the tracks?). I really enjoy listening to music with them.
Trying Battlefield 1 again I had a blast playing with these. You can pinpoint everything going on in the battle, a shotgun fired in my face point blank made my ears hurt (not really, but it sounded gorgeous) and there's just a presence of the sound around you.

Just for funs a friend of mine left me Sennheiser HD8 DJ here to compare, which I will write later about.

Hey Neogaf.

For under $100, what are the best WIRELESS headphones I can get which are (A) very comfortable and (B) will sound as good as possible given all the other criteria I just mentioned? I'd also like to have some kind of charging dock/stand, or else I'll never remember to charge them. Bluetooth is preferable to a proprietary system of some sort.

I intend to use these for movies and video games, and will probably never take them outside of my apartment.

I generally hate wearing headphones, but I just moved into a new apartment and the woman next to me says she can hear my speakers, even when I turn them down to the point where I can only just make out what people are saying. I really don't want to disturb her, particularly since she's always so quiet, but I also want to be able to hear stuff.

Xander51

Hey Neogaf.

For under $100, what are the best WIRELESS headphones I can get which are (A) very comfortable and (B) will sound as good as possible given all the other criteria I just mentioned? I'd also like to have some kind of charging dock/stand, or else I'll never remember to charge them. Bluetooth is preferable to a proprietary system of some sort.

I intend to use these for movies and video games, and will probably never take them outside of my apartment.

I generally hate wearing headphones, but I just moved into a new apartment and the woman next to me says she can hear my speakers, even when I turn them down to the point where I can only just make out what people are saying. I really don't want to disturb her, particularly since she's always so quiet, but I also want to be able to hear stuff.

I can't think of any headphones that meet all of your criteria. 99.9 percent of Bluetooth headphones just charge with a USB cable, not a dock. You'd be hard-pressed to find everything you want in the price range you want. Is there any particular reason you want Bluetooth if you're never going outside? You can get some decent wired headphones in the 100 dollar range, but wireless headphones add a premium just thanks to the tech involved. Also, what will you be connecting these to? If you're gaming on console, the current consoles don't support standard Bluetooth headphones.

I can't think of any headphones that meet all of your criteria. 99.9 percent of Bluetooth headphones just charge with a USB cable, not a dock. You'd be hard-pressed to find everything you want in the price range you want. Is there any particular reason you want Bluetooth if you're never going outside? You can get some decent wired headphones in the 100 dollar range, but wireless headphones add a premium just thanks to the tech involved. Also, what will you be connecting these to? If you're gaming on console, the current consoles don't support standard Bluetooth headphones.

Will connect to a computer. It doesn't have to be Bluetooth, but I happen to already have a super long range Bluetooth dongle that I'm confident will work anywhere in my (small) apartment. It want it to be wireless so that I can walk around and still hear stuff, like I can now with my speakers.

That $100 budget isn't a hard limit either, but I don't want to go overkill... See, I am NOT an audiofile. I can easily tell the difference between a pair of Apple Earpods and my father's Bose headphones, but I doubt I could tell the difference between that Bose and a nice Sennhheiser or something.

If there's nothing perfect, let me know what's out there. What's most important is that it's comfortable, wireless in some form, and doesn't sound like crap.

Edit: The other thing I think I could consider is getting new speakers. My current ones have and are designed to be used with a subwoofer--turn off the subwoofer and they sound super crappy. I wonder if I could get some with less bass but good enough mids and highs that I wouldn't notice a problem.

Shure SE215 SPE/LTD/Blue edition vs zero audio tenore. The shures have the sound signature I'm looking for and are durable but I've heard glowing reviews for the the tenore and they are almost 1/3 the price of the shures. What do you guys think?

Nitsuj23

Any word on when Bluetooth 5 headphones will start hitting stores? My Logitech UE6000s finally broke (partly my fault). I'm looking to go wireless because I have an iPhone 7 and it'd just be more convenient. I've knocked my phone off the treadmill too many times by getting my arm tangled in the wire.

I really just want a decent pair of over ear, wireless headphones. I have $75 in gift cards at the Apple Store, but I don't have to purchase there. I was almost thinking about grabbing the wireless Beats, but I don't really want to be one of the dudes that has Beats. Are they decent enough or does anyone have a recommendation?

I don't mind spending $200-400 as I hope to keep them for years. They will be used during exercise - not sure how much that factors into a decision.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

matmanx1

Holy crap I just realized that I didn't post impressions!

Well let me just say that I am coming from a pair of Sennheiser Game Zero's and Astro A50's before that and Tritton AX Pro's before that... So I am taking my first steps into the world of audiophile anything let alone non gaming branded headsets lol so I'm not going to be able to give a sophisticated critique like some others here but... I am completely blown away. Like Jaw dropping hair standing up on my arms blown away. ESPECIALLY after the little dot i+ and getting the 6HM5 Yugoslav tubes and modding in the burson V5i opamp. I ordered all at the same time but Burson lost the opamp in the mail and had to send a new one so the tubes came first so I rolled them and wasn't really expecting much of a difference but wow, the stock tubes are garbage for the Little Dot. The new 6HM5's made the sound actually separate and... solidify? Sorry, I still don't know all the terminology. There was actually bass now as well. Then came the OpAmp and holy mamajama did this make the most difference... Everything separated even more (Mind Completely blown at this point.), there was more bass(Oh my gawd the bass...), mids and highs and the crazy part was that everything was actually distinguishable... Like I could hear the pick strum each string in certain songs and I could even hear sound bites start and stop for badly mixed music... I never understood what the word soundstage meant till now. What this does for movies/games as well is just freaking magic (I watched the Revenant again for the 5th time and couldn't stop till it was over, it was like a whole new experience). Better than any of the "true surround sound" headphones that I have ever listened to. Like, why did I waist so much of my life on gaming branded cans?

Yeah, I saw that. Honestly, as long as I can keep it clean and sounding as good as it does now then I will be fine. Thing is that I really like my little dot and I want something to use with it and that Fostex amp/dac looks amazing but I feel like I would be throwing some money away by not using the amp part of it and using it just as a dac wouldn't I?

Thanks for the impressions. I ordered the Massdrop TH-X00 (which has the same driver as your Emu) and am excited to hear them. I've yet to set foot in to the world of tubes but I am very curious and will probably pick up a tube amp at some point so I am glad you are enjoying yours.

It sounds like you really just need a good DAC in which case a Modi 2 (also from Schiit) would get the job done nicely.

nitewulf

As it is I hear a noise whenever my computer is under heavy load even when nothing is playing. It makes playing video games really annoying when there is supposed to be a silent scene.

Can you describe it? If the noise is coming from the PC, a dedicated outboard DAC probably won't solve the issue, as it'll still be connected from the PC.

I'm having a hard time understanding how your setup is connected? Can you explain?

Tube amps in general are more noise than solid state (it's a white noise that you should hear with volume turned way up, plus the tubes will hiss)

Make sure all your connected devices are connected to the same power supply to ensure there is no ground loop. You can cut off the +5V and ground wires on the USB cable IF the source device has a self powered USB connection (is it the FiiO? it probably does not).

wihio

I have spent just short of 1 month with my HD6XX paired with a Bottlehead Crack that I built and figured I had better put some impressions up.

I have found the HD6XX to be extremely comfortable, with the so-called clamp being a non issue for me. I do appreciate how snugly they fit-- I can move my head in any direction at any speed and do not have to worry about any shifting at all. I have done some 4+ hr sessions with these and found them to be just as comfortable in the last 15 minutes as the first. The build quality seems great and I have not noticed any weak points yet.
My current setup is line out from an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero, which features an ESS ES9023P (Sabre) DAC built in to the Bottlehead Crack. I do not own a separate DAC and have not really found any discussion as to the performance of the built in DAC, but I must say I have not noticed any issues. Then again, I am a newb audiophile! I am curious if I should look for an external DAC at this point or not.
The Bottlehead Crack comes highly recommended as a compliment to the HD6XX/650/600, so I felt that would be a great place to begin. It took 3-4 weeks to receive the kit and the build took me 6 hours 35min. As a complete newb to soldering and electrical work, I would agree with this project being fine for beginners. After a couple Youtube videos related to solder technique I felt plenty confident and dove right in. I had a blast putting it together and testing the various connections with a meter. The amp worked great the first time I plugged it in! I cannot wait to add a Speedball sometime down the road, but I absolutely love the sound currently.

After a month of building a FLAC library, figuring out foobar2000, and exploring many genres of music I must say that I am still blown away each time I put these HD6XXs on. As someone who wears contacts, I would liken the difference in sound with this setup to going from uncorrected vision to contacts/glasses. The clarity, depth, breadth, nuance... Music is new to me again. I love this!

Thanks for the impressions. I ordered the Massdrop TH-X00 (which has the same driver as your Emu) and am excited to hear them. I've yet to set foot in to the world of tubes but I am very curious and will probably pick up a tube amp at some point so I am glad you are enjoying yours.

It sounds like you really just need a good DAC in which case a Modi 2 (also from Schiit) would get the job done nicely.

Yeah, that Modi is what I am looking at right now but first I'll try nitewulf;s reccomendations.

Can you describe it? If the noise is coming from the PC, a dedicated outboard DAC probably won't solve the issue, as it'll still be connected from the PC.

I'm having a hard time understanding how your setup is connected? Can you explain?

Tube amps in general are more noise than solid state (it's a white noise that you should hear with volume turned way up, plus the tubes will hiss)

Make sure all your connected devices are connected to the same power supply to ensure there is no ground loop. You can cut off the +5V and ground wires on the USB cable IF the source device has a self powered USB connection (is it the FiiO? it probably does not).

Yeah, it seems like the sound is coming from the PC as it is there no matter what volume I have the dot set to when I play games or even sometimes when I am scrolling. It's like a erratic static his. It isn't constant but it grows proportionally to what is going on. I imagine it like if fire had a noise when it flickers. I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

Oh, and yeah, my chain is, PC USB port > Fiio micro USB port > then I have a 3.5mm x RCA L,R cable coming off of the Fiio from the 3.5mm coaxial (I think that's what it is anyway, it's the only port that cuts out the amp portion of the Fiio) port in the middle > two RCA ports on the Little Dot > 6.5mm jack > headphones.

The Little Dot is powered through a normal plug which I have plugged into a power strip (Not the same strip as the PC though). The Fiio is powered through the same USB in the chain that I mentioned.

EDIT: Plugging my PC and amp into the same power supply didn't change anything.

Ragejoy

Neo Member
Recently bought some sennheiser 598s and ive been trying to find a good dac/amp to pair it with for my pc/xbox one. Any advice? Tryin to spend around 150$ CAD

Xander51

Recently bought some sennheiser 598s and ive been trying to find a good dac/amp to pair it with for my pc/xbox one. Any advice? Tryin to spend around 150$ CAD

The Xbox doesn't support USB DACs, so you'll need one with an optical input. Hopefully that helps steer you a little bit! I use a Soundblaster G5 with my PC/Mac/PS4 and just live with the controller output on Xbox.

Antiwhippy

Actually can't say I've noticed it, but I've mostly been playing steins gate 0 which isn't exactly a stirling example of positional audio. :p

I'll see if i notice it in my other games, but i cant say i have that issue with mine.

deoee

Short update on the HD598 (which I had for longer), ATH M50X and Philips Fidelio X2.

SNIP

The ATH M50x is def. going to be returned.
It's just too metallic and artificial in the treble and also too uncomfortable to wear a whole day.

The Sennheiser HD8 DJ on the other hand has grown on me. They are fun to listen to.
While it's super "close", has a small soundstage and feels similar to the ATH in terms of sound (deeeeep bass, decent mids) it has no bleeding in from the bass into the mid ranges.
Also it's way more comfortable. The sound is super colored of course but that's what I'm kinda looking for.
EDM sounds amazing on them and you can even listen to Rock etc. without much fatigue because you the treble is a bit laid back.
It's built like a tank and very light. The clamping is there but not really annoying.
My friend offered me to buy them for 80€ cause he does not use them, I might consider getting them just for fun.

http://imgur.com/a/JHeD7

Furthermore I just got the DT770 from another friend.
I just have started listening to them but all I can say, they are impressive for the price and super comfortable. They have nice bass and soundstage but after listening to the Fidelio X2 the DT770 just sound like a light version of them. Not as deep as X2, not as big soundstage as the X2 not as clear, crisp and fun as the X2.
I will listen some more but I think the X2 spoiled me on them.

Antiwhippy

Oh yeah, playing gravity rush 2 and the fulla 2 does reverse channels on mine. Hmmm.

Not too big of a deal so far but I guess.

matmanx1

Yeah, that Modi is what I am looking at right now but first I'll try nitewulf;s reccomendations.

Yeah, it seems like the sound is coming from the PC as it is there no matter what volume I have the dot set to when I play games or even sometimes when I am scrolling. It's like a erratic static his. It isn't constant but it grows proportionally to what is going on. I imagine it like if fire had a noise when it flickers. I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

Oh, and yeah, my chain is, PC USB port > Fiio micro USB port > then I have a 3.5mm x RCA L,R cable coming off of the Fiio from the 3.5mm coaxial (I think that's what it is anyway, it's the only port that cuts out the amp portion of the Fiio) port in the middle > two RCA ports on the Little Dot > 6.5mm jack > headphones.

The Little Dot is powered through a normal plug which I have plugged into a power strip (Not the same strip as the PC though). The Fiio is powered through the same USB in the chain that I mentioned.

EDIT: Plugging my PC and amp into the same power supply didn't change anything.

USB ports on PC's are notorious for introducing noise and jitter and laptops are worse offenders. Schiit makes a product called a "USB De-crapifier" that might do wonders for you. http://schiit.com/products/wyrd

I would also still be curious if a DAC with a wall wart would fix the issue because of the power being pulled from the wall instead of through the USB. I think it probably would but that's just my opinion.

And apologies if it seems like I am shilling for Schiit (hah). I have no skin in the game as far as they are concerned but I am familiar with their products and they seem to make good stuff and sell at great prices.

USB ports on PC's are notorious for introducing noise and jitter and laptops are worse offenders. Schiit makes a product called a "USB De-crapifier" that might do wonders for you. http://schiit.com/products/wyrd

I would also still be curious if a DAC with a wall wart would fix the issue because of the power being pulled from the wall instead of through the USB. I think it probably would but that's just my opinion.

And apologies if it seems like I am shilling for Schiit (hah). I have no skin in the game as far as they are concerned but I am familiar with their products and they seem to make good stuff and sell at great prices.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to try to sell the Fiio and buy a dedicated DAC with a wall wart.

To the bolded, no worries mate, this is how I am with almost all things I recommend so I completely understand and actually appreciate that. :)

Keep that feeling with you man.

No need to fall into the hole even deeper. :p

Oh, I'm keeping it. Or it's keeping me rather. It's keeping me hard. They've got a hold on me man. They ain't letting go.

nitewulf

Yeah, I think I'm just going to try to sell the Fiio and buy a dedicated DAC with a wall wart.

Yeah, problem is this isn't a ground hum issue, the noise is PC noise. But get a dedicated DAC (make sure its asynchronous and the USB connection is isolated against electromagnetic interference) and let us know how that works. Unfortunately there is no way for me to advise without testing equipment, and the only way to do that is to buy them. I would suggest an HRT Music streamer (whatever their most advanced model is), they are amazing for the money, but they are not self powered. If you need USB dac recs, let me know. I'll chime in later, I'm going out now.

Tommy DJ

That's a ground loop issue.

If you've got a powered USB hub, try plugging your Fiio DAC into that first before blowing a billion bucks on a pile of potentially useless audiophile crap. The Wyrd, while potentially better, is basically just that.

Yeah, problem is this isn't a ground hum issue, the noise is PC noise. But get a dedicated DAC (make sure its asynchronous and the USB connection is isolated against electromagnetic interference) and let us know how that works. Unfortunately there is no way for me to advise without testing equipment, and the only way to do that is to buy them. I would suggest an HRT Music streamer (whatever their most advanced model is), they are amazing for the money, but they are not self powered. If you need USB dac recs, let me know. I'll chime in later, I'm going out now.

Please feel free to recommend me a DAC for my needs friend. Just remember I am strapped for cash at the moment as we are saving up for a downpayment on my grandparents home. I wouldn't want to go much more than $100 bucks but at the same time if it's worth it I'll just save up and wait. That's the way I normally do things anyway. :)

That's a ground loop issue.

If you've got a powered USB hub, try plugging your Fiio DAC into that first before blowing a billion bucks on a pile of potentially useless audiophile crap. The Wyrd, while potentially better, is basically just that.

I'll try the USB hub first, but in the mean time, is the Shciit Modi 2 Asynchronous? Can't find info on it anywhere. However I see that the Modi 1 was. Just wondering if anything had changed between models?

Tommy DJ

Yes it is.

Main difference is that the Modi 2 has a different AKM chip and I believe is using an aluminum enclosure rather than a steel enclosure.

X-Frame

The ATH M50x is def. going to be returned.
It's just too metallic and artificial in the treble and also too uncomfortable to wear a whole day.

The Sennheiser HD8 DJ on the other hand has grown on me. They are fun to listen to.
While it's super "close", has a small soundstage and feels similar to the ATH in terms of sound (deeeeep bass, decent mids) it has no bleeding in from the bass into the mid ranges.
Also it's way more comfortable. The sound is super colored of course but that's what I'm kinda looking for.
EDM sounds amazing on them and you can even listen to Rock etc. without much fatigue because you the treble is a bit laid back.
It's built like a tank and very light. The clamping is there but not really annoying.
My friend offered me to buy them for 80€ cause he does not use them, I might consider getting them just for fun.

http://imgur.com/a/JHeD7

Furthermore I just got the DT770 from another friend.
I just have started listening to them but all I can say, they are impressive for the price and super comfortable. They have nice bass and soundstage but after listening to the Fidelio X2 the DT770 just sound like a light version of them. Not as deep as X2, not as big soundstage as the X2 not as clear, crisp and fun as the X2.
I will listen some more but I think the X2 spoiled me on them.

I ordered the X2's this morning -- and couldn't wait 2 days so I selected 1 day shipping, haha. Should be hear tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait to compare them back and forth with my HE-400's listening to my favorite music.

Now I just need to get the V-Moda BoomPro Mic for gaming and I'm all set.

Yes it is.

Main difference is that the Modi 2 has a different AKM chip and I believe is using an aluminum enclosure rather than a steel enclosure.

Sweet, thanks bro!

Now my other question would be, how hard is it to mod or install the optional Multi bit boards on the Schiit hardware? Like if I want to save some money and buy the base Modi model now and upgrade the innards later is it feasible or even possible to do?

Tommy DJ

Not going to be feasible or easy to do. Schiit isn't using straight-off-the-shelf designs and firmware. It's not going to be anywhere near cost effective even if you could do it.

Not going to be feasible or easy to do. Schiit isn't using straight-off-the-shelf designs and firmware. It's not going to be anywhere near cost effective even if you could do it.

Stink. That's what I figured. Well, is the multibit worth it for me? Would I actually see/hear a difference in anything with my setup?

deoee

I ordered the X2's this morning -- and couldn't wait 2 days so I selected 1 day shipping, haha. Should be hear tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait to compare them back and forth with my HE-400's listening to my favorite music.

Now I just need to get the V-Moda BoomPro Mic for gaming and I'm all set.

I see what you did there ;)

Have fun with them, they are really beatiful (also 1-day shipping at Sunday??)

X-Frame

I see what you did there ;)

Have fun with them, they are really beatiful (also 1-day shipping at Sunday??)

Haha whoops. And yeah for certain items (a lot of them actually) through Amazon there are no days off for shipping. The Post Office usually takes over the weekend shipments. I'm not sure if this is available elsewhere in the US but it is in New York.

UP: Wow they arrived at 11 AM, so happy. I just tried them on and it's like wearing a pillow on my head. Never wore headphones so comfortable.

Bloodember

Haha whoops. And yeah for certain items (a lot of them actually) through Amazon there are no days off for shipping. The Post Office usually takes over the weekend shipments. I'm not sure if this is available elsewhere in the US but it is in New York.

UP: Wow they arrived at 11 AM, so happy. I just tried them on and it's like wearing a pillow on my head. Never wore headphones so comfortable.

Yup, USPS will deliver packages on Sunday in many places now. I seen them out delivering packages on a holiday a few weeks ago also.

deoee

That's neat!

Impressions please ;o

matmanx1

Stink. That's what I figured. Well, is the multibit worth it for me? Would I actually see/hear a difference in anything with my setup?

Supposedly the multibit Schiit DAC's are extremely good at resolving detail in a way that delta sigma DAC's can't. I'll be moving to one at some point, probably a Gungnir multibit (Gumby).

That will be later in the year though.

X-Frame

That's neat!

Impressions please ;o

So far I used them for music for about 30 minutes and loved it. But mostly I wore them while gaming, played some Tomb Raider and Titanfall 2 and the difference between my Sony Gold's are quite significant. I can't go back now.

Too bad the V-Moda BoomPro Mic seems to have a 1-2 month shipping date!

So far I used them for music for about 30 minutes and loved it. But mostly I wore them while gaming, played some Tomb Raider and Titanfall 2 and the difference between my Sony Gold's are quite significant. I can't go back now.

Have you tried eBay? Bought mine from a retailer there. May have been Music Friend or something along those lines?

X-Frame

Have you tried eBay? Bought mine from a retailer there. May have been Music Friend or something along those lines?

Thank you!! I cancelled my Amazon order and found it on eBay as in stock from Musician's Friend. Estimate delivery this Friday -- much better than upwards of late February! Even V-Moda's website shows 4-6 week delivery which made me think it was a shortage everywhere. Looks like this seller has some older stock.

deoee

I just use a Zalman clip-on mic with mine :D

Titanfall 2 has astounding positional audio but what really blew me away was Battlefield 1 and some of my fav. live albums :D

Top Bottom