• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Chittagong

Gold Member
For anyone looking to go full retard on audio, this DAC sounds pretty dope. Actually the whole stack apart from the CD player is part of the DAC experience.

dcs_vivaldi_20.jpg

So there is the main DAC unit. But there is also an 'upsampler' unit that 'accesses music from any digital source and converts the audio from its native sample rate to either high resolution DXD (24-bit data at 352.8 or 384kS/s), DSD (1-bit data at 2.822MS/s or 5.644MS/s) or standard high resolution PCM (24-bit data up to 192kS/s) for a more vibrant, three-dimensional, transparent and effortless performance'. And if that's still too ghetto for you, there is also a 'master clock' unit that 'sets world-beating standards for accuracy and control of troublesome jitter from the incoming audio stream'

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/dcs_vivaldi_20.htm

Tommy DJ

What the fuck, I can't believe that you can hook that thing to a GPS-disciplined oscillator. That's neurotic beyond belief and completely useless in the real world, because most people buying these things don't know the first thing about room treatments and jitter is a non-issue because no one has been able to describe to me what it sounds like, but that's actually kind of cool.

deoee

I just found out I can connect two pairs of headphones to my Fiio E10k, that makes comparing the headphones so much easier :D :D

Chittagong

Gold Member
What the fuck, I can't believe that you can hook that thing to a GPS-disciplined oscillator. That's neurotic beyond belief and completely useless in the real world, because most people buying these things don't know the first thing about room treatments and jitter is a non-issue because no one has been able to describe to me what it sounds like, but that's actually kind of cool.

I like that how GPS failing, you can also hook it up to an atomic clock. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these bad boys, jitter be gone!

http://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/audiophile-10m/

rac

Banned
this question probably gets asked a million times in here but what are the best wireless headphones primarily for the gym?

do you guys think the sound quality is good enough?

nitewulf

Is there a Brexit discount? Jokes aside wow... um.

Don't worry, you get a massive discount if buying used. With the money you save you can get a Benz C Class.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/c...-system-2017-01-23-digital-70508-lafayette-la

That said DCS are very highly regarded and well, these gears are meant for the super rich. I do have more respect for companies like Nagra who have a rich engineering history behind them and let their products do the talking, even though their products are also uber expensive.

Please feel free to recommend me a DAC for my needs friend. Just remember I am strapped for cash at the moment as we are saving up for a downpayment on my grandparents home. I wouldn't want to go much more than $100 bucks but at the same time if it's worth it I'll just save up and wait. That's the way I normally do things anyway. :)

Hey man, I'll just say wait if its not that big of a deal, IMO house is a much bigger priority. A few months down the line let me know, I think the $200 - $500 range are where a lot of the good features are found.
I don't think the powered hub will solve the issue as the noise will be transmitted through the hub. Only way to test it is to cut off the +5V and ground wires and only keep the signal wires for a USB cable. And only way that will work is with a DAC that has a powered USB port. But give it a shot, who knows.

this question probably gets asked a million times in here but what are the best wireless headphones primarily for the gym?

Wireless sound quality for gym/outdoor activity has yet to hit decent yet. I have tried all sorts of stuff as I hike every day and I still go back to wired earbuds.

My current headphones:

Cloud 2 (takstar pro 80)
Sennheiser hd598 C's
Philips shp9500 (borrowing to try out)

For source I've just been using the USB sound card that came with the cloud 2. It seems clean to me. I also have a Sennheiser USB game 1 sound card adapter that seems OK, but it has a slight buzz on idle. The onboard on my z170-a is awful and muddy (alc892 but it blows).

I'm looking at getting a budget DAC just to ensure the best source for my cans. Would a Fiio e10k be good? Any other recommendations? Do I really even need a DAC/amp?

Thanks.

deoee

I might give the Sennheiser HD8 DJ the "win" from my comparison.

I found a constellation where I can wear them for hours and with Equalizer APO I can adjust the bass slightly so it's not too dominant for me.
They sound the most different form all tested ones compared to my HD598 and are typical Sennheiser quality.
Everything is there, detailed and it has a decent soundstage for closed DJ cans.

With the price I'll pay for them it's not really worth it to take any of the other competitors.
If I had to pay retail tho, I'd def. keep the Fidelio X2 over the DT770 and ATH M50x

Bloodember

My current headphones:

Cloud 2 (takstar pro 80)
Sennheiser hd598 C's
Philips shp9500 (borrowing to try out)

For source I've just been using the USB sound card that came with the cloud 2. It seems clean to me. I also have a Sennheiser USB game 1 sound card adapter that seems OK, but it has a slight buzz on idle. The onboard on my z170-a is awful and muddy (alc892 but it blows).

I'm looking at getting a budget DAC just to ensure the best source for my cans. Would a Fiio e10k be good? Any other recommendations? Do I really even need a DAC/amp?

Thanks.
If your happy with what you have, don't worry about it. But if you want a nice inexpensive DAC/amp give the Schit Fulla 2 a look.

HiResDes

Sell all your lower mid tier headphones and buy something really nice that kind of satisfies all of your needs don't get stuck in the mid fi purgatory like me.

X-Frame

It's insane how much better gaming sounds on the Fidelio X2's compared to my Sony Gold's. Titanfall 2 sounds ridiculous now.

To me, the improved audio quality is worth going back to a single cable.

matmanx1

Sell all your lower mid tier headphones and buy something really nice that kind of satisfies all of your needs don't get stuck in the mid fi purgatory like me.

Yeah if I have any regret at all about the recent TH-X00 group buy on Massdrop it is that it wasn't in "the plan" and is, at best, a small upgrade over the HP's that I already own. Once I get the TH-X00's in and spend some time getting to know them it will be officially time for a culling of one, two or maybe even all three HP's in favor of one dynamite HP.

Curiosity and a credit card is a dangerous thing.

I don't think I'll be upgrading my gear if at all for many years..

Back when I started buying audio gear.. before my Schiit stack, I had a couple of FiiO amps and DACs back in 2011...

Got the Modi and Magni in November of 2013.. thus began my audio madness..

by the end of December of that year, I'd upgraded to a Bifrost Uber w/ usb gen2 and a Vali.

Then I really went overboard in January 2014 and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD800.

Didn't buy anything else til 2016.. and then I bought the Ether-C headphones in April and then the Gungnir Multibit and the Mjolnir 2 amp in May..

Now I've reached a point gear wise that I can't fathom anything that sounds better than this setup.

I'm done! Done, I tell you! If anyone sees me talking about buying anything else in this thread.. smack me with a heavy object, please.

Elixtar

As Flying Toaster pointed out, the quality isn't quite there yet, at least for reasonable prices.

Personally, I went with the Plantronics Backbeat Fit because it has good sound, features, and most importantly, no dangling wires. You can find it on sale for under $100. Note there is also last year's model that's cheaper and has a different reflective pattern which you can find on sale for $60.

...Then I really went overboard in January 2014 and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD800.

Didn't buy anything else til 2016.. and then I bought the Ether-C headphones in April and then the Gungnir Multibit and the Mjolnir 2 amp in May...

As someone with an HD800S who is eyeing the Ether Flow, would you mind giving a comparison of the two and the kind of music you listen to?

As someone with an HD800S who is eyeing the Ether Flow, would you mind giving a comparison of the two and the kind of music you listen to?

I listen to most kinds of music.. (though not really house or dubstep).. if I had to choose, I'd go with the HD800 between the two.. but I haven't heard the Ether Flow(I have the closed model) or the HD800S, I just used the superdupont mod on my HD800. They both sound great, though.. I didn't really want to pick.. so I got both. I didn't like the Ether-C enough to want to sell my HD800.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Do you guys keep your old headphones when you upgrade?

I give them to my family, especially the ones I hate. Gave my dad a Havi B3, a Sennheiser Momentum, and something else I can't remember.

Gave my brother my beloved Ostry KC06A, because I love the asshole.

The only one I've kept post upgrade was the Viso HP50, because it's so damn good, will be a great fallback if something happens to my PM-3.

A while ago I asked here about the Sony XB80BS - nobody answered, so I ended up trying it for myself (and also sampled whatever Bose's latest wireless Powerbeats is).

Really, you're buying these for freedom of movement and not dealing with wires. Sound is clear enough for a noisy gym, but there won't be much difference between models in the same range.

Fou-Lu

Can anyone recommend me some sub-$100 IEMs to use when I am in bed to watch podcasts and play 3DS without disturbing my sleeping girlfriend? I'd also probably use them when I don't feel like wearing and carrying my momentums or M50s out and about.

HiResDes

Can anyone recommend me some sub-$100 IEMs to use when I am in bed to watch podcasts and play 3DS without disturbing my sleeping girlfriend? I'd also probably use them when I don't feel like wearing and carrying my momentums or M50s out and about.
GR07 Classic or Fidue A65

matmanx1

Back when I started buying audio gear.. before my Schiit stack, I had a couple of FiiO amps and DACs back in 2011...

Got the Modi and Magni in November of 2013.. thus began my audio madness..

by the end of December of that year, I'd upgraded to a Bifrost Uber w/ usb gen2 and a Vali.

Then I really went overboard in January 2014 and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD800.

Didn't buy anything else til 2016.. and then I bought the Ether-C headphones in April and then the Gungnir Multibit and the Mjolnir 2 amp in May..

Now I've reached a point gear wise that I can't fathom anything that sounds better than this setup.

I'm done! Done, I tell you! If anyone sees me talking about buying anything else in this thread.. smack me with a heavy object, please.

Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2 are the exact combo that I have in my head right now for a desirable upgrade path from my Fostex HP-A4BL DAC/amp. The Fostex is a good starter/ portable unit and will serve as a reference point as I continue to dial in the type of headphone(s) that I prefer but I also know that there are improvements to be had with superior components down the road.

Anytime you want to upgrade hardware just purchase more music. But yes if you are happy stay away from new stuff it is dangerous and costly for little to no gain.

deoee

I have the Fiio e10k currently - is there a decently priced DAC with an built in equalizer so I don't have to fiddle with Equalizer APO?

Parmenide

Need some opinions on the DT880 PRO. How does it compare to other headphones in the same price-range? Looking for something comfortable, durable and with good sound quality, for around 200 euros.

matmanx1

So it appears I may have just scored a lightly used Schiit Lyr 2 amp for $275 from a seller on Amazon. The seller has emailed me and said it works and includes the original box and cables and is in very good condition. If all that is true then I feel like I am getting a heck of a deal.

It's not a Mjolnir 2 (which is sort of my "endgame" amp) but it also doesn't have the Mjolnir 2's totally balanced architecture and is more flexible to unbalanced HP's as a result. Seeing as how all of my current HP's use SE cables the Mjolnir 2 would be somewhat overkill right now.

Jay Sosa

KRK KNS8400

hp are excellent, thanks dude.

super comfy and excellent sound for the low price. Compared them to my old yamaha*, which I thought are pretty decent, and the difference is night and day.

Listened to Marvin's 'Here my Dear' yesterday and maaaaan, really impressive.

*Yamaha HPH-200 which are only about 50 bucks cheaper but imho sound a lot less impressive.

HiResDes

hp are excellent, thanks dude.

super comfy and excellent sound for the low price. Compared them to my old yamaha*, which I thought are pretty decent, and the difference is night and day.

Listened to Marvin's 'Here my Dear' yesterday and maaaaan, really impressive.

*Yamaha HPH-200 which are only about 50 bucks cheaper but imho sound a lot less impressive.

They're pretty brutal with bad recordings, that's why I don't recommend them to everyone, like I have pretty mediocre ears and I noticed how poorly mastered a lot of the shit I listen to happens to be when listening through those. Really glad you're enjoying them and if you ever need studio headphones you now have them.

matmanx1

Do you guys keep your old headphones when you upgrade?

Well, I'm going to keep three or four headphones / IEM's but anymore than that and something will have to go. Right now I'm at two headphones and one IEM but my TH-X00's are coming next week and I will probably sell at least one of the headphones after I have a chance to try them out.

Jay Sosa

They're pretty brutal with bad recordings, that's why I don't recommend them to everyone, like I have pretty mediocre ears and I noticed how poorly mastered a lot of the shit I listen to happens to be when listening through those. Really glad you're enjoying them and if you ever need studio headphones you now have them.

No doubt, but since my taste has shifted to classical and soul music (at least when I'm at home) it's not as much of an issue as it was when Iistening to some hip hop records on my MEElectronics A151 (which unfortunately broke) which are equally unforgiving. Plus it really makes you appreciate well produced music that much more.

Can't wait to listen to Thriller on these.

matmanx1

Teaks are due in on Wed. I'm seriously considering staying home from work to spend the day enjoying them.

I know the feeling. The TH-X00's are due in about the same time at my house and I am really, really curious as to what I will think about them. Will I like them enough for them to be my daily driver? (I think that is unlikely given what I know about them but I could be totally wrong!) Will they sound good and fun enough for certain types of things? Will they pass my comfort test?

I'm searching for a daily driver that possesses certain sonic qualities and has a very high comfort level. I thought the MA900's would be that headphone but the more time I spend with them the more the missing low end and rolled off bass bothers me. (Edit - Decided to list my MA900's on Ebay with a starting bid of $199 and they already have a bid! That was fast!)

If the TH-X00's don't do it for me then my next stop will probably be the new Nighthawk Carbon or Nightowl Carbon which I am hearing very good things about in terms of comfort and clarity.

anddo0

Got my SMSL SD793-II in the mail today.. Amazing piece of hardware. Only problem is the only headphones I own that fit are the Sennheiser hd555. I'm in the process of ordering a 1/4 adapter (suggestions?) for the rest of my cans.

The second part of my order arrives tomorrow. The ATH-AD900Xs. It came down to the 900xs and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm.. Did I choose wisely?

I plan to use the ATH-900x for my PS4, combined with the SMSL SD793-II. I know the 900x doesn't require an amp, but it's a much better option than plugging into the DS4.

anddo0

The answer is only "no", if you chose with no research.

Humm.. Care to tell me why I made a mistake?

I did indeed research. I didn't want a gimmicky "gaming headset".. The only other headphone I considered in this range was the Fidelio 2; but didn't want to pay that price.

I currently own

Sennheiser hd555
ATH-M50 (head band leather is all but pealed off)
Sony MDR-1000x
Sony 950 BT
Pulse Elites
Sony MDRZX110NC

Top Bottom