• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Got the Angie's recently and I gotta say they are very impressive. I've auditioned 10+ TOTL (universals) IEM's and Angies gotta be the best I've heard so far.

I saw that post on HF and instantly knew it was you lol ( recognized your set up/ phones you owned). Probably a sign that I spend way too much time in this thread and on HF :l

Congrats on winning the JH lotto btw. Like Des alludes to, me and my friend weren't quite as lucky. (I went thru three pairs before I got one I was satisfied with). I started out at 1 o'clock but eventually settled for 12. At the moment, I just want something comparable to the Angie in a smaller form factor. Hoping that the R2Pro is the ticket.

LProtag

So what should I expect in terms of sound going from Grado SR60's to these new M40x's? Just curious. I've never experimented with other nicer headphones before and I've been using the Grados for years and years now.

I realize this is probably a sidegrade rather than an upgrade, but I don't really have the money to spend on anything more and I couldn't pass up that Amazon deal.

HiResDes

Most definitely a side grade... I wouldn't expect much different, M40x might have a little more bass, treble is less forward, midrange might be a bit more detailed but more of a wash really. Grados are a bit less comfy.
Overall I think you'll find the M40x to be a better all arounder but ultimately less exciting with genres like rock and pop.

LProtag

Most definitely a side grade... I wouldn't expect much different, M40x might have a little more bass, treble is less forward, midrange might be a bit more detailed but more of a wash really. Grados are a bit less comfy.
Overall I think you'll find the M40x to be a better all arounder but ultimately less exciting with genres like rock and pop.

That's not so bad then, considering these are replacing them as my go-to headphones. As I said, my SR60's are kinda beat up.

Hi everyone, I'm looking for recommendations, but let me explain my situation first.

First, I really lost it with the whole DAC and Amp thing, yes I understand that I need it.

My situation: Bought a TV last year, this year a Ps4, my old Triton pro died. My,girlfriend is practically living now in my apartment, I'm also working nightshifts.

So open headphones are fine, I need them for movies, gaming, and maybe 10% for music (no particular genre).

So I'm looking for headphones, checked out the Philips X2, Akg 712 pro, Sennheiser HD 700. Should be in that price range, not more than 500 € on the phones. Somebody any recommendations which one I can check out? Best for my use?

For the amp, was looking into the Mixamp pro, because if I understand it correctly, for the mic (modmic is fine?), and the whole gaming aspect (FPS, sound locating) I need an Astro Mixamp, or are there any options? DSS2?

And than I need a second amp to drive the headphones with enough power, like fiio etc. Am I right? But witch one, there are so many?

I'm sorry to ask all these questions but where better ask than here ^_~

EditEdit: can't decide between X2 and the pros, mad Lust Envys didn't helped...

Editeditedit: Schiit Magni 2 good for either X2 or 712 pro?

Editediteditedit: Got the feeling, I'm talking to myself ^_^

But, Am I correct, that the schiit stake Modi, Magni Uber 2, would also work with ps4, mic over USB (snowball blue etc). Do I lose the digital Dolby sound if I'm not going with the Mixamp pro?

Again I'm sorry, complete beginner...Thanks for reading...

Howdy, I have an ATH-M50 with spiral cord. The rubberised coating has worn through somehow. A tiny strip of copper is showing unfortunately.

I've looked at getting spares from Audio Technica and they seem to do them but I'd prefer to do a repair if that's safe to do so. Any suggestions? I've not contacted them to check the price but I'm expecting it to be $30+ or something unreasonable.

yFNliba.jpg

edit. Yep, expensive.
curly 136302080 £19.90
straight 136301470 £14.39

HiResDes

Hi everyone, I'm looking for recommendations, but let me explain my situation first.

First, I really lost it with the whole DAC and Amp thing, yes I understand that I need it.

My situation: Bought a TV last year, this year a Ps4, my old Triton pro died. My,girlfriend is practically living now in my apartment, I'm also working nightshifts.

So open headphones are fine, I need them for movies, gaming, and maybe 10% for music (no particular genre).

So I'm looking for headphones, checked out the Philips X2, Akg 712 pro, Sennheiser HD 700. Should be in that price range, not more than 500 € on the phones. Somebody any recommendations which one I can check out? Best for my use?

For the amp, was looking into the Mixamp pro, because if I understand it correctly, for the mic (modmic is fine?), and the whole gaming aspect (FPS, sound locating) I need an Astro Mixamp, or are there any options? DSS2?

And than I need a second amp to drive the headphones with enough power, like fiio etc. Am I right? But witch one, there are so many?

I'm sorry to ask all these questions but where better ask than here ^_~

EditEdit: can't decide between X2 and the pros, mad Lust Envys didn't helped...

Editeditedit: Schiit Magni 2 good for either X2 or 712 pro?

Editediteditedit: Got the feeling, I'm talking to myself ^_^

But, Am I correct, that the schiit stake Modi, Magni Uber 2, would also work with ps4, mic over USB (snowball blue etc). Do I lose the digital Dolby sound if I'm not going with the Mixamp pro?

Again I'm sorry, complete beginner...Thanks for reading...
I'm on mobile so bare with me. I'd recommend the Fidelio X2 since they're pretty efficient and will sound good out of any source. I'd probably go with the Schiit Fulla as it's more portable and I think has more than enough power for the Fidelio. I'm not sure if the Fulla supports Dolby headphone my guess would be that it doesn't. If you're going to be playing on the console and PC then the Mixamp might be a better choice, but you're gonna want to make sure your computer has a decent soundcard or you could purchase a cheap DAC like the Fulla or even the Hifimediy. I think you'll find the soundstage to be impressive even without the Dolby headphone. I'd definitely think about buying the vmoda Boompro for convenience sake too.

Aizo

Banned
Finally got around to reading this about objective vs. subjective reviews of audio equipment, and it's pretty awesome. I had also been getting into wine the past year, so it makes me really question my own tastes.

Definitely read it. It could save you a lot of money.

I'm on mobile so bare with me. I'd recommend the Fidelio X2 since they're pretty efficient and will sound good out of any source. I'd probably go with the Schiit Fulla as it's more portable and I think has more than enough power for the Fidelio. I'm not sure if the Fulla supports Dolby headphone my guess would be that it doesn't. If you're going to be playing on the console and PC then the Mixamp might be a better choice, but you're gonna want to make sure your computer has a decent soundcard or you could purchase a cheap DAC like the Fulla or even the Hifimediy. I think you'll find the soundstage to be impressive even without the Dolby headphone. I'd definitely think about buying the vmoda Boompro for convenience sake too.

Hi, thank you so much for your reply, I'm a total newbie to all that headphone thing on a console.

I would only use it on the ps4, if that makes any difference .

Fidelio would be perfect, even 100€ less than the AKGs.

For the amp, DAC, don't know if i need Dolby headphone, my only concern is the locating if I play battlefield etc. Somebody have any experience with the difference?

Is there a DAC, amp, with optical input and Dolby support?

Portability of the DAC amp is no concern, headphones will only be at home on a hopefully nice stand.

Can I use the vmoda, with any amp, because if I'm correct the vmoda would be between amp and headphone on just one output/input?

Thank you again ^_^

Edit: And sorry about all that questions, I just want to do (buy) the right things.

On last question, would the sound of the Mixamp be a lot worse than on other amps. Do they really change the sound, and my uneducated ear would hear the difference?

HiResDes

No the V-Moda Boompro attaches to the X2 perfectly given that it bares a detachable cable, and the soundstage of the X2 should help with positional cues, but you could always spring for the Mixamp later. The Mixamp adds the 5.1 surround sound, which kind of artificially expands the soundstage, making it pretty cool for gaming but not so great for music.

No the V-Moda Boompro attaches to the X2 perfectly given that it bares a detachable cable, and the soundstage of the X2 should help with positional cues, but you could always spring for the Mixamp later. The Mixamp adds the 5.1 surround sound, which kind of artificially expands the soundstage, making it pretty cool for gaming but not so great for music.

Okay, got you. Mixamp for gaming, vmoda for the mic. For music some DAC/amp combi. For my late movie nights Mixamp would be fine?

Thanks for answering my questions. Headphones will be 70% gaming, 20 movies, 10 music (long train rides with my z3)

HiResDes

I'm not sure you're gonna even need a DAC, but if you do just get something really cheap like I said before Fulla or hifimediy, and you can then hook the Mixamp up to that and then the headphones to the Mixamp.

I'm not sure you're gonna even need a DAC, but if you do just get something really cheap like I said before Fulla or hifimediy, and you can then hook the Mixamp up to that and then the headphones to the Mixamp.

Not sure because of power or because of my use? The Mixamp works as a DAC as far as I know, my concern was that it will not give me enough power but with the X2 (30 ohm) it shouldn't be a problem. Thank you anyway for the clarification, will try it out. And be sure I will think of you, and send you some thankful thoughts ^_~

Volotaire

Hi Headphone GAF. I have a question.

Are the Zero Audio Tenore still a very good budget choice of IEM earphones? I can currently purchase a pair for £23. £35 is about my maximum budget.

EDIT: how do the Basso compare? They are the same price too. Do these sets of earphones usually attract duplicate fakes?

LProtag

I just got the M40x's in today, and it's interesting comparing them to the SR60s. I feel like it's easier to hear distinct parts in classical pieces, but rock music is a little more 'boring'. Also I keep feeling like the right side might be a tad louder, but I think that might just be that I can hear more of a distinction between the left and right channels with stereo recordings.

HiResDes

Not sure because of power or because of my use? The Mixamp works as a DAC as far as I know, my concern was that it will not give me enough power but with the X2 (30 ohm) it shouldn't be a problem. Thank you anyway for the clarification, will try it out. And be sure I will think of you, and send you some thankful thoughts ^_~
You're right, the Mixamp is technically a DAC too, but I think many people use a more respected dac or soundcard to lead into the Mixamp. I think you'll be fine with just the Mixamp though and the X2 sound fine unimpeded.
Hi Headphone GAF. I have a question.

Are the Zero Audio Tenore still a very good budget choice of IEM earphones? I can currently purchase a pair for £23. £35 is about my maximum budget.

EDIT: how do the Basso compare? They are the same price too. Do these sets of earphones usually attract duplicate fakes?
The Tenore are still an incredible value, sporting near unparalleled sound quality within their price range. However the quality control and build quality of even the legit models is a bit shaky. And I do believe both the Basso and Tenore have fakes out. The Basso are pretty good but feature a less detailed V-shaped sound signature that's bit more fun with certain genres. I think the Ostry KC06 are a good alternative to the Tenore, though a bit pricier, but they have better build quality. The Vsonic VSD3 is a good alternative to the Basso.

I just got the M40x's in today, and it's interesting comparing them to the SR60s. I feel like it's easier to hear distinct parts in classical pieces, but rock music is a little more 'boring'. Also I keep feeling like the right side might be a tad louder, but I think that might just be that I can hear more of a distinction between the left and right channels with stereo recordings.
How about the differences in the low end?

Tommy DJ

1) Grado SR60s have a recessed midrange. The better tonal balance of the M40x is the thing that is helping you better differentiate sections in classical music.
2) Differences in channels could be a result of channel imbalance. It wouldn't surprise me.

HiResDes

It looks beautiful but if that's yours I never will understand the appeal of paying all that money for a nice DAP and then feeling as if you have to Daisy chain it to other devices to get it to sound good.

It looks beautiful but if that's yours I never will understand the appeal of paying all that money for a nice DAP and then feeling as if you have to Daisy chain it to other devices to get it to sound good.

There are people who buy an AK240 to use as a transport for the Chord Hugo dude... just... SMDH.

mr stroke

Howdy, I have an ATH-M50 with spiral cord. The rubberised coating has worn through somehow. A tiny strip of copper is showing unfortunately.

I've looked at getting spares from Audio Technica and they seem to do them but I'd prefer to do a repair if that's safe to do so. Any suggestions? I've not contacted them to check the price but I'm expecting it to be $30+ or something unreasonable.

edit. Yep, expensive.
curly 136302080 £19.90
straight 136301470 £14.39

my cables are doing the same thing, does changing the M50's cables require a mod and soldering, etc.., does AT let you send them in for replacement? or can I just unscrew and swap cables?

aznpxdd

I don't, that's why I got it. DX90 + VorzAmp is the beast that's "portable", the junior will be my "pocketable" set up. =P

None of them need the Pure II to sound good, but when you got the best portable amp in the industry to pair with, why not use it?!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Got the AK Junior today, god damn this thing is gorgeous.

Beauty & The Beast =)

Absolutely beautiful - but where did you get it in black?

I've been debating on splurging on one for a month or so, but have only seen silver.

Damn, how much I wish it had wi-fi. I know, I know... blasphemy; but it would make it so much more exciting for me.

Easily one of the best looking consumer electronic devices of the last few years, IMO.

aznpxdd

Absolutely beautiful - but where did you get it in black?

I've been debating on splurging on one for a month or so, but have only seen silver.

Damn, how much I wish it had wi-fi. I know, I know... blasphemy; but it would make it so much more exciting for me.

Easily one of the best looking consumer electronic devices of the last few years, IMO.

The black AK Junior is China exclusive I believe.

Couple more pics:

Totakeke

Anyone has any recommendations for a circumaural closed headphones, mainly for gaming use? It doesn't have to be portable but the cable should be lightweight because I intend to plug it into controllers and I don't want the cable weighing the controller down or the long cable making me fight with the controller. Currently using my ES3x for it but want something more comfy for longer sessions. Price isn't much of a concern, but I don't exactly need amazing sound quality for this.

HiResDes

Anyone has any recommendations for a circumaural closed headphones, mainly for gaming use? It doesn't have to be portable but the cable should be lightweight because I intend to plug it into controllers and I don't want the cable weighing the controller down or the long cable making me fight with the controller. Currently using my ES3x for it but want something more comfy for longer sessions. Price isn't much of a concern, but I don't exactly need amazing sound quality for this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119705-REG/akg_328h00010_k553_pro_closed_back_studio.html

HiResDes

anyone ever heard of these Nobsound tube amps?

Looking for a new desktop amp for my HD700's and found these on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MN5NDYA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

tD9U4bG.jpg

Searched and didn't find much on them, but for $200 it looks super cool, and has good Amazon reviews. Bullshit or Good?
It's a decent hybrid, but if you're looking for a cheap powerful tube I think Bravo is the way to go. The V3 is pretty good especially at its price, but if you're gonna spend 200 why not go with the Little Dot MK2 or the Aune T1 MK2?

mr stroke

It's a decent hybrid, but if you're looking for a cheap powerful tube I think Bravo is the way to go. The V3 is pretty good especially at its price, but if you're gonna spend 200 why not go with the Little Dot MK2 or the Aune T1 MK2?

Actually had the Bravo V3 in my cart, but some Amazon reviews say it picks up static hum from not being shielded and open?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The black AK Junior is China exclusive I believe.

Couple more pics:

That's breathtakingly beautiful. I think I'm gonna have to find one to import - I know the sound is the most important part; but I can't argue it's the design that's pushing me over the edge.

I have a Fiio X1 paired with a Practical Devices 9V amp and Bowers & Wilkins C5s right now. I think I'm gonna upgrade to this as a more portable, and more beautiful, all-in-one solution.

aznpxdd

That's breathtakingly beautiful. I think I'm gonna have to find one to import - I know the sound is the most important part; but I can't argue it's the design that's pushing me over the edge.

I have a Fiio X1 paired with a Practical Devices 9V amp and Bowers & Wilkins C5s right now. I think I'm gonna upgrade to this as a more portable, and more beautiful, all-in-one solution.

I'm still burning the JR in right now, but I like what I hear so far.

From the recent reviews, the JR seems to bests even the X5 Gen 2, so really you have nothing to worry about in the sound quality front compared to your X1.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How do you burn in an audio player?

It doesn't even have the movable parts excuse that people use for headphones.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, fair enough if that's the case. It's just that I often see people talking about burning in DACs and solid state amps which makes me go "what?".

HiResDes

Yeah, fair enough if that's the case. It's just that I often see people talking about burning in DACs and solid state amps which makes me go "what?".
I know I stay mum on lots of subjects because I'm poor and I can't afford to buy into things like hundred dollar cables making big differences.

I'm looking for some new headphones. My top price would be anything around $150. I listen mostly to pop and dance music, and I'd be using these for gaming as well. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD598s. Any suggestions?

HiResDes

I'm looking for some new headphones. My top price would be anything around $150. I listen mostly to pop and dance music, and I'd be using these for gaming as well. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD598s. Any suggestions?
Well at 150 I don't think I can think of a better suggestion...

Top Bottom