• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Philips SHP9550 arrived.

Initial impression: Like the V6 but better in almost every way*, aside from having worse isolation and leakage due to being open-back. Thanks for the recommendation! It's, like, exactly what I wanted.

*Well not for monitoring but that's another thing altogether

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's holiday time so time to return to Headphone-GAF. Have been super happy with my Fostex TH-600s and the entry Schiit stack. Have been a bit underwhelmed by my Fiio E17 however and considering upgrading to an Oppo HA-2.

I have been trying to find out without success - does an iPhone 6 Plus output audio from Apple Music over Lightning to Oppo HA-2?

Cryst

I have been trying to find out without success - does an iPhone 6 Plus output audio from Apple Music over Lightning to Oppo HA-2?

Yup, you can select output option A on the HA-2 and it will receive Lightning to USB input from your iPhone 6 Plus. It comes with a Lightning to USB cable or you can use the one that came with your iPhone.

Note for Android: the USB OTG cable that is supplied with the HA-2 is a special cable from Oppo. A standard USB OTG cable will end up draining your Android device's battery.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yup, you can select output option A on the HA-2 and it will receive Lightning to USB input from your iPhone 6 Plus. It comes with a Lightning to USB cable or you can use the one that came with your iPhone.

Note for Android: the USB OTG cable that is supplied with the HA-2 is a special cable from Oppo. A standard USB OTG cable will end up draining your Android device's battery.

Awesome. Thanks. I am thinking of getting a separate on-the-road setup of Oppo HA-3 AMP/DAC and Oppo PM-3 headphones, since the Fostex TH-600s are massive. I'll maybe have them as my design studio headphones with the Schiit stack. Both Oppo products seem to have got rave reviews.

Another headset option I have considered for the road life are a nice higher end pair of in-ear headphones, something like Final Audio Designs. They would certainly be portable, however I don't know if I enjoy the feeling of having my ear canal plugged. I like the basic Apple headphones, but the in-ear ones they did a while ago felt, somehow, claustrophobic.

LQX

My Schiit Asgaurd 2 arrived today. Unfortunately it is damn near a 100 degrees outside and was even hotter in the box I just got from UPS and took it out off. Going to give it a few hours in my cool AC before powering it on. One think I can say before even turning it on is that the quality of materials are damn good. Brushed metal and feels hefty. This will be my first "good" amp though I still love my E9 even though some say it is cheap crap.

aznpxdd

Couple pics of DX50/90 & the JR together in their respective leather cases. Looks nice =)

00e44030_SAM_4131.jpeg

974fc7c0_SAM_4136.jpeg

62c5e9f3_SAM_4137.jpeg

Awesome. Thanks. I am thinking of getting a separate on-the-road setup of Oppo HA-3 AMP/DAC and Oppo PM-3 headphones, since the Fostex TH-600s are massive. I'll maybe have them as my design studio headphones with the Schiit stack. Both Oppo products seem to have got rave reviews.

Another headset option I have considered for the road life are a nice higher end pair of in-ear headphones, something like Final Audio Designs. They would certainly be portable, however I don't know if I enjoy the feeling of having my ear canal plugged. I like the basic Apple headphones, but the in-ear ones they did a while ago felt, somehow, claustrophobic.

Hi Mate i may be able to help you out as i have all the same stuff you are mentioning.

Home:
HA1 with EL8, LCD3, HD800s

Road:
OPPO HA-2, PM3 plus Oppo Find 7(Phone) - these are fantastic sets and at $700 for the setup it's incredible value. Make sure you get the right software so you can listen to hi res music on your new setup.

I dont like FAD at all. I have a set of mine and if you lived in Dubai you can have them. IEMs are terrible and i just cant stand the feeling.

I have the HA1 and HA2 and bother are amazing bang for buck, you cant go wrong. The PM3 is extremely neutral, so the added bass boost from the HA2 is really welcomed.

Just choose the Lightning adapter and small cable when you purchase it - it looks great in white as well (PM3)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hi Mate i may be able to help you out as i have all the same stuff you are mentioning.

Home:
HA1 with EL8, LCD3, HD800s

Road:
OPPO HA-2, PM3 plus Oppo Find 7(Phone) - these are fantastic sets and at $700 for the setup it's incredible value. Make sure you get the right software so you can listen to hi res music on your new setup.

I dont like FAD at all. I have a set of mine and if you lived in Dubai you can have them. IEMs are terrible and i just cant stand the feeling.

I have the HA1 and HA2 and bother are amazing bang for buck, you cant go wrong. The PM3 is extremely neutral, so the added bass boost from the HA2 is really welcomed.

Just choose the Lightning adapter and small cable when you purchase it - it looks great in white as well (PM3)

That's awesome, thanks very much. That resolves my in-ear question, I think I wouldn't stand them in the long run either since they already feel weird on occasional use.

I read your thread on Head-Fi (or it looks like it would be yours) about Audeze EL-8 vs. Oppo PM-3, it was really helpful. Seems pretty clear that EL-8 is not great for travel use. The only things that worry me about the PM-3 are bass and sound stage. The things I really love in my Fostex TH-600s (aside from the neutrality and clarity) are the sense of space they give, and the generous bass. Other than that the PM-3s sound perfect to be my on-the-road headset.

Tommy DJ

The Oppo HA-2 shouldnt even be a consideration when the Geek Out V2 exists.

Also the Oppo PM-3 isn't neutral what on earth. If it is, I'd love to hear the definition of what neutral is. It has boosted bass and treble but not untastefully so. A better term might be that it sounds balanced. Good sounding heqdphone yes, neutral headphone no.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Doesn't work with direct Lightning connection, though? Also I'm unsure if the heat works a device I intend to use only on the road - I have a desktop Schiit stack for home. Looks like an awesome amp though, just not sure if it fits the context here.

Tommy DJ

No, but all you need is an Apple Camera kit (or whatever that Lightning to USB adapter is). Obviously you need the portable Geek Out with internal battery.

Waikis

Also the Oppo PM-3 isn't neutral what on earth. If it is, I'd love to hear the definition of what neutral is. It has boosted bass and treble but not untastefully so. A better term might be that it sounds balanced. Good sounding heqdphone yes, neutral headphone no.

Haven't really looked into PM-3 that much nor tried it, but Tyll's review seems to suggest it is a neutral headphone?
The overall sound quality of the PM-3 is very good indeed. In fact, it may be the most neutral sounding headphone I've experienced. My previous standard in that regard was the NAD VISO HP50,
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...e-mobile-headphone-page-2#z8qg7VQUEiqbux0l.99

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/oppo-pm-3-competent-comfortable-mobile-headphone-page-2#gRTUWjQacHhJ3cKf.97

Haven't really looked into PM-3 that much nor tried it, but Tyll's review seems to suggest it is a neutral headphone?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/oppo-pm-3-competent-comfortable-mobile-headphone-page-2#gRTUWjQacHhJ3cKf.97

Dont worry! Tommy DJ hasnt heard the PM3's either! He just likes to chime in and refute what i say after no experience with the product.

But hey, i said they were a neutral set before even Tyll from Inner fidelity said it - and he knows 10x more than me about headphones.

This quote in particular says to me they MAY be neutral!

The overall sound quality of the PM-3 is very good indeed. In fact, it may be the most neutral sounding headphone I've experienced

So hey, a competent reviewer with many years experience in the field says they are the most neutral headphone he has ever experienced, but "TommyDJ" who hasnt heard them says they are not - who are we supposed to believe?

That's awesome, thanks very much. That resolves my in-ear question, I think I wouldn't stand them in the long run either since they already feel weird on occasional use.

I read your thread on Head-Fi (or it looks like it would be yours) about Audeze EL-8 vs. Oppo PM-3, it was really helpful. Seems pretty clear that EL-8 is not great for travel use. The only things that worry me about the PM-3 are bass and sound stage. The things I really love in my Fostex TH-600s (aside from the neutrality and clarity) are the sense of space they give, and the generous bass. Other than that the PM-3s sound perfect to be my on-the-road headset.

Yep that was mine on there - a few months back but yes that was me.

In terms of Bass - that problem is completely negated by the bass boost function of the HA2 - thats why, dont listen to people who havent actually heard the product telling you not to buy them, purely because i own them, but rather listen to someone who has not only owned these, but traveled extensively with them.

I rarely turn on any function which enhances the sound in these things, but you kinda need it with the oppo because of how neutral they are - for $700 (PM3 + HA2) you cant go wrong.

The EL8 is fantastic, but it is NOT portable. The oppo is, but only if you use the 1.2m cable it comes with rather than the 3m cable.

HiResDes

Tyll's definition of neutral is slightly different than some other reviewers, though I agree with him more. Neutrality for him describes a completely linear headphone that accurately captures and reflects a recording without any coloration. However, he believes that headphones like AD700, which are commonly referred to as neutral are actually bass light, and that having a slight boost in the bass is less of a coloration than an accurate reflection of how things would present themselves to our ears. I'm completely paraphrasing here.

Wide soundstage is probably one of the most misinterpreted spectrums of a headphone I believe. A wide soundstage isn't always superior to an intimate one with every genre. Something can indeed be so wide that things begin to start to sound artificially expansive as if you were sitting in the balcony of an music hall when a recording may have been recorded to simulate being in the front row.

My Schiit Asgaurd 2 arrived today. Unfortunately it is damn near a 100 degrees outside and was even hotter in the box I just got from UPS and took it out off. Going to give it a few hours in my cool AC before powering it on. One think I can say before even turning it on is that the quality of materials are damn good. Brushed metal and feels hefty. This will be my first "good" amp though I still love my E9 even though some say it is cheap crap.

Remember Asgard 2 is a Class A amp, so it will run hotter than hell :D

It's the normal temp operation so don't worry about it, but take note Schiit uses the very same case as a cooler so it gets super hot, you can feel it even in the knob volume.

and yeah, it sounds awesome!!!!!

Tommy DJ

Tyll is a good reviewer but you have to take his subjective opinions and measurements in context. He's good in that he's consistent and if you know his tastes (he likes warm headphones), you can correlate his subjective opinions with the objective measurements.

What he considers neutral seems to be based on the Harmon Target Response curve with a few adjustments to fit his own subjective opinions. His measurements have been compensated with this target curve and, in my opinion, isn't really neutral (too many really subjective adjustments for that to be true) and tells you whether or not the headphone is easy to listen to or not.

I mean in the same sentence he states that the NAD VISO HP50 "previous standard" of neutrality. I can't say I really agree with this. They don't sound ruler flat like if you did with a loudspeaker nor do they sound like loudspeakers EQed following the JBL Synthesis or B&K target curves.

PS: I have listed to the Oppo PM3. I describe them as U shaped. Right in the same damned paragraph (and the next few), he literally says this:

The overall sound quality of the PM-3 is very good indeed. In fact, it may be the most neutral sounding headphone I've experienced. My previous standard in that regard was the NAD VISO HP50, which in comparison now sounds a bit warm and thick. If the PM-3 does deviate from neutral I'd say it had a bit of extra upper-bass/low-mid energy, a bit extra lower-treble, and is slightly rolled off in the top octave. I heard it as very slightly "U" shaped due to the slight upper-bass/low-mid and low treble peaks...initially.

A slightly "U" shaped response means it should sound slightly exciting, but somehow they just don't to me. If anything, they sound slightly boring...again, just slightly. Problem is, for quite a while I really couldn't figure out what was going on that might give me that bland impression. The bass hits hard; mid-range is very well behaved with low distortion; treble seemed slightly forward in the presence region and slightly laid back in the top octave. But there was nothing blatantly obvious that I could figure out.

What do you know, Tyll makes note of it immediately afterwards that comment about neutrality. And guess what, it might sound U shaped because the upper midrange is kind of recessed:

Then, I was listening to Rickie Lee Jones album "Pop Pop" to the track "Dat Dere" and 18 second in the drummer starts some soft brushwork on the snare in the background. I was switching back and forth between the NAD VISO HP50 at the time and, BAM!, it hit me: The brushes on the snare sounded more withdrawn to me on the PM-3 than on the HP50. In words, I characterize this like the difference between "sss" and "th". In numbers, I'd say we're talking about the 4-8kHz region being a little subdued.

This 4-8kHz region can be really horrible sounding if over-accentuated—think piercing sibilance that makes you wince. I've also seen headphones (Philips X2) in which this area is intentionally reduced to make the headphones more pleasant to hear, and it does seem to take the edge off harsh recordings. I wouldn't characterize this as a big problem in the PM-3 because it means they're not strident—even though their presence region (say 800-3kHz) is a bit forward. But having it (4-8kHz) lay back 2-3dB does have it lacking just a little bit of liveliness for me.

Which is pretty obvious if you correlate what he says with the graphs, especially the raw one. Which makes him a pretty decent reviewer because what he says matches with what he has measured more or less.

A lot of people were confused at Tyll calling the Oppo PM-3 neutral. In such a situation, a key aspect to look at is product variation. A quick look on Reddit has keanex and OJNeg noting a "5dB boost of everything below 100Hz" and were confused at Tyll calling them neutral. A quick look on Head-Fi lands me on hans030390's review that has measurements showing large bass emphasis the lower you go (even if we throw out his sub-100hz measurements), which correlate to what keanex and OJNeg heard/measured. So in Tyll's own review he hears them as possibly U shaped due to a recessed mid-range. In my own subjective assessment from demoing them at Addicted to Audio, they more or less correlate to what hans030390 heard.

Chittagong

Gold Member

In terms of Bass - that problem is completely negated by the bass boost function of the HA2 - thats why, dont listen to people who havent actually heard the product telling you not to buy them, purely because i own them, but rather listen to someone who has not only owned these, but traveled extensively with them.

I rarely turn on any function which enhances the sound in these things, but you kinda need it with the oppo because of how neutral they are - for $700 (PM3 + HA2) you cant go wrong.

The EL8 is fantastic, but it is NOT portable. The oppo is, but only if you use the 1.2m cable it comes with rather than the 3m cable.

That helps a lot - I think I have made my decision.

Wide soundstage is probably one of the most misinterpreted spectrums of a headphone I believe. A wide soundstage isn't always superior to an intimate one with every genre. Something can indeed be so wide that things begin to start to sound artificially expansive as if you were sitting in the balcony of an music hall when a recording may have been recorded to simulate being in the front row.

It might be I put overly emphasis on this point. It's probably because earlier this year I auditioned LCD-3s head-to-head with my Fostex TH-600s, and found that I liked more the sense of space the TH-600s had. In comparison, the LCD-3s felt extremely close and tight, heavier to listen. The LCD-3s were naturally superior in many other areas but that initial impression stood out. So if the PM-3s are wider than the LCD-3s that's enough.

Tommy DJ

I dunno how much I'd trust your ears considering you actually believe the Sennheiser HD800 to be completely neutral and generally have a piss poor understanding of audio in general outside of blowing thousands of dollars on whatever What Hi Fi or Head-Fi hypes up next.

Its as if even slightly negative opinions of audiophile equipment you own is a big no-no with you around.

If being an audiophile is defined by the amount of money one spends on audio equipment without any attempt to understand what they're doing, then you're certainly the most authoritative guy here.

I was gonna say, I wouldn't drop the cash on a HA-2 when the Go V2 exists. Better A2Q SABRE chip. Most likely better tonality if CS is to be believed, and much more power on tap (1000 mw) and a switch to accommodate IEMs (100 mw). Only thing is, you could buy the Oppo today, whereas you're at LH's mercy with the GO. I can wait though :l

I thought the PM-3 sounded nicely seductive, but was a bit too laidback for me.

LCfiner

I’ve been out of the high end headphone game for a while as I’ve been doing fine with my speakers but I decided to jump in on some JH Audio Angies after reading so many positive listening impressions (and deciding to take a bit of a chance with JHA’s infamous QC and build quality issues. fingers crossed)

I no longer have any desire for high end open headphones at home and I can’t deal with the size of closed portable headphones for out of the house, so IEMs it is.

I previously owned the Roxanne’s and thought they were very, very good but had hoped they would be a bit more present in the mids and a little more linear. Seems the Angies attempt to address that.

Also seems like some Canadian online retailers are offering them for 1250 CDN tax-in. that’s under 1000 USD after the exchange rate. so the price is pretty decent considering their US MSRP. I figure if I get tired of them, selling them won’t net me major losses...

I’ve been out of the high end headphone game for a while as I’ve been doing fine with my speakers but I decided to jump in on some JH Audio Angies after reading so many positive listening impressions (and deciding to take a bit of a chance with JHA’s infamous QC and build quality issues. fingers crossed)

I previously owned the Roxanne’s and thought they were very, very good but had hoped they would be a bit more present in the mids and a little more linear. Seems the Angies attempt to address that.

Pretty positive you're gonna dig the Angie. They possess electrostatic clarity to my ears, but with a tinge of warmth to the midrange that helps humanize vocals a bit compared to Stax. Angie's are for sure more linear than the Roxy's as well. They compare very well to my UERM when bass dial is set to 12 o'clock.

LCfiner

Pretty positive you're gonna dig the Angie. They possess electrostatic clarity to my ears, but with a tinge of warmth to the midrange that helps humanize vocals a bit compared to Stax. Angie's are for sure more linear than the Roxy's as well. They compare very well to my UERM when bass dial is set to 12 o'clock.

Bam! that’s the shit. Honestly, your previous impressions helped push me one the edge to try them out.

Oh, and I bought - then returned - an Oppo PM3 a few weeks ago. My quick take: Very good sound. a bit warm in the low mids/ mid-bass, decent imaging but constrained sound stage. Comfort is only so-so and the pleather pads heated up my face and made me sweat a bit too much, so I returned them to Oppo.

Sound was about as good as I’ve heard for 400 USD out of a closed, truly portable over-ear headphone. Amazing what Oppo has done with a planar driver.

Waikis

Tyll is a good reviewer but you have to take his subjective opinions and measurements in context. He's good in that he's consistent and if you know his tastes (he likes warm headphones), you can correlate his subjective opinions with the objective measurements.

Thanks for the response, I'm interested in this discussion as I just recommended PM3 to a mate last week. Hopefully I'll be able to test the PM3 this week at A2A.

They don't sound ruler flat like if you did with a loudspeaker nor do they sound like loudspeakers EQed following the JBL Synthesis or B&K target curves

Now, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not too well versed on sound science nor do I read freq response D: ), but isn't the thesis of Dr Olive from Harman goes as follows:
- Users prefer a flat / natural response - but what does a flat response should look like in headphones?
- Diffuse / Free field target response is inappropriate for headphones and thus the Harman target response is born. It's not ruler flat, but you won't expect this to be ruler flat as headphone's don't have room-induced colouration.

You can say that the Harman target is colouration which pleases most people, but isn't the idea of the Harman Target colouration is to match what a neutral speaker would sound like?

And as such, even though NAD HP50 is not necessarily ruler flat, it fits the better Harman Target response - which is now the new neutrality standard for headphones?

Tommy DJ

Loudspeaker measurements have been standardized. You put the speaker in an anachronic chamber and you measure 1m on-axis from them. Measurements, regardless of manufacturer or reviewer, should be pretty consistent if they have the right equipment and allow for cross-comparisons. It doesn't take into consideration room modes but if you're smart about it you can guesstimate what would occur based on loudspeaker design considerations like bass port placement and how deep they actually go. You can't do this with headphones because no one has agreed on a good method of measuring headphones. Sennheiser HD600 plots from Changstar, Golden Ears, Headroom or Inner Fidelity will all look very different from each other but none are really wrong.

All of this work from Harman is really looking at methods of reliably measuring and determining listener preferences in the headphone space. Measuring headphones is pretty complex because they do actually have what are essentially room modes that are influenced by a significant number of factors such as earpad quality, clamping force/seal quality, thickness of the earpads, etc. Harman had a bit of trouble with regards to reliability because some headphones were unable to get a good seal leading to bass leakage. In hindsight, some of the differences people are hearing in the Oppo PM-3 is probably caused by this rather than manufacturing differences as Oppo seems rock solid when it comes to manufacturing quality..

Harman's stance is that we know what good loudspeakers sound/measure like. A good headphone should really sound pretty similar. From past studies, we also know that most people like balanced sounding loudspeakers with a warm tilt, which is proven in Harman's hypothesis.

I believe the Harman Target Response curve is based on participant responses to different EQ settings made on headphones equalized flat so we could get a good understanding of what the typical preferred headphone sound signature is. Tyll has done further 1 to 5dB adjustments to the treble region from memory to fit his subjective tastes. Even if the Harman Target Response was the definition of neutrality, Tyll's adjustments to it mean this isn't really the case.

sdornan

I'm thinking of upgrading my headphones with a pair in the $400 range.

I'm currently using the Sennheiser Momentums. I've never been super impressed by the sound quality of the Momentums; They sound fine but I've never been wowed by them, - they're not as detailed as I'd like and the bass kind of overwhelms the rest of the music sometimes - and I want my next pair to be one that wows me when I listen to them. That said, my biggest issue with them is how uncomfortable they are to wear. I can't listen to them for an extended period of time because they put so much pressure on the sides of my head and the ear cups are too small.

Currently, I'm trying to decide between the Oppo PM-3s, - mainly on the strength of the Wirecutter's recommendation - and the B&O H6s. The Audio Technica ATH-M70x and the Sennheiser HD 650 are also both possibilities, provided I can find the latter for cheap, though the HD 650s have been around for about 15 years so I'm worried they've been outclassed since then by rivals.

Advice?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do you have an amp? Wouldn't buy a HD650 without an amp. Also it seems like the odd one out on that list seeing that it is in no way portable.

Haven't heard the others, but if you want something that is the complete opposite to the momentums, might I recommend the AKG k550? Or the K551, K553, whichever that's easiest for you to find. Same thing really. Detailed highs, lovely mids (I think the momentums have lovely mids too though), and the bass is really tight and extends really deeply, it just doesn't have the body and impact of the momentums, though the momentums can be downright boomy. That's what I like about them though.

Make sure you get a good seal though. They can be finicky that way. I have no problems myself but others do. If it ain't sealed properly there won't be any bass really.

sdornan

Do you have an amp? Wouldn't buy a HD650 without an amp. Also it seems like the odd one out on that list seeing that it is in no way portable.

Haven't heard the others, but if you want something that is the complete opposite to the momentums, might I recommend the AKG k550? Or the K551, K553, whichever that's easiest for you to find. Same thing really. Detailed highs, lovely mids (I think the momentums have lovely mids too though), and the bass is really tight and extends really deeply, it just doesn't have the body and impact of the momentums, though the momentums can be downright boomy. That's what I like about them though.

Make sure you get a good seal though. They can be finicky that way. I have no problems myself but others do. If it ain't sealed properly there won't be any bass really.

Yeah, I probably am not getting an amp for awhile, so that might throw the HD650s out of the running.

They don't have to be portable, I'll be using them mostly at the office.

How do you find the detail of the Momentums? I don't find them all that detailed, not significantly more than my previous pair of ATH-M50s anyway. Just wondering if anyone else's experience lines up with mine.

Antiwhippy

I think your experience with the lack of detail is that they have significantly rolled off treble. It means that the higher frequencies won't reach the same volume as the lower frequencies. So yeah, they can sound muffled and lacking in detail to me when the high notes doesn't extend properly. Especially seeing that I'm used to headphones with pretty aggressive treble, ala the HD251-II and the K550.

People who don't like aggressive treble, or sibilance, tend to prefer their treble rolled off.

I like my momentums well enough, but I know exactly what I get with them.

I think the K550s should be mostly what you're searching for. $150 on amazon too. The Oppo PM3 is also a very well-regarded phone with qualities you seem to seek, but I have no experience with it.

sdornan

I think your experience with the lack of detail is that they have significantly rolled off treble. It means that the higher frequencies won't reach the same volume as the lower frequencies. So yeah, they can sound muffled and lacking in detail to me when the high notes doesn't extend properly. Especially seeing that I'm used to headphones with pretty aggressive treble, ala the HD251-II and the K550.

People who don't like aggressive treble, or sibilance, tend to prefer their treble rolled off.

I like my momentums well enough, but I know exactly what I get with them.

I think the K550s should be mostly what you're searching for. $150 on amazon too. The Oppo PM3 is also a very well-regarded phone with qualities you seem to seek, but I have no experience with it.

Thanks for the assistance, that helps a lot. Strongly leaning towards the Oppo PM3 right now, mostly because I've heard great things about the PM3s and expect a $400 pair of headphones to outclass a $200 pair. I only wish they were sold on Amazon, so I could use my Amazon credit.

Antiwhippy

Go for it. Personally my next headphones in that price range would be the audio technica r70x.

On the cheaper side of things though, received my meelectronics headphones from the Mee-what promotion. Got the m-duos, though I was hoping for the m6-pros. Still happy with it considering what I paid. Typical v-shape signature at this price range, but the bass isn't out of control and the mids aren't overly muffled, with some nice detail and separation.

amnesiac

Well my ATH-M50x jack broke again and I don't feel like paying $50 to get it fixed so I've decided to upgrade. Looking at the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, Sony MDR 1-A, and the Beyerdynamic T5li.

Willing to spend $300... Needs to have a removable audio cable. Any suggestions? Thanks.

edit: reading OP...

HiResDes

Thanks for the assistance, that helps a lot. Strongly leaning towards the Oppo PM3 right now, mostly because I've heard great things about the PM3s and expect a $400 pair of headphones to outclass a $200 pair. I only wish they were sold on Amazon, so I could use my Amazon credit.
If you don't need them to be portable the Stax SR-207 are without a doubt going to have the absolute best clarity at that range and come with their own amping system.

I think the Sennheiser HD600 might actually have a slight edge in clarity over the bassier 650, but both need to be well amped to sound their best, which is going to raise your total cost.

The Mad Dog is a good closed headphone to consider though they scale well with amping also they're cheap enough to leave some breathing to buy an amp should you need one.

The AKG K712 Pro would be great clarity wise and comfort wise and although they scale tremendously well I don't think they sound too bad unamped.

The Shure SRH1540/1840 is another good suggestion as they both sport great detail have a smaller form factor, and really efficient sounding great out of various sources.

The Beyerdynamic DT880 are extremely comfortable, sport excellent clarity, and offer a variety of different OHMs should you decide you want to be to listen to them straight out of a phone.

The Focal Spirit Classic are really detailed, efficient, portable, and balanced but they're not the most comfortable for long sessions.

I'd also consider shelling out for the HE400i or HE-500 if you're really serious about
clarity. They're not too shabby out of menial sources, though obviously they also sound better amped, but both sport an incredible clarity coupled with such a fast response and decay in comparison to say the HD 650/600 which are both fairly detailed but kind of too laid back to make it apparent.

amnesiac

OK so I think I've decided on the Philips Fidelio X2. Have a question though. How durable are they? I took my ATH-M50s everywhere, dropped them a lot, and they were tough as hell. Can the same be said about the Fidelios?

Also would a Schiit Fulla be a good choice for a DAC/amp? Not really looking to spend over $100 and I don't want tubes since it would have to be portable.

I got a pair of Sennheiser cans that I love, but they can be a hassle to lug around sometimes, so I was looking for something with good quality sound that's a bit more portable and the Yamaha Ephs caught my attention. I tried them out and dug them, only problem is the build quality is apparently not all that great, can anyone chime in on this? If I'm dropping $100 on it I'd like it to last more than six months, at the very least.

Barring that, any other comparable IEMs? I tried the Shure se215s and they sounded a bit flat and boring imo.

amnesiac

Eh I don't know why I wrote that I "took them everywhere," I just took them outside of the house a couple of times. I would be using the X2s at home -- just wondering if they would be alright if dropped a few times. (I'm making it sound like I'm reckless - I'm really not hahaha)

Tommy DJ

Can't see it being a problem. The build is sensible without serious potential failpoints, like a bad hinge mechanism or exposed drivers, that would break from an accidental drop In a home environment.

my cables are doing the same thing, does changing the M50's cables require a mod and soldering, etc.., does AT let you send them in for replacement? or can I just unscrew and swap cables?
No mod, what you take out is what you put back in. From looking at tutorials, it does appear to require soldering. Audio Technica will let you send them in but who knows what the fees and postage are. Probably extortionate. I think it's probably worth learning to solder or finding someone local who can do it.

P1010386web.jpg

Antiwhippy

Wait, doesn't the m50 have a removable cable?

If you want a really fun soldering project you should do a detachable cable mod.

sdornan

If you don't need them to be portable the Stax SR-207 are without a doubt going to have the absolute best clarity at that range and come with their own amping system.

I think the Sennheiser HD600 might actually have a slight edge in clarity over the bassier 650, but both need to be well amped to sound their best, which is going to raise your total cost.

The Mad Dog is a good closed headphone to consider though they scale well with amping also they're cheap enough to leave some breathing to buy an amp should you need one.

The AKG K712 Pro would be great clarity wise and comfort wise and although they scale tremendously well I don't think they sound too bad unamped.

The Shure SRH1540/1840 is another good suggestion as they both sport great detail have a smaller form factor, and really efficient sounding great out of various sources.

The Beyerdynamic DT880 are extremely comfortable, sport excellent clarity, and offer a variety of different OHMs should you decide you want to be to listen to them straight out of a phone.

The Focal Spirit Classic are really detailed, efficient, portable, and balanced but they're not the most comfortable for long sessions.

I'd also consider shelling out for the HE400i or HE-500 if you're really serious about
clarity. They're not too shabby out of menial sources, though obviously they also sound better amped, but both sport an incredible clarity coupled with such a fast response and decay in comparison to say the HD 650/600 which are both fairly detailed but kind of too laid back to make it apparent.

Thanks, I'll take a look at each of those.

I will mention that I did consider both the HE-400i and the HE-500 but removed it from consideration because they're both open-backed. I would probably prefer open-back headphones actually, but need to go closed-back since I'm going to primarily using these at work.

HiResDes

Thanks, I'll take a look at each of those.

I will mention that I did consider both the HE-400i and the HE-500 but removed it from consideration because they're both open-backed. I would probably prefer open-back headphones actually, but need to go closed-back since I'm going to primarily using these at work.

Umm both the HD600/650, DT 880, Shure SRH 1840, Stax, and AKG K712 are open back as well.

I'd suggest you look into the AKG K553 too if you want to save some money that was a pretty good suggestion. The Shure SRH150, Focal Spirit Pro, and Mad Dog/Mad Dog Pro remain good choices though. Yamaha MT220 are amazing as well, but even though they're closed they don't have very good isolation.

Oh man and I almost forgot about the KEF M500, they might be the most portable out of all of them, and they don't leak much sound at all, but if you're more worried about isolation than leakage also avoid them as well.

Finally got shipment notice for my Flare R2Pro/R2A! God, thought I'd have to wait til next week for this to finally happen. Been hearing extremely good things in regard to the Pro from a guy I've been keepin in touch with. Will try to chip in with impressions once they're in house and I've got some time under my belt.

Oh, and seems LCFiner has been sucked in by Flare as well, so hopefully he'll be able to leave some impressions as well lol

Top Bottom