• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

X-Frame

Massdrop site was moving a little slow, but was able to get in this time!

I would love to finally get the 6XX or 650's but I really don't need them. I am perfectly happy with my HE-400i's and X2's. I probably would have pulled the trigger if they were $199 again though.

e90Mark

I would love to finally get the 6XX or 650's but I really don't need them. I am perfectly happy with my HE-400i's and X2's. I probably would have pulled the trigger if they were $199 again though.

Same! And they're still available so seems like demand fell out because of the price. Next on my list are the X2...Mayhe next year

I actually own the X2's myself, and am looking forward to hearing the differences.

I think the 50 dollar price increase and the fact that these things won't be delivered until Christmas is a bit nuts and that's why you aren't seeing them move the way they were before.

LQX

Yeah thought it would move faster. An HD650 is not hard to find below or close to $300 though, plus they charge tax in CA so pretty much not worth it at $250 for them. At $200 this thing would have been gone.

Is there some store that carries a lot of high end headphones that I could visit to listen to some of these before buying?

Depends on where you live. I hear Japan has them.

There is such a psychological gulf between $199 and $250, lol. Combine that with Christmas delivery explains the slower rate of sales.

Ashhong

Yeah thought it would move faster. An HD650 is not hard to find below or close to $300 though, plus they charge tax in CA so pretty much not worth it at $250 for them. At $200 this thing would have been gone.

It was like 263 after taxes in CA. Not bad at all. It's $315 for the HD650 from a site like Adorama with no tax and with an (IMO) uglier color scheme. I'm ok with waiting, it's not like I need it right now. Cheaper is cheaper! $50 more than the previous drop does suck, but what can you do?

LQX

It was like 263 after taxes in CA. Not bad at all. It's $315 for the HD650 from a site like Adorama with no tax and with an (IMO) uglier color scheme. I'm ok with waiting, it's not like I need it right now. Cheaper is cheaper! $50 more than the previous drop does suck, but what can you do?

Wow, did not realize CA tax was so low. Here in NY, if they charged tax, it would have added at least $22. Yep still a good deal though if were looking to get HD650. I also prefer this color and it looks much better in person.

Ashhong

What do you guys think of this RCA switch? I was hoping to find one with just the switch and no amp, but this seems ok? My PC/Xonar DG soundcard would be the audio source

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=615220

edit: hmm it seems like the headphones are still active when you put the volume all the way down. I want something that has an actual switch that activates each headphone, I think. If that's even possible

I'm looking for a few quick recommendations.

I need
1. Headphones (preferably not 'gamer' styled) that will work with all of my gaming devices (Xbox, PS4, PC), including the need for an in-line microphone.

2. Headphones that will work with a digital piano, and occasionally through a Roland amplifier, 6.35mm adapter.

3. Over the ear, but not too tight for someone with a big head. Isolating, not cancelling.

4. Probably wired due to my first need.

5. Under $175

I tried Koss ProDJ 200 ($75 on Amazon), but the inline microphone came broken, and they were very tight, so I sent them back. The sound isolation and quality were quite good though, and I would like something similar, as long as the microphone works.

Any thoughts?

LOL They haven't sold 4000 of the 6XX yet. Wow. Pricing them 50 bucks higher and not getting them for 6 months seems to have had a strong effect.

LOL They haven't sold 4000 of the 6XX yet. Wow. Pricing them 50 bucks higher and not getting them for 6 months seems to have had a strong effect.

Yeah it's definitely not a bargain now.

I wonder if you will be able to score a 650 for cheaper on black Friday and still have it arrive sooner.

JackEtc

I've spent plenty of money on headphones the past few years, after going through my second pair of TMA-1s, I bought a pair of the Beats Solo 3s. Some other purchases over the past couple of years have been ATH-700s, MDR 7506s for work, AirPods...I realized I have been seriously ignoring my at-home headphone situation for years.

I love using open backed headphones when I'm at home; after being totally turned off of the 6XXs by the 6 month wait, finally replaced my (almost 10 year old!) pair of HD 555s with a pair of 598s. The newer version comes with a 3 foot cable suitable for phones with a pic and play/pause button built in which is nice. I know the 598s aren't nearly as much of a jump as the 6XXs would be, the 6 month wait was REALLY just ridiculous. The cheaper price tag was an added bonus but I was ready to jump in even at $250.

I've ordered a A V-Moda Boom Pro to use with it for gaming, along with the adapters to make that work after removing that locking mechanism. I also finally got around to getting an Astro Mixamp after wanting one forever.

Gonna be going from HD555s plugged into the PS4 controller to 598s ran through a mixamp, pretty excited for the upgrade!

HiResDes

I've spent plenty of money on headphones the past few years, after going through my second pair of TMA-1s, I bought a pair of the Beats Solo 3s. Some other purchases over the past couple of years have been ATH-700s, MDR 7506s for work, AirPods...I realized I have been seriously ignoring my at-home headphone situation for years.

I love using open backed headphones when I'm at home; after being totally turned off of the 6XXs by the 6 month wait, finally replaced my (almost 10 year old!) pair of HD 555s with a pair of 598s. The newer version comes with a 3 foot cable suitable for phones with a pic and play/pause button built in which is nice. I know the 598s aren't nearly as much of a jump as the 6XXs would be, the 6 month wait was REALLY just ridiculous. The cheaper price tag was an added bonus but I was ready to jump in even at $250.

I've ordered a A V-Moda Boom Pro to use with it for gaming, along with the adapters to make that work after removing that locking mechanism. I also finally got around to getting an Astro Mixamp after wanting one forever.

Gonna be going from HD555s plugged into the PS4 controller to 598s ran through a mixamp, pretty excited for the upgrade!

If you notice much of a difference I'll be surprised honestly.

HiResDes

Really? Everywhere I've read online the consensus is that the PS4 controller audio is pretty shit relative to the higher end audio setups
It probably is shit, but I just don't see the the different being all that vast given the similarity between the two headphones and their respective sound signatures.

I'm looking for a few quick recommendations.

I need
1. Headphones (preferably not 'gamer' styled) that will work with all of my gaming devices (Xbox, PS4, PC), including the need for an in-line microphone.

2. Headphones that will work with a digital piano, and occasionally through a Roland amplifier, 6.35mm adapter.

3. Over the ear, but not too tight for someone with a big head. Isolating, not cancelling.

4. Probably wired due to my first need.

5. Under $175

I tried Koss ProDJ 200 ($75 on Amazon), but the inline microphone came broken, and they were very tight, so I sent them back. The sound isolation and quality were quite good though, and I would like something similar, as long as the microphone works.

Any thoughts?
Maybe check out the new Takstar Pro 82 and just pop on an Modmic

JackEtc

It probably is shit, but I just don't see the the different being all that vast given the similarity between the two headphones and their respective sound signatures.

I'm guessing most of the difference will be from the mixamp, both the surround virtualization and just the headphones being powered a little better.

Right off the bat the out of the box 598s sound wayyyy different than my 555s (which I did the foam mod to years ago). The 598s have a way heavier but refined bass which I'm pretty happy about

Interestingly enough, the HD 555s seem louder than the 598s....

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
How does the E-MU stack up to other sets you've listened to? I've read nothing but praise for them.

I've heard way more TOTL open sets, than I have closed, so all I can say is that it's by far the best closed set I've experienced.

The only closed sets I personally own, for reference, are the NAD Viso HP50, OPPO PM-3, and now the EM-U. The other 2 aren't even close.

People rave about the mids and bass, but to me the soundstage is really what sends it into another league from other closed cans.

X-Frame

A2s definitely a side grade, A4s all about modularity and customization, you can tune them warner or colder depending on your taste... They're gonna be my next IEM should something happen to my Rockets or Titans, but I'm not sure they're gonna be a big upgrade. Kinda hard to say since I haven't heard them yet and given they're are so many damn options out there now, but for $200 they are definitely one of the best options I can personally think of

My LZ A4's arrived today!

I still need to play around more with tips and especially the filters, but so far I am very impressed. I have A/B'ed a few songs with these compared to my GR07 Classic's and the differences are significant to me.

Right now I am using a filter combination that seemed to have tamed the treble in terms of being fatiguing but at the same time I hear more detail compared to the GR07 when listening to the same songs. I'm listening off my iPhone 7 with a Dragonfly Red.

Thank you for introducing me to the LZ brand. Another plus is that ordering from Penon Audio they included a 2nd silver cable along with the original. I am using the silver one as I assume there is a reason they included it and some of the forums would suggest it affects the sound? In any case, this wasn't advertised on Penon's website so that was nice of them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Unless your cable is like super mechanically faulty cable sound is grade a snake oil.

There is a little merit in that some iems are more sensitive to impedance changes but your cables shouldn't have wildly varying impedances.

Quenk

I'm looking to get some good headphones for listening to music while I work. I'm guessing I should look for closed-back headphones. Probably over ear for comfort since I'll have them on for hours at a time. Does anyone have some suggestions for me? I'm not really looking to spend a ton of money since I'm driving them with a Macbook Pro but a couple hundred seems reasonable. I'm in Canada if that affects things.

HiResDes

My LZ A4's arrived today!

I still need to play around more with tips and especially the filters, but so far I am very impressed. I have A/B'ed a few songs with these compared to my GR07 Classic's and the differences are significant to me.

Right now I am using a filter combination that seemed to have tamed the treble in terms of being fatiguing but at the same time I hear more detail compared to the GR07 when listening to the same songs. I'm listening off my iPhone 7 with a Dragonfly Red.

Thank you for introducing me to the LZ brand. Another plus is that ordering from Penon Audio they included a 2nd silver cable along with the original. I am using the silver one as I assume there is a reason they included it and some of the forums would suggest it affects the sound? In any case, this wasn't advertised on Penon's website so that was nice of them.
Man I'm so jealous lol, but hell yeah congrats.

Ashhong

Fuck yea! HD6XX dropped to $200 at 5000 units. I wonder if that was always planned or they changed it due to lower demand

Note: At 5,000 orders, the HD 6XX will revert to match the pricing of the original launch and will be available for $199.99 with free shipping to the US and $15 shipping per unit internationally. For the full details, please take a look at this discussion post.

So my price will automatically drop to 200 right? I got in at 250

^ nvm. Awesome :D

Props to Massdrop! Glad I got in on the first day. Atleast I've got 6 months to save for a good DAC/Amp or see if Schiit or someone else drops something new in the mean time.

Edit: They also upped it so you can buy 3 pairs per person.

leng jai

Massdrop really need to work on some of these lead times. 6 months wait for a HD650 basically?

image.jpg

Ashhong

Massdrop really need to work on some of these lead times. 6 months wait for a HD650 basically?

image.jpg

Not really up to them I imagine.

Also, is that a problem because you don't want them to have your money for 6 months or because you need a pair of 650s right now? Yea I'd like to have it sooner, but I'm not sure why it's a dealbreaker for some people unless they need to have them for whatever reason..

ty_hot

So Massdrop has the Sennheiser HD6XX for 200 trumps. How much would I spend buying and amp for it? I mean, the minimum.

LQX

They updated the HD6XX drop to 11,500. I guess Massdrop x Sennheiser came to their senses after seeing the potential loss of sales at $250 and the potential gains selling 11,500 units at $200.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Any songs you guys recommend for soundstage?

Coldplay's Magic live at the Enmore

https://itun.es/gb/8SRu3?i=928172964

If you can clearly hear the location of the girl yelling 'what's happening' you have a good headset. With some headsets you can't even properly hear her.

Speaking of soundstage, E-MU Teaks, they are the best closed headset I have heard. I have got Fostex TH-600s and Oppo PM-3s too. EMU soundstage is phenomenal, and their lows and highs are delightful alike. They are only bested by my Hifiman HE-1000s, which are open.

Yeah I'm sure there are other albums with that name but they don't matter.

Also just check out this - https://youtu.be/IUDTlvagjJA

Coldplay's Magic live at the Enmore

https://itun.es/gb/8SRu3?i=928172964

If you can clearly hear the location of the girl yelling 'what's happening' you have a good headset. With some headsets you can't even properly hear her.

Speaking of soundstage, E-MU Teaks, they are the best closed headset I have heard. I have got Fostex TH-600s and Oppo PM-3s too. EMU soundstage is phenomenal, and their lows and highs are delightful alike. They are only bested by my Hifiman HE-1000s, which are open.

I'll listen to these, thanks for the suggestions!

Does Massdrop charge your credit card right after the drop? Or will it be a pending payment for 6 months. Really want the HD6xx but 6 months is a long time. Would give me time to get an amp though.

Top Bottom