• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

I joined the drop. 6 months sucks but it's worth it for me. I'm just grateful they are having another, I was pretty pissed when I missed the first one.

LQX

Does Massdrop charge your credit card right after the drop? Or will it be a pending payment for 6 months. Really want the HD6xx but 6 months is a long time. Would give me time to get an amp though.

They charge you immediately after the drop ends.

HiResDes

I think 6 Months is long because it's hard to really guess what's gonna happen with the market. In 6 Months a previously TOTL headphone might come down astronomically in price or something new could along at a reasonable price that really shakes up the competition in the under $300 market.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, the HD650 is the ol' steady though. I doubt it'll happen lol.

Still, for this drop you might as well treat it as a kickstarter basically.

I think 6 Months is long because it's hard to really guess what's gonna happen with the market. In 6 Months a previously TOTL headphone might come down astronomically in price or something new could along at a reasonable price that really shakes up the competition in the under $300 market.

The HD650's have held their value for years because of their quality, so not to worried about missing out on something else, it's just that a 6 month wait is going to be brutal after getting hype for these. I just hope they live up to the expectations.

First world problems when it's all said in done though.

Decided to jump in on the drop. My M1060's are great but a little too heavy for listening to music and podcasts all day for work or for gaming at length. Going to move the M1060's to my turntable setup and use the HD6xx at my PC/PS4

Quenk

As I said in a recent post, I'm looking to get a good pair of headphones for listening to music while working in an office. What do people think about Sennheiser HD 598 Cs?

I know there's the newer open-backed version but from what I've read, closed is preferable for office environments so sound won't leak.

I was reading through this thread and remembered how much I missed good sound. Used some cheap Sony Bluetooth headphones since my Sennheisers died many months ago.

I've had Bose equipment in the past and always loved it so I went with the QC35.

Great decision. So comfortable, the noise-canceling is clutch and the sound is beautiful.

Tommy DJ

Look at it this way, the JBL LSR305 can be had for like $250 per pair. They come with two pair of drivers that are like 1dB between different samples, two competent amplifiers able to push 100dB, some MDF cabinets and some decent professional grade volume pots and trim switches.

Until headphones put out something that offers all of this, the HD6XX isn't going anywhere. You could wait two years for them to ship and they'd still be relevant lol.

Ashhong

Still though in those 6 months you could probably save up enough to buy it without the wait time. :p

I can't follow this logic, maybe cause I'm super cheap lol. You'd still be spending more money overall, on something that you may or may not be desperately needing. Like I could buy the Amazon ones, but its such a waste....

Been out of the buying/research game for a while and want some advice. Two of the things on Massdrop right now have me intrigued and I've been wanting to buy something new for a while now.

My current setup is the Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm with a NFB 12 from Audio GD, and has been for a while. I like it a lot and will continue to enjoy it. Back when I got my DT880s the HD 600 and 650 were some of the other choices I was deciding between and I don't regret my choice, but still know they are a different sound. To my understanding the HD6XX up on massdrop now is a rebranded HD650, right? The other thing up right now on Massdrop is the HD700, which I know nothing about. Now the question is, which of the two should I go for if I am deciding between the two massdrops?

I want to eventually upgrade and still plan on it someday, to something even more high end, like the T1 or HD800. Money isn't the issue but I haven't put in the necessary research/time/effort to make that move and I'm in no rush to do so. It is an eventuality though. Is the HD700 just a stepping stone or is it worth the current price? A fast glance shows me that reviews of it are mixed.

I also want recommendations of two other things for other uses, but since the drop on these is running out soon I'll wait till I make a choice here before asking about that. Even if that choice is to not buy at all.

LQX

I can't follow this logic, maybe cause I'm super cheap lol. You'd still be spending more money overall, on something that you may or may not be desperately needing. Like I could buy the Amazon ones, but its such a waste....

I'm with you. Yes, at the end of the day you're still spending hundreds on an item so saving a little extra should not really matter....but it does. That's $70 or more saved that can go to something else.

Quenk

As I said in a recent post, I'm looking to get a good pair of headphones for listening to music while working in an office. What do people think about Sennheiser HD 598 Cs?

I know there's the newer open-backed version but from what I've read, closed is preferable for office environments so sound won't leak.

Gonna pull the trigger on these this weekend unless anyone has some thoughts.

HiResDes

Been out of the buying/research game for a while and want some advice. Two of the things on Massdrop right now have me intrigued and I've been wanting to buy something new for a while now.

My current setup is the Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm with a NFB 12 from Audio GD, and has been for a while. I like it a lot and will continue to enjoy it. Back when I got my DT880s the HD 600 and 650 were some of the other choices I was deciding between and I don't regret my choice, but still know they are a different sound. To my understanding the HD6XX up on massdrop now is a rebranded HD650, right? The other thing up right now on Massdrop is the HD700, which I know nothing about. Now the question is, which of the two should I go for if I am deciding between the two massdrops?

I want to eventually upgrade and still plan on it someday, to something even more high end, like the T1 or HD800. Money isn't the issue but I haven't put in the necessary research/time/effort to make that move and I'm in no rush to do so. It is an eventuality though. Is the HD700 just a stepping stone or is it worth the current price? A fast glance shows me that reviews of it are mixed.

I also want recommendations of two other things for other uses, but since the drop on these is running out soon I'll wait till I make a choice here before asking about that. Even if that choice is to not buy at all.
Avoid the HD700

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kind of similar, honestly. Same neutral, fairly mid-centric, bass neutral to light sort of presentation. Maybe slightly hotter treble but not really a trebley signature.

Slight grain in the upper mids but I feel that for the HD600 too for some songs.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered the Magni 2 a couple days ago to power my dt990 600ohm; it should be at my door within 12 hours so today will be pretty fun.

Also picked up a ground loop isolator & mpow 4.1 Bluetooth adapter. I'm trying to figure out audio solutions for getting my girlfriend a decent audio & mic solution. I bought a KZ ZST to get her as one of a few smaller birthday gifts (surprisingly good audio & $). I want the inline mic to be usable on mobile but also pc so I got a Trrs to Trs splitter, but found in testing it that there is an issue with a ground loop hum coming through when the mic is connected.

At first my thought was to buy ferrite beads for isolation, but the ground loop isolator is an interesting angle so I'm going to try that. The mpow is a backup plan if the inline mic turns out to be garbage. She hates wires and the mpow 4.1 has a mic on the unit itself so if it works it'll kill two birds with one stone.

I know getting an amp and testing out cabling/Bluetooth solutions aren't a massive deal by head-fi standards, but I'm still curious about and excited by both. Partially because I want to fully drive my 990, partially because the distortion and/or clipping with my poor E07K are killing my vibe.

Here's hoping everything works. As a side note, what do you guys think of MrSpeakers Alpha Pads? They look like the comfiest pads that could fit around someone's ears. The only thing I've tried that I can visually compare to them to would be the pads on the LCD-2 I tried out at a shop.

Quenk

I think there are new kings in the closed headphone area, but I still love my Audio Technica M50x. Massdroop even has a pair available right now

I'd definitely consider the AKG K553, Takstar Pro 82, and Soundmagic HP150 at that range.

I'm not sure they are good for an office environment with others around. To me they still leaked a ton of sound.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out those suggestions. Does anyone else have recommendations for the $200-250 range?

LQX

It's a bit out of range because I'm in Canada but not by much. Thanks!

The Sony MDR-7506 is very cheap in Canada.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000AJIF4E/

There is also the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x(which many here seem to hate). No one will hear what you're listening to with these and they meet your budget. They are bass heavy though.
https://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technic...s/B00HVLUR86/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

Also, before I said the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs leaks and to me they do, but I assume you will not be blasting these in your office like I do at home. So I would maybe give them a shot if you are not the type to blast your music at high volumes. If you are then maybe consider the ATH-M50x.

My wife's Zero Audio Tenores wore out and I'm looking for different IEMs to replace them with to try something new. She mostly listens to classical and podcasts. Any recommendations in the sub $50 price range?

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
My wife's Zero Audio Tenores wore out and I'm looking for different IEMs to replace them with to try something new. She mostly listens to classical and podcasts. Any recommendations in the sub $50 price range?

I've only tried one IEM, the KZ ZST, but it's rated as a total steal for the price. On Amazon it's 19 without an inline mic or 20 with the inline mic. I believe you can buy it on Aliexpress for 17 (no mic) or 18 (with mic) but then you'll have to deal with shipping from China to save two dollars.

The treble is a bit high with the silicone tips that they come with so I'd recommend picking up foam tips like the Comply Isolation T-500 which will reduce the treble to just the right amount and boost the bass a little. The tips are about 15 on Amazon. There is also a Tx varient with a waxguard (which I guess is for those who use them while working out) but I'm not familiar with it.

Hopefully some other people can weigh in on other choices; I don't know how the ZST stacks up against the Tenores.

Edit: Separately, the Schiit Magni 2 came in and I've connected my Fiio E07K to it. Weirdly enough, the E07K refuses to act as just a DAC. So the Fiio is acting as a DAC/pre-amp and going into the Magni 2 with a 3.5 mm to rca. The really strange thing is that the Magni bumps up the bass and the treble. I guess additional power was needed in the treble as well?

It's noticeably harsher with the amp compared with plugging straight into the E07K which is easy to compare because the DAC has 2x 3.5mm outs. Is the increased treble due to fully powering these 600 ohm 990s, or is it part of the Magni 2 amp signature?

Edit 2: I think it might be due to the double amping. I dropped the volume on the E07K from 50/60 down to 30/60 and cranked the Magni 2 so it would hit the same volume and the sound is less sibilant. I shifted it up to 40/60 and set the Magni 2 to maybe 60% and it is definitely in between the two.

Edit 3: This is really odd. I also just realized through A/B testing that the signal coming from the left 3.5mm out is a bit higher in treble. Maybe it's placebo. Honestly not sure about the cause of the sound signature change. Double-amping? Magni 2 amp sound? Fiio audio outs? Maybe even the 3.5 mm to rca? I have no idea.

Edit 4: Everything I have sounds better through just the E07K. I think double-amping everything is screwing up the sound. I guess I need to get a dedicated desk dac so this doesn't happen.

X-Frame

Dang, yesterday I had my IEM's in connected to the Dragonfly Red and my iPhone and accidentally jacked the volume up too much and it was really loud. Usually my volume bar is 50% with my max comfortable volume and I dragged it to about 80% for 2 seconds.

For about 6 hours after my ears felt full like there was wax buildup. No ringing though. Today it seems way down and I can't really tell if anything remains, so that's good.

That is scary though. Anyone ever have an experience like that?

I've only tried one IEM, the KZ ZST, but it's rated as a total steal for the price. On Amazon it's 19 without an inline mic or 20 with the inline mic. I believe you can buy it on Aliexpress for 17 (no mic) or 18 (with mic) but then you'll have to deal with shipping from China to save two dollars.

The treble is a bit high with the silicone tips that they come with so I'd recommend picking up foam tips like the Comply Isolation T-500 which will reduce the treble to just the right amount and boost the bass a little. The tips are about 15 on Amazon. There is also a Tx varient with a waxguard (which I guess is for those who use them while working out) but I'm not familiar with it.

Hopefully some other people can weigh in on other choices; I don't know how the ZST stacks up against the Tenores.

I'll check 'em out, thanks!

Ashhong

Good, then I won't have to buy them

Dang, yesterday I had my IEM's in connected to the Dragonfly Red and my iPhone and accidentally jacked the volume up too much and it was really loud. Usually my volume bar is 50% with my max comfortable volume and I dragged it to about 80% for 2 seconds.

For about 6 hours after my ears felt full like there was wax buildup. No ringing though. Today it seems way down and I can't really tell if anything remains, so that's good.

Not with headphones, but it can't be worse than the concerts I've been to..

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
I'm heading for the Schiit stack much sooner than I thought. I didn't expect that amping the cheap Fiio would have such a negative effect on the sound quality.

How much of an improvement is it to use optical out -> dac -> amp -> headphones from a game console over say monitor -> 3.5mm to rca adapter -> amp -> headphones?

After reading some reviews, I ended up picking up the Final Audio E3000s.

I also picked up a pair of the KZ ZS3s for myself since they're so cheap.

Nice, looking forward to your thoughts on both.

Xander51

I'm heading for the Schiit stack much sooner than I thought. I didn't expect that amping the cheap Fiio would have such a negative effect on the sound quality.

How much of an improvement is it to use optical out -> dac -> amp -> headphones from a game console over say monitor -> 3.5mm to rca adapter -> amp -> headphones?

Monitor outputs usually have some noise in them thanks to their proximity to other components, and the fact that audio output isn't the highest priority when putting money into designing a monitor. The output on my monitor hums really badly at anything above whisper volumes. Plus, a 3.5mm to RCA adapter is just another place to add more RF hum into the mix or amplify other noise.

For me personally the difference of using optical out into a little DAC/amp is literally night and day. I have no other acceptable choice for game console headphone audio, short of using high sensitivity headphones plugged into the controller or one of Sony's wireless headset models.

matmanx1

Optical is definitely the way to go here. Optical interfaces have no electric interference issues and are generally superior until you get in to the higher price brackets.

It's going to be quite a difference. You may need to change your console's audio settings. I have a Modi Multibit and when I output from the PS4 through optical, I need to change the "audio format" to linear PCM. The DAC can't decode Dolby and DTS

Ive had a bad tube make a loud popping sound in the right ear. I had ringing in my ear for a while. It was a terrible experience and it actually damaged the right driver in my HD650

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Monitor outputs usually have some noise in them thanks to their proximity to other components, and the fact that audio output isn't the highest priority when putting money into designing a monitor. The output on my monitor hums really badly at anything above whisper volumes. Plus, a 3.5mm to RCA adapter is just another place to add more RF hum into the mix or amplify other noise.

For me personally the difference of using optical out into a little DAC/amp is literally night and day. I have no other acceptable choice for game console headphone audio, short of using high sensitivity headphones plugged into the controller or one of Sony's wireless headset models.

Optical is definitely the way to go here. Optical interfaces have no electric interference issues and are generally superior until you get in to the higher price brackets.

It's going to be quite a difference. You may need to change your console's audio settings. I have a Modi Multibit and when I output from the PS4 through optical, I need to change the "audio format" to linear PCM. The DAC can't decode Dolby and DTS

You guys have sold me on optical inputs. Definitely replacing my E07K with the Modi 2 Uber. I have to hold off for a few weeks but I'm certain it'll be worth the wait.

Ptaaty

Man am I psyched. Ordered brand new Philips Fidelio L2's for $79 off woot (ok with WA tax and ship it's $92).

I have become a huge Fidelio whore (sucks they are discontinued) - I have the X2's and L1's...now these. Absolute love of the designs, materials and sound.

L1's are great for work - smooth and laid back and retro gorgeous. X2s are superb - open, "black background" where each instrument and sound jumps out, and some of the best (if just a touch hot...the way I like it) open can bass, very musical and fun without coloring, work great without amping (my favorites).

What will the L2 bring me?

X-Frame

Not with headphones, but it can't be worse than the concerts I've been to..

Ouch, yeah I've heard concerts can wreck you if you are not prepared. I've only been to 1 and I don't think it was that loud.

Ive had a bad tube make a loud popping sound in the right ear. I had ringing in my ear for a while. It was a terrible experience and it actually damaged the right driver in my HD650

I didn't even consider the state of my IEM's, haha. Don't think anything happened to them at all, all I cared about is my ears. Just to be safe I have a Ear, Nose and Throat appt this Friday since I haven't been in like 5 years.

It's a shame because after using my LZ A4's all morning with different filter combinations I finally found my ideal and then the volume incident happened like 10 min after and I took them off to rest.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I need to see an ENT doc myself. The tinnitus in my left ear, which I've had it since I was a kid, is really starting to annoy me.

andylsun

Hope to have an update on my Open Alpha Dogs next week. Will be ordering the t50rp this weekend.

I'm going to end up reprinting the cups at some point. The shell thickness was too thin but they will do as a test vehicle.

I'm going to be building a more capable 3D printer this summer (VORON crossxy) and may end up producing the new cups on there.

Top Bottom