• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, Eliss is rad. I bought it two days ago but just got a chance to finally play it today. I only did the first 3 stages. Brilliantly simple design. Love the music.

Mdk7

StrikerObi said:
Ok, Eliss is rad. I bought it two days ago but just got a chance to finally play it today. I only did the first 3 stages. Brilliantly simple design. Love the music.
one of the best game on the system, really.
And i'm loving Must.Eat.Birds. sooooo much too...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
cw_sasuke said:
except with much more power and the new gpu ? i also heard they might incliude the cam..
The extra power etc won't have much difference while the majority of customers are still using the 2nd gen Touch and 3G.

It's speeds things up a bit, but it's not like you're missing out on anything major.

jts

...hate me...
They should also include a mic on the Touch, which they probably will. It will be ace for voip, apps like ocarina, shazam etc.

I'm pretty new to this thread since I just picked up my first iPhone, but does anyone have any impressions of Real Racing?

I have been sticking to the cheaper games so far but have been so impressed that I'm thinking about buying some of hte more (relatively) expensive games (Real Racing, Rolano 2).

Flunkie

Banned
If they release a new iPod in September with all the 3GS features and more, I'll probably bite, given I have a 32GB 2G Touch, I can probably get a decent-sized return on my purchase.

Flunkie

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
I'm pretty new to this thread since I just picked up my first iPhone, but does anyone have any impressions of Real Racing?

I have been sticking to the cheaper games so far but have been so impressed that I'm thinking about buying some of hte more (relatively) expensive games (Real Racing, Rolano 2).
In their case, those two games are worth the price. They are both extremely polished and two of the best games that you can get on the App Store. If you're thinking about it and not scared off by potential price drops, don't hesitate - they're great.

AZ Greg

Flunkie said:
If they release a new iPod in September with all the 3GS features and more, I'll probably bite, given I have a 32GB 2G Touch, I can probably get a decent-sized return on my purchase.

Yup.

That's what I do every year. If you list your iPod just after the announcement most casuals haven't heard about the upgraded models and will buy your old model at only a small hit to you. If I do decide to sell my 2G Touch and grab a newer model, I have little doubt that I'll be able to get about $160-$170 back on what was $229 new.

jts

...hate me...
Flunkie said:
FYI, I got 250€ for mine a month ago.

The new one one won't have *all* the 3GS features, I doubt that it will have GPS and a compass for a example. But a 2 or 3MP cam with video capturing (optional) and a mic, would be maaaajor improvements over the current one. Extra processing and graphical power would be gravy.

Flunkie said:
In their case, those two games are worth the price. They are both extremely polished and two of the best games that you can get on the App Store. If you're thinking about it and not scared off by potential price drops, don't hesitate - they're great.

Thanks. Think I'll go with Real Racing first after watching it on Area5's Co-op.

You can't sit around hoping for a price drop. Might as well drop 10 bucks and enjoy the game. Hell, I spent $10 on lunch and that lasted about 30 minutes.

ElyrionX

Alright, guys, just picked up my first iPhone and have browsed the iPhones games recommendation thread here.

I've already picked up Flight Control and am looking to pick up a few more. Basically, I'm looking for semi-casual games to download. Preferably nothing that involves polygons of any kind. What does GAF recommend?

I am also looking to pick up one or two of those Diner Dash-type management games. Fruit Juice Tycoon and Supermarket Mania both look good. Are there any better ones out there?

rexor0717

Flunkie said:
This is a serious question: Wouldn't they have annoucned it by now? I don't really know how Apple does things though. I heard rumors that they might, so I bought my iPod Touch at Costco so I can take it back just in case. :lol

rexor0717 said:
This is a serious question: Wouldn't they have annoucned it by now? I don't really know how Apple does things though. I heard rumors that they might, so I bought my iPod Touch at Costco so I can take it back just in case. :lol

Maybe because they aren't ready to ship it yet. Why kill your sales of iPod Touches for the next few months?

jts

...hate me...
rexor0717 said:
No. They announce their stuff a few days before putting it out.

Flunkie

Banned
rexor0717 said:
Not a chance in hell. Apple announces stuff and practically the next day, it's out.

edgefusion

Uh huh, it's not uncommon for Apple to hold a special event and announce during the event that it'll be out later today or tomorrow. They've been doing it less recently though.

rexor0717

Flunkie said:
Not a chance in hell. Apple announces stuff and practically the next day, it's out.
Dang, because my Costco warranty runs out before September. I might just return to be cautious. :lol I feel bad for gaming Costo's return system.

Flunkie said:
I know, it's crazy. Why the big jump, do you think?

I have no idea. I don't own the full version yet. But its always a fascinating thing to me when certain games become hits on the iphone because there is no traditional advertising for the vast majority of the games and there is barely even much web coverage outside of the really hardcore sites. So whenever something breaks out it's always interesting trying to figure out why it did and why some other really good games never did.

Flunkie

Banned
What surprises me is that the original Rolando is STILL selling. It's in the top 100 again. I bet ngmoco is glad they "reversed" their "decision" to take it off the App Store.

Barrett2

Congrats to GAF's own mrWalrus and Helava. Both iSR and Taxiball are in the App Store "New & Noteworthy" section. I assume this is a recent thing for both games? Enjoy your new Ferraris. :D

ElyrionX said:
I've already picked up Flight Control and am looking to pick up a few more. Basically, I'm looking for semi-casual games to download. Preferably nothing that involves polygons of any kind. What does GAF recommend?

You might enjoy some of these, they are casual / laid-back experiences, and pretty fun, IMO.

- Stone Loops of Jurassica
- Doodle Jump
- Bejeweled 2
- Big Top 10
- Jungle Bloxx

Mrbob said:
I don't want to bog down this thread about hardware, so direct me where to go if I'm the wrong spot but my MP3 is currently on the fritz and am looking into getting an ipod touch.

I see they are on sale right now for 275 (16GB), but a friend of mine says these are being reduced in price for new models to hit in september. Would this be a bad time to buy an ipod touch? I would hate to buy on now only to have a new model with more features hit in a month or two. At the same time I don't know if my current MP3 can hold out.

With my DVDs and blu ray purchases I have a couple digital copies I would like to transfer over for when I'm on the go.

Finally, is there a list of quality iphone apps/games I should be looking for? Trying to move around Itunes to find stuff in the app store is a bit of a mess. I love Zuma and saw a similar game on sale for 99 cents, so I picked that up! Any thoughts I would appreciate it!

You can count on a new iPod Touch in September. Like clockwork. I'd say if you can hold out, you should wait.

Zombies & Me from new EA Studio, 8lb Gorilla.

zombies_1.png

YouTube

8lb Gorilla is a team of twenty-something year old developers set loose by EA executives, in their words, "on an island" to develop indie-style simple pick up and play iPhone games. These 8lb gorillas, backed by EA (the 800lb gorilla) plan on releasing these bite-sized games on a near-monthly basis, pending no delays with the App Store submission process.

Their first entry in to this market is Zombies & Me. Instead of taking place in a post-apocalyptic world, the game is set during the apocalypse. Zombies are rising from the ground and the military is throwing down missiles left and right to try to fend off the attack. You play as Guy, and are tasked with the duty of protecting your grandmother who stays inside her house and periodically shouts various things at you.

http://toucharcade.com/2009/07/10/exclusive-introducing-eas-micro-studio-8lb-gorilla-and-zombies-me/

helava

lawblob said:
Congrats to GAF's own mrWalrus and Helava. Both iSR and Taxiball are in the App Store "New & Noteworthy" section. I assume this is a recent thing for both games? Enjoy your new Ferraris. :D

Heh. I wish it were that simple. Actually, we got featured on the Games page's "New & Noteworthy" section about a week after the game came out (more than a month ago, now). The problem is that that New & Noteworthy section is *only* visible from iTunes, and not at all from the device itself.

Lemme tell you, it's a long way from where we're at to a Kia, much less a Ferrari. :)... :(

hahahha.

It's alright, though - we're in it for the long haul. I love Taxiball, and I love making weird new levels for it. And we're planning on a lot of new stuff over the next couple months, as we work on other things. We've got something totally bizarre in the pipe, and Taxiball's gonna be a good testbed for a handful of other evolutionary ideas we want to try out. So, if you've got it, it'll be well supported for a good long while. :)

BUT! That said, and totally unrelated to the N&N status (since it's not a change that happened any time recently), Taxiball's going up to $5 at midnight tonight. So if you want it for cheap (currently $2), you've got... an hour!

:)

Cheers!
seppo

helava

Oh! And I posted the first image from our new game this morning on the Self Aware blog...

award-winhands13.png

It's one of the awards for the new game. The award's called "Baker's Dozen."

Crystal's art continues to surprise me - it's always incredibly charming, and hilarious.
seppo

billy.sea

Banned
dLMN8R said:
God I love this iPhone. My little anecdote:

-Had a red eye flight last night at 10:20PM Pacific
-Sitting at the airport at 8:30PM
-Browse GAF using the web application
-See Costanza's post about DownToZero going live
-Click the iTunes link, immediately linked to the app store (on the iPhone)
-Realize it's less than 1MB, quickly buy, download, install
-Play on the plane :D

Now it's 9:47AM and I'm tired as fuck because I didn't sleep on my red eye flight :-(

Also loaded up on a bunch of other games that I played on the flight, all very fun:
-Pipe Mania
-StoneLoops!
-I Dig It

:D

:D I understand you. Hope the future of portable gaming will be like this!
It must be easy to see what other people's opinion/recommendation are, and games need to be cheap in order to make people buy games without hesitation. So far everything falls into place on the iPhone/iTouch model. Easy to connect, easy to know what's good, easy to try out demo, easy and cheap to buy.
Of course more online gaming would be even better :)

Sean

Banned
I bought a game called Globall on an impulse (in App Store top 10 currently) and it's kinda neat. The gameplay is not anything special IMO, but the scoring system uses your GPS location (if you allow it) to let you know the highest score in your area which I thought was pretty neat. More games need to do stuff like that.

022c3

There is a Lite version of it here which seems to allow posting to the leaderboard: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320920697&mt=8

Acid08

Banned
Tried Castle of Magic. Didn't like it much. I'm maybe 20 minutes into Mass Effect Galaxy as well and it seems alright so far.

Flunkie

Banned
helava said:
Oh! And I posted the first image from our new game this morning on the Self Aware blog...

award-winhands13.png

It's one of the awards for the new game. The award's called "Baker's Dozen."

Crystal's art continues to surprise me - it's always incredibly charming, and hilarious.
seppo
Interesting. *strokes chin in a fluid, downward manner*

helava

...stroke all you like. There's no way you'll figure out what the game is from that image. And yeah, you can read the image name. Still won't matter!

HA!

seppo

Barrett2

Screw it, just bought GloBall.

Do you guys delete your games you no longer play? I'm nervous to do that, worried it will empower me to only buy more games. :lol

Twig

Banned
helava said:
...stroke all you like. There's no way you'll figure out what the game is from that image. And yeah, you can read the image name. Still won't matter!

HA!

seppo
It's an Endless Ocean clone that takes place on Mars.

Called it.

lawblob said:
Screw it, just bought GloBall.

Do you guys delete your games you no longer play? I'm nervous to do that, worried it will empower me to only buy more games. :lol

I didn't until I had so many games that I couldn't fit any more. I rotate them if I can and only keep on permanently the ones I'll constantly play like peggle or something.

mrkgoo

Stoney Mason said:
I have no idea. I don't own the full version yet. But its always a fascinating thing to me when certain games become hits on the iphone because there is no traditional advertising for the vast majority of the games and there is barely even much web coverage outside of the really hardcore sites. So whenever something breaks out it's always interesting trying to figure out why it did and why some other really good games never did.

Momentum is huge in the appstore fanbase. Once something starts getting big, it can just snowball.

Chinner

Banned
so ive just got a iphone 3gs (woop now i too am smug) and im juist wondering what games i should pick up?

from what research ive done:
assassin's creed
car jack streets
peggle
real racing
rolando
enviro bear

any other games im missing? wouldn't mind a tower defense game, more serious kind of game (action,rpg w/e) and stuff. also is sonic worth getting?

also:
lucasartgames said:
http://twitpic.com/9wgwq - For our Monkey fans - an iPhone sized wallpaper. No reason. Wink wink nod nod.
http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames/status/2570666053

AZ Greg

Chinner said:
so ive just got a iphone 3gs (woop now i too am smug) and im juist wondering what games i should pick up?

assassin's creed
car jack streets
peggle
real racing
rolando
enviro bear

any other games im missing? wouldn't mind a tower defense game, more serious kind of game (action,rpg w/e) and stuff. also is sonic worth getting?

also:

Check out:

Zenonia: Action/RPG
GeoDefense: Tower defense
Edge: Puzzle/Platformer

snap0212

Chinner said:

assassin's creed
car jack streets
peggle
real racing
rolando
enviro bear

also:

The best TD Games in my opionion are Star Defense and GeoDefense. Go buy both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom