• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

HK-47 said:
I wonder what weapon you have to use to down a Witch in one headshot

I'm thinking hunting rifle, through the magic of bolt-action.

/edit: Hmm read somewhere that they think it's M14 based, that doesn't pack a whole lot of punch right?

dLMN8R said:
but but but... but it didn't have OFFICIAL in the title thread. I'm guessing that threw off a lot of people. Silly, but plausible.

Anyway, if anybody has an Amazon pre-order for $36.99, try upgrading to an Amazon Prime trial if you got one offered to you. That took another $5 off for me and cut down my ETA from Dec 2 to Nov 20 when I changed my super saver shipping to free two-day shipping.

saelz8

ThaiGrocer said:
Thanks for finally making an official thread, Quellex! My head was spinning from the weeks of new L4D threads.
New threads are fine when it comes to news, since people usually don't go back to a single thread unless they are actually playing the game, or very interested in it.

I created this now because the game is so soon. (Demo) We're going to begin discussion about playing the game, rather than just news about it.

saelz8

ToyMachine228 said:
So if we pre-ordered at GameStop do we have to go down there and pick up a code from them physically?
Gamestop said:
Reserve Left for Dead and receive early access to the demo. The early access will start on 11/6/08 and will end on 11/11/08. Offer valid only while supplies last.

In-Store and Online Customers: Codes and instructions will be emailed beginning 11/5/08. You must provide a valid e-mail address at time of online order or in-store reservation in order to receive an early access code.

In-Store customers who did not provide an email address at time of reservation may click here to receive information on how to receive their early access code.
Source

Just ordered on Amazon. Only $48 for the 360 version (although I got super saver shipping :( ) Will probably end up getting the PC version day one.:D

saelz8

ToyMachine228 said:
So if I threw out my receipt am I fucked? That would be terrible.
Usually, yeah, since it's your proof of purchase. :(

Your name and email is probably in their system though, since you preordered.

Call them, or go there, see what's up.

Vaporak

Netrunner2k2 said:
Your requirements are a little off, but otherwise great thread. Valve downgraded the requirements to 128 megs for the video card.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55477

CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
Disc drive: DVD-ROM Drive
Hard drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
Video: Direct X 9 compatible video card - Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0 (ATI 9600 or high. Or, Nvidia 6600 or higher)
Sound: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card

Both of you have higher CPU required specs than the L4D steam page is showing.

valve said:
Minimum:
o Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
o Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz
o Memory: 1 GB
o Graphics: 128 MB, Shader model 2.0, ATI 9600, NVidia 6600 or better
o Hard Drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
o Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

saelz8 said:
Your name and email is probably in their system though, since you preordered.

Probably. I know they have my name and phone number at least so...I'll stop in in the next few days. God I can't miss this demo!

Yaweee

ToyMachine228 said:
Probably. I know they have my name and phone number at least so...I'll stop in in the next few days. God I can't miss this demo!

You can just cancel your old preorder and do a new one if they give you shit.

MercuryLS

Banned
I hope a lot of people buy this for X360.

Something I'm still not sure of is how the Live co-op player vs. the Live infected players works. Is it all random? Or do I get to choose whether or not I'm a co-op player or an infected before I start a match. Also who's gonna want to be an infected if they have a choice? ALSO I haven't seen any footage from the infected perspective, what's up with that.

Yaweee said:
You can just cancel your old preorder and do a new one if they give you shit.

Good point. Can't wait for Thursday! This is going to be an amazing week. Election Day, L4D demo and Gears 2. Fuckmazing.

Dabanton

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just watched the Intro Video (PRO TIP: The YouTube Link is ass busted).

FUCKING AMAZING.

Yeah just watched it a moment ago. Intense as hell.

I don't want to watch any gameplay vids though as i want to go in fresh.:D

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
BobJustBob said:
After the way the 360 version of TF2 was treated? Not very likely.

Tons of people still play TF2 on 360 suprisingly. L4D will sell really good on 360. I see it doing better than Orange Box 360.

MutFox

Banned
I just spent $3000 on a PC,
just for this game. :p
I'm serious. :D

That's how much I want to play this game...
I based buying a new PC around this game...

CAN'T WAIT!!!

Guled

MutFox said:
I just spent $3000 on a PC,
just for this game. :p
I'm serious. :D

That's how much I want to play this game...
I based buying a new PC around this game...

CAN'T WAIT!!!
I hope your joking

MutFox

Banned
Guled said:
I hope your joking

I'm not. :p
The new rig includes a nice Viewsonic 26" monitor too. :D

I haven't bought a gaming rig since late 2001,
though that 2001 rig still plays CoD4 well enough...

Plus I'm giving away my 2001 rig to a friend so he can play Left 4 Dead with me. ;)

Draft

The new rig includes a nice Viewsonic 26" monitor too.

Goddamn it.

You are awesome.

PC Gaming wins again.

Guled

MutFox said:
The new rig includes a nice Viewsonic 26" monitor too. :D

Plus I'm giving away my 2001 rig to a friend so he can play Left 4 Dead with me. ;)
you must be made of money, what kind of specs did you get for 3000$?

Twig

Banned
I've got this bitch on preorder on Steam.

God I hope I get my replacement monitor before the game comes out. My laptop can't handle TF2 on the lowest settings since I installed Vista. No chance in hell for L4D.

HURRY UP SAMSUUUUUNG/UPS.

mandiller

To everyone looking forward to Left 4 Dead I can definitely recommend Zombie Panic! Source, which you can download and install for free through steam as a source mod.

The game is pretty much like Left 4 Dead. It's awesome. Ammo and weapon sharing and all that jazz. If you get killed by a Zombie you become one yourself and you have to whittle down all the survivors. The survivors on the other hand have tasks they need to complete to get out alive.

Akia

Should I feel bad about this? My friends and I are planning to go to a cyber cafe to play this game on awesome machines over thanksgiving break. We're probably going to end up playing through the whole game once and Valve isn't going to get $200 out of us. The cyber cafe pays Valve money of course to license their games but I kind of feel like I'm ripping them off. I'm probably going to buy the game at release but I know my friends aren't after we beat it all together.

Akia said:
Should I feel bad about this? My friends and I are planning to go to a cyber cafe to play this game on awesome machines over thanksgiving break. We're probably going to end up playing through the whole game once and Valve isn't going to get $200 out of us. The cyber cafe pays Valve money of course to license their games but I kind of feel like I'm ripping them off. I'm probably going to buy the game at release but I know my friends aren't after we beat it all together.
You should probably make them buy Left 4 Dead posters. Thats what I did after getting my L4D ordered on Amazon for cheap and then feeling guilty because I didn't get it off Steam. :lol

Chowfahn

Neo Member
mandiller said:
To everyone looking forward to Left 4 Dead I can definitely recommend Zombie Panic! Source, which you can download and install for free through steam as a source mod.

The game is pretty much like Left 4 Dead. It's awesome. Ammo and weapon sharing and all that jazz. If you get killed by a Zombie you become one yourself and you have to whittle down all the survivors. The survivors on the other hand have tasks they need to complete to get out alive.
It's a fun mod, but this statement is completely false.

Volcynika

mandiller said:

The game is pretty much like Left 4 Dead
. It's awesome. Ammo and weapon sharing and all that jazz. If you get killed by a Zombie you become one yourself and you have to whittle down all the survivors. The survivors on the other hand have tasks they need to complete to get out alive.

I'd hope not. I tried out the mod, and I hated it.

mandiller

Chowfahn said:
It's a fun mod, but this statement is completely false.

Hmm lets have a look shall we.

Survivor team, zombie team, high emphasis on team-work, ammo and weapon sharing between players, a special infected called the 'carrier' much like boss infected, survivors have to accomplish something and escape to survive.

Huh? Maybe it's not identical, but to say that my statement is completely false is a bit absurd.

Yeah so yesterday I got a friend request from someone I didn't know, and I noticed they were an employee of Valve.

I wept some tears when it said "Currently Playing - Left4Dead"

Can't wait!

Volcynika

mandiller said:
Hmm lets have a look shall we.

Survivor team, zombie team, high emphasis on team-work, ammo and weapon sharing between players, a special infected called the 'carrier' much like boss infected, survivors have to accomplish something and escape to survive.

Huh? Maybe it's not identical, but to say that my statement is completely false is a bit absurd.

Good thing that specific mode is only a side/competitive-ish mode!

fallout

Farnack said:
Thread title is massively boring. 8(
Official L4D Thread of ... oh, shit. Shit! SHIT! .... SHIT! THEY'RE COMING! ... RUN LIKE HELL!

(and yes, I know tags don't work in titles)

tmaynard

fallout said:
Official L4D Thread of ... oh, shit. Shit! SHIT! .... SHIT! THEY'RE COMING! ... RUN LIKE HELL!

(and yes, I know tags don't work in titles)

I think if we have to add anything we should call it the "Official Left 4 Dead Thread of Run or Shoot" :D

cluto

So was there an explanation as to why they changed the left hand to a right hand on the boxart? I thought the left hand made sense since it's Left 4 Dead. Or wait, did they switch from a right hand to a left hand? I don't know anymore.

dLMN8R

Exarchos said:
So was there an explanation as to why they changed the left hand to a right hand on the boxart? I thought the left hand made sense since it's Left 4 Dead. Or wait, did they switch from a right hand to a left hand? I don't know anymore.
It's the other way around - used to be right-handed, they switched it to left-handed to fit the pun

Top Bottom