• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official "Real-Time with Bill Maher" Thread

Suburban_Nooblet said:
a lot of people like to argue with his "but it's so simple" approach and everyone else is stupid besides me bullshit. I like it.

Explain? Sorry its just that this sentence is worded a bit strange.

SolKane

I watch sporadically, but not for Bill Maher, who can be funny and blunt about many issues, but at other times just comes off as pompous and ignorant. This past episode was kind of painful to watch, because Maher kept interrupting David Brooks or diverging from comments which seemed Maher either disagreed with or had no relevant talking points about. The pre-panel interview was conducted similarly too... Scahill seemed pretty capable of discussing foreign policy vis-a-vis Afghanistan while Maher was fixated on assassination programs? Honestly he seems like a bit of warhawk but only when public opinion favors it.

AAequal

Banned
I started watching Real Time just few months back and I like the show. Some times Maher gets annoying when he dismisses good points without any counter argument. Also when they speak about Israel/Gaza/Palestine Bill is usually pretty one sided on the issues. Celebrity guests are also waste of time, they rap about some shitty movie for few minutes and when Bill and the panel gets back into issues they just sit there looking dumb.

^^^True. Page just sat there in silence for the rest of the show.

SolKane said:
Scahill seemed pretty capable of discussing foreign policy vis-a-vis Afghanistan while Maher was fixated on assassination programs?

Fuck was this annoying. The guy was talking about a serious issue that the public rarely has insight on and Maher changes the topic to assassination...

Used to love watching him back when I was at the peak of my political rage when Bush was still president. It was nice to see someone as pissed off as I was with the whole thing.

Sadly, I can't watch him anymore. Any time he brings up diet, vaccinations, or animals I want to choke him. Every other joke is still somehow about Sarah Palin, and his studio audience is a bunch of howling, clapping seals.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'd say I'm a pretty big fan of Maher. Although there's a few things I don't agree with him on, like his thoughts on vaccines and germ theory, but overall there's far more I agree with. He definitely does a good job with bringing on conservatives, though I wished he did it far more (the episodes with all libruls are kinda boring). I also love his New Rules segments.

I understand that many may not like him cause of his demeanor, and while it's true he can be annoying at times, he's more of a force for good. In this political environment, I'll take all the left leaning commentators I can get.

Here are some of my favorite new rules:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90RzlUjE_Lo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQn3vBSxdZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfyCHMzRXMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6QAaf81T24&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyxxTT5la6Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmsj59FrhFw&feature=related

Your Excellency said:
Wow, it's sad that so many people hate a passionate guy who tells the truth about religion.

Again most people enjoy Maher. He often tells it like it is and talks about stuff most other people wouldn't have the balls for. But he does get a little too passionate or arrogant about certain arguments. All in all he is a really good commentator, its just that most viewers will admit his faults unlike say Bill 'O Riley viewers.

I used to be a big fan of Maher, but I'm starting to tire of him. The current season of the show has been pretty fucking terrible.

As has been mentioned I hate his food/vaccine weirdness and his unflinching support of Israel. He's also been going overboard on the anti-Muslim stuff lately. His recent interview of Rep. Keith Ellison was like something off of Fox News.

Nevertheless, when Maher's on he's really on. I loved when he called out Jon Stewart and his pathetic rally for the complete bullshit false equivalency wankfest that it was.

Yeah, I want to know that too. Is he against the use of vaccines for some reason?

Oh, another thing, I like his 'look' with the slicked back hair in that vid with Bill O Reilly, but he never really lets loose. That's one of the things that annoys me about people with Bill O Reilly, they constantly allow him to talk over them and dominate the 'opinion sphere'. It's about time someone took an aggressive no bullshit attitude towards him.

Oppo

dead souls said:
As has been mentioned I hate his food/vaccine weirdness and his unflinching support of Israel.

I don't know about the first part but I'm quite sure I've seen him take some real shots at the Israeli government.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Is there anywhere I can get much older seasons of Real Time? Itunes only has the current season from January up. :(

Daithi

Neo Member

winter

Daithi said:
Very good overtime last night, never knew about the medical work the special olympics people do. Utterly disgusting that 15% of randomly selected athletes at a special needs meet need go to an emergency room for dental treatment beacuse they couldn't get dental insurance.
http://www.hbo.com/#/real-time-with-bill-maher/episodes/0/208-episode/video/208-april-1-overtime.html/eNrjcmbOUM-PSXHMS8ypLMlMDkhMT-VLzE1lzmcu1CzLTEnNh8k45+eVpFaUsDFyMjKySSeWluQX5CRW2pYUlaayMQIAUmYXOA==

I'm a big fan of Bill Maher but was kind of disgusted how he twisted that interview to be about Tropic Thunder and the use of the "R word." I know he is a comic and being "Politically Incorrect" is his shtick, but don't turn the conversation from being about the suffering of special needs people to the persecution of comedians. Stupid.. and this is coming from someone that uses "retarded" all the time.

winter said:
I'm a big fan of Bill Maher but was kind of disgusted how he twisted that interview to be about Tropic Thunder and the use of the "R word." I know he is a comic and being "Politically Incorrect" is his shtick, but don't turn the conversation from being about the suffering of special needs people to the persecution of comedians. Stupid.. and this is coming from someone that uses "retarded" all the time.

To me, it was moreso a dovetail off his....odd...tangent on "Well, so what if this is happening globally and not the US---who cares?" Even the guy seemed visibly taken aback by it out of nowhere...

It also kinda underscored the point, that seemingly the only way Maher could try to make a connection to the audience on the subject was to bring up that movie versus just letting the guy offer up all his stats and anecdotes.

Watched this weeks episode. Very good, the panel is great. I hope the republicans don't win the education cut down though.

Also this thread should be retitled "The Official Bill Maher Hate Thread".

I liked this episode tonight. And I remember Colin Quinn mostly from Tough Crowd. That was the show I used to watch before I started to watch Real Time.

Wow incredible episode.

The New Rule was spot on.

I really feel like organize a "movement group" kind of like the Tea Party did but only one with logic.

It was a really good episode last night.

It was nice to see the deeply stupid Andrew Sullivan get shut down by the rest of the panel. It's been fun reading the many slams of his idiotic Paul Ryan support by the likes of Balloon Juice over the past couple of days.

AAequal

Banned
Your Excellency said:
Yeah, I want to know that too. Is he against the use of vaccines for some reason?
At least one example of Bill's stance on vaccines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5DLf1Qt78

edit. I also watched some older episodes with Christoper Hitchens on the panel and they were great :D Hitchens flipping off Bill's audience was gold. Salman Rushdie, Hitchens VS Mos Def was pretty brutal. "Excuse me Mr. Definitely"

Atlagev

AAequal said:
At least one example of Bill's stance on vaccines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5DLf1Qt78"

Wow. It is shocking how someone who, as an atheist and looks to science for logical explanations to things, can be so wrong on this issue. How can he "not believe" in vaccines? As Frist said, they essentially eradicated polio in the U.S. with a vaccine, and they eradicated smallpox worldwide with a vaccine, so does he not believe in those? Or does he "pick and choose" which ones he believes in?

Atlagev said:
Wow. It is shocking how someone who, as an atheist and looks to science for logical explanations to things, can be so wrong on this issue. How can he "not believe" in vaccines? As Frist said, they essentially eradicated polio in the U.S. with a vaccine, and they eradicated smallpox worldwide with a vaccine, so does he not believe in those? Or does he "pick and choose" which ones he believes in?

Nearly everybody is stupid about some subjects and matters.

Just look at some of his returning panelists.

Yeah Bill's a smart dude for sure but nobody is perfect.

Actually Jon Stewart is :p But with that said, I fell out of watching the show for no real reason but have seen every episode this season and am enjoying it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Beam said:
I don´t live in the US, is there any link for me to watch the show? YouTube takes down the videos of the show.
If you don't need the video, there's a podcast of the show. The feed itself is broken, but if you go to the store page in iTunes, you can download individual episodes.

I don't get why they can't fix it, but I guess they'd rather you buy the video episodes or something.

Vyer

E2Xsx.jpg

impressive

theBishop

Banned
Has anyone noticed how DC beltway Maher has been this season?

Replace him with Thomas Friedman and I wouldn't notice a difference.

Carnby

I don't see the difference between Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh. Both are equally biased, just on different sides.

jaekwon15 said:
as I said,

As I said, Bill Maher is actually funny.

Did you even watch that clip? I'm not offended. I'm just amused by how Rush was just losing it, laughing. He seriously thought this joke was a killer. Its one of the most unfunny things I think I've ever heard.

Carnby

Mortrialus said:
As I said, Bill Maher is actually funny.

Did you even watch that clip? I'm not offended. I'm just amused by how Rush was just losing it, laughing. He seriously thought this joke was a killer. Its one of the most unfunny things I think I've ever heard.

Did I say Rush was funny, junior?

jaekwon15 said:
I don't see the difference between Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh. Both are equally biased, just on different sides.

Top Bottom