• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official SSX Blur HYPE Thread

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ristamar said:
Any other recent previews aside from IGN?

1up Preview

1up 02/02/07 said:
1UP: We've heard a bit about the Groove Gameplay feature with dynamic music -- how exactly does this work in the game?

Eric Chartrand: Basically the music is linked directly to gameplay. Every music track is divided into five layers that can be put on top of one another. The better you perform in the game, the more layers are combined so that you really feel the music in a meaningful way. The Groove Meter is in step with this and is also divided into five sections, so you have a visual reminder of your success as well. Each section of the Groove Meter corresponds to one layer of music and once three sections of your Groove Meter are full -- you are enabled to pull of an uber trick.

1UP: How integral to the gameplay will the music be? Do the dynamic music mechanics drive the gameplay like in Def Jam: Icon, or will gameplay allow you to create the musical soundtrack, like in Rez? Do you see the music in Blur as being as big a deal as it is in those games?

EC: Unlike Def Jam: Icon where the rhythm of the music determines when you want to make your moves, you are free to perform big tricks your way in SSX Blur and the music will follow you. So to answer your questions -- filling your groove meter, and thus increasing the complexity and depth of the music -- is at the core of the gameplay, but it is not the driving factor. This game is about fun -- and feeling the music is really additive to the overall experience.

More after the link.

About the music--I'm honestly wary about this addition. I think one of the best parts of the series has been the music selection and integration. Hearing "TRICKY!" during my ubers was just icing on the cake. If you guys watch the IGN videos you can hear the lack of vocals. The music DOES sound competent though, but I really liked the EA Trax selections for the past games, it's a shame that none of it will be licensed for this one.

PantherLotus said:
How are those related at all? Crackdown looks ****ing awesome, Sonic looks pretty good, and SSX Blur is going to be a blast. Get whatever you want--they're not mutually exclusive.

And to the idiot that keeps coming into a Wii thread to bitch about "waggle" -- I never said it would be the best snowboarding game ever. I said it is the best snowboarding game (series). But I doubt that's why you're still posting here, right?

Here is what you said:

Oh yeah - On top of all the new additions, it's exclusive. You can only get the best snowboarding game on the Wii.

Since you are saying that you can only get this game on the Wii, I only assumed that you were strictly referring to this title and not the prequels that were also on the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. Get what you said straight before you start calling people idiots.

I'm bitching because I was excited about this game because as a big SSX fan (the first game is the reason I bought a PS2), I was really excited when they first announced the game but quickly disappointed to hear that it was just old levels with new, unnecessary controls (don't even get me started on the new way of pulling off ubers). This is just another case of a developer replacing a perfectly functional control scheme with "waggle" just for the sake of it, instead of building the game around the Wii controller.

I would much, much rather have a true next-gen SSX title that pushes the systems like the first three games did instead of this rehash. If that makes me an idiot, well, I guess I am.

PantherLotus said:
mods or strikerobi -- feel free to update the first post with my additions. that should give this awesome game the hype that it deserves.
Please do this. PantherLotus makes such good OPs and he even made one for a thread by a different poster!

Ristamar

PantherLotus said:
The music DOES sound competent though, but I really liked the EA Trax selections for the past games, it's a shame that none of it will be licensed for this one.

It'd be nice if they added MP3 support via SD card...

EDIT: ...which, after reading the 1up preview, seems to have 0% chance of happening. Dammit, EA. No cares about your five-****-layered tracks or Groove Gameplay.

Ristamar said:
It'd be nice if they added MP3 support via SD card.

But if you did that, you'd lose out on one of the best things about the series, the interactive soundtrack. At least in the first three games, the music and the gameplay went hand in hand just as tightly as they did in Lumines.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
disappeared said:
Oh my christ are those character illustrations horrible.

Yeah--it's a definite departure from the others, and I made a huge mention of it as I was updating the Wii screenie thread. I encourage you to check out the videos, you'll notice that the character art seems to be limited to a front-end presentation, and the in-game character models appear just as awesome as before, if not moreso.

The Psymon one is growing on me, though. He reminds me of a Disney Villain.

mmlemay:
You're entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. I won't call your opinion hyperbole as a means to discredit it, though. If you only came in this thread (the official hype thread) to bitch about a game that I am genuinely excited for, well--your opinion is known and at this point you're just over doing it.

If you've actually tried the Wiimote for control at all, or watched the videos, you WILL be encouraged by how it is all put together. It honestly looks brilliant and fresh and like a solid addition to the series.

Anyway, I respect your opinion because my story with the PS2 (and the SSX Series) is the same. I would ask that you respect mine as well because I actually trust the developers (EA BIG freaking rocks) and everything I've seen is very encouraging. I can only imagine what they could do with it on the PS3. *yum*

Ristamar

mmlemay said:
But if you did that, you'd lose out on one of the best things about the series, the interactive soundtrack. At least in the first three games, the music and the gameplay went hand in hand just as tightly as they did in Lumines.

The in-and-out fade of the music in SSX 3 did next to nothing for me, nor was it particularly interactive. IIRC, they just faded to a small loop of the original track with some added effects and a shift in volume.

It was a solid selection of tunes, and the DJ wasn't annoying. Those were the strong points of the music, IMO.

Anyway, if the music is decent, I don't care how they handle it, as long as they don't anything ridiculous with the gameplay ala Def Jam Icons. MP3 support isn't a big deal to me.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
VOOK said:
1235.jpg

If you want it for the top story :/

Added, and thanked (at the bottom).

Just awaiting a thread update from a mod or the OP.

PantherLotus said:
Yeah--it's a definite departure from the others, and I made a huge mention of it as I was updating the Wii screenie thread. I encourage you to check out the videos, you'll notice that the character art seems to be limited to a front-end presentation, and the in-game character models appear just as awesome as before, if not moreso.

The Psymon one is growing on me, though. He reminds me of a Disney Villain.

mmlemay:
You're entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. I won't call your opinion hyperbole as a means to discredit it, though. If you only came in this thread (the official hype thread) to bitch about a game that I am genuinely excited for, well--your opinion is known and at this point you're just over doing it.

If you've actually tried the Wiimote for control at all, or watched the videos, you WILL be encouraged by how it is all put together. It honestly looks brilliant and fresh and like a solid addition to the series.

Anyway, I respect your opinion because my story with the PS2 (and the SSX Series) is the same. I would ask that you respect mine as well because I actually trust the developers (EA BIG freaking rocks) and everything I've seen is very encouraging. I can only imagine what they could do with it on the PS3. *yum*

When I said hyperbole I was referring to the line that I quoted in my last post, not your entire (excellent) preview post and I certainly wasn't trying to discredit it, so I'm not sure where you got that. Anyway, the game's been in my Gamefly queue since it was announced and I'll definitely be trying it out soon enough. I just haven't enjoyed any of the "shoe-horned" games on the Wii so far so I'm still pessimistic about the control adaptation.

As for next gen, I'd be more excited for the 360 version because I'd love to see what achievements they'd come up with (hopefully they'd be a lot better than the mostly unimaginative achievements in NBA Street Homecourt).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Oh man~

Achievements could go either direction, good or bad. Well, at least if they implemented the same bullshit fetch-questing that they did in SSX3. Seriously, cruising around looking for shit? How bout they just start me at the spot and test my freaking awesome skills! I'm not convinced that EA BIG knows how to reward the player like they used to.

I'd love to see speed runs, high scores, and tons of unlockables: outfits, levels (can I PLEASE get another glacier-in-hawaii run?), boards, characters, etc.

bridegur said:
Has anybody here been able to actually try it? I'd like to know if the controls work as good or better than previous SSX games.

I've played it and I love the nunchuk movement control. It's really intuitive and fun.

Honestly I have very little opinion about the remote trick control. I didn't have enough time with the game to really get accustomed to it, so I was only doing simplistic stuff. I've seen other people do more complex tricks with it though so I expect it'll be fine.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Chris Remo said:
I've played it and I love the nunchuk movement control. It's really intuitive and fun.

Honestly I have very little opinion about the remote trick control. I didn't have enough time with the game to really get accustomed to it, so I was only doing simplistic stuff. I've seen other people do more complex tricks with it though so I expect it'll be fine.

Awesome.

Can you comment about the music integration and about possible new additions like tracks? I will be disappointed if there isn't one completely new track, if not several.

PantherLotus said:
Awesome.

Can you comment about the music integration and about possible new additions like tracks? I will be disappointed if there isn't one completely new track, if not several.
Not sure what to say about the music integration other than that it's there and it's cool, and I think it's a great return to form after that EA Trax shit.

I'm not sure if there are new tracks or if so how many. As you probably already know, it uses the continuous open mountain structure again. I do know that there are two new characters as well as a bunch of existing ones. Everything I know about the game is here: http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/011907_ssx_blur_1.x

The final game is pretty good. Pulling off Ubertricks is really, really difficult though. You have to draw various shapes with the wiimote to pull the tricks off but it seems to work pretty randomly. You have to hold down a button on the wiimote and then start drawing to pull it off, but most of the time the character just starts spinning.

Still, hopefully this is a sign of things to come. More good exclusive third-party Wii content.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
PantherLotus said:
Awesome.

Junkie XL created an original soundtrack for the game. IGN has an interview with him here: http://music.ign.com/articles/764/764513p1.html.

The soundtrack was also released today (er, yesterday since it's Wednesday now). Though I can't seem to find it anywhere. Bummer.

Bildi

mmlemay said:
I would much, much rather have a true next-gen SSX title that pushes the systems like the first three games did instead of this rehash.
Then why don't you f*ck off and leave this thread for those of us who care about the game.

KDups said:
Junkie XL created an original soundtrack for the game. IGN has an interview with him here: http://music.ign.com/articles/764/764513p1.html.
I am really excited about the Junkie XL soundtrack. On Tour was so crap this should be a great improvement and I usually played a lot of the music specifically created for SSX3 and prior.

Xellotah

mmlemay said:
When I said hyperbole I was referring to the line that I quoted in my last post, not your entire (excellent) preview post and I certainly wasn't trying to discredit it, so I'm not sure where you got that. Anyway, the game's been in my Gamefly queue since it was announced and I'll definitely be trying it out soon enough. I just haven't enjoyed any of the "shoe-horned" games on the Wii so far so I'm still pessimistic about the control adaptation.

As for next gen, I'd be more excited for the 360 version because I'd love to see what achievements they'd come up with (hopefully they'd be a lot better than the mostly unimaginative achievements in NBA Street Homecourt).

Well then GTFO. Its a ****** hype thread for SSX blur, and you've been doing is trolling it.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Is there any word about custom soundtracks? I'm really not a fan of Junkie XL's work, so as much as I appreciate the fact that they've done original music for the game - especially seeing as I listened to, oooh, 4 of the songs while playing On Tour - I'd rather listen to my own music. Without putting the CD player next to the couch, preferably.

miyuru

Ristamar said:
It'd be nice if they added MP3 support via SD card...

EDIT: ...which, after reading the 1up preview, seems to have 0% chance of happening. Dammit, EA. No cares about your five-****-layered tracks or Groove Gameplay.

No way man, my favorite part about SSX is the dynamic music. I absolutely adore it :) I've only played Tricky and SSX3, so I'm not sure how music was handled in On Tour.

If you ask me, I think EA gets way too much shit for EA Trax. At least from the SSX games I've played, music selections were perfect fits for the game, and the fact that the tracks were split into layers and built up as you played was excellent.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
miyuru said:
No way man, my favorite part about SSX is the dynamic music. I absolutely adore it :) I've only played Tricky and SSX3, so I'm not sure how music was handled in On Tour.

If you ask me, I think EA gets way too much shit for EA Trax. At least from the SSX games I've played, music selections were perfect fits for the game, and the fact that the tracks were split into layers and built up as you played was excellent.

It worked well for Tricky and SSX3 because they had a number of good songs on there. I just can't see this working with Junkie XL, personally.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm cautiously looking forward to this.

I know the question is disliked by many, but I must know the framerate. Does this game run at 60 fps? The drop to 30 fps was one of the reasons why I didn't care for On Tour. Blur at 60 fps should be a cake walk, but I fear they may not put in the effort. Anyone know?

Man does this game look sweet. The graphics are sick, and 60 fps? Nice! The control really intrigues me. I love the fact that EA Big decided to implement this much motion detection. Carving with the nunchuck sounds like a blast. I was concerned that the 27th was a false date, but now that people are claiming to have played the final build, I'm excited. Sonic today, and then SSX next week?! Sheesh, and I thought February was going to be a dry month for me! :D

dark10x

As expected. SSX3 was 16:9/480p on all three systems, so there would have been no reason for this to be anything else.

Hopefully they do not use 16-bit color.

PLEASE someone answer me this: is it one big continous mountain like in SSX3? I used to love just getting to the top and spending 30 minutes just sliding to the bottom.

big_z

Sugarman said:
PLEASE someone answer me this: is it one big continous mountain like in SSX3? I used to love just getting to the top and spending 30 minutes just sliding to the bottom.

I think in the latest ign interview they say you can go down the mountain top to bottom.

Im hoping the game turns out really well, i've always wanted to get into ssx but never really had the time.

jjasper

Sugarman said:

From what I have seen it is

dark10x

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I'm actually more bummed about the lack of online than I am the lack of high-def. SSX Blur 2, anyone?
Hopefully we'll see a new SSX on the 360 as well (beautiful visuals + 5.1 + online play).

Do it, EA!

Man, it pisses me off how Nintendo cheaped out on the graphics with wii!
You do realize that, of all 3D consoles that have existed, PS2 has the largest percentage of 60 fps titles...right?

If anything, the Wii has been a complete flop on the framerate front. Most of its games aren't even up to XBOX standards yet so many of them do NOT run at 60 fps. There's no excuse. If you're delivering PS2 quality visuals on something like the Wii, your game better run at 60 fps.

Ristamar

alistairw said:
It worked well for Tricky and SSX3 because they had a number of good songs on there.

Yeah, that was my main point and the reason for my concern. It wasn't so much about the interactive music (which wasn't all that interactive, IMO), it was about the great song selection.

Wow, I hadn't seen that IGN interview before. Sounds solid; like a good refinement of the last 2 games in the franchise + Wii controls.

I want now. This one should get some high scores.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
How come we're a week from release and we still havn't seen any multiplayer videos/pictures/info.
I mean it was confirmed to be in, Don't know about you guys but multiplayer is the most important thing for me in an SSX game.

Alright, I updated the first post with tons of info. This game is going to rock.

Heads up, Amazon.com is selling it for $45, that's $5 off the MSRP, and you can get 2 day shipping free for trying Amazon Prime.

I'd give you a link but you really ought to search it through GAF above.

Top Bottom