• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Usain Bolt ballwashing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Who cares about Usain Bolt... in 4 years he will be forgotten like Donavan Baily and Michael Johnson before him.

quaere

ForzaItalia said:
This is idiotic. Bolt originally began training for the 400 metres and then the 200 metres before he even tried the 100 metres. Moreover, he said the reason he never ran through the line at Beijing is because he was so excited that he was so far ahead of the pack and that his main goal was to get the record in 200 metres as he already owned it in the 100 metres.
That was just my impression based on his behavior. Admittedly, I haven't done much of any research into whether he actually trains a lot or not. If he does, good for him.

Hitman said:
Who cares about Usain Bolt... in 4 years he will be forgotten like Donavan Baily and Michael Johnson before him.
True. They've been so completely forgotten, you couldn't even remember their names.
That was just my impression based on his behavior. Admittedly, I haven't done much of any research into whether he actually trains a lot or not. If he does, good for him.
Of course he trains a lot. No amount of God given talent will let you do what he does without putting in hard work. He might not be an incredibly hard worker, but he's put in his time without a doubt.

Hootie

vyxqbk.jpg

hay guise

*runs*, or in this case, *swims*

Tristam

GHG said:
Fuck that shit. If you're that good so that you can blow a field away with just 60m of hard running and break the world record in the process then you'd treat the whole thing like a joke, especially at the age of just 21. Yeh his genes are probably the things getting him through mostly rather than hard graft, but if that was me I'd just think "heh... suckas".

That is why my favourite football player (soccer for some of you) of all time is Thierry Henry. Just naturally talented, made everything look so easy and generally just took the piss out of the defenders he played against.

Pity Henry isn't good enough to carry a team like the more talented and modest Zidane, eh? ;p

I don't care about an athlete's antics off the pitch/track/etc. If they're cocky about it like Bolt and Ocho Cinco, fine; if they're modest and private like Zidane or Batistuta, that's also fine.

aswedc said:

The entire premise of your argument hangs on his behaviour during the 100M Gold Final at Beijing. By jogging and half-celebrating 20M before the end he proved that he didn't work hard to get where he is? You didn't make an effort to understand the full context of the win. The fact that he already had the world record and the race was pretty much sewn up since Powell strangely didn't qualify was never a consideration of your assertion. People who come to broad and sweeping conclusions in full ignorance of the facts really tick me off for some, I'm sure, very silly reason.

Furthermore, the 200M race where he broke the world record showed both natural prowess and amazing skill; skill that comes from hard work, in the way he leaned into the corner (a top three finisher in the same race was disqualified for going outside the line whilst attempting to do this well), and kicked high and took long strides - something that Michael Johnson could never pull off. (he infamously took shorter, sharper steps against the common wisdom of the sport and is still the 400M WR holder)

True, he is a freak of nature, well-attuned to the sport he competes in - much like Phelps and his amazing wingspan - but the real reason why it all looks so easy is because of his brash and confident personal style. I think with most anything, most people have the potential to achieve highly and a smaller number exceptionally, but a lot of those people won't put in the graft to truly fill that potential. Begrudge guys like Phelps and Bolt their natural talent all you like, but there definitely was hard work involved in getting to where they are now. Most people who argue against that, in all ranges of areas, are usually insecure and wish to feel more comfortable in their mediocrity.

GHG

Gold Member
He'll run under 9.5 one day, I'm convinced of it. He had a bad start and he slowed at the end. If he got a start like he did in his 200m and then ran through like he did in the 200m he can break the 9.5 mark if the conditions are right.

Manics

Banned
duderon said:
He should do a flat out 400 one of these days. Michael Johnson would lose his shit.

Eventually he'll break the 400m. Probably saving it for a big event like the World Championships. He'll break it and saunter all at the same time.

Manics

Banned
Just watched the Toronto race. Shitty weather, he easily won running a flat 10. The fucking clock stopped at 9.2. We can't even get a clock right.

Tapiozona

Banned
K.Jack said:
I had a feeling I knew what it was going to be, and I was not disappointed. :lol :lol

The kid isn't arrogant though; he says he doesn't even care about the accolades. All he wants to do is run, and win.

Hating on the naturally talented just reeks of insecurity.

Oh, you mean like how Usain Bolt hated on Michael Phelps' natural talent? You know, the greatest his sport has ever seen? You know, the greatest olympian ever? You know, 8 gold medals in one olympics?

reeks of insecurity right?

Manics said:
Bolt ran last night, 9.79 after a brutal start. He's gearing up for the World Championships in Berlin. Hopefully the world record falls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rdqoDKoXKA

Love this comment:

"only man in history that can run a 9.79 and be disappointed... "

So true...:lol

Bolt gets a pathetic start, comes from dead last and still runs that time...insane...and who is this 19year old Blake dude running a 9.93??!!

Where does Jamaica find these guys? :lol

Manics

Banned
Read a comment:

"I'm at 85 per cent - there is more work for me to do. It wasn't a perfect race but it was good enough for me," said Bolt.

Lol. 85% and he runs 9.79 in the rain

Manics

Banned
Bolt easily into the semis for tomorrow at the world championships. Can't wait to see him destroy Gay while sauntering across the finish line waving his arms.

Manics said:
Bolt easily into the semis for tomorrow at the world championships. Can't wait to see him destroy Gay while sauntering across the finish line waving his arms.

I wouldn't say easily. It's not like he got 1st in the heat. Sure he probably had the race under control, but it's never a good idea to give your biggest competitor (Tyson Gay) more confidence that he can beat Bolt.

perfectchaos007 said:
I wouldn't say easily. It's not like he got 1st in the heat. Sure he probably had the race under control, but it's never a good idea to give your biggest competitor (Tyson Gay) more confidence that he can beat Bolt.

Gay is already using the "sore groin" excuse after the races. :lol @ Asafa almost blowing it in the first heat by coasting way too much. Bolt gave the race to his training partner Bailey. :D That's how much of a nice guy he is.

This track is fast! I say three guys run in the 9.7s or under in the finals tomorrow.

Book it.

Manics

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Jesus dude did you even watch the quarters? Bolt was laughing it up talking to Bailey at about 50-60 meters. They were both jogging at the end. The only race that matters for first is the final.

Manics said:
Jesus dude did you even watch the quarters? Bolt was laughing it up talking to Bailey at about 50-60 meters. They were both jogging at the end. The only race that matters for first is the final.

It was like two guys jogging through the park :lol

Kikujiro

Yes, 9.89 without even trying (he ran only 50 metres), world record for sure in the final, it only depends how much lower:lol

Was just reading that the IAAF will implement a "no false start" rule beginning on January 1st, 2010.

Wow...that changes everything in the 100 metre sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom