• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

Gestault

Great write-up, and you seem to qualify a lot of your points in a really helpful way for readers. I hope I enjoy the underlying story as much as some have. Without details, would you say it's a novel story? In the sense of telling something that isn't as common in recent games?

Azdoune

Thanks for your impressions.
I can't wait to play it, I really hope the story and the characters are good. In trailers Lafayette seems to be interesting!

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
You started wrong.

Put off right off the bat.

Thanks dad

It was meant as an endearing joke referencing all the bickering about the game. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Some more specific notes about the Gameplay:

There's a wide variety of guns at your disposal, all of which sound and feel as tangible as their rendering looks. You can feel the gun powder making the metal snap against the battered, grainy wood of your rifles. Explosions leave believable carnage and destruction, both on the environment and the enemies. All of which is accentuated by various uses of on-screen effects like DOF and motion blur, especially as you take cover.

Cover is another curious aspect of the game. You can move in pressing circle, vault or get out of it by pressing X or simply walking away from it. You're able to move and fire while in cover, and depending on which side of the left stick you're pointing at, Galahad will pop out from the side, or up top. It gives the combat a more organic feel, rather than simply popping UP. Blind fire also works beautifully from many different poses.

Your pose depends on whether you're engaged in combat or undetected, so it's context sensitive.

I'll keep updating as I remember.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Guys, let's not start the us vs them mentality on this thread too.

The other impressions thread got closed because of this. If you are hyped that's great, don't start this soft accusation of other members that have some reservations about the game.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The refusal to give you even a hint of the story isn't a clue?

I mean, I assume he enjoyed it but the wording could be interpreted as somewhat ambiguous. I'm sure every story-driven game was intended to be experienced without being previously spoiled.

Apparently, according to some, there were negative impressions in the spoilers thread. And I ain't going in there to read them.

The Order 1886 is for lovers of old fashioned single player experiences. For those who want to see strong efforts in storytelling-focused games make a comeback. It's a highly curated museum piece for old-timey, story driven videogames, and if you cherish having a collection of finely produced games, then that's the value of The Order in a nutshell. If you're excited for a strong new IP with endless possibilities and want to see RAD put out new iterations of this level of quality, then give them the nod. I already have.

Sold. I just preordered it. Thank you for your impressions. I'm all about single player, story driven games and have started to like linear ones much more because of the time constraints I have on my gaming.

Out of 10, what would you give it?? My mouse is hovering over the pre-order button and I'm waiting on that number man.

Do yourself a favor and don't look for rating, just look at what this game does and try to be then if you are interested go ahead otherwise skip it.

Sounds like a game I'd enjoy once, but that one time is definitely not going to be at the cost of 60 dollars. Thanks for the impressions.

If you can't pay $60 for the single player games (only games that can be played offline forever) which focus on story that can be played only once then you are not gonna see them anymore in future other than online multiplayer F2P games which is the future we are gonna see(already it began as we can see so many F2P and online only games where you are not asked to pay at first but need more than $60 to see everything in the game). Seems like Single player AAA games are not anymore if gamers keep saying that they won't pay $60 for them then developers won't try unless if the IP they are doing is popular one which is going to be rare release for those.

Alienous

If The Last of Us is a majestic Eagle, what kind of bird would you say The Order: 1886 is (and you can't say Crow or Raven, say Pigeon)?

Derpyduck

Banned
He did right, many gamers these days don't appreciate old fashioned single player games so they are like children. They want multiplayer which they can afford $60 even if its repetitive with few maps but cannot pay $60 for the single player games even though the development and creativity required for this more.

My assumption was he did it because the people blindly defending the game and the people blindly attacking it are acting like children.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Your conclusion is exactly what I wanted from The Order. Fantastic.

Same. I still won't get it around launch as I've got several games to get through first and it doesn't seem worth a day one price to me. But I was just hoping for a cinematic, story-driven third person shooter so it looks right up my alley.

vpance

Thanks for the impressions. How's the AI? Is it more like Doom or Uncharted? Are the halfbreed fights more interesting and fun than the humans?

Frillen

Question: are chapters replayable? If I miss a collectible trophy or a combat trophy I can just replay a chapter and get trophies that way?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Great write-up, and you seem to qualify a lot of your points in a really helpful way for readers. I hope I enjoy the underlying story as much as some have. Without details, would you say it's a novel story? In the sense of telling something that isn't as common in recent games?

It's hard to say because the plot itself and devices can seem a bit tropey at times, while the character dialogue and interaction are definitely novel. It's a strange beast. Definitely not commonplace though.

DevilFox

Sounds good. I could be able to pick up a copy tomorrow if I'm lucky and, time permitting, I'll share my opinion a couple of days before 20th.

Sold. I just preordered it. Thank you for your impressions. I'm all about single player, story driven games and have started to like linear ones much more because of the time constraints I have on my gaming.
Thats how I feel. I rarely finish games these days. Its a nice change to have a focused (linear) SP experience on the new consoles.

If you can't pay $60 for the single player games (only games that can be played offline forever) which focus on story that can be played only once then you are not gonna see them anymore in future other than online multiplayer F2P games which is the future we are gonna see(already it began as we can see so many F2P and online only games). Seems like Single player AAA games are not anymore if gamers keep saying that they won't pay $60 for them then developers won't try unless if the IP they are doing is popular one which is going to be rare release for those.

This. I've never subscribed to the "x amount of hours per x amount of dollars" train of thought. Is the game as long as it should be? This is all I care about.

Loudninja

It was meant as an endearing joke referencing all the bickering about the game. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Some more specific notes about the Gameplay:

There's a wide variety of guns at your disposal, all of which sound and feel as tangible as their rendering looks. You can feel the gun powder making the metal snap against the battered, grainy wood of your rifles. Explosions leave believable carnage and destruction, both on the environment and the enemies. All of which is accentuated by various uses of on-screen effects like DOF and motion blur, especially as you take cover.

Cover is another curious aspect of the game. You can move in pressing circle, vault or get out of it by pressing X or simply walking away from it. You're able to move and fire while in cover, and depending on which side of the left stick you're pointing at, Galahad will pop out from the side, or up top. It gives the combat a more organic feel, rather than simply popping UP. Blind fire also works beautifully from many different poses.

Your pose depends on whether you're engaged in combat or undetected, so it's context sensitive.

I'll keep updating as I remember.
Man I love the sound of this.

Thank you for the well written impression, looking forward to it. I'll be renting anyway so I'll be able to get everything I need out of it without feeling like I'm discarding it too soon for my money.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Bit flowery with the impressions but seem near aligned with my own expectations. I'm not there day 1, but I'll get around to it eventually.

I think it harkens back to Metal Gear Solid in terms of pacing, to Killzone 2 for its gunplay theatricality, and to Vanquish, for its replayability.
I'd figure that Vanquish has decent replayability because of the skill curve in the game's mechanics. Not sure exactly how you mean it here though, in relation to The Order, especially after the caveats re: gameplay.

Replayability is probably my number one question with this game, especially when it comes to when to pick it up, if it turns out OK.

Grady

Sounds OK, glad to hear the story and visuals are really immersive, but I'm still very cautiously optimistic.

W/out online features, the story and replayability are going to be key for me.

Online features are what killed story driven games imo.

This is not an rpg, what the hell are people expecting. Bioshock infinite, 10 hours no online. Evil within 10 hours no online. Dead space 1 and 2, 10 hours no online. Resident evil 4, 10 hours no online. Dead space 3 and resident evil 5 both ruined by coop....this is typical length for a single player game.

Freeman

Banned
If The Last of Us is a majestic Eagle, what kind of bird would you say The Order: 1886 is (and you can't say Crow or Raven, say Pigeon)?

120px-018Pidgeot.png

Tapejara

I have a question that's been nagging at me: I accidentally read the
name of the secret trophy in the game
. Did I spoil myself pretty badly?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

This is fun.

I'm guessing... peacock.

Gestault

It's hard to say because the plot itself and devices can seem a bit tropey at times, while the character dialogue and interaction are definitely novel. It's a strange beast. Definitely not commonplace though.

I can dig that. When tropes are used as a bounce-board for more human or interesting reactions, I can't say a word against them. Playing with expectations is a big draw for me. I'm glad to hear it.

Gammacide

SOO excited for Friday. Just got my PSN cards to pre-order the digital version. Can't wait to immerse myself in what sounds like an incredibly interesting and authentic Victorian mystery (albeit with huge effing guns and crazy *nightmare creatures*. Yes, I am hoping this creates an atmosphere like Nightmare creatures did). Plus I desperately need to something to take me away from Destiny for a while. :p

Damn! Them's some positive impressions.

Getting me all kinds of hyped. I keep going back and forth on buying this day 1 or waiting until it's 10 or 15 bucks off, but I'm really thinking I gotta Day 1 it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Your impressions make it sound exactly like the game I wanted it to be. Feels like every game lately has been an open-world collectathon, I'm really in the mood of a brutal cinematic TPS right now.

VinFTW

I mean many gamers are like children these days who don't know what are single player games actually because they got addicted to multiplayer online games so forgot old fashioned SP games.

again: da fuk

seriously stop, no ones a child because they want some value for their $60. Whether that means a longer SP campaign, replay-ability, MP, coop, etc... doesn't matter.

theWB27

Still conflicted on if this is what I want to spend my budget on. Nothing is actually scaring me away from what I've heard and the short time I saw on Live from Playstation just upped me wanting to get in.

Also...people need to get over the children thing...it was harmless and such a nitpick over everything else written in the OP. Lighten up a bit. I just took it as...it's storytime gather around.

Freeman

Banned
again: da fuk

seriously stop, no ones a child because they want some value for their $60. Whether that means a longer SP campaign, replay-ability, MP, coop, etc... doesn't matter.

They can be depending on how they react when they don't get what they want.

Not that I agree with the way it was said.

Top Bottom