• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 - New Gameplay Footage Released Before Embargo

Bsigg12

This isn't a comparison thread though (is it?). They can take that elsewhere imo. Personally, I'll just ignore the silly comparisons

It's a thread about a game we are just learning about. Of course people are going to draw comparisons to aspects of games it reminds them of. Is a Titanfall thread not filled with CoD with mechs comments? Fact is people are going to try to relate to it. They're going off what they have in front of them.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Hmm. Didn't really show off enough for me to get a feel for it. Do we know when during the game this footage was taken? Feels like it would be closer to the beginning.

As for the visual presentation:
lewd.gif

Potentially the best I have ever seen. I didn't think Shadow Fall would be rivaled so soon. Seriously impressive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gameplay I'm not sure about, simply because this vid shows nothing but bog standard third person shooting, and even though I do enjoy a good shooter I can't tell if it's good/bad without feeling the hit feedback, cover system, and controls for myself.

Obviously outstanding visually. The technology is incredibly impressive, but what impresses me more is the art direction, how cohesive and focused it is. Graphical purist probably won't like the abundance of filters, motion blur, and depth of field, but it reminds me a lot of Resident Evil 4 in that the art is working in synchronisation with the rendering engine to ensure it looks as good as it can. The lighting, shadows, colour filtering, and blur all look intended, and it makes the overall visual presentation even more impressive.

Only thing I'd whine about, just being a stickler, is the lack of parallax occlusion mapping or tessellation on the brick walls. Giving them some real geometric depth would be nice. But considering how good the rest of it looks, it's possible they just don't have the headroom to make the calculations and maintain a solid framerate. Or they tried and it looked gross, not working well with their lighting/shadowing engine or something.

libregkd

I'm actually glad it seems the QTE sections aren't just standard "Press this button to do something awesome" It seems you can look around and look for objects that you can interact with. It's at least adding a level of interactivity with it.

JimiNutz

Banned
Looks nice but still wanna see more gameplay.
Still know next to nothing about the gameplay. What will you be fighting? I heard something about werewolves and other monsters?
Shane we didn't see the environmental destruction as well.

Looks fantastic. Also liking what I'm hearing about making the transition between CG and gameplay seamless. Always wanted more games to attempt it after Lost Odyssey, so I'm glad to see someone pick up the torch.

ezekial45

Banned
I still can't believe they got the writer of HBO's John Adams for this game. The story for this game is gonna be something else.

Ravek

Banned
I'm pretty amazed that that was actual gameplay. Graphically, color me impressed.

Additionally, I love the cinematic look. I'm probably the minority though.

Yondy604

Banned
Please tell us what next gen gameplay is or should be? Keep hearing this complain again and again in 1886 threads. Maybe you should make a "next gen" gameplay game so we all know.

Also not much has been shown and this game has months to be cooked to perfection

How the hell would I know, I can't predict the future.

li bur

Can't watch it on my phone. How's the gameplay? Does it look satisfying?

Oh would gaf go mad if this game is a steampunk uncharted?

Well that certainly was a mixed bag. Graphics wise it certainly looks great, but what little shooting there was looked...dull. QTE's suck, and the rest of the footage did noting more that say, "Look at the pretty graphics.

Looks AMAZING.

But its going to get some serious hate for that 21:9 forgot black bars for 99% of the game is not fun, at least for me.

But the few people that has a 21:9 tv yes they do exist

It will look AMAZING.
dsc02330-jpg.125133

They really need to make a marketing deal with Philips

Jigorath

Banned
It looks gorgeous! Really outstanding for a studio that mostly made portable games.

But yeah and you guys will quote me.
After playing Ryse (which showed me what next gen could do) I am not as wowed. Both even look about the same to me, lighting, texturing / character models etc

Still hate the 21:9.

Why do people keep bringing up Ryse in these threads? They're two completely different games, no point in comparing them.

- J - D -

Game looks truly amazing, technically, artistically.

I noticed that the framerate seemed to lose fluidity on occasion during that video, but there could be a number of factors causing a that.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I absolutely LOVED the part where it went into a QTE, but instead of just a generic button press, you were able to pick out of a selection of things to grab and interact with. Knife, Brick, whatever.

Really looking forward to that trailer.

Melee QTE looks... dumb. Too much watching, not enough QTEing, y'know? It's like seven or eight seconds of tussling and then you press a button for one random attack, then more tussling for a while before the game remembers "Oh, right, QTEs!" :p

The rest looks neat, though. I look forward to seeing the full footage without some jerk talking over the whole thing.

erawsd

I dont know why but the reticle movement drives me nuts...

Strange that they would showcase clips of someone that looks like they've never played a TPS before.

Looks AMAZING.

But its going to get some serious hate for that 21:9 forgot black bars for 99% of the game is not fun, at least for me.

But the few people that has a 21:9 tv yes they do exist

It will look AMAZING.
dsc02330-jpg.125133

They really need to make a marketing deal with Philips

Well those TV's are 2560 x 1080, so there's gonna be some scaling

Ishan

I still can't believe they got the writer of HBO's John Adams for this game. The story for this game is gonna be something else.

what ? alright my main concern was script. that seems to be addressed. now my only work is tps burnout of this storytelling medium ... but i think i can make it thru 2 3 more of these before that hits properly so hopefuly by then some new gameplay mechanics are involved .... till then bring it on ... game looks awesome btw.

Chuck

Still without luck
The game certainly looks amazing visually, but out-of-place, waist-high walls...kinda done with them.

broony

Look great. Commentator guy's voice grates. Looks QTE heavy. I hope you still feel in control most of the time.

_hekk05

Banned
AI for example. You can see one guy being shot and the guy right next to him doesn't notice.

Actually, since they are in a current firefight, it is entirely possible that the guy is so deafened by gunshots that he can't tell where gunfire is coming from, and assumes the guy got shot by the bloke in the window.

When the guy gets shot in the back (and killed), he was standing up, making it entirely plausible.

Obviously this is just speculation. Please wait for more footage or for the game to come out for more detailed AI analysis.

-MD-

I'm not familiar with him but the story is what's gonna end up setting this game apart from other TPS if that trailer is anything to go by.

I really hope you're right, we need more great stories in games.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks really good! Can't wait to see more.

Also is that the soundtrack of the game I hearing? If so, it's fuckin good also.

I see so much potential jn this series, hopefully it won't be bogged down as "merely" a coverbased shooter.

Yondy604

Banned
Then what exactly do you mean when you criticize is for not having "next-gen gameplay"?

Because I wanna be wowed with gameplay AND graphics, I want to see a game where it makes me wonder, wtf thats crazy, never knew you could do that.

Kind of like TLOU did with animation.

Soma

Looks beautiful. Really hope the gameplay mechanics offer something unique but I'll be content if they do their job well enough.

CCIE

Banned
Utterly seamless transition between gameplay and CGI... that is some impressive stuff. I want to see more about the environmental destruction. Best looking game I've ever seen, and as someone else said, we haven't seen ND yet.

Don't be surprised to see Sony buy RaD in the near future. They passed their non-portable test with flying colors.

Top Bottom