• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylineRKR

I just finished the game, have to say while it's far from perfect it's hard to believe what some sites wrote about it.

I don't have as a big of a problem with the overall metascore as I do with what reviews said about it being unfun, but I supposed that's where the subjectivity comes in.

Maybe this game just doesn't appeal to the majority of gamers or critics, but I liked what I played.

I think its not a bad game either. I mean the game delivers on what was promised. RAD never told us that it would be a huge TPS with multiplayer. They chased a cinematic single player approach, which could be considered a bad move, but its what they did.

And The Order is a rather polished game compared to lots of other pieces of shit we recently had to endure.

I think The Order simply takes the fall for an industry that grew tired of lies and products that don't function as advertised (ironically The Order functions exactly as advertised). These same outlets have hyped up these scripted AAA projects to the max for years, its only recently that ratings have become less lenient. They've apparently sent the message, no more shallow games like this. The Order was there at the wrong time.

As for RAD, they're talented. They made my favourite God of War game for example (GoS), and Daxter was an excellent asset to the Jak saga. Perhaps they're the kind of studios that can work wonders with existing blueprints, but in any case I would entrust them with the God of War IP or perhaps even TLoU/UC.

Vice

What games are coming out that 'look' better? Certainly not Uncharted, visual wise
From a tech persoective? I am unsure. But, it's not like 1886 will be the best looking os4 game forever. ND, Santa Monica and Ninja Theory always out games that blow people away visually and push the platform. Personally, I think the Witcher 3 looks better but I think those have all been PC shots.

I think its not a bad game either. I mean the game delivers on what was promised. RAD never told us that it would be a huge TPS with multiplayer. They chased a cinematic single player approach, which could be considered a bad move, but its what they did.

And The Order is a rather polished game compared to lots of other pieces of shit we recently had to endure.

I think The Order simply takes the fall for an industry that grew tired of lies and products that don't function as advertised (ironically The Order functions exactly as advertised). These same outlets have hyped up these scripted AAA projects to the max for years, its only recently that ratings have become less lenient. They've apparently sent the message, no more shallow games like this. The Order was there at the wrong time.

Or...it's just not a particularly good cinematic game.

Why is this so hard to accept?

Thrakier

What Ready at Dawn have done is raise the bar, from a purely technical perspective, for videogame design, engineering and quality. The Order is a fucking technical marvel, and for that alone the game should have a place in video game history. The Order made nearly all other "next gen" games look like freshman year at Digipen.

Surely not. They have great artists and a very nice setting. That's it. A 30FPS game with clipping issues is not "a technical marvel" and surely it isn't a sign of craftsmanship. They just threw everything they had at visual details. Just like Beyond on PS3 had some almost life like char details. From an artist point of view, it's great craftsmanship, sure. But that is not what videogames are about.

Game finished. The least I can say is that I'm really conflicted on this one.

On one side:
+ the game is fucking gorgeous. Technically of course but also artwise...
+ the guns are quite fun to use and good sound design gives them some welcome punch
+ the premises of the game are really, really cool

On the other side:
- the script sucks. Sorry but that's the harsh reality. The overall plot is acceptable, the way it unfolds is bad. Direct-to-video bad with lots of unecessary stuff that comes out of nowhere (what? ***major spoiler***
Vampires
***/major spoiler*** now? Seriously?)
- The ending is a total screw-up. It took me by surprise and it was a bad one. I felt robbed and I had no sense of accomplishment. This is no cliffhanger, this is fucking up an ending.
- the gameplay really seems old like early PS3 old. Gameplay wise, it reminded me of that Jason Bourne third person shooter every body forgot about. Clearly not a good reference...
- the game is gorgeous but so limited in scope it's frustrating. It's gorgeous, I would like to explore it more. It's a game that screams for hidden lore to be found. Another missed opportunity.

I could go on but, in the end, the game like a huge waste of an opportunity. The world RAD set up was highly promising, the art is fantastic, the technology is top notch but, in the end, the game is weak. I don't think the game deserves a sequel. I wouldn't buy one built on the same blueprint. The license deserves a reboot though.

SkylineRKR

Or...it's just not a particularly good cinematic game.

Why is this so hard to accept?

I think its a good cinematic game.

Mind you its not my approach, I grew tired of games like this too. I prefer the likes of Wolfenstein and Evil Within giving me more gameplay and input.

But if I was a reviewer, I would set my personal opinion on the genre aside. And The Order delivers on what it tries to do. Its not a classic or anything but the current reviews and scores, which are at the low 60's, are way overboard. Broken pieces of shit have gotten away with more. Hell, even Beyond got away with more. Fucking hated that game.

The Order isn't the worst AAA game I played this gen. I'd rate it above the likes of Unity, Killzone SF and Watch Dogs and there are probably more.

antitrop

Surely not. They have great artists and a very nice setting. That's it. A 30FPS game with clipping issues is not "a technical marvel" and surely it isn't a sign of craftsmanship. They just threw everything they had at visual details. Just like Beyond on PS3 had some almost life like char details. From an artist point of view, it's great craftsmanship, sure. But that is not what videogames are about.
This is one of the most narrow-minded viewpoints I've ever seen. Who are you to decide what video games are "about"?

I think its a good cinematic game.

Mind you its not my approach, I grew tired of games like this too. I prefer the likes of Wolfenstein and Evil Within giving me more gameplay and input.

But if I was a reviewer, I would set my personal opinion on the genre aside. And The Order delivers on what it tries to do. Its not a classic or anything but the current reviews and scores, which are at the low 60's, are way overboard. Broken pieces of shit have gotten away with more. Hell, even Beyond got away with more. Fucking hated that game.

The Order isn't the worst AAA game I played this gen. I'd rate it above the likes of Unity, Killzone SF and Watch Dogs.

Maybe they like cinematic experience games but don't like this one. Saying a game delivers on what it sets out to do means nothing if you don't enjoy the end result. I mean, it's nice that you enjoyed it but if a reviewer didn't it doesn't mean they reviewed it incorrectly.

Gestault

This is one of the most narrow-minded viewpoints I've ever seen. Who are you to decide what video games are "about"?

To be fair, most would say if the superficial look of something is at the expense of compelling interactivity or interesting narrative, that would be a failure of a medium predicated on interactivity. I don't think it's as simple as an either/or equation like that, but I'd like to think most can understand the missed opportunity when state-of-the-art presentation is used in the service of a weak experience.

Apath

About six?ish hours in and have to say I am really enjoying it. There is a real lot of down time, quick time events, cut scenes, etc. that will make this a chore to replay, but as a first-time play through, it has been a great experience thus far.

Rembrandt

Banned
Game finished. The least I can say is that I'm really conflicted on this one.

On one side:
+ the game is fucking gorgeous. Technically of course but also artwise...
+ the guns are quite fun to use and good sound design gives them some welcome punch
+ the premises of the game are really, really cool

On the other side:
- the script sucks. Sorry but that's the harsh reality. The overall plot is acceptable, the way it unfolds is bad. Direct-to-video bad with lots of unecessary stuff that comes out of nowhere (what? ***major spoiler***
Vampires
***/major spoiler*** now? Seriously?)
- The ending is a total screw-up. It took me by surprise and it was a bad one. I felt robbed and I had no sense of accomplishment. This is no cliffhanger, this is fucking up an ending.
- the gameplay really seems old like early PS3 old. Gameplay wise, it reminded me of that Jason Bourne third person shooter every body forgot about. Clearly not a good reference...
- the game is gorgeous but so limited in scope it's frustrating. It's gorgeous, I would like to explore it more. It's a game that screams for hidden lore to be found. Another missed opportunity.

I could go on but, in the end, the game like a huge waste of an opportunity. The world RAD set up was highly promising, the art is fantastic, the technology is top notch but, in the end, the game is weak. I don't think the game deserves a sequel. I wouldn't buy one built on the same blueprint. The license deserves a reboot though.

welp, you sold me. i love that bourne game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Clipping issues? This game probably has the least amount of clipping I've seen in a video game, especially one with so many layers of clothing on the characters. The few instances of clipping or flickering do stand out more, though, since everything else is of such a high quality. To say this has clipping issues is pretty much calling every other modern 3D game a technical mess.

Chubear

Anyone know how sales are going?

Thought I saw a Tweet from someone at RAD and it read "3.8mill units sold". Didn't know if it was photoshopped or if true maybe sold to retail or something. Regardless, if indeed true then RAD should be good to go for a sequel.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Thought I saw a Tweet from someone at RAD and it read "3.8mill units sold". Didn't know if it was photoshopped or if true maybe sold to retail or something. Regardless, if indeed true then RAD should be good to go for a sequel.

Shipped or sold?

Cause 3.8 mill this quickly would seem a lil insane to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Shipped or sold?

More than insane. It's a PS4 exclusive and 3.8 million in the first couple of days is pretty much CoD numbers. Almost certainly bullshit, even if it's worldwide shipped numbers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That number is absolutely insane. I don't believe it for a second.

Thrakier

Well, I'd say there is a consense between gamers and critics a like resulting in games which marry atmosphere (which does not equal graphical fidelity but is rather a blend of different elements), playability and gameplay concepts the best, get the highest ratings.

So I'd say if you are trying to make a videogame and your main focus is on graphical fidelity, it'll lead to a product which can be fine and ok for different reasons, but surely not for being the best videogame. Playing soccer with a footbal is fun too and I encourage everyone to try it if they are interested - but would you call me narrow minded that soccer is probably best played with a soccer ball?

Chubear

Shipped or sold?

If the tweet is real then it's likely shipped ofcourse but none-the-less, that still would bode well for a squel for those who want more of the games' universe.

I just got done with the game. Played on normal w/ assist on and now moved on to Hard w/o assist. (Which is what I probably should have done in the first place) and you know what? Even I was almost put off by the reviews. The game certainly has it's flaws and weaknesses but holy wow, review sites giving this game 5 & less are just not legit. A 6 is very harsh for a developer's first time go at a AAA console IP and a new one at that. You look at the high production value in the game and instead of legit constructive critism, these reviewers choose to put these obviously talented developers out of work by ragging on them.

They worked hard on this thing and some reveiwers are so careless about how they ruthlessly dog on this company. Again, it has it's issues but constructive critism instead of mindless insults would be more beneficial for us gamers to get a better product in the future instead of killing off yet another obviously talented developer studio.

The 1st half of the game has pacing issues. Didn't like how there was more cutscenes than gameplay because though the gameplay was good, the gunplay takes the win cause it feels really meaty and sweet with awesome feel to the weapons but just when you're about to really sink your teeth into the meat of the gunplay and exploring more with a weapon that suits you or feel sweet for you, you're drawn into yet another cutscene. The pacing was off from chapters 1-6 which was essentially a tutorial. It took to long to get to the meat of the game.

Tutorials shouldn't take 6 chapters to orientate the gamer. After chapters 7-8 the game's pacing becomes much better as the chapters progress. A nicer flow of gameplay, though nothing overtly new but well done set pieces. Stealth areas initially felt irritating but once you get the flow, it's sweet and a nice addition to. I don't know how people finished all 16 chapters under 5hrs. That just seems impossible to me but meh, I can only play how I play.

Four or Five of the chapters weren't gameplay but roughly 12 of them were and like I said, the gunplay time picks up at a much better pace after chapter6. When playing the game before I got to ch.6 I didn't like the cutscene to gameplay ratio and I had put it in a 6/10 range but after finishing the game I see that RAD indeed did a great job on this new IP.

No doubt a squel will be beast. They do need to give better replayability. The world is gorgeously rendered and I wanted to explore corners etc but there's no incentive or reward for it so I can see how some would eventually just plow through the missions but I still wanted to check out the environments with this being my 1st PS4 game. A squel would need item discovery/reward system; a better story telling to gameplay ratio; 2-4 player co-op and some of that Naughty Dog sweet sauce on the MP; harder difficulty settings of various kinds; horde mode type thing would be welcome; more lycan battles both hand to hand and gunplay; flesh out the guns (they felt so good I wanted more)

I encourage you not to pay the negative reviews clout and go support these developers. It's obvious the worked hard on this. When some say this could be the next Uncharted, they are right. This IP has huge upside potential. We shouldn't discourage RAD because the potential for this game universe in the future is very promising.

Anyone know how sales are going?

Too early to tell, but it's holding up nicely in the various Amazon bestselling charts among the different branches, and there were a shitload of streams on Live on PlayStation when I checked yesterday. That's nothing concrete to go on, but I think the game will reach respectable, albeit very front-loaded, sales.

antitrop

It's Thrakier. 60fps is literally the only metric of quality he has.

I'm aware. =/

Well, I'd say there is a consense between gamers and critics a like resulting in games which marry atmosphere (which does not equal graphical fidelity but is rather a blend of different elements), playability and gameplay concepts the best, get the highest ratings.

So I'd say if you are trying to make a videogame and your main focus is on graphical fidelity, it'll lead to a product which can be fine and ok for different reasons, but surely not for being the best videogame. Playing soccer with a footbal is fun too and I encourage everyone to try it if they are interested - but would you call me narrow minded that soccer is probably best played with a soccer ball?

If the creator of Soccer used an American Football as the object of the game in the first place, would you know any better?

If Soccer was originally a game where you kicked around a prolate spheroid instead, and someone came up with the great idea of kicking a perfect sphere, instead, they would have just given it a new name. Thinking that the new ball would have to replace the old ball is rigid and closed-minded. We would be able to have both.

A question to those that beaten the game. Did the game did the "cinematic gameplay" in a good job in a way of telling and introducing a story? Some reviews and posters brought up the game had pacing, story, and character development issues; that the game really suffered from those as well(ignoring the gameplay for a moment) . As some people pointed out and from my own opinion, the game in terms of the story, didn't explain a lot and really ended abruptly, and was even cliche at times. To some of the posters and reviewers the game didn't do a good job at delivering that and a bunch of other linear games did a better job. If anyone thinks RaD approach was good or bad( the cinematic gameplay) ,why was it?

Thrakier

If the creator of Soccer used an American Football as the object of the game in the first place, would you know any better?

If Soccer was originally a game where you kicked around a prolate spheroid instead, and someone came up with the great idea of kicking a perfect sphere, instead, they would have just given it a new name. Thinking that the new ball would have to replace the old ball is rigid and closed-minded. We would be able to have both.

The point is not that you can't do it. The point is, that it's less fun. And - like you said - it's not soccer anymore.

So, coming back to videogames, before the analogys get out of hand - as far as I know, The Order wants to be a videogame. A pretty standard one, to begin with. And as such, I'll judge it.

mejin

Different opinions are different. Why is it so hard to accept?

There are a lot of people who hates the game, "played" on youtube and are still disturbed to see some good opinions about the game from people who actually played the damn game. Like people always tell me: Welcome to GAF.

antitrop

The point is not that you can't do it. The point is, that it's less fun. And - like you said - it's not soccer anymore.

So, coming back to videogames, before the analogys get out of hand - as far as I know, The Order wants to be a videogame. A pretty standard one, to begin with. And as such, I'll judge it.
But the problem comes when you start applying your own personal criteria as the true standard of video games.

It's okay for a game to just be about the graphics. It's up to the individual consumer to decide if that game is for them, and if so, for what price.

It's okay that The Walking Dead was just a visual novel. It's okay that Gone Home was just a walking simulator. It's all okay. There's plenty of room for different kinds of games. They're not all made for the express purpose of being enjoyed by every single person that plays them. They all have different goals, different priorities; They cater to audiences, like any product does.

Sean*O

Wow.

ive played through a large portion of the game this weekend and its a solid 7/10 for me. gunplay is solid and story is good enough. graphics are amazing but i think we all know that by now

really its a by the books/competent 3rd person shooter with an extra coating or two of shiny. it doesn't do anything new, but if you're looking for a fun way to kill a weekend and show off your new tv, you could do a lot worse then this

i really think its getting negative reviews/bashed because it doesnt do anything to offer "next-gen" gameplay. though i have no idea what that is, and i don't think any game of the ps4/xbone/wiiu gen has done so yet. and again if you dont like filmic/cinematic games then this isn't for you

kmag

I keep hearing how cinematic the game is. It's not cinematic at all, remove the film grain and it's essentially shot like a tv show. There's absolutely no spectacle in the cut scenes, it's all talking heads and walk and talks. The chances they had to show major set pieces they very obviously did not take (a bit like how Game of Thrones would show you the aftermath of a battle instead of the actual battle). The limited scope of the game in terms of what actually happens is actually one of the most surprising things about it.

RexNovis

Banned
The walking dead doesn't have nearly as many unexplained plot threads, it also has closure, and the characters most definitely to not have anywhere near as much depth, there are also plenty of legitimate reasons for the reviews, the short length being at the last of the list of issues, like the awful AI, the overly linear level design and lack of any kind of gameplay variety, the misleading advertising since we spend not even 5% of the fights fighting lycans, lack of any replay value, the awful instafail stealth where the guards can apparently easily overpower an ancient order of knights extremely easily until the story deems that it's not necessary anymore, the overabundance of cutscenes for every menial action, no way of tracking collectibles, no way to turn off tutorials with the game even somehow thinking that you forgot how to sprint at some points and teaching you the same mechanics over and over again, baffling design decisions like not being able to take cover while holding a lantern<---all of these are valid criticisms of the game. It's a long list of criticisms, and all of these are worse issues than the fact that the game is short.

I'm sorry but this after your defense of UbiSoft's shittastic release of Unity is just so ironic. So tell me CrossingEden have you actually played the game? Or are you just taking youtube videos and critics who you lambasted for their treatment of ACU's word for it? If you haven't played it please cease speaking about the game with such absolute authority as you have none to do so.

AngryMoth

I'm sorry but this after your defense of UbiSoft's shittastic release of Unity is just so ironic. So tell me CrossingEden have you actually played the game? Or are you just taking youtube videos and critics who you lambasted for their treatment of ACU's word for it? If you haven't played it please cease speaking about the game with such absolute authority as you have none to do so.
So instead of arguing his points you change the subject by bringing up something irrelevant and accusing him of not playing the game.

Also, does anyone want to make a case that you can't make a lot of valid critisms of the game by watching it on youtube considering it's almost 50% cutscene or qte and the gameplay does basically nothing to iterate on mechanism scene in games most of us have played before? Cos I'm not seeing it.

GVA1987

So instead of arguing his points you change the subject by bringing up something irrelevant and accusing him of not playing the game.

Also, does anyone want to make a case that you can't make a lot of valid critisms of the game by watching it on youtube considering it's almost 50% cutscene or qte and the gameplay does basically nothing to iterate on mechanism scene in games most of us have played before? Cos I'm not seeing it.

I wanted to make the exact same comment. Seems I can just about get the experience of The Order by watching it instead of playing it.

RexNovis

Banned

They are literally the exact smae points brought up in this thread 100s of times and I have addressed them multiple times before. The issues are absolutely exaggerated. They are made out to be far worse than anything I saw while actually playing the game and if you read trough impressions from others who have you'll see the same. But that's not the point. The point is the same person who vehemently objected to and villified reviewers for exaggerating claims of technical issues with ACU (which were not actually subjective and verified by countless users) is no shitting all over a game they likely haven't even played because the reviewers say so. It's absolutely ridiculous and deserves to be pointed out. Watching the game on youtube is in no way the same as playing it. Anyone insisting otherwise is kidding themselves.

For the record I'm saying he hasn't played the game because on multiple occasions prior to release hey made it clear they were completely content to watch it on youtube.

GVA1987

They are literally the exact smae points brought up in this thread 100s of times and I have addressed them multiple times before. The issues are absolutely exaggerated. They are made out to be far worse than anything I saw while actually playing the game but that's not the point. The point is the same person who vehemently objected to and villified reviewers for exaggerating claims of technical issues with ACU (which were not actually subjective and verified by countless users) is no shitting all over a game they likely haven't even played because the reviewers say so. It's absolutely ridiculous and deserves to be pointed out.

To be fair I saw plenty of people shitting on Unity without playing the game also. Seems plenty of people have played this game and share the same criticisms.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Check my psn trophies and try actually refuting the points.

What is up with that EGM review?

The Order: 1886 is a paper-thin PS4 launch title delivered 15 months behind schedule

It was never promised/announced to be a launch title.

This aint DriveClub.

Man this thread. It's all about personal perspective. Speaking on AC Unity for example, I was one of the few that really enjoyed it, warts and all. I've not finished The Order 1886 yet, but for me it's already more replayable to me then AC Unity or most AC games for that matter. That gunplay is just too good for me. AC Unity was another typical AC story/playground with open world checklists that mostly sticks out due to its location. I've not even bothered playing the DLC yet and I know another AC game is another 8 months or so away. I probably won't be bothered to replay it either due to its length. The Order 1886 I see myself going through a few more times this year due to its shorter length and cinematic presentation. It's all about what we're looking for out of our gaming experiences.

Vroadstar

I wanted to make the exact same comment. Seems I can just about get the experience of The Order by watching it instead of playing it.

So you are assuming that physical interaction with the controller and seeing the game in it's full glory is the same experience as watching it on YT just because you don't like the game? sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom