• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 | Tools of The Trade

fedexpeon

Banned
Lol.

Driveclub- don't talk about the roads.
The Order- don't talk about the game.

What is there to talk about?
It is a TPS.
That is.
Just a solid shooter, nothing groundbreaking like you said...But some people think devs need to reinvent the wheel every time.
What happen to the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it?
People demand the most unrealistic thing...geez, I think world peace is more achievable than catering to gamers wants.

farmerboy

I think the delay for this will serve it really well, similar to Driveclubs delay. It's obviously got production values through the roof and I trust that RAD will deliver on the gameplay. And the storyline looks interesting.

If it "only" ends up being a solid tps with a great story and insane visuals then I'll be happy. Not every movie is Citizen Kane.

Lots of cool toys to play with. I wish they would talk more about calling in air strikes. Is that even still a thing? Seems like such a cool mechanic but it has managed to stay off the radar for a while.

wapplew

One thing for sure, Art direction and design is top notch.
Seems like they still hiding a lot of information.

Percy

Banned
A lot has already been said about it in various threads, and I think you're perfectly aware of it. If you don't agree that what we've seen of the gameplay looks lacking, that's fine, but let's not go there again.

You're the one that started it though, so you don't really get to pull this one. At least have the balls to elaborate on what you meant :p

It looks like a generic console shooter imo too, if that was what you were getting at just say it, don't just try to weasel out of it by playing the victim once you're challenged ffs.

You're the one that started it though, so you don't really get to pull this one. At least have the balls to elaborate on what you meant :p

It looks like a generic console shooter imo too, if that was what you were getting at just say it, don't just try to weasel out of it by playing the victim once you're challenged ffs.

I didn't want to start anything, I only mentioned it because I thought that everyone knew what the common complaints about The Order are by now - mine are not that different. What I've seen of the human AI has looked pretty bad so far, that's the big one for me. The other biggie is that in the gameplay demonstrations that I've seen there often seem to be too many interruptions, to the point that there are sometimes more cinematic interjections than normal gameplay.

And yes, it all comes together in a somewhat generic fashion, but that's not a huge problem for me, as long as the gameplay is solid and fun. Unfortunately, the things that I mentioned stand in the way. There is plenty of time to tighten the AI, but I think the second problem runs too deep, it's tied to what they're trying to accomplish with this game/experience.

Loudninja

+ J Goldberg on September 19th, 2014 at 1:57 pm said:

We’ll be showing more gameplay of The Order: 1886 in the future, so stay tuned! This video is more of a behind-the-scenes look at how our game is coming together.

MrHoot

It is a TPS.
That is.
Just a solid shooter, nothing groundbreaking like you said...But some people think devs need to reinvent the wheel every time.
What happen to the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it?
People demand the most unrealistic thing...geez, I think world peace is more achievable than catering to gamers wants.

I would like it if it actually offered something new to the genre, or interesting to keep playing.

What I tried at Gamescom wasn't bad but it surely wasn't something to write home about. Once you pass the original 10 seconds of marvel of the animations and graphics, it quickly subsides and you find yourself playing it like any other corridor-based TPS.

They might shake it up a notch later on but so far, based on ALL the stuff shown and the gameplay I actually got to try, The Order is headed at something similar to destiny: nothing bad functionally but will be mostly met as a resounding "meh, s'aright" kind of reception if the gameplay is kinda like that for most of the time

Damerman

I'm so fucking glad that this is a story driven single player new IP with deep lore. Day 1. I need to pre order.

PerZona

Currently queuing up to play The Order in TGS... lots of ppl trying out the game, I've waited for around 1.5 hours already T.T

Superflat

The weapons look great so far.

Hope there's some real exciting ones that they haven't revealed yet.

I'm just glad they're talking more about the game, I almost feel too much of it is being kept under wraps to gain as much excitement as a new IP may need.

Loudninja

Currently queuing up to play The Order in TGS... lots of ppl trying out the game, I've waited for around 1.5 hours already T.T
So what are you impressions?

I know it the same demo but interested o see what another gaffer thinks.

Edit:Oh yeah they won a TGS Future Reward or something.

Loudninja

The weapons look great so far.

Hope there's some real exciting ones that they haven't revealed yet.

I'm just glad they're talking more about the game, I almost feel too much of it is being kept under wraps to gain as much excitement as a new IP may need.
They said they will show new gameplay but they dont want to show too much.
@ALastNac Thanks for the clarification. We're still in full development of the game, so there will be lots of changes / improvements to come
https://twitter.com/RAD_Studios/status/515210331996831744

I played that demo at Gamescom. It wasn't great. In fact, it was pretty poor. But it's an ancient demo, so I'm hoping that all these months of development will result in a more interesting game. Gameplay-wise, because it's certainly one hell of a pretty game.

I'm desperate to see more of this. Fingers crossed we get some new media in the coming weeks. It is probably my most anticipated game next year (along with The Phantom Pain).

joshcam19

Game looks great. Intrigued by story. Gameplay doesn't look revolutionary, but who cares, still looks like a fun TPS, but if there are enough cool weapons this game will do enough gameplay wise to easily be great. Hyped!

I played that demo at Gamescom. It wasn't great. In fact, it was pretty poor. But it's an ancient demo, so I'm hoping that all these months of development will result in a more interesting game. Gameplay-wise, because it's certainly one hell of a pretty game.

How was the gunplay and character movement compared to something like TLOU? Were the guns accurate on the first shot? How is the zoom and the level of wobble? Did the movement feel fluid enough?

How was the gunplay and character movement compared to something like TLOU? Were the guns accurate on the first shot? How is the zoom and the level of wobble? Did the movement feel fluid enough?

It seems a bit heavier than TLoU in terms of movement. I used the gun that sprays the fluid you can light up, so you don't really need to be accurate. My problem with it - the many cut scenes aside - was that it was basicallly sticking to cover, popping out to shoot, rinse, repeat, There was none of the dynamic movement and fairly open environments of Uncharted and TLoU.

It seems a bit heavier than TLoU in terms of movement. I used the gun that sprays the fluid you can light up, so you don't really need to be accurate. My problem with it - the many cut scenes aside - was that it was basicallly sticking to cover, popping out to shoot, rinse, repeat, There was none of the dynamic movement and fairly open environments of Uncharted and TLoU.

If I could interject.

I'm extremely happy to hear movement feels heavy. I like my shooters to have a real weight to them, so thanks for the information.

I would however say both Uncharted and The Last of Us are extremely different games. The former is a third person shooter with an emphasis on environmental traversal in battle. The latter is a action/stealth hybrid with relatively small combat areas.

From what I've seen I'd liken 1886 to Gears of War... with a dash of investigative gameplay in there for good measure.

I'm not at all saying you're wrong, far from it, but what you describe isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Fingers crossed they can come up with some interesting encounters.

It is a TPS.
That is.

Only if the game is not on their platform of choice. There is little need to defend your console with a title that is made by a 3rd party.

Top Bottom