• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 wins VES realtime graphics prize

Deserved.

Underrated game though. Not great, but solid enough to have such potential for a sequel.

They designed a beautiful movie you walk through.

What about the few shooting gallaries they bothered to design gives you the feeling of potential?

The game carries itself entirely on presentation.

Pif

Banned
Also no Rise of Tomb Raider in there? No Until Dawn??
Isn't Siggraph something like awards too ?

Lingitiz

They designed a beautiful movie you walk through.

What about the few shooting gallaries they bothered to design gives you the feeling of potential?

The game carries itself entirely on presentation.

The funniest part about the game is that it's all in service of presenting such a bad story. It would be one thing if it was simply average or forgettable. But The Order's story is legitimately one of the worst of 2015. It's so incredibly stupid and unfinished.

Well deserved. It had the best visuals I ever seen in a published videogame.

Yes, it's a game. And opinions like yours are the reason of why we see little innovation in this industry.
While I agree with that sentiment generally, the only thing the Order innovated in was how to create pretty enviornments.

The funniest part about the game is that it's all in service of presenting such a bad story. It would be one thing if it was simply average or forgettable. But The Order's story is legitimately one of the worst of 2015. It's so incredibly stupid and unfinished.

Yup, Such a waste of incredible visuals and atmosphere. The twist you see coming from a mile away, the half baked romance plot, secret plot and investigating mentor/father figure, no one saying what they fucking think instead sparking a bunch of bullshit drama, it just checks so many boxes.

I can think of other unfinished stories that are praised around here yet came in 3rd place in the goty rankings.

A visual award and the same butt hurt people as always getting their shot in about the garbage gameplay.

How does it go... Gaf gonna Gaf.

c0de

Also no Rise of Tomb Raider in there? No Until Dawn??
Isn't Siggraph something like awards too ?

Yeah, never heard about this award before. SIGGRAPH is what you can be proud of. Doesn't mean the game has no chance here, though. IIRC Ryse also won at SIGGRAPH before.

c0de

A visual award and the same butt hurt people as always getting their shot in about the garbage gameplay.

How does it go... Gaf gonna Gaf.

what do you wish/expect? a one hundred page thread full of “good“, “deserved“, “awesome!“, “gimme sequel“?

NeoRaider

This thread... i am choking. :D

But seriouslly... no ROTTR, no Until Dawn, TW3... what kind of competition is this? What a mess.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Yeah, never heard about this award before. SIGGRAPH is what you can be proud of. Doesn't mean the game has no chance here, though. IIRC Ryse also won at SIGGRAPH before.
Wasnt that PC Ryse though?

Ban Puncher

j75vIc8.png

ss_lemonade

Why no Arkham Knight? I'm currently playing the PC version and I'm constantly in awe with how good the game looks (and I've played and beaten other good looking games like Witcher 3 and The Order). I'm also glad it actually performs rather decently for me after reading all the negative impressions

sono

Congratulations, that is really good recognition. I see that Destiny was also nominated which is also deserved.

Pop

Congrats and well deserved

But this thread turned into shit like every other thread. Why is that allowed? Discussion is great but to come into a thread to shit post and then 20 others going "hurr hurr" agreeing, is fucking annoying. Just avoid the topic like every other normal person. Shows your maturity level.

Hektor

Those nominees, why?

There's a lot of squareminded people that can't see that a game isn't made for them.

Or maybe some people think it just sucks despite it beeing right up their alley due to its glaring issues. Crazy idea i know

Harlequin

Sure, except the majority is on my side so I'm curious on how anyone can find the characters charming or interesting.

First off, I doubt that any representative surveys on the matter have been conducted so you being in the majority is also a matter of perception (based on a relatively small, non-representative sample, I would imagine), not fact (if you're talking about general critical reception, of course, that may be a different story, but that's not what you're talking about). Secondly, a majority of people agreeing on something does not necessarily make it right or more valid. There are countless examples in history of things that were generally regarded as fact by most people at the time which later turned out to be utterly wrong. Of course, in this case there is no such thing as right or wrong because, while there are certain rules and guidelines which can be used to craft a story which could generally be said to be a good story with regards to most people's learned expectations and notions of what constitutes a good story, there is no way of empirically measuing or determining the quality of a story (or of fictional characters) and you cannot objectively call a story good or bad, no matter how many people may agree on either. And that is my point entirely. Your opinion is no more valid or "right" than that of anyone who did like the story and did like the characters and it doesn't matter whether the majority is "on your side" or not, that doesn't make it more or less valid.

RexNovis

Banned
100% deserved. Nothing even comes close. It is an absolutely stunning achievement in realtime rendering. Congrats to the team at Ready At Dawn.

c0de

Why are you guys discussing plot and gameplay in a graphics award thread?

Well, people play games and not graphics. It's not unusual to talk about the gameplay, especially when a game focuses more on graphics than on gameplay.

DieH@rd

Banned
Deserved wit. Game was technical masterpiece.

I still hope Sony will fund a sequel [with expanded gameplay options].

EGM1966

Hard to argue with that one.

I was hugely impressed with the engine and tech for the game.

Less so with the game but no need to go there I see salty folks already have.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hard to argue with that one.

I was hugely impressed with the engine and tech for the game.

Less so with the game but no need to go there I see salty folks already have.

Happens with every technical thread about the game.

thelastword

Banned
First off, I doubt that any representative surveys on the matter have been conducted so you being in the majority is also a matter of perception (based on a relatively small, non-representative sample, I would imagine), not fact (if you're talking about general critical reception, of course, that may be a different story, but that's not what you're talking about). Secondly, a majority of people agreeing on something does not necessarily make it right or more valid. There are countless examples in history of things that were generally regarded as fact by most people at the time which later turned out to be utterly wrong. Of course, in this case there is no such thing as right or wrong because, while there are certain rules and guidelines which can be used to craft a story which could generally be said to be a good story with regards to most people's learned expectations and notions of what constitutes a good story, there is no way of empirically measuing or determining the quality of a story (or of fictional characters) and you cannot objectively call a story good or bad, no matter how many people may agree on either. And that is my point entirely. Your opinion is no more valid or "right" than that of anyone who did like the story and did like the characters and it doesn't matter whether the majority is "on your side" or not, that doesn't make it more or less valid.
When a game gets a bad rap for gameplay, people will find ways to criticize every element of the game as possible. Like:

"Oh, black bars"
"The story sucked donkey b's"
"The characters had less charisma than driftwood"

Here we have a thread that awards 1886 for it's visuals and we have so many jabs and comments about gameplay, (which has nothing to do with visuals).

The funny thing is Ryse got a siggraph award for graphics, it's sitting at a lower meta than 1886, but what does that matter, it's about visuals not gameplay. The order also has better visuals than that, native rez, solid framerate, better sound, better environments, better character models and if we can touch up on some more....better sound and tighter controls.......

In any case, well deserved, 1886 has received the best graphics from more than one publication now anyway, it's definitely the best looking game on any platform.

Massively deserved by RAD.

Graphics and tech behind the game were absolute face melting stuff.
Nothing has topped it since though I expect UC4 to come close.

Sad to see the mud slinging has already started in a graphics topic but then again it is a The Order 18886 thread lol.

Top Bottom